Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

You just had to go post this thread when I'm out of town until Friday. Just you wait Seat Safety Switch, just you wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

jonathan posted:

On a side note, is there or has there ever been a snowy autocross event ? I have a jeep that absolutely motors through deep snow.

When we still had access to the Edmonton Garrison Taxiway, I ran auto x events all winter long. Sometimes we would get lucky and the wind or the facility manager didn't plow the runway.

The Edmonton Rally Club runs winter rally-x events that are amazing, plus there's ice racing. No beuno on tracking a JK or any other 4wd Jeep though due to the CoG.

I've got a Alberta motorsports events megapost in the works for this very thread.

EFB: drat you Grant!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The Leduc 1000 km endurance race is happening now at Castrol. Where is everyone? (I'm pit crew for the Smokey & The Bandit FC so come say hi.)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wonder how rotary torque delivery is in the snow?

Oh boy do I have some stories for you!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The first annual Leduc Alberta 1000km GT Endurance race is now over. Our car placed first in GTP1 and 2nd Overall.

4 RX7's entered (all with their Doritos still intact) - 3 finished. A GSL-SE was sidelined with a dead fuel pump.

2nd, 3rd and 5th overall were all RX-7's! We would have had 1st place by 30 minutes but were in the pits replacing a fuel pump killed by deteriorating fuel cell foam.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

So, how does one get involved with the leduc 1000?

The Leduc 1000 is run by the NASCC, so hit up their website ( http://nascc.ab.ca/ ) or Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/19068689376/ ). They are always looking for volunteers (corner workers, etc.)

If you want to race, you'll need a car that falls into any one of their road racing categories (GTP1,GTP2, etc) and a race license. The license schools are hosted at the beginning of the season and usually before each event. For instance, there was a race license school on July 25 for the July 26 race.

For the endurance race specifically, you would need another two drivers to enter a vehicle due to the 2 hour stint/3 driver maximum/minimum.

That's about as short of a primer on road racing in Alberta as one can muster.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Samu posted:

Any of you guys into off roading or quadding? I live north of Edmonton and it's all there really is to do here.

I've got a JK wrangler on Grabber AT2s that I have zero issues with getting covered in mud. I'm in St Albert. Found a really fun trail South of Stony a few weeks ago.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Samu posted:

it's all there really is to do here.

I totally missed this the first time. I've got a post in the works for this thread that proves this 100% false.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

It will be twenty degrees well into November.

Mark my words well, gentlemen.

I'll take that bet.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Whelp, it's officially snowed in the Edmonton area. Got the winters on the RX-8 just in time. If you see a RX-8 driving around with colour mismatched super advans this winter, wave! I'm also curious to see how my Grabber AT2's on the wrangler are going to hold up in the snow & ice. That snow flake rating better not be a lie.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

I had to get rid of my Mini. It don't fit kids. :(

But I did get to pick up a new Volvo! :)

Featuring seamless hepatitis!

...I should not be this excited about a station wagon.

I don't know if I'm in a position to demand a thread or not. I must know more.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Which submodel is it? T5 or T6 engine? AWD? How's the power band? If you have the AWD system, how do you like it (assuming you've driven other mfg's)? More pictures (maybe in the wagon thread)! I came very very close to trading my wrangler in for a Polestar V60 this year.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

This snow is awesome! I made it to work in record time this morning. I knew wranglers were beasts off road but being able to plow through 50cm drifts in 2wd is just way too much fun. I also think it's safe to say that for the money, the Grabber AT2's were worth it. They're not fantastic on ice, but they're a hell of a lot better than the stock dueller rh-s.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

So is the market going to get flooded with repo'd Raptors soon? Because I'd be OK with that.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Get your priorities straight sonny

get a bike

Slidebite is right. The Foz is fine. Turbo the accent (and rally-x it). Get a Duke 390 (or that SXV-550 the guy from echo wanted to sell me for way under market value).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Best donair/gyro's in the world are in Berlin. Absolutely unbeatable street vendors. They don't do the gross meatloaf on a stick either: it's all proper stacked cuts of meat grilled together with the drippings collected and brushed back on for full flava

I've never found a place in Canada that does the meat right

And yes, a full handful of fresh onion and generous servings of donair sauce are crucial.

When I was going to the u of a, I used to crush a Wildcat from Mike's Famous almost every week. That was a good time in my life. :allears: even though the meat wasn't "right", double meat double cheese always goes down right

This man speaks the truth - the "Turkish" Döner Buden in Germany are the best. I fear for my waistline when I go back. [Döner macht schöner - after all.]

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

This needs to be capitalized to properly convey the sentiment.

LOLWTF

Seriously, who in their right mind would pay that? You can get a Rubicon or a GC for that kind of money...

It's now doomed to fail - from day 1.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

neckbeard posted:

Went out for a run today and saw 2 different Tesla Model Ss within the span of an hour this afternoon

My boss just took delivery of his P85D and has been taking everyone for rides. Holy Shitnacks, it is fast. The 1st thing he did upon getting in was put it in insane mode and says it's staying in that mode forever. Riding in that thing has now single handily destroyed sports cars for me.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Ain't no way anyone older than about sixteen can do three hours straight in a loving shifter kart.

Challenge accepted!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

24 hour MDF kart race with water guns. Do it!

You meant water balloons and banana peels right?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I bet you could turn a tidy profit with a track side hot tub. Most people practically give them away on kijiji due to how much of a bitch moving them is.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

That new kart track needs a Kei car racing league. Suzuki Carrys, Dhaihatsu Hijets, Honda Beats, etc.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Yeah, that's probably reasonable but like I said I don't care about leagues or standings or even anybody else being on the track. I just want a sweet little kart and a track to drive it on. I'd doubt that anyone would rent me track time to just go out and be a loser. And the fact that you can't do your own wrench is understandable but sucks some of the fun out as well.

I think this is why I'll just end up getting another dirt bike. I can just go out and ride on my own time, have fun. No hassle. I think I would have the same issues with any organized Motorsport. I had a good time racing mini stocks years ago but I just don't have the time and money anymore.

This is why we need pocket bikes and a pickup truck. There plenty of empty Walmart parking lots around the city at 0200.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

If there are any local goons who own some Doritos - there's some fun happening on May 31. I might make a post in the chat thread regarding brainstorming some ideas at a later date. https://edmontonrx7club.wordpress.com/2015/02/22/edmonton-rx-7-club-road-rally-scavenger-hunt/

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

And everybody else can take bets on how many cars live throughout the whole day!

1500quidporsche posted:

TSD rally with dorito engines.

Those poor apex seals :ohdear:

RADL assemble!

I ran a TSD that Red Bull hosted in my FC in 2008 and it survived no problem. As did the 350whp FC of my team mate.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The Red Bull one was strictly on public city streets. The ones I'm running this year for the club will be as well since they're basically substitutes for our Auto-X's since we lost our venue. (Poor substitutes but better than nothing.)

slidebite posted:

Diggin' the Sea King Rescue duallie in the background

Those guys had a great sense of humour - the rotors on the roof were rigged to the tach iirc.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

if somebody knows of an interesting and under-appreciated route through the foothills / eastern Rockies, I'd love to hear about it!

I plan on running this in my Wrangler this summer: http://graveltravel.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74:forestry-trunk-road&catid=1

Top Down & Doors off.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

phade posted:

I really don't know what to make of this:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...gationFlag=true

Check out the poster's other ads for a totally sweet LEGIT NASCAR (currently parked uncovered outside)

That thing pops up for sale every year. I've actually seen it in person. A high school shop class could build it over a semester save for the paint. The concept is ridiculous which is what makes it. Practically, it's rubbish.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Raluek posted:

yall need jesus adblock ublock (assuming you're running chrome)

Adblock started allowing some ads through due to money changing hands.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I wonder if the seller would entertain trades - such as my GL1100...

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Do it. Do it now.

DrakeriderCa posted:

You have to at least try

Email sent. Let's see how this shakes out.

Edit: Owner got back to me - trying to make room, so not looking for another bike. :(

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 8, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

What's the opinion of ABAI on an S-15 or S-10 vs a Ranger? My dad had an S-15 with the 4.3 that I loved. Great truck.

Paging SSW to the ABAI courtesy phone - paging SSW to the courtesy phone.

My dad had a '87 4wd S-10 Blazer as a beater for a few years - the body rusted away long before the drive train quit.

FB 13B's almost bolt right in to the Mazda B2200/Rangers.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I wish I could make it but I'm neck deep in home renovations so I can sell the single car and move up to a double at the minimum (plus a hoist). I'll be in your neck of the woods lots this summer though!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Pickin up the van saturday

Absolutely stoked.

Nice! Those things are loving tanks. I spent 4+ years in one of those as a kid making monthly runs from Moose Jaw to Edmonton - I don't remember a single hiccup (neither do my folks). We lost track of it after our cousins traded it in with 900000km on it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

My folks had one that was an absolute garbage pile. Stupid AWD never worked right and it would cost them hundreds every time they took it in for service.

My bad - I totally forgot this would be the AWD version and not the RWD. I have zero experience with the GM AWD version.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

When you first get it, do a brake stand launch and see if you have heavy duty rear springs or not.

Ideally with video evidence so that we can keep the burnout theme going in the post your own ride thread.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

What the gently caress are you waiting for - that's chump change!

It is also possible to consistently set FTD in one of those during Rally-X. Just saying.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

:stare:

I sat as a passenger in one for the ice dice and at best I would describe those as a handful for rallycross. They may be better on gravel and mud but you lose steering once you gather any sort of speed on sheer ice.

Seeing an AW11 absolutely harass a bugeye WRX during an ice racing event is incredible - so it can be done. I'm not saying it's easy. Also, I am told it is absolutely terrifying as a passenger.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

Snow forecast forecast for saturday. good thing i haven't put my summer tires on yet :smug:

Same here - still rockin' the Gislaveds (on dry pavement :suicide:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The FTR was me. I was planning on running the whole thing this summer bottom to top or vice versa. Thanks for looking in to it. I guess I'll plan for a post June 15 excursion. ( I have 3 seats available if anyone else is interested.)