Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Saskatchewan is close enough right?? We have enough lifted pickups to qualify methinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Just got back from a trip to Fernie then Calgary. The 2 did well but struggled with the 50 km/h headwind through pincher creek. I got 8.3 l/100km that tank as opposed to 6.3 coming back on hwy 22.

Some observations:
1. I think at least half of the ads on highway 3 are pro life messages.
2. Highway 22 is a pretty cool drive but I could see traffic being a bit nuts.
3. I've never driven the 1A back from Canmore. I like it a lot better than just cruising on the 1.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

MrChips posted:

1A between Canmore and CocklandCochrane is a great driving road, but the number of assholes out there speeding and generally being dangerous has brought about a very large police presence in recent years.

Traffic was light when I drove it. I was lucky enough to not see either police nor people being dumb.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
No snow in SK yet, but I saw a Dinan badged X5 spin out yesterday in the rain. Wonder how bald those summers were. :haw:

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Bajaha posted:

But but but... he had superior BMW AWD!!! :confused:

It was also about 5c or some poo poo. AWD won't save you if your tires are hockey pucks.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Yeah no kidding.

What about an 220v plug (or 2) In the garage?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

So....hose heater, coolant gets toasty, but oil stays cool, and with the contact heater the oil gets toasty but the coolant stays frosty. Am I right to thing that having your coolant warm will get the oil warmer faster than the oil having to warm the block and coolant? Also, lately I've been checking out webasto and espar fuel fired heaters, those look like the cats rear end. I can pick one up on German ebay for about 300€ for one from a scrapped late model car. Sweetest thing is the units can be set up to turn on your heater fan once the coolant is warm, which gets your interior nice and comfy. Way, way more complicated and expensive than an electric setup though, with a side of potential to set something on fire.

I had a 1.8t Audi that came to me with a oil pan heater that worked somewhat but it was so much better after I put in a 750w heater in the coolant line going to the oil cooler. Keep in mind that most oil pan heaters are 125-150 watts or so whereas you can get a 1000 watt immersion heater.

To me the best is having both tied to one plug in.

You had to watch though as if you didn't plug it in long enough (I.e. ~1 hour at -20 ish) the coolant temp sensor would think it was warm and it would start easily.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Edit f b

Naw its the gooch.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

bible thumpers

Haha that makes sense now with all the pro life billboards on #3

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

^^ Get out you Saskatchewan hutterite

Hey now.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Look guys, if I see one more Dodge Journey with the high beams on I'm going to get out and beat the driver to death.

:toxx:

Holy poo poo I hate that too.

WHY THE gently caress DO YOU HAVE YOUR HIGH BEAMS ON IN THE loving CITY.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I saw an R33 Skyline today in Saskatoon. First one I've seen here. I find it kind of funny that people run a car with potentially JDM only parts on it in the winter.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

iv46vi posted:

Welders are paid much better than drivers. Get a pressure vessel ticket for something that's not oilfield.

underwater Pressure Welding would almost definitely be related to oil in AB (and Sk, BC probably). In fact I would say most vessel work dollar wise is related to capital spending on shiny new big plants versus maintenance work. Keep in mind a few companies have cut capital next year.

Not saying don't go into it just have your eyes open.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
For shits and giggles I did a search on kijiji for e36's is Saskatchewan. :stare: some gems in there. Also $7500 for a e30 318is.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I have to prove it out but I noticed a jump in mileage switching the wifes skyactiv 3 to premium also. From high 8s to mid 7s city. If you need a cheap city car the mazda2 gets 7-7.5 in the city driving like an rear end.

I sold the 87 4runner a couple of weeks ago so I bought an intake and torsion bar for the 2. Its got a little growl now - it reminds me of Clarksons 500 abarth review (I know it's ridiculous). However, the intake path from factory is pretty convoluted though - the maf housing is shared by the ECU...

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Visibilty was less than a half mile on Saturday where I was in the Prince Albert area.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Taking the Mazda2 to Regina for Super Slalom which is held at a cart track. Haven't been out in 2+ years so I'm pretty pumped. Looking forward to lift off oversteer :V

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
:boom:

You could use two teeth to make a :canada: version.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1988-toyota-tacoma-sr5-v6-4x4-5-speed-access-cab/1085303244?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I guess Toyota tax goes exponentially by age at the dealer??

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Does it point north ?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Tommychu posted:

No, but it's really good for axial loads.

So like a double tapered roller.

E: assuming it goes both ways

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

MrChips posted:

That's actually a heading.

:v:

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Immaculate conception infection

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I was just telling a friend about this but thought you guys might be interested. I've been buying tires from pmctire.com which ships from Quebec. Usually pretty cheap. Purolator shipping is usually a week's and only for like $10 per set.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

Just clicking around at the last few sets i've been involved with buying, they seem to be about + or - $10 of costco's mounted price.

costco's price also includes lifetime balancing, rotation, and flat repair.

Huh didn't know Costco was that cheap. I don't have a membership there unfortunately.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
That looks really good. Lighting is the next thing in my garage after I finish getting some primer on the drywall. The shared wall and ceiling were done previously so it's all faded yellow.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I'm not mudding just priming so it's all white and more easily cleaned that just straight drywall. A guy at work had a good idea that involved putting 1x4s painted in your colour of choice over the seams. May or may not work depending on how the seams are.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

That makes sense, that drywall paper isn't exactly easy to clean if it gets wet but I can't say I ever really thought about it.

What's the rationale about covering the seams with 1x4s? What kind of fluids do you have spurting over the walls of your garage?

Haha you never know when things could get sporty! I was thinking not just fluids but scuffs. And spider pig tracks. I mean who walks on the good side

The 1x4s are just to cover the seams but the look wouldnt be for everyone.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
My only knowledge of 928's is the Top Gear cheap Porsche episode.

Finally lined up someone to get my garage ceiling blown in - under $400 for R-40 and 3 days notice.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I definitely don't need another car but for some reason I have 9 searches on Kijiji right now.

Which leads to thinking about stuff like a late 90's Outback sport:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/subaru-outback-1999-for-sale/1113782860?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I need more garage space...

EDIT: Bring a Trailer is also trouble: http://bringatrailer.com/2015/11/20/1000-1973-datsun-240z-racer-shell/

Timmy Cruise fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 21, 2015

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

poo poo and here I am buying a Civic like a sucker. That thing is mint (even with the weird rear quarter rust repair that somehow lost the OBS-specific trim), and my '97 Outback Sport was the best car I ever owned. If you don't buy this right now we're getting a divorce.

I have to be careful not to cause an actual divorce. Initial feedback is somewhat ambivalent...

Theoretically I could get someone to check it out for :tenbux: x? Right? (wink wink)

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
That would, ironically, be both a likley deal breaker for me but a selling point to the wife (she's more comfortable driving an auto, long story). How bad is the auto in those years, longevity wise?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I think the dude who bought my B5 A4 took out a loan to do it.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Just want to say congrats to 1500 on a sweet Rx7 and that it's awesome seeing ABAI in action.

Lotta cool poo poo going on lately in AI. Except for the dogpuke. Hope you don't have carpet Jonathan.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

jonathan posted:

lick her sore
:stare: never heard that one before....

So I guess there's a dude running a rally X south of Regina that I'm going to try to make.

I was losing motivation on doing anything with the 'project car' BMW that I've had for a while; being that autocross has been sparse here in Saskatoon there has been no Rally X here at all I was thinking of dumping it on Kijiji. With at least a couple of events I can hopefully make I'll get some use out of it at least.

It looks pretty good from outside (for a $1K BMW):

Underneath the unassuming exterior, though, there were a few surprises to be had:

It's a sunroof car and of course it had leaked so the interior is now in the trash. Of course as I was doing this discovered the custom harlequin interior. Interestingly, there are no huge accidents reported and it has an SK safety sticker from 04 so either it didn't get caught on inspection, the repair method was OK with the inspector, or it was fixed under the table as cheaply as possible. I am thinking of putting in some reinforcement, but I have no experience doing this so any suggestions would be helpful. (I do have a welder, etc.)

I'm in the process of pulling and wiring not essential to actually driving the car. Less supperleggera more in hopes of reducing the risk of it doing that burny thing that Italian cars sometimes do.

So, that leaves me with a car that is worth exactly gently caress all but is kind of a hoot to drive. Somehow I lucked out and got a winter package car so it has an LSD rear end and the M50 has some decent grunt. Being that it also started life as an automatic, it comes with the 3.91 ratio. I've since put in a manual from a 94' 325 as the auto was pooched. If you know your BMW tranny's this one came with a 1:1 5th gear, so highway isn't exactly ideal with ~3300 rpm or something at 100 km/h. However, with it being such a pile I see it as a blank canvas. I.e. who cares about rock chips, scuffs, etc. Rattlecan paint job? gently caress yeah. Offroading? Why the hell not?

Future plans include HSS bumper with lights and a skidplate. Not sure on a lift kit yet - I have to do some research so I don't mess up geometry, etc .(at least not that much).

Timmy Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 1, 2016

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

My tables!

But on-topic again, that's the car you put my pedals and some other stuff into, right?

QCMA are good people, if they're putting on an ice-dice at Kronau you should definitely go, you'll have a blast. There was some up-fuckery around ownership & access for that regional park, so they might have moved to a different frozen pond. Either way, it's good fun.

poo poo, my bad. Should be better now. I always forget about that.

Yes, your pedals and shift knob live on. Forgot to mention that (and thanks again!)

I did go to one event at Three Flags with the Mazda2 which was fun. Haven't seen any winter stuff from them and I was visiting with family when Sports Car Olympics was on.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
That's just a reflection. If it's the front passenger fender you're looking at, of course.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

I'VE NEVER BEEN ON A TRAIN BEFORE

Execudork posted:

armed-and-angry farmers

:canada: Saskatchewan indeed.

The only time I've been to GP was driving through it on the way to Powderking. It's actually a lot bigger than I thought - if it was in SK it'd be the 3rd largest city.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Oh man that is hilarious.

What do you have that runs those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I doubt you'd have issues. looks like you have enough for a street set plus one for rallycross :getin: