Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I've gotten proper stuck into Resident Evil 1 on Steam after bouncing off of it a few times before, and I gotta say: They should've made the plot items not take up space in your inventory. Just shrink it down to 6 spaces but make it so things with no combat utility don't take up a slot. It is mind-numbingly tedious having to slum it back and forth through all those door-opening animations to pick up a puzzle item from the item box because I've finally gotten to the part where I need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I am visibly older, I think, from all the time I've spent watching Jill crawl back and forth over those boxes in the residence hallway

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is one of those things that's tedious the first time around but makes replays a lot more interesting. Once you know where everything goes, routing becomes a big part of the game and there's a lot less backtracking to storage to dump things off.

I'm mostly a one-and-done kind of person when it comes to games like this, and I didn't feel that having to traipse back and forth for puzzle items added anything except tedium. I know Signalis got a lot of flak for its inventory limits, but they didn't bother me near as much as here.

I think it's the door animations that make the difference. They're so unnecessarily long.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Wanderer posted:

I ended up knocking Tormented Souls off my backlog tonight.

Did I just miss the explanation for how the video tapes enable Caroline to legitimately time travel? It's kind of a neat mechanic, but it's so narratively out of place.

There's no explanation for that, nor really for the mirrors. It's all just spooky horror nonsense.

I love that game so much.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Tormented Souls is absolutely a "you just kinda gotta roll with it" type of game. If you try to turn it into an internally consistent puzzle box, it doesn't work. It's all vibes-based.

Like, the answer to "but how exactly does the time travel work, mechanically" is "whatever works best for the game at the current moment". Caroline's eye is missing as soon as she wakes up, so it's "everything has already happened and you're destined to do the things you do". Except no, Anna's cell is locked and her skeleton is in there until you go back in time and pour acid on the lock, so you can directly change things by going back in time.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Well I've moved onto RE2make, and that fucker in the trench coat is making me immensely anxious. I just want to solve puzzles!! GO AWAY!!!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Well Ada rammed him with a car and then blew the car up. I'm sure that's the last I'll see of him.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Buck Wildman posted:

the entire dread x collection series is on sale at fanatical for $5. that's a lot of horror for that kind of money, even if it's hit or miss. get it just for squirrel stapler imo

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/complete-dread-x-collection

I love the Haunted PS1 Demo Discs, and this kind of seems like the same thing. Thanks for the hot tip :spooky:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
My big Resident Evil safari has reached RE0 after going through REmake, RE2make, RE3make, and the PS3 release of Code Veronica (thank god the PS3 store still technically works)

The bat boss sucked mondo rear end and I wish they'd give me an item box, but the 4:3 prerendered background static camera thing still totally owns. I like it a lot more than I was expecting to from the Steam reviews

E: Also gently caress the leech mimics

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It could use some of that Code Veronica voice acting to liven things up. Steve was the uncontested star of that game

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Finished RE0 and started RE4 (original version with the bonkers detailed HD fan restoration mod).

I see now why people call this "the good one". Took a few minutes to get used to the controls but once I did, I almost couldn't put it down. I haven't even gotten to the fabled Midget Napoleon that I've heard so much about

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The original SH2 thankfully isn't going anywhere. If they gently caress it up really bad it'll be an interesting trainwreck to talk about, and if they actually nail it it'll be a pleasant surprise. But as long as no-one's coming to take my PS2 copies away, I'm cool either way.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Evil Kit posted:

The remake has tighter design with a more serious tone whilst og hams it up and has a lot more fluff and "what if we added in THIS?".

Based on what I'm actually enjoying about RE4 it sounds like I picked the right version then

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Once I've journeyed through the rest of the series, maybe :zombie:

I got 0-7 + Revelations 1 & 2 for basically no money in a Humble Bundle a while back, and later picked up Village for crazy cheap too, so I'm not exactly lacking for RE. And Fatal Frames 3-5, Haunting Ground, Silent Hill 3 & 4, Clock Tower 3....

Related: "Resident Evil" is an amazing translation of "Biohazard". It's so evocative. It's some "Nothing here is sacred" type stuff

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 17, 2023

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
RE4 update: just got done fighting 2 giants. Dropped one of them in a lava pit, fought the other one in honorable single combat so I could loot his corpse afterwards.

Haven't gotten to the alleged bad bits yet

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sakurazuka posted:

Did you go over and check the lava pit afterwards?

Nope, lol

Sounds like there would've been 15,000 pesetas waiting for me if I had?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

if you go to it right after you dunk a gigante, it’ll rear back up and take you with it into the lava.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I go back and forth over that or shooting at the water from the dock being my favorite little thing in the game.

e: or maybe Luis getting mad and one-shotting you if you friendly fire him enough in the cabin siege :v:

god, this game owns

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Improbable Lobster posted:

Too bad there's a lot of people out there that don't have an original copy and also don't have any way to legally play the original

It is very easy to either emulate the PS2 version or get the fanmade Enhanced Edition running on PC, and as long as that's the case I'm not that hung up on how the bloobmake turns out

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Medullah posted:

[Silent Hill 2] Enhanced Edition is so good, I tried playing through the PS2 version last year and it just looks so rough compared to the EE. Those guys are doing the Lord's work

I super appreciate the bonkers amount of work the EE guys are doing, but I actually prefer the look of the PS2 version running on a CRT. On a modern display, the gamey imperfections are way too noticeable - like the giant blurry JPEG of the town when you exit the bathroom in the beginning. I legit didn't even notice that when I first played it on console.

I recognize that that's a very niche thing that most people are unlikely to have access to though, and hooking a PS2 straight into a modern TV (or using one of those horrible cheapo HDMI upscalers) is likely to look like absolute rear end - in that case, the EE is definitely the way to go.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Also very possible! I admit I've never tried that, the usual instinct with emulators of 3D systems is to crank it up as big as it can go

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Almost through RE Revelations, which is very, like.... fine. It passes the time and it's fun enough, I suppose. Think I'm gonna take a break from Biohazard before picking up again with RE6. Maybe I'll jump back to Fatal Frame and dust off that FF3 disc that's been sitting on my shelf for years, see what they got monks sacrificing young girls for this go around.

RE really doesn't give two shits for keeping the same voice actors for the same characters between games, do they

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 29, 2023

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I remember hearing we would have gotten the original RE2 actors for the remake but there was a strike going on during development

I didn't know this! I was waiting until it was done done. Welp!

I've played 8 different Resident Evil games in the past couple of months, and I think the only instance of a character having the same voice actor in more than one of them is Chris being played by the same guy in both RE5 and Revelations

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
My experience has been that the Dark Pictures games all blow massive chunks, while Until Dawn and The Quarry were at least goofy fun (as long as you're into splatter B-flicks)

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The Quarry even had Grace Zabriskie being full on late-stage Sarah Palmer in it

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Instant Grat posted:

Almost through RE Revelations, which is very, like.... fine. It passes the time and it's fun enough, I suppose. Think I'm gonna take a break from Biohazard before picking up again with RE6. Maybe I'll jump back to Fatal Frame and dust off that FF3 disc that's been sitting on my shelf for years, see what they got monks sacrificing young girls for this go around.

RE really doesn't give two shits for keeping the same voice actors for the same characters between games, do they

I lied, I went straight onto RE6.

It's actually really fun so far? Dumb as hell, obviously, but it's miles and miles above the peasoup-filter turd that was RE5. No more having to babysit the AI partner! Fun melee attacks in between your gun combos! You can shift healing items out of your main inventory so they don't take up space there! Dual-wielding pistols for very little practical benefit!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

dogstile posted:

I liked 5 :(

I couldn't get over the desaturated green filter that's overlayed on top of the camera for the whole game. Or the whole "babysitting Sheva and dealing with the awful inventory" thing.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'm a solo man through and through, unless it's a Soulslike type situation

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Captain Hygiene posted:

The melee system is pretty great, although it's weird how little of it is actually communicated to you by the game.

I just naturally gravited towards it based on not wanting to waste ammo if I could avoid it

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Just wrapped up Leon's campaign in RE6.

I am absolutely puzzled that this is supposed to be "the really bad one". This rules?? Also it seems to be beefy as all hell in terms of content and playtime - only done with 1 out of 4 campaigns, and I'm almost 10 hours in.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Bighuge Resident Evil bundle on Humble: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/resident-evil-decades-horror-village-edition

Don't know what it is in dollars, but in Euros, €31~ gets you 0-8 (4 is original, not remake), Revelations 1 + 2, plus a discount coupon for the Village DLC expansion.

€18~ gets you the same, minus Village and the coupon.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 11, 2023

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Have any of you played I Did Not Buy This Ticket? It was released during LudoNarraCon - all I know about it is it's a "short, psychological horror experience" where you play a professional mourner, whose job is to go to the funerals of strangers and weep.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Code: Veronica was the last game that really felt like Resident Evil to me.

......RE0?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
How could a Code Veronica remake possibly improve on the perfection of Steve Burnside's original voice acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I00SgkZHzF4

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Chatrapati: I posted this earlier in the thread, but you should definitely take a look at this: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/resident-evil-decades-horror-village-edition

Even the cheapest tier of that bundle includes REmake, which I think might be right up your alley.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Chatrapati posted:

I really don't know which Resident Evil I played, but after hearing how good the series was, it upset me with how bad it was, there was literally a linear path to follow, and even places which looked like they could be explored, couldn't be. The enemies weren't scary at all, and the characters moved like action movie stars rather than folks fearful of the surrounding evil.

5 or 6, probably.

Resident Evil has reinvented itself a fair few times now. From fixed-camera survival horror with a focus on resource/inventory management, avoiding combat, and really campy dialogue, to third-person action shooters gradually becoming poo poo Call Of Duty With Zombies, to tight, claustrophic first-person hidey stealthy "oh god oh gently caress oh poo poo" horror, with a bunch of spinoffs sprinkled in between that each had their own things going.

I remember hearing some internet reviewer quipping that Capcom has a policy in place that states "If Resident Evil becomes crap again, give up and do something else"

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Totally possible - that's the last stop on my Resident Evil safari that I haven't gotten to yet. Just finished 7 last night . Gonna check out the DLCs on that one and then finally head off to see the hot vampire lady.

Might go back and try the fan remasters of 2 and 3 sometime down the line, since I only played the remakes of those, which I understand to be VERY different experiences to the originals. https://www.reshdp.com/

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MockingQuantum posted:

The Evil Within

I played TEW as well as the 2 story DLCs and found it to be an absolutely incoherent mess. The village section right at the beginning that feels ripped straight out of RE4 is good, ending with a top-tier open-ended combat encounter, but everything after that is just... bad.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

satanic splash-back posted:

If you think TEW is bad then you probably just don't like the genre because it's the most tense and varied version of the game genre.

Counterpoint: RE4 (original) is my game of the year

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Someone mentioned Tormented Souls, which is my cue to say that Tormented Souls rules.

The thing that made me finally give Resident Evil a proper shot was playing and loving Tormented Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hel posted:

The only consistent issue with Tormented Souls that I've seen is the save system. The ink ribbons are a bit too rare, so unless you can block out a decent amount of time You'll lose progress just because you have to stop playing and can't save. Otherwise, I've heard mostly praise for it.

I ended my first playthrough having only used about a third of the tape reels (ink ribbons) I picked up. They're definitely a bit rare in the beginning, but it gets way better quite quickly.

Professor Wayne posted:

I don't remember a ton about Tormented Souls other than it scratched that old school RE itch really well, and the protagonist had an embarrassing default costume that you can thankfully change

It addressed the one major irritation that had always made me put Resident Evil down the first few times I tried it: No inventory limits. Pick up as much poo poo as you want. It's a better game for it! Fight me!

Evil Kit posted:

the start can be very rough before you get your first save, having to sit through the intro cutscene every single time you beefed it before that was a little much.

You can skip the intro cutscene.