Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Thesoldier posted:

Is the PPSH worth it at all?

I enjoy this gun greatly... the massive 71 round clip is priceless when dealing with more than a couple bad guys. No mods allowed, but they're not needed.

e: what's better than killing someone and stealing their p2w gun?

Gerbil_Pen fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

LumberingTroll posted:

What? Nothing in this is p2w. It can all be unlocked. Don't be douche.

You are correct... I was being facetious. Everything is unlock-able with credits you can grind out.

(on a side note: just ignore the recent patch with the new mammoth XP requirements and now needing to reach the rank of General to effectively play the RTS portion of the game. Don't run off to buy gold, they will likely lower the requirements down to reasonable levels again *soon*)

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Mans posted:

How do you change your loadout in a match? Do i seriously need to guess whether i'll need a submachine gun or a rifle before i enter a battle? :psyduck:

Also, who had the bright idea of forcing you to leave a squad if you need to check\upgrade your equipment?

If you hire a Korean teenager to spend entire months grinding for you, yeah.

You can change loadout by exiting the game and equipping the new equipment. Then, enter the battle again. You have 2 minutes though, then you cant rejoin.

As of the latest patch, when you do this you need to leave the squad (if you are in a squad) to change weapons, which is annoying. A workaround might be to exit the application entirely, and it may work on restart. If it takes you a while to login again, and is too slow, you will be out of luck.

Gerbil_Pen fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 8, 2014

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
double post.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

ToiletDuckie posted:

I'm not sure I understand this game's credit system. Shooting down a P-38 (including kill message) and AT-mining ~5 tanks in one round is worth ~400 credits? I think I'd get more credits by literally never killing anyone and just driving to the nearest cap zone to stand in it?

Point caps are best. And character hopping.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Mans posted:

Would it be worth it to buy another soldier, strap a cheap SMG on him and do turns with both characters?

I have done this and it works fairly well. One with a LMG + sticky grenades(point defense / anti-tank) and another with an SMG and frags (assault).

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Mans posted:

In the salary info it says the soldier must participate in 50% of the battle. How do you know you only need 10 minutes to earn it?

That wasn't me who mentioned the 10 minutes.

I assume you need to be in the game a total of 50% on any number of characters.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Michaellaneous posted:

I am looking to play this game a bit and wonders if there are still some goons on mumble sometimes.

I don't.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Would you consider Voice Attack a cheat?

http://www.voiceattack.com/

Don't want to load the thing on my machine until I get some opinions.

I know other games are A-OK allowing it.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Lee Outrageous posted:

I'm wondering this as well, I have been hopping on the CTS mumble checking in the channel for this game now and then and it is always empty.

I play with my brother when I can, and even two people communicating is enough to win a match.

I recommend you guys meet up, it's a much different experience. I'd join, but I don't play with stageeeerrrrz.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I team up with my brother when I can, and even two people communicating is enough to win a match.

I recommend you guys meet up, it's a much different experience. I'd join, but I don't play with strangeeeerrrrz.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

What is the deal with paratrooper corps being selected for the map, but no planes? It's usually on defense, but still.

After initial deployment, paras lose the planes until they are moved back to an airfield and the General pays ~7500 warfunds for a new set of planes (that's just for the tier 1 paras).

Never worth the cost to use planes more than once.

Apparently this is some insurmountable glitch the full retards at reto have been unable to fix... conveniently draining funds all the while.

It will be fixed in the future.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bondematt posted:

My favorite is always the guys who will run off to capture an access point while we are losing one of the objectives, then the enemies just steamroll the other one with their entire weight. This game is in desperate need of voice comms so we can at least berate our team.

Is there still a way to suicide? Didn't it used to be like f4 or something?

F11

And the last thing I wanna hear is some loving prepubescent dick wad squeaking in my ear.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Wipfmetz posted:

...no XP for damaging tanks without kill.

^^^ very frustrating

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
... I use the scout vehicle very frequently.

FYI - hitting "c" switches your seat ... A second person can't shoot for poo poo driving anyhow. The main gun is nice and can take out light tanks. Definitely go for it.

E: this is one of those vehies designed for solo use...

Gerbil_Pen fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 15, 2014

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

TehKeen posted:

And while we're talking about vehicles, it is possible to equip both infantry and AT upgrades on a kubelwagen at the same time or must I choose?

You can only have 1 equipped at a time.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

Panzerfausts usually are. It takes 3-4 to bring down a tank, with 6 people and a jeep, it should never be a problem.

The dispenser allows only one out at a time, with a cool-down in between. Get sticky grenades.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Triple A posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_MqlAjJu2E

New build has arrived, let's hope this new supply system gives US a chance of winning a war 1 out of 10 times instead of 1 out of 1000.

Can't fix stupid.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

Does having a bazooka equipped puts me into a different category? Because search time just doubled

It should not matter.

e: how the hell did Germany win that last war?

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The RTS portion was a decent way to waste time, but the queue for ATs now is dumb as poo poo. It might change the outcome of a war (which has zero practical consequence) but makes the game slower... which is really unfun.

e:

Nitrox posted:

I still don't get how we end up with nothing but the expensive troops on the field and no infantry.

I blame the queue

Gerbil_Pen fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 24, 2014

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's official, the new S build sucks bunches.

You can spend all night waiting to deploy your ATs in the RTS side, and we all know that sitting and waiting on a week night for 6 hours is great game design that keeps you coming back for more!

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reggin posted:

I never saw too many americans pull out a bazooka most of the time I played or germans. That is until I got in a tank then it is one or two guys who always come find you.

The key to tanks in this game is to constantly move. Unless you're in a heavy tank, then you're screwed.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The learning curve for this game is incredible. There's people who have played for months that don't understand basic concepts of the game. I don't blame them entirely, as reto's ability to educate players is poo poo.

They essentially had a contest begging users to update their extremely out-of-date wiki.

On a side-note, I don't recommend spending any amount of money on the RTS part of the game... it is in flux, and rules changes can immediately nullify your purchase. I have not seen anything like that on the FPS side... yet (other than the steam bundles being a steal compared to standard prices).

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Haerc posted:

...scream at people all match...

Sounds like a typical H&G match to me.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It makes no sound for people you are grouped with otherwise I think it works.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone reading this thread played the game for longer than 4 months?

You'll find that generally many of the "bugs"/poor design changes that seem to linger well beyond any reasonable length of time are the ones that overcharge/steal warfunds, credits or gold. But it's beta, right?

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
No need for a meltdown. Vehicle repair costs are hardly noticeable. But uninstall as needed. More room for ...

Gerbil_Pen fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 22, 2014

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Mans posted:

Does that mean this game is good but unfun bf2142 where tanks rule it all and american poo poo is better? :smug:

No... Infantry kill tanks easier than other tanks can. Learning the few maps is important to doing well... Starting off in a tank will just end up with you getting killed constantly because you keep loving popping your head out to see where you are.

If you don't know the maps as a pilot, you won't know the routes people take and will have a hell of a time killing peeps on the ground.

Infantry first for sure.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's hard to make WF in the RTS part of the game with anything other than guards and non-motorized infantry (tank hunting with sticky grenades).

I've made WF using my light tanks, but never have paratroopers been worth the cost. I've also failed to make WF with planes, as it really relies on having very few crashes and lots of enemy tanks.

Any tips here?

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Courthouse posted:

So I just discovered this and got all nostalgic for the old bf 1942 days. Unfortunately I went American before checking SA for a thread, how do I switch sides?

Looks like it'll be another couple days before the Americans win.

They can last anywhere from a day or two to a month.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

L-Boned posted:

Do they ever offer specials? This game's marketing is the exact opposite of WoT.

Every time they offer new things, they seem to be a better deal than prior sales.

The steam packs, for example. I've never seen actual "For this week only, 50% off!"

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The Germans are winning again.

Oh, and Russians in 2015.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Gamerofthegame posted:

Tankers can spawn on their tanks so long as it isn't in the middle of being unlocked. :ssh:

I think you can still attempt to spawn, and it becomes a race as to who gets in first.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

That's my MP40 setup now as well. Bring it will you when you go para. Don't buy the para-specific gun because it's almost 300k, can't be upgraded and won't be available to you if you go back to other classes. Worst money I've spent in game, period.

Or get the Russian SMG (PPSH)... clip size is nice, but you need headshots and close (or medium close) range.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Resource posted:

I ran around with a pistol as a para so I could carry grenades. I was doing it to level up the handgun badge with the Happyholidays2014 voucher thing. It went pretty well. Land somewhere unexpected, shoot all the dudes, grab the nice Thompson. Problem solved.

Edit: Also, how should I level up to get tank destroying capabilities as a para?

That'll be a long road. In that case, you may wanna buy $8 worth of gold and spend some of it on sticky grenades. I have a para with stickies, normal grenades, and a pistol. I imagine leveling that sort of thing as a para for "free" will take forever (paras can't equip bazookas).

If you're feeling really cheap, you can buy the ground based anti tank mines... But they take an precious extra slot and are more difficult to use than stickies.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

wjs5 posted:

If you choose to change to a being a tanker or what ever can you change lines back at any time or are you completely stuck after the choice?

When you switch "professions" you permanently lose current gear. For example, if you're a tanker and switch to infantry, then decide to go back to tanker, you will then need to re-purchase your tanks.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

I went from infantry to paratrooper and back and all my infantry purchases were still there. Is this a tank-only sort of deal?

Oh, really? I asked this on their forums in the newbie section a few iterations ago, so maybe it changed... I never wanted to risk it.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Resource posted:

Wait, so now that I have para, I can't switch back and forth between infantry and para without paying each time? So I'm stuck only doing para or starting all over to make a new infantry guy? This game is constantly loving up when it comes to making me not hate it.

You'll need multiple characters... that's why the guy above said to keep your infantry and start a new character for para.

And yes, unless you drop gold, this game is a slog if you want to experience most of the content (different characters, tanks, both factions, the RTS side, etc).

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

wjs5 posted:

Germany won the war. So we doing the same faction agian?

...wait for this next one to end.The queue on German side is horrendous and it appears the US was plugging away shortly after server crash. It will be over momentarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

wjs5 posted:

The big war map is mostly for the guys that have a high enough rank to move units around.

Moving ATs around requires rank 12, but anyone can play war matches. Unless you're bad, then stick with training... you'll enjoy it more.

• Locked thread