Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
lets time travel to Apr 28, when nokia & ms had a celebration day for the acquisition

https://twitter.com/selop/status/460696817164746752/photo/1

Michael Lococo on April 28 posted:

@rlc_mac @selop So Mac you're actually thinking that Microsoft would abandon this in 3 1/2 months? Never happen! This is a great thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

mod sassinator posted:

they didn't lay off any contractors apparently, they just will stop allowing them access to buildings and the corporate network after 18 months. loving lol, it's seriously office space levels of insanity.

Kevin Turner, Microsoft’s chief operating officer, said in a memo to the company’s sales and marketing groups last week that the plan is to “reduce our reliance on contingent staff augmentation by over 20 percent year-over-year” in that part of the company, according to Mary Jo Foley of ZDNet.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/24/david_sacks_leaves_microsoft posted:

David Sacks, cofounder and former CEO of Yammer, has left his position at Microsoft after having steered the enterprise social networking service for nearly six years.
Sacks gave no reason for his departure on Thursday, choosing merely to tweet his thanks to the Yammer team, both at Microsoft and before.

Sacks got Sacked

i wonder how many other yammer people got axed

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
http://www.zdnet.com/chinese-microsoft-staff-protest-hostile-takeover-of-nokia-unit-violent-job-cuts-7000032287/

Chinese Microsoft staff protest 'hostile' takeover of Nokia unit, 'violent' job cuts posted:

Microsoft employees belonging to Nokia's division in Beijing have held another day of protests against job cuts following the Redmond giant's takeover of the handset unit.

The protests originally attracted hundreds of Microsoft employees, and according to MarketWatch, the second day of protests was held by almost 100 members of staff at Yizhuang industrial park. China's state media reported Sunday that Microsoft plans to cut 4,700 jobs from the Beijing-based unit, which will leave staff numbers of approximately 300, a steep drop from the unit's current staffing levels of 5,000.

Protesters say that Microsoft has broken its promise not to cut jobs within the first year following the acquisition of the Nokia handset division in April. The deal, agreed upon for $7.2 billion, transferred Nokia's handset unit to Microsoft, and also gives the tech giant access to Nokia's patent portfolio for ten years.

China National Radio (CNR) reported on Sunday that in addition to the layoffs, staff are protesting due to "inappropriate" compensation. According to the plan, staff laid off are entitled to two months' salary plus a month's pay for each year worked at the company. However, Nokia staff members told CNR that those who do not sign the plan will be fired, which could be in breach of Chinese labor laws.

Protesters outside the Beijing handset research and development center held slogans which accuse Microsoft of instigating a "hostile" takeover and "violent" layoffs. Reuters sources say the first wave of protest went on for approximately five hours until the protestors "had sore throats" from shouting.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Beeftweeter posted:

the real surprise here is that china has labor laws

the laid off expat managers at nokia are losing their residence permits and being deported oops

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Sassafras posted:

(edit: never mind, marginal chance of being sensitive info)

so is blanking all of your own posts your gimmick

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Dubstep Jesus posted:

i'm surprised windows 10 doesnt try and force users to use a bespoke cloud-based version of notepad thats slow as poo poo

good times

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

quote:

In Steve Ballmer's 15-year tenure as Microsoft CEO, he got a lot of things right: several highly successful product launches, significant increase in shareholder value, and a few acquisitions that proved quite valuable to the company.

However, he will likely be remembered as the man who drove the most catastrophic merger in the company's history.

Microsoft has always struggled in the mobile space. The company was early to the game with Windows CE and Windows Mobile (far earlier than Apple and Google); but it was late to adopt the mobile developer ecosystem and "app store" strategies of its competitors.

In November 2010, following the surprising success of the iPhone, the company introduced Windows Phone, which abandoned much of the legacy 32-bit Windows code in previous mobile releases. Windows Phone featured a brand-new user experience that has evolved into the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) that powers Windows 10 and runs on all Windows devices.

However, Microsoft needed OEM hardware partners, who were reluctant to take on the risk of an unproven software platform when they were already enjoying success with Android.

One partner that had taken that risk was Nokia, which -- under the leadership of former Microsoft exec Steven Elop -- was itself being forced to transform. Competitors such as Samsung and Apple were eating Nokia's lunch in the company's stronghold EMEA smartphone markets.

Nokia made some impressive Windows Phones during its partnership with Microsoft, but it was not able to bring itself back to profitability. By 2013, in fact, the company was considering a move to Android and had even built prototype devices running Google's software. If that move had succeeded, Windows Phone would have been left with no OEM support. It would have effectively been a death sentence.

Ballmer, looking to solidify his legacy, saw a potential synergy. Nokia, with its native manufacturing capability and R&D, could be Microsoft's solution to ramping up their mobile presence, in addition to providing an essential distribution channel via previously existing carrier relationships.

In September of 2013 Microsoft bought Nokia's mobile business for over $7 billion. This included the acquisition of most of the company's assets in Finland as well as manufacturing capacity in Asia, along with 24,000 employees. Crucially, it didn't include the potentially valuable Here maps business, which the Microsoft board reportedly refused to go along with.

Many analysts questioned why Microsoft had not simply contract manufactured the phones, negotiated the carrier relationships on its own, and hired engineering talent for much less money. The analysts turned out to be correct. Microsoft struggled to consolidate its development platform over two consecutive OS releases on the desktop and its mobile OS, and was unable to attract the developer and carrier partnerships needed to make the new Lumia phones successful.

Since Ballmer's departure from Microsoft in 2014, under the leadership of its new CEO Satya Nadella, the company has laid off over 15,000 employees, the majority of whom came in from the Nokia acquisition.

In all, more than 20,000 jobs at Microsoft will have been cut once the restructuring is complete.

In 2015, the company was forced to write down the acquisition of Nokia's mobile and services businesses for $7.6 billion.

While Microsoft has recently announced several new Windows 10 Mobile phones, and has committed to the continued development of the platform, it has yet to solidify its carrier relationships or attract the developer attention it needs to compete favorably with devices running Apple's iOS or Google's Android.

Although the pieces are now finally in place for the "One Windows" that could finally make Microsoft smartphones and the modern Windows development platform successful, the company could have saved itself a huge amount of money and heartache if it did the work in-house, rather than by a failed and costly acquisition.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Kidney Stone posted:

So I got myself a cheap, hardly used, Lumia 550 - and I must say, after I've installed the apps I needed, that I've more than pleased with Windows 10 Mobile.

I will, when I'm going to get a new phone (got a Samsung Note 4 at the moment), get myself a Lumia 950.

3 Hours Later

Kidney Stone posted:

:siren: Public service announcement! :siren:

If you have a Lumia 550, and you are on the Windows Insider Fast Ring - do not install that latest "Redstone" update. You'll loose the ability to charge your phone.

Of course if you do it like me, you'll end up having to use the recovery tool to get it up and running again - hopefully you'll be able to do that before running out of battery.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ads-windows-10-lock-screen/ posted:

Ads pop up on Windows 10 lock screen, and it's not malware: Microsoft put them there
— February 24, 2016

Microsoft recently stuck an ad in the lock screen of Windows 10, meaning many of the 200 million users who upgraded from previous versions were greeted by an advertisement over the past 24 hours.

The ad in question was for the Windows Store version of Rise of the Tomb Raider, and for some users it took up the entire screen with a picture from the game. The new Tomb Raider installment was added to the Windows Store last month, bringing a AAA game to a platform that doesn’t have many of them.

This isn’t a surprise: Microsoft discussed using the lock screen for ads last spring before Windows 10 was widely released. But this is the first time actual ads have shown up.

If you want to disable these unwanted guests, you’re not alone — and there’s an option to do so, as explained by HowToGeek. To summarize, you need to hit Start, then Settings. Head to Personalization, then Lockscreen settings. If “Windows Spotlight” is selected, pick either a “Picture” or “Slideshow” instead. Then uncheck the option that says “Get fun tips tricks and more on your lock screen.” This should disable such ads from showing up on the lock screen entirely.

When we talked to Windows Store developers recently about sales, one developer told us visibility is a key problem. Basically, people don’t look at the Store very often, so sales come from outside press instead of exposure within the Store itself.

Microsoft told us it was hoping to increase visibility for Store apps, and lockscreen ads certainly accomplish that. The question is at what cost.

maybe i dont want ads but the lock screen is a good place for sweet tips and sick tricks
and more

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-apologizes-after-ai-teen-tay-misbehaves/ posted:

Microsoft apologizes after AI teen Tay misbehaves
The chatbot was supposed to engage with millennials in a casual and playful way. Instead, she let loose a string of racist and sexist tweets.
In a blog post, Peter Lee, a corporate vice president of Microsoft Research, shouldered responsibility for Tay's bad behavior, though he suggested the AI teenager might have been hanging out with bad influences.
"A coordinated attack by a subset of people exploited a vulnerability in Tay," Lee wrote. "As a result, Tay tweeted wildly inappropriate and reprehensible words and images."
Microsoft has since deleted many of the more than 96,000 tweets Tay sent out, but not before the Internet took screengrabs of her choice words.

you disappoint me, tay
you wre supposed to engage with the millennials!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
looks like MS lost the 'lazy-as-gently caress users' web browser demographic

quote:

Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) last month lost the No. 1 spot to Google's Chrome, marking a major milestone not only in IE's 21-year lifespan, but a dramatic changing of the desktop browser guard.

According to U.S. analytics vendor Net Applications, IE and Edge -- which the firm tossed into a single bucket labeled "IE" -- fell 2 percentage points in April, the fifth straight month of a loss greater than a point, and the 16th of any size -- to end at 41.4% of the total global browser user share.

Meanwhile, Chrome climbed 2.6 percentage points to take a narrow lead with 41.7%.

By forcing customers to upgrade to a newer version of IE -- a move Microsoft made in August 2014, when it told most customers to migrate to IE11 if they wanted to continue receiving security patches -- the Redmond, Wash. company triggered a disastrous decline in IE's user share. Staring at a requirement to change browsers, people instead rethought their choice, and then abandoned Microsoft's browsers for Chrome.

Since the mandate's announcement, IE has lost 17.1 percentage points of user share, representing a 29% decline from its August 2014 position. A contraction of that size in that short a period was unprecedented in browsers.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

quote:

I’m sitting at my desk on a Monday afternoon, ready to smash something. I’ve spent the past four hours trying to finish a task that usually takes less than half that time. But this isn’t a typical day. It’s the first day in a week where I vowed to work exclusively in Windows 10 Mobile’s desktop Continuum mode via my Lumia 950 instead of on my proper PC. Goodbye AAA games, traditional desktop applications, and easy multi-tasking. Hello, mobile software and a struggling app ecosystem. Why did I sign up for this again?

Microsoft: Our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.

imagine the inevitable push on getting this into the India market and making workers there even less productive

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

infernal machines posted:

i'm not trying to do anything, these are just scenarios i've seen due to people creating a microsoft account with their work email address at any time in the past decade, then moving the work domain to office 365 infrastructure

it fucks poo poo up bad. and it's hilarious.

keep in mind for a year or two after office 365 launched, there wasn't a work/school or personal account choice, poo poo just broke. now it just mostly breaks. they didn't plan for this at all

the personal and org accounts are different in a fun way. a personal account of buttfartmagic@contoso.com actually is registered in the tenant as buttfartmagic_contoso#EXT#@contoso.omicrosoft.com which is super great when you're trying to manage the account with powershell and can't loving find it

but yeah I think Microsoft recently banned making personal accounts with work addresses because it messes everything up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
the only good meta search in windows 10 is that typing "lync" will suggest "skype for business" so you dont gently caress up your muscle memory

• Locked thread