Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Spite posted:

Pathologic is really, really interesting but I'd only play it with the cheats turned on because it's almost unplayable otherwise. It's brutal and you end up having to spend all your time dodging guards and scrounging instead of exploring the hosed up town. I'd also worry the fixed translation would mess up the atmosphere. Though the game is batshit insane from the start and manages to consistently get crazier and crazier as you play. Ice-pick's writer/director guy must be a bit nuts.

It is worth noting that Pathologic was originally a tabletop RPG campaign, then was made into a theater play and finally became a computer game, which makes perfect sense given the game we received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Popular Human posted:

Big ol' tip I discovered for the first day playing as the Haruspex: don't kill the dog-head kid they tell you about on the edge of town. Talk to both the people in the warehouses who want him dead, spare him, then talk to both of the people who wanted him dead again. This will boost your reputation back up into neutral immediately so you don't spend 2/3rds of your first day running and hiding from murderous townsfolk. I had no idea how you were even supposed to get across the city to do your tasks as the Haruspex before figuring that out.

Or alternatively, kill him and take the medicine for yourself. Your reputation will suffer, but that thing can save a life if you're low on supplies.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lakeview Cabin Collection and 35MM are in my Summer Sale cart, do I want to press buy while they're in it?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crabtree posted:

Has any horror game ever really ironed out an insect like enemy as well as or better than Siren? They always came off as more zombie than anything else to me. But I'd be interested in something that actually shows part of a map being deteriorated and re-purposed elsewhere - like say tearing off planks and then barfing on them somewhere else to form some kind of hive mold.

I say this as someone that absolutely hates bugs to the point where I freak even if I hear buzzing noises right next to my ear thinking its a bee or something.

More an action game with horror elements than pure horror, but Metro Last Light has some pretty tense tunnel areas turned into lairs by bug monsters.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Drunken Baker posted:

I think they meant subtle as opposed to just being outright whacky.

as much as I love zombies, yeah, I dream of the day we get a game like "State of Decay" but set during a Cosmic Horror style even where the world is just going to poo poo and you're just struggling to survive again utterly bizarre and horrific being from dimension x.

I guess the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are the closest to this we've ever had. Though that Sinking City game being made by Frogware might end up scratching that itch.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Get Oxenfree. It has pretty good characterization and none of the puzzles are particularly obtuse. It is not really a horror game, but has an excellent atmosphere and sound design.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I really enjoyed Fran Bow and I'd like for more people to play it, even if only so there are more people trying to make sense of the ending.

Also, episode 4, the cat in the grave is Mr. Midnight, in my opinion, but his spirit is still serving as a guide to Fran due to her extra-dimensional travel, it is why he is called a betrayer by Aunt Grace.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 13, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Captain Yossarian posted:

It's a good game though? What didn't you like about it?

I wanted another S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and got a very good corridor shooter.

That's both my praise and condemnation of the Metro games.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Spudd posted:

Just sprint at dudes with your trusty double barrel shotgun and plug all your bullet holes with bread and sausage, bam STALKER stealth.

I can attest that this works in every single videogame.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Until Dawn sounds like a pretty great game from this thread. Too bad I'll have to wait for the next generation of PS Now to play it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

There was a bit in Penumbra where I died a lot and that completely broke the tension. The atmosphere completely stopped working and the scene became simple trial and error broken by loading screens.

Also going to second that The Last Door and System Shock 2 are really effective horror games despite being very easy as games, so definitely not something necessary.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Pathologic demo introduced me to Theodor Bastard, which is a great Russian trip-hop act, so it is the best game of 2017 as far as I know.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jukebox Hero posted:

Every time someone talks about easy horror games I wonder if they ever actually tried playing the games on higher difficulties

I played System Shock 2 so many times that I did a Wrench-only run at the hardest difficulty.

Those spiders are still terrifying.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GlyphGryph posted:

What other horror games that focus on you playing as the monster and killing all the victims before they can escape? I know several have that for pvp or as a side thing, but as the main campaign portion of a game?

The Alien portions of Alien Vs Predator '99 and Alien Vs Predator 2. Technically the Predator campaign counts, but plays much more like a traditional FPS.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So... Conarium came out. Any takers?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

the black husserl posted:

A horror game that intentionally tries to kill you with misleading tutorials and UI prompts would be awesome. I'm thinking Eternal Darkness 2.0.

That would be Icepick Lodge's The Void. Not the UI prompts, but you do get advice in the early game that's outright and deliberately wrong.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Danaru posted:

What kind of advice? It's been so long since I played, and I'll never pass up an opportunity to talk about Ice Pick Lodge games :allears:

Sister Death is wrong about how you're supposed to sow gardens. She tells you to be careful and only add color as needed, but actually you're supposed to put as much colour as possible on as many things as possible so you will have the color economy to open more hearts and complete the game, there are enough gardens and they will recover in time instead of dying, so after you have the whole map open you can cycle between them. She's right in-character, because you are hasting the Void's destruction (and you will see more predators in the gardens), but since the endgame is to destroy the Void and lead one of the sisters in Ascension, her advice runs counter to actually winning the game. And yeah, if you follow that lead you will end up in an unwinnable state in the game. I personally had to restart it after several in-game days for taking that at face-value.

Also, in general the Sisters will tell you misleading things depending on what they want or expect from you, and to win the game you also have to go against everything the Brothers try to educate you on, because they either want to destroy you or want to preserve the Void.

Icepick Lodge is one of very few studios that have characters actually lying to players, that I know of. In most games characters lying to the PCs are just setting up a "aha! I have betrayed/used you!" confrontation later on. Both Pathologic and The Void have NPCs lying to the player just because they don't want you to know something or to keep appearances or whatever and it's not unusual for that not to come as a specific plot point later, this is specially evident when playing multiple characters in Pathologic as you see the different facets NPCs present to different people.

Now thinking of it, I'd mention Knock-Knock as well, though in that case it's more the game not telling you anything. Information is obscured and gameplay has to be figured out mostly by trial and error. I wouldn't describe it as a fun game, but I'm glad I gave it the time.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 2, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hell yeah. It's the game I am looking forward the most for the next year.

Pathologic and the Void are two games I can't help but inhabit mentally when I am reminded of them. Both had so much going on that's not told to the player, which gives them a real sense of place. Plus, whatever cultural barrier there is between those crazy Russians and me adds to the sense of mysticism they have. I remember reading (might have been an interview or kickstarter blog post) that Pathologic was originally a RPG campaign, which they turned into a theater play and then made a videogame out of and that sequence of medias makes perfect sense for what we got.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Knorth posted:

Iktf, I don't want to just ask them to remake the things they've already done but dammit if I wouldn't love a Void remake too

Careful, we might get a Cargo! remake instead! That's their only game I wish I hadn't bothered with.

I feel the Void works, they couldn't really implement the effects of the colours leaking into the Void, but other than that I'd say the game achieved most of their goals, unlike Pathologic, which is much more janky and is obviously the first project of a team which clearly knows how to write way way better than code.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh, definitely. The architecture of the Void was simply a feast for the eyes and I'd love another game from them with a similar premise or setting.

I imagine we'll get a taste of that in Pathologic 2 within the Spire, since the interior is supposed to be filled with the children's Dreamscapes, or the inner halls of the Apiary or a surprise twist from the architect brothers.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bogart posted:

If nothing else, the doctor and local medicine man protagonist POVs from Pathologic 1 are still around. I haven't seen anything one way or another regarding the Devotress/Impostress/Changeling.

They've mentioned her, so we'll definitely still get the three distinct POVs. Clara is pretty important to the game's mythology.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Any trip reports on the Pathologic Alpha?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is an accurate portrayal of camping in the Ukraine, could one say Darkwood is likewise for Poland's countryside?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Any takes on HellSign? Came out today, pitch sounds interesting (investigative horror-hunting game), but I am wary of EA.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How in the how did they make doom 2 look like that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Slightly off-topic from the RE2 talk, but I finally got around to Darkwood and drat, the atmosphere in this game is fantastic. Definitely the creepiest thing I've played in recent memory.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Anyone's given the Pathologic demo that came out today a try?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Old Boot posted:

Late to answer, but probably will once I'm done loving around with Sundered.

I did manage to play through the demo and I am entirely hyped. I was still having poor performance (you can supposedly improve it by running as admin), but re-visiting the reimagined town felt very... Emotional? Nostalgic? It is fitting that Artemy's story is about coming back home after several years. The intro/tutorial dream segment was delightful, but I did feel it was a bit of fan-service, I'd love to hear the impressions from someone truly new. Game looks great and seems more accessible than the original, gameplay is definitely communicated better and the survival aspects were kinder, but this is naturally the early game, so I expect the game to pull its punches a bit. When day 1 properly started all I wanted was to revisit old places and characters to see how they are now and I was often surprised by the twists of old events. This is it, I am throughly hyped for this.

I am not the most reliable reviewer, Pathologic 1 is one of my all time favorite games, I've ran a RPG campaign inspired by it, I've bought, finished and enjoyed¹ every Ice-Pick Lodge game, I am 100% the target audience for this.

¹Okay, I didn't enjoy Cargo!.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cardiovorax posted:

If you ever plan to play it again, I can give you a little tip there: apparently, for the US version, the devs massively cranked up the passive passage of time when on the map. I played the Euro version, which is massively slower, as I can confirm from when compared it with video footage. There is (or was) a mod available that will adjust the speed to European levels, so give it a shot if you ever feel like it. It really makes things more manageable.

!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm so with you here. The Void was haunting, frustrating, nerve-wracking, riveting, fatiguing, and a whole bunch of other competing adjectives at the same time. I've never seen anything quite like it. The one and probably only tattoo I'll ever get is from the game :v:

I'd even love if they just did a remake and modernize it, maybe making the resource management less taxing, as I get less patient in my older age. The game was really difficult to play under default settings.

Yeah, I had a ten hour playthrough dead-end from lack of color the first time I tried it and I still came back to finish it from the start. The Void is also up there amongst my favorites and it's a game that still haunts me to this day, but I feel they succeeded in giving the concept justice. Pathologic was very much an amateur effort and was broken on most levels, so I think the remake is very much warranted.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Ehh gently caress it I'll expose myself to internet judgement. It was the donor glyph in color on my chest. I was thinking about getting the vampire glyph on the other side but am not quite ready to commit to TWO video game tattoos from an obscure thing like 10 people have played.

Content WARNING, partial pasty nerd chest: https://i.imgur.com/fuHNDJt.jpg

Hell yeah, my dude.

Also there's a Pathologic 2 thread now, I guess?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The only "horror" game I had an audience for was Thief: The Dark Project. It was pretty spooky at times, to be fair, and one my friends was tense enough that he literally jumped when my cat skipped onto his lap.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Can anyone remind me why I have A House of Many Doors on my wishlist, because I am pretty sure it's the fault of someone around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Black August posted:

Game where you’re the murderer from the very start, and the thrust of it is that some supernatural hopped up HUSSY is trying to muscle in on your territory, so you gotta set aside your usual deal to take this fucker downtown for a groundpound

Painkiller?