Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

XP was a pretty good operating system but they should have charged for service packs like crapple :iamafag: :toot: :iamafag: :chord:

they sort-of did with the first one; if you installed with FCKGW and possibly some other mass-pirated keys you couldn't install service pack 1. microsoft got raked over the coals for that move since a ton of chinese pcs still run windows xp rtm and are basically botnet central, especially since xp rtm has vulnerabilities that only require an open connection to the internet without a firewall (i think pc's get infected within about 90 seconds)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Management posted:

it's not about affording, it's about being told by CJs that you can only use what makes their job the easiest instead of what makes your job the easiest. first sign of a broken company.

"what do you mean i need a password to log into my computer now?!"

- a government accountant i had to support once

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Internaut! posted:

can we hear more from some more bottom rung computer janitors about how Macs just can't be used for real work

1. That is an amazingly criterionesque poster

2. Macs do work very well if (and only if) the person working on it is either an island (doesn't work with other people, at least as far as his computer poo poo is concerned beyond basic email) or is working with others who are themselves strictly using macs, and they don't need some sort of managed central file server with constantly-evolving permissions and poo poo

- The second you start having to have people do financial poo poo a mac is out of the question.
- The second you have people either needing to send/receive Word/Excel files to other people, or do complex work involving those applications, a mac is out of the question.
- The second these people need to plug into a website your incompetent government put together that will only work with IE (and there are a fuckton of these if you need weird government poo poo like access to landscaping/seismic databases and poo poo like that) a mac is out of the question.
- You'd better hope they never suddenly need a Windows-only application.

You MIGHT be able to get some sort of basic file server working but it will be an absolute nightmare to manage and far more reliable on a Windows server.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

- up

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

word and excel are on os x and use the same file format as windows.

so does openoffice but there's a very good reason you don't see it championed for office use

quote:

you can use IE 6 under wine and it runs as well as it does on windows (read: not very well).

ok, now how about if the site requires all kinds of exotic plugins/java and poo poo like that? the sites work on newer versions of ie, but require a fuckton of plugins and poo poo like adobe reader (and only adobe reader) because they in-line pdf's on top of frames and crazy poo poo like that

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pram posted:

cool the main argument for windows is WHAT ABOUT OLD STUFF THATS DESIGNED BAD ? HMM?? CHECKMATE

welcome to cj'ing, enjoy your stay!

pram posted:

WHAT IF YOUR WEBSITE ONLY SUPPORTS A 12 YEAR OLD BROWSER MACFAGS

this is a legitimate problem. it was also fun when some of our small business clients bought a bunch of new windows 8.1 systems and then discovered a business-critical web portal shat the bed with ie11 and no amount of compatibility mode would fix it :shepicide:

Beeftweeter posted:

you're an idiot for equating openoffice and an office suite developed by microsoft

fine, it's a step up but office 2011 for timb still breaks all kinds of crazy files, especially excel poo poo. also a whole pile of outlook features (which of course will be MISSION CRITICAL for the person you're supporting) won't work.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pram posted:

microsofts updates are flawless like for example surfaces that were bricked by rt 8.1

-releases service pack 3 for xp-

-turns out it actually bluescreens many amd-based pc's-

-xp sp2 forever-

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

every company ever wrt IT: just keep the same poo poo rolling for 10+ years

:shepicide:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

wait i got yelled at by IT and they swore the ejecting tray thing wasn't a drink holder, now i don't know what to believe!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

my first computer ran at 12mhz, cost $2000, and came with a virus accidentally preinstalled by the manufacturer (packard bell lol)

8 MHz here. But dual 5.25" floppy drives. :pcgaming:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

enterprise does but the small business space buys a single copy when they replaces the computer every 10 years and upgrades office then. the subscription model is a shakeup for them

yup. still sell a fuckload of Home and Business copies of office because:

- you can walk into a local Staples and buy it and have it installed and running within like an hour, because small businesses do gently caress-all pre-planning.
- unless the business is a charity, buying office this way is way cheaper even per-license, and no re-purchase is required until the copy of office is horribly outdated

it is an enormous pain because we have to create a new dummy microsoft online account with the same name as the pc we're installing to and document all this info, but it's a few hundred cheaper per copy easily

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

office 365 is so much better for small businesses that its not even worth thinking about.

"why should we have to pay a subscription when we already own everything we need? like this sbs 2003 on a dynamic ip address exchange server and office 2003, 50/50 chance of using the FCKGW-equivalent for o2k3 copies of office?"

also office 365 subs (assuming we can even get the company to swing for the properly-priced one) come with office 2013 which doesn't work with xp so welp

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 10, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

the other fun thing about office 365 is that microsoft doesn't support anything past its mainstream support phase, so one of the companies we support that basically spent a fuckton of money on licenses back in 2007 but not a dime since got to go through the whole "well, your complicated-as-gently caress calendar sharing mess doesn't work in outlook 2007 anymore, and microsoft support basically told us to gently caress ourselves; you need a newer version of office but they only sell 2013 which doesn't work on your old-as-gently caress xp computers so you can either buy new computers and new licenses or use the web access, which we can't guarantee will continue working much longer from xp's ie8 either"

i think they're using the web access :ughh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

what else are they going to use? lotus domino?

don't loving give them any ideas, i already had one client using that poo poo

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

well there's also the fact that microsoft support can oftentimes be completely useless anyway

like, one of the few companies that did go all-in on the office 365 with full office license package had one user on an xp machine and the office 2010 that was still available at the time (but only for another few months) just completely refused to activate, there was some gently caress-up on the server side.

about 5 hours of jumping through ms support hoops and several days of waiting later, the answer came down and was basically "yeah, even though we publicly said you'd still be able to download office 2010, we're taking a mulligan on that declaration and actually your account is just glitched by letting you download the 2010 installer, you're only allowed to get 2013. ticket closed" :cripes:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

that's basically the right thing to do to customers that are complaining about things not working on xp

well, yes, minus the 5 hours of pissing around and the fake software download links

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

qirex posted:

the problem with selling home servers is that the stuff they're best for isn't things you can really talk about in an ad, it would probably cause some problems if MS was all "store your ripped DVDs and downloaded movies/TV in one place then stream them to any device" in an ad

"Store your Linux ISO's and stream them to any device at 1080p quality."

I wonder how long you could get away with something like that before getting angry letters from Stallman and/or Torvalds.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

when i think "local cloud" i think "gas leak/osha violation/dead bodies"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

i unironically wish i could put my dvd rips on my time capsule and watch them from my apple tv but i can't so i just keep that poo poo on my gaming pc

does appletv have plex support now? because that is extremely the poo poo for streaming to supported devices, or universal media server for dlna devices

extra bonus is if you subscribe to plex you can one-click convert movies and download them to your phone, and it works from outside your network as well so you can pretty much build your own netflix if your ul is good enough

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

Netbooks are fuckin' back and you know it because cheap windows laptops are too

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/14/5897641/microsoft-launches-a-price-assault-on-chromebooks

a laptop that doubles in price when paired with a "works great with" office license?

and can run desktop apps when microsoft's last entry in the space (with windows rt) couldn't?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

remember when MS said there were only going to be 2 SKUs for windows 8

lol

there are now only 12

per language

so...432 SKU's

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

has anyone said

american apparel did on twitter

in the twitter manager's "not american and born after the disaster"'s defense, it is a pretty impressive explosion in the sky

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

im still utterly baffled that they decided to ignore the beta outcry and shove the start screen down desktop users' throats, only to turn around and backtrack after the damage was already done

for both this and the xbox drm fiasco they only backtracked when people were demonstrably not buying/pre-ordering it. microsoft gives no fucks about customer satisfaction until it impacts their bottom line

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Last Chance posted:

i think they dropped this one (after 5 years)

Yup, just a few weeks ago, when devices that would stream without an extra subscription requirements started selling for less than a 1 year Gold membership.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Hello there,

[11 PARAGRAPHS OF CORPORATE GOBBLEDYGOOK]

You're fired.

[3 MORE PARAGRAPHS]

Regards,

Stephen Elop

I half-expected there to be a hidden message in one of the paragraphs, like this:

quote:

To win in the higher price segments, we will focus on delivering great breakthrough products in alignment with major milestones ahead from both the Windows team and the Applications and Services Group. We will ensure that the very best experiences and scenarios from across the company will be showcased on our products. We plan to take advantage of innovation from the Windows team, like Universal Windows Apps, to continue to enrich the Windows application ecosystem. If you are reading this, send an email to your HR representative saying "please don't fire me," the last 12,500 people to do so will be fired. And in the very lowest price ranges, we plan to run our first phones business for maximum efficiency with a smaller team.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Werthog 95 posted:

why are there two Microsoft Is Bad threads?

the other is titled "Microsoft is a top-notch company developing top-notch products" so logically that's a microsoft is good thread? or did you mean my terrible thread in games about the Xbox One All-In-One Entertainment System?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

25 CALs = 1 thread

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

eric posted:

The other thread is not authentic and YOSPOS may be a victim of counterfeiting.

-phones support hotline, waits 2 minutes while voice drones on in english and french, enters 54 random numbers, answers '0' to "how many other forums have you posted this thread in?" waits for "verified!" voice to chime in, clicks back and "i want to activate by internet", hangs up-

thursday afternoon cj'ing, motherfuckers

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

What a mis-informed article. Xbox Ones will sell a lot more once Halo The Masterchief Collection & Halo 5 release in November and 2015 respectively.

ehhh, anything is possible, i guess, but the Master Chief Collection marketing so far seems entirely focused on people who've played the first four games before (or at least most of them), and they almost certainly still have a 360 and can play all four games right now; they get better graphics and the ability to revisit halo 2's multiplayer, but i don't think that's worth $460 to most people

halo 5 could be successful but is the xbox one going to survive that long? sooner or later, one of the big publishers is going to decide it's not worth the effort and then it's completely hosed

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

this is what happens why you try to run that file

apple: "what the gently caress is a microsoft? block this poorly-coded poo poo!"

once again, tim is correct

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sniep posted:

more like

microsoft: "gently caress paying apple to sign our installer package that's horseshit, our users are perfectly fine getting around the limitations WE put in to windows, surely mac users are too"

are you suggesting microsoft doesn't know its userbase or how they use computers?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

homo punching bag posted:

i'd be pissed if i opened the lil gatorade fridge on the sidelines and it was full of tablets. smashin that poo poo.

pour it over the winning coach's head

make it hail tablets

Beeftweeter posted:

hes also the only person i know irl that has a xbone

does he carry that in his custom backpack too?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

this is the first step to them legalizing windows piracy

so, changing basically gently caress-all, in other words.

windows piracy is already quasi-legal there, microsoft had a deal a while back for china where if you brought them a convincing-looking pirated copy (like, disc had an actual hologram and poo poo like that) they'd give you a legit license in exchange

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Metrication posted:

aren't the chinese government switching to linux anyway

i think they're switching to red star os for solidarity with their nk juche bros

oh, and its latest version resembles macos so it's already outdoing windows

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

p sure it's a linux with a macos skin of some kind

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

as a resident of :quebec: with actually half-decent (at least for north america) worker rights, holy mother of gently caress microsoft

especially funny since european companies have taken to shutting off access to their servers after hours for most users because they'd have to pay them ot (which, you know, makes sense)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

i'd assume marketing counts as cost of sales but this is microsoft so who knows

well, they did have to localize this ad several times, down to changing the "friends" names to better match the names of people you're likely to know

Japanese Windows 8 ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASJUZChXKgg

Same ad, English version (all UI elements redone in English and "Friends" given more English-sounding names)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giZcbCh4CtU

Same ad, English version localized for Singapore (same as previous ad but "Friends" are renamed with generic Singapore names)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UJUVDiFhk8

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miley Virus posted:

i guess singapore has smaller regular ad spots?

probably. i don't know if they still do, but japan at one point had a game show where the prize was on-air time to pitch your product, the number of seconds you got based on how well you did

it was great if you wanted to practice listening to people speaking really, really fast due to only having 3 seconds of time at the end

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

homo punching bag posted:

i started to use this mouse ~6 months ago to see if it could cut down on some weird aching i had in my forearm. it worked, but the real benefit is nobody will loving touch my computer anymore because of strange moon mouse. its like office kryptonite

a left-handed mouse (like where the right mouse button is the primary button) will also do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miley Virus posted:

can i play marble madness using that thing

The arcade version should be playable with that, since it used a trackball originally

• Locked thread