Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

we had to use numbers and keynote in high school because the county didn't want to spring for an office for Mac site license

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

visual studio will be purchased by IBM and renamed IBM Excel Macro Studio after Microsoft dies

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

homo punching bag posted:

lmao shcools are terrible with money. blow the budget getting macs for highschool kids then buy no software

the computers were a grant but they couldn't afford software.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

anyone have a link to the non technical woman or childe post

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

if they're mobile first, cloud first and all about productivity, how does the xbox fit?

"it's just like jacking off into the matrix" --ken kutaragi

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

So in 25 years user interfaces have progressed from flat, rounded, pseudo-3d, and back to flat again. can't wait for rounded again

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

windows 8 is so ugly everything is rectangles. not a shadow to be seen. save us with your RoundedRects timb

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

thing is communism can almost work. minus communists

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

processor cores designed exclusively for aids

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

AtomD posted:

i think him playing ceo of a wwe type thing would literally get me watching wrestling

you and everyone else in 1999 when he was getting stunnered by stone cold every week

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u82_bqMRDiU

greatest moment in TV history as far as I'm concerned

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

bartlettPE

the computer that gives you annoying speeches about why george bush is a bad president every 45 minutes

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

what the hell did they talk about at Macworld '96, did they even sell any computers that didn't go to schools

did they announce 50 new models of Performa computers or something

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

no it's okay we're going to release exciting new products in 1997 such as a digital camera with a floppy disk drive and a kit that lets you connect your Mac to apple eWorld for only $15 per hour

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

univbee posted:

isn't this slowly becoming "all movies" now?

china is the largest market for American films so they will have special Chinese versions with a scene spliced in featuring some famous actor and how he totally saves everyone and is way better than the stupid American hero so the Chinese government will tell everyone to go see it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

univbee posted:

funnily enough apple made a similar rrod-like mistake with the apple iii back in '84 (it was the first non-woz design and was a fanless computer in an aluminum box)

the best part about that snafu is that if you called up apple tech support because your comp overheated and split the chips off the motherboard, apple's official troubleshooting step involved telling you to lift your pc 3 inches off your desk/floor and drop it (because the shock sometimes shifted the chips back into place)

same thing happened with early 520STs, OS rom chips pop out of the socket and you have to drop the thing onto a desk to reseat them

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

so what you're saying is Microsoft is literally Germany and ballmer was literally hitler

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

you're wrong fujitsu is the ancient japanese art of loving up producing electronics

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

lol if you had a debugger attached to a PC while running word 1.0 or multiplan it would do this

turns out it didn't actually erase the disk, but it performed an infinite loop of zero seeks that made the floppy drive sound like it was going nuclear. apparently they took it out in '85 because pc clones were triggering it and damaging their drives.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 18, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

lol

also, why

they really didn't want people pirating their poo poo I guess

the copy protection consisted of a sector with an invalid size so it couldn't be written if you were copying the disk. 10 sectors at the beginning of the disk contained an anti-pirate message directed at hackers and the invalid sector.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Internaut! posted:

yeah physical copy protection that wrecked/de-aligned drives even when working as intended was fun to deal with on the c64

was it elite that churned the drive so hard for its copy protection that it would knock it out of alignment half the time you played it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

qirex posted:

I thought they bought it from another company

the software was Rare and the hardware was an Israeli company now owned by Apple

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

could someone who is actually smart about computers read this interesting thing about windows 3.1 and tell me what it means

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2014/09/12/10557431.aspx

whatever windows 3.1 application has focus owns a sort of synchronization token of which there is one system-wide copy. no thread can block whatever owns the token so even if an application is "hung" it's trying to make progress on whatever it's doing.

every time the windows scheduler had the token, it set a magic register to 1. every time it lost focus, it set the magic register to 0. this allows the ctrl+alt+delete handler to know if something's hung or not.

when you ctrl+alt+delete, the ctrl+alt+delete handler checks if the running program is an MS-DOS program. if so, it terminates it immediately.

if it is a windows program, the ctrl+alt+delete handler sets the magic register to 0, tells the scheduler to inform it when it is available, and waits.

if the ctrl+alt+delete handler was never contacted by the system, then a device driver is hung and it pops up a blue screen saying that will give focus to whatever owns the token when you press a key so you can respond to it.

if it was contacted and the magic register is 1, then the token is being passed around properly. nothing is technically hung and it'll pop up a blue screen saying that no application is hung, go gently caress yourself.

if it was contacted but the magic register is 0, then a windows application is hung and won't relinquish control to the windows kernel. it told device drivers to finish up their current tasks, waited about 3 seconds, and popped up a blue screen saying the system is busy or unstable.

finally, if no device driver is trying to accomplish a task, then it pops up a blue screen saying a specific program is hung. if you tell it to exit, it just waits for the CPU to be executing that program, and will trigger a DOS interrupt for the running program to immediately terminate.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

wait

they took out the DLL full of aptiva icons!?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

clear type offends my autism by making characters too thick or something I forget

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

your posting is the worst thing to happen to my laptop

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

since when is Hyundai not just Coreayota

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

literally kill all your selves for that

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

remember when microsoft scared all the OEMs out of the portable market by making their own device

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

wish ballmer had retired to pro wrestling or something instead

He put hard times on Steve Ballmer and his family. You don’t know what hard times are, daddy. Hard times are when the IT consultants around this country are out of work, they got 4 or 5 kids and can’t pay their wages, can’t buy their food. Hard times are when the Microsoft store guys are out of work and they tell ‘em to go home. And hard times are when a man has worked at a job for thirty years, thirty years, and they give him a watch, kick him in the butt and say “hey an iPad took your place, daddy”, that’s hard times! That’s hard times!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

carry on then posted:

was it pixar that basically developed a grid client so that all their workstations could pitch in on renders overnight?

Lightwave was going that in the early 90s, Foundation Imaging would start a render job overnight for Babylon 5 and it would be distributed between all the Amigas in the office

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the surface pro 3 uses the surface pen. It is not compatible with the surface pro pen, used by the surface. God help you if you use an S-Pen.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I installed windows 8.1 from an ISO into a VM 3 hours ago and I'm still downloading and installing updates because God forbid they slipstream windows 8.1u1 into these isos like service packs

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

somebody pls photoshop a character from that Winx Club show for little girls so that it has ballmer's face on it tia

i wouldn't know i'm not a pedophile

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

can we just go back to windows 3.1 full circle ui

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

windows preview status: prepping for release

my body is ready satya

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

is that seriously for real? like you open the start menu and celebrities, home refinancing, TEN THINGS YOU NEVER KNEW..., and if we're lucky foot fungus and teeth whitening ads will be plastered right there?

yeah i posted my screensharts over in the windows 10 thread too. here are some lols

quote:

lol i just noticed when you turn on the windows feedback app, it shows you a billion categories and subcategories but it immediately loads a list of your currently loaded applications, the top of the list being Windows Feedback. guess where all the feedback is going.

also if the feedback is really long it doesn't have a vertical scrollbar so the text runs off the screen and you can't +1 it without pressing tab to highlight the button and guessing

PYF feedback

quote:

D: IS ABOVE C: AND YOU CAN'T REARRANGE THEM

quote:

prefect posted:

rename "local disk" to "a local disk"

right click Local Disk and rename it A Local Disk, nothing happens.

i had to press F5 to get it to refresh the window and update the name

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

didn't notice the windows 10 thread. in any case this is rumoured to be regedit via administrator:

lol yup confirmed

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

trustedinstaller has full control by default?

oh okay you can just have Administrators take ownership then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Metrication posted:

i'm the ancient regedit icon

what is the difference between REGEDIT.EXE and REGEDT32.EXE anyway

• Locked thread