Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Too Shy Guy posted:

I'll be honest, I wasn't sold on the voice acting at first. It's a big deal for Gabriel Knight; even without playing any of the originals myself I was aware that the cast was remarkable. Whereas OG Gabriel was voiced by Tim Curry, remake Gabriel is someone I've never heard of, who effects a ridiculously thick Louisiana accent for every line. But it wasn't long before he and the rest of the cast grew on me, assisted by the excellent script. Grace gets some vicious burns on Gabe throughout the game, Mosely pals around like a dopey high-schooler, and even some of the minor characters like Hartridge get incredibly memorable lines.

The original Mosley was voiced by Mark Hamill, also Michael Dorn as Dr John.

It's a shame that they recast, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

I have a bug to play another game along the lines of Until Dawn (there are several characters, there's a mystery to solve, things can go differently depending on how badly you gently caress up and get everyone killed). Suggestions?

Phrasing it that way reminds me of the first couple of Clock Towers, actually

That does pretty much describe all of David Cage's games, down to the abundance of quick time events. (Except David Cage isn't being ironic about the cheesy writing)

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

This is legit the first time in loving years and years that I'm actually looking forward to a Resident Evil game.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Right? They did a reverse Dead Space and went back to horror rather than actiony schlock.

gently caress I miss that series :(

Tbh Dead Space has been action horror since day one. I remember the System Shock rumours and hype around it which in itself was a disappointment.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

There's a SS3 in the works :D

Oh god I know and I am so hyped for it, same goes for the Shock 1 remake going on.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's a cut-rate RE4, not great but definitely worth 10 bucks

Whilst a cut-rate RE4, it's still superior to 5 and 6, in my opinion.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Really what makes me sad about the sewer in Bloodlines is that they could/should have made it spooky, read some of the clan books and junk for oWoD vampire and it talks about nosferatu having the tunnels to their hangouts all messed up and trapped and stuff like that, unless you're one of them they wanna scare your rear end off or kill you, that or at best make you really swim through that sewage and grime to find their club.

It's even remarked in one that they especially enjoy the latter when it's someone like a toreador or ventrue. :allears:

The dumb thing is that the end of the sewer section you get to the Nosferatu warrens which is infinitely more detailed and unique. All they needed to do was make it bigger in the same style.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

Has it already been discussed in this thread that Creative Assembly's next game might be Alien: Isolation 2?

I really hope so, they nailed that game in so many ways.

Tired Moritz posted:

outlast 2 sounds really bad lol

While it is edgy as gently caress, it really does get the blood pumping in it's chases, which if you're looking for that kinda thing it does do well.

But yeah, so loving edgy. Much like Agony, which has been discussed above, it's trying so hard to be shocking an edgy that it just comes across as quaint and mundane because of oversaturation.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Relin posted:

i wasn't aware there was an over saturation of sexually violent games that have been released recently

Not really, I mean inside the game itself. In Agony's case, when every room is made up of flesh and blood and everything is some kinda of deformed teethvagina demon, it all blends together and becomes quite mundane and same-y.

There's no subtlety and with nothing to contrast the gore and repulsive stuff against, it just ends up feeling less shocking than they're going for.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I would like to offer a middle ground if it was alright but I would like to know more.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Uh what happened to that Routine game again? I thought it was out earlier this year?

Was supposed to be March but they postponed because they say that one of the paths through the game wasn't shaping up as well as others.

http://www.lunar-software.com/2017/03/march-they-said/

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

so how spooky is the last door?

Depends how spooked you get by lo-fi pixel art. There's a couple of sudden jump scares, but on the whole, 2/10 spooks

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

The excellent Until Dawn is on PS+ this month if anyone hasn't gotten around to playing that yet.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Bogart posted:

I'm morbidly interested in Scorn and Agony. They're at least going for something far off from the normal Spooky Asylum or Bad Ship.

Also, goon who reviewed Syndrome: could you give the thumbnail sketch on the plot?

Agony released a demo to Kickstarter backers which is all over YouTube if you want more of a look at it. Personally I just found it too edgy and trying too hard to be gross that it just seemed comical.

Scorn at least seems more grotesque and abstract in a Beksinski style so is still on my radar though.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Safari Disco Lion posted:

There was just most of a page of people circle-jerking about how "cliche" Scorn is and how it's going to be disappointing and bad. I read that and thought there was some really crap new trailer or interview or something, yet I can't find a drat thing except 2 screenshots from May on the Scorn facebook page, so how these discussions are going is loving beyond me.

In my case it's because I don't want it to end up like Agony, so I'm a little worried that it'll be a one-note edgefest too. Here's hoping it's not though, I love the Giger / Beksinski influence.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

anime tupac posted:

I keep buying cheap horror games (or downloading free horror games) and then never playing them, but I may rectify that tonight. Does anyone recommend any of these in particular? Right now I'm prioritizing scary/creepy over good.

Bendy and the Ink Machine
Deadlight
DreadOut
Miasmata
Oxenfree
Penumbra: Overture
Penumbra: Black Plague
Penumbra: Requiem
Quadrant
Rake
Sylvio

I would hit up Penumbra: Overture and Penumbra: Black Plague first, they're the precursors to Amnesia, awesome games. Requiem is a bit of a poo poo puzzle game and I don't think really added anything.

Sylvio after that is an excellent variation on horror games, while a bit buggy and rough around the edges, it's definitely interesting. There's a remake of that one coming afaik.

Oxenfree I've heard good things, but I haven't gotten around to playing it myself.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

I did miss some of the runes so I'll have to go back and get them for the last achievement and apparently getting them all gets you some extra stuff during the ending.

Without spoilers (I'm currently near the end of the trials, so not finished yet) is there any easy way to go back and get ones you missed? I've missed 1 rune and I'm nearing the end of having all of them (Maybe 8-10 remaining runes in total). It's literally killing me when I see a new rune and having that one red rune back from somewhere in the early game.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Some can be gotten but others are permanently missable past certain points unless you replay the entire game. You just get the achievement and one additional 30-second hidden cutscene before the very end of the game (that you can youtube) so it's not a huge deal.

:suicide:

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not sure if this will work but you can backup your current save, move it to another folder, and then quickly play through to get the last lorestone since your progress carries over from game to game. It looks like you're missing a rune from Surt's area.

I'd already completed the game. But you're right that the runes persist, so I've now got the achievement unlocked at least. Will just take a look at youtube for what I missed.

Edit: Ok, so even having 1 runestone missing I still got that secret cutscene where Druth talks to you in the portal, and takes off his hat and stuff, before you step through.

Piss Witch fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 13, 2017

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Len posted:

Did Gleaner Heights end up being anything other than a cheap Stardew Valley knock off?

Yep. It’s buggy too.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

A horror game that accurately and faithfully represents mental illness without being exploitative of it and not misrepresenting mental health

That game would just suck.

Also, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice?

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I'd bet money that Agony is one of Those Games that thinks it's a lot more intelligent than it really is and it'll release and be completely mediocre and bland and vapid. Also, what with how much succubus tiddy we have seen so far, there better be a SHITLOAD of big swingin demon dick to even it out. I want equality in my depraved hellbeast naughty bits, dammit.

Can confirm that there are some ding dongs.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't think it's trying to be intelligent from what i've seen, it's mainly just concerned with aesthetics and throwing in a bunch of weird setpieces interspersed with notes and odd fetch quests or the like

Yeah, watching John Wolfe playing it, it really just looks like a super generic indie horror game, just with a fancy lick of paint.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Amnesia the dark descent was super scary for me until I finally got killed 3/4 of the of the way through and found that it checkpoints every six steps

Same experience for me, but also noticing that when you die, it spawns the monster as far away from you as possible, meaning it removes any and all danger after dying with basically no punishment.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

Some of the stuff they wanted to add would probably make the game have an AO rating which is a death sentence for your title because most shops and stores (Steam included) won't stock AO rated titles.

So basically they censored it themselves.

If anyone wanted to see the deleted poo poo they reuploaded it to Dropbox:

:nws:https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7oxs1g2ko09z3b/Agony%20-%20Deleted%20Scenes.mp4?dl=0:nws:

if you don't want to click but want to know what was removed:
- Killing children
- rear end giggle (it looks like jello)
- Succubus rape scene
- Pregnant demon scene or something?
- Scene where you bang a demon who then she stabs her abdomen and pulls a demon out of her vagina.

lol what a pile of badly made edgy poo poo

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Lifeglug posted:

Agony released a demo to Kickstarter backers which is all over YouTube if you want more of a look at it. Personally I just found it too edgy and trying too hard to be gross that it just seemed comical.

Scorn at least seems more grotesque and abstract in a Beksinski style so is still on my radar though.

Glad to see Agony lived up to my expectations.

Scorn's demo was top notch though so that one needs to hurry up.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

1stGear posted:

This looks interesting.

If nothing else, "Things have learnt to walk that ought to crawl" is a hell of a tagline.

This actually looks super good. There’s mention that it was playable at PAX and some other smaller cons, will see if I can dig up some impressions of it.

Edit: spoilers for what’s in the pax demo
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/8ol1rw/comment/e0740ef?st=JI3HADTE&sh=54870b0b

quote:

I played this game at Pax East. Unsure where I was in the demo, but it controls exactly like resident evil 2, similar UI and similar way of looking at points of interest. When a point of interest is nearby, there's sort of bracket crosshairs that zoom in on it. When you look at a point of interest, sometimes its in a first person view like with a puzzle, pushing levers or something. In the demo, I made my way out of a crashed ship. The crew was dead, I played as the girl in the trailer who is an android of some type. After making my way out of the ship I wandered a few screens and there was a cave, so I crawled down into it and inside it had a radio, a desk, a bookshelf, like some sort of secret base or something but with a old timey vibe to it. On the desk was the book "The King in Yellow". I took the book, and then the screen started freaking out (I guess I read the book?) and there was a lot of flickering with words scrawled across the screen. Then, there seemed to be a lot of programming errors and the "system" shut down.

After a few seconds, it rebooted. Basically it looked like you were looking through the eyes of the android person and they suffered a fatal system error and restart. When the character woke back up, was in a different area underground, and things that I read would show their text but after a couple of seconds some of the letters would move almost imperceptibly to the point that the some of the words may have changed, I'm not sure. One of those "out of the corner of your eyes" type of things. From what I could gather walking around the underground bunker, it looked like it was a mining operation, but they discovered something else was deep underground that had been there a long time. They weren't sure. Shortly after, some of the crew started being more aggressive, and there were a lot more arguments. One person was caught stealing, so they put them in the holding cell. Things started to break down, but I don't know anything else about it. I found a few puzzles, and was working on finding a set of key cards to open the next cell block. There were several lovecraftian poem references that I can't recall off the top of my head, but as someone familiar with that sort of thing, nothing that I could recognize offhand.

Game looked pretty cool, I'm a fan of RE2 so yeah. Looks promising.

Piss Witch fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 6, 2018

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Also, I watched the Silent Hills teaser earlier and I'm really depressed now.

I have a permanent memorial to silent hills on my amazon wish list that makes me kinda sad when I see it.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is that really a thing? I have PT on my PS4 and could never bring myself to play it.

Yeah, I checked ebay and yeah, there's PS4's sold advertised as having PT on it as a selling point.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Best thing about Homecoming was you could get the UFO ending first time just by playing the game normally lol

Which is what happened to me and why I hate that goddamned game, even though I did enjoy parts of it.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

In the new video for The Conjuring House, it's quite nice to see John Wolfe actually getting spooked again. I'm so used to him not reacting to anything these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imsQhf23PIY

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

Is Fear and Hunger a good game

I’ve only done a couple runs so far, but I’m enjoying it at least.

I’m still very early in so I’m trying to decipher how much is just trying to be edgy as gently caress and how much is genuinely quite creepy, but the art style and the weird amount of depth to things are what drew me in.

There’s quite a lot of dingdongs too which is a plus.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Old Boot posted:

So what's with the 'have makeout sesh with what is obviously a child to appease some random deity' thing, then. Is that a legitimate option. 'Cause that moves it from 'edgy' to 'call the police' territory in a hurry, and I'm seriously not interested in paying realdollars for a copy if that kind of pedobait bullshit is included. The sexual violence warning is already treading on extremely bullshit ground for me personally.

I haven't seen that part of the game, and loving yikes.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Jukebox Hero posted:

Unless the game straight up says "You put your genital inside that child" I'm going to assume this is just goons being goons and inflating an example taken out of context, or some guy extrapolated a bunch of poo poo about a contrived scenario that wasn't specifically planned

The game does flat out tell you that there's sexual violence in the game, which is supposed to be a roguelite dungeoncrawler. So I was expecting something.

As far as the stuff I've seen in what I've played so far, it's the stuff like:

• Generally the corpses everywhere
  • Tons of hanged naked fellas
  • Prison guard's big ol johnsons, sorry, "stingers"
  • The ability to saw off your own limbs
  • The ability to kill yourself after sawing off your limbs
  • You can jerk yourself off at a shrine thing, which I assume is where they're talking about the child thing
  • You can dive down a toilet hole and get stuck in a pit of poo poo with no way out
  • A lot of dingdongs basically
  • Occasionally if you die you end up in the blood pit, crawling with no legs

Like, with what I've seen so far, it's pretty edgy but not massively so, at least in a "let's just be dumb and offensive as possible" type way, but if there is stuff like what posters before said, then urgh.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

If I want to play a rpg with lots of dicks, I'll just play Bastard Bonds.

Tbh I think most RPGs would benefit from more dicks.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Can you shoot off Mr X's hat?

There’s an achievement for it.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

The latter. You can have on-screen sex with a, like, ten year old girl and/or sell her off to a weird cat person who then visibly starts rubbing one out in his trouser pocket.

Complete and total creep fodder, doesn't even make any excuses.

You can’t have sex with the girl, the marriage “option” has to be consensual, which I think only your Ghoul can do. The rest is true though, I dropped playing that game and got on the REmake 2 train and never looked back.

God REmake 2 is great.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Meallan posted:

So you guys liked Devotion?
I'm probably going to buy it either way since I liked Detention a lot. But I wanted to know how excited to play I should be.

It’s nothing like detention, at least the short time I played. It’s really not my kind of horror game.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

It kind of depends how much you can stand playing yet another Family Melodrama With Religious Symbolism game. It seems every send indie horror that comes out these days is made out of that mold.

No offense intended here, it looks like a quality game by all accounts. I'm just heartily sick of that whole theme at this point. I'm glad we already got RE2make for some good, wholesome zombie blasting this year.

Especially with the Speedo X mod. Ooooh yeah.

I was more put off the first time I went through a PT loop and got a jump scare. I was expecting creepy weirdness and surreal horror, not standard first-person youtube-bait horror. It's not my kinda game to play, though I'll happily be watching John Wolfe play through it. And yeah, it does seem like a good quality game, and not necessarily bad, just not my thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

That looks like my kinda jam.