Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Hey OP you forgot the IRC channel's horrible thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

zen death robot posted:

Some things are best left forgotten, really.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Imp Zone (47 users browsing)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Isn't it also due to Valve insisting all DLC be sold on Steam and not through in-game purchasing via Origin?
You realise the can of worms an exception would cause right. EA is meant to still put titles onto Steam, just when the complete pack with all the DLC exists.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

This is pretty much the last three seasons of "Dexter," and I watched all that bullshit.
I know you've tried to wipe it from your mind but there was an eighth season made as well.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Orv posted:

Now I haven't seen all of Dexter but uh... que?
It's better you don't know.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Sober posted:

Play Splinter Cell Blacklist instead.
Are you referring to the first person sections as Briggs, or the sections where you're plot-discovered and forced into combat?

Reading this thread reminds me to play more of The Last Remnant.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

havenwaters posted:

So, one of the original enhanced steam guys made Idle Master a program that will idle your steam games for you until you run out of cards.

I may actually get all my card drops no I won't
I'd avoid this, the guy is ripping code out of SAM and repackaging it without permission.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Awesome! posted:

3 hours idled so far in bad rats. 1 card dropped. :argh: :argh: :argh:
You should have all the cards from completing the game.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Gorilla Radio posted:

I am preparing a key dump. Does steam have separate messages for keys that would activate products that are already owned and for keys that have already been activated? I don't want to try to give away keys that no longer work, but when I try them on my own steam, it pops up with the "product already owned" and I can't tell if the key is still good to be traded or not.. Thanks.
After a set amount of attempts it just auto-denies so that's not a great method of verification.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

No need to post if you grab any of these:

Thief Gold: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=dCZThXWYEMbzhESG

Hitman Codename 47: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=8Y8bsHps3PVHPEbR
Hitman 2 Silent Assassin: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=Ncm7wY2apmkmhHux
Hitman Blood Money: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=xS5zHcW7YR8fb6Tp
Hitman Absolution: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=VTE24my8ccCuAM7d

Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=sBtaNEXbEUuBcGzh
Deus Ex Invisible War: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=HM3WkFSYZafshpC3
Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=4HmfUqyN2XVcZh3E

Just Cause 2: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=2d3aM2WRMdPReqqs

The Last Remnant: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=KM5TRhdxxPDvmPB5

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

revdrkevind posted:

This is one of the reasons I hate (many) horror genre games. 90% of the tension seems to be from intentionally using awful cameras and controls so that people feel helpless when anything happens. I've beaten some of the RE games only thanks to cheats, and even then sometimes I'd know there's an enemy in a certain spot and even with unlimited ammo it was just impossible to shoot the enemy until they were right in your face. I have a similar problem with Dead Space, it feels like 90% of the scares are enemies won't spawn until you move so far up the room and then you have to fight the awful controls to shoot them. Switch out for Halo controls and the suspense is gone.
It turns out that survival horror relies on a lack of resources to provide tension, who knew?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Palpek posted:

Hey, I forgot to thank you for the Chopin games. I'll be soon testing how bad they are :laugh:.
The games are amazing, go in blind.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Liquid Penguins posted:

They're giving away free games to get you to install their HDD scanning software, advertising popups, and digital store.

(I'm not implying steam is perfect)
The HDD scanning is user-defined folders for finding games. There's the optional Origin Experience Reporting where you can share "system interaction data". Don't recall if that's opt-in or opt-out but they explain it in an FAQ on their site. The client doesn't do anything particularly dodgy last I checked. I don't like and consider it a lovely service that isn't needed, but it's not actively malicious.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

iastudent posted:

Games Workshop's catalog is today's daily deal.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/gamesworkshopsale

On that note, lately I've been playing a lot of Talisman: Digital Edition when I just need something chill to do and it's pretty fun. I thought about snagging a couple copies for friends from the sale but according to Steam forums it has a lot of stability issues online.
I've played 14 hours with other goons and not had an issue.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Like I said, anything that wasn't complete garbage?

oh wait...I guess they published original half life or something. Meh but who cares now. Sierra's backlog of IPs is poo poo in an outhouse so who gives a poo poo if they're "back"
SWAT 4

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Where is it hiding?
Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Limit bandwidth to:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I don't get why you guys are acting like it isn't timed exclusivity.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The Kins posted:

I'm sorry, did you guys miss the post about Geometry Wars 3 being a thing? Because you're not all screaming hysterically about Geometry Wars 3 being a thing.
Also King's Quest.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Veotax posted:

Note that the Steam version of Dead Space 2 has a bunch of cheat DLC enabled, flooding the store with free over-powered items. You can ignore them, but it makes the store a mess (and buying any of the suits upgrades your basic suit's stats long before you would do that normally).

You can disable that stuff if you can get your hands on an un-patched exe, though.
If it's actual DLC in steam you can disable it in the client now via Properties -> DLC -> Install [✓]

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Delusibeta posted:

I have no idea why they haven't region locked that to just the UK. :shrug:

(This is the one time that I'll defend region locking. This is largely useless outside of the UK)
You just wait until they add trading cards.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Delusibeta posted:

So, the folks over at SteamDB has uncovered a bunch of new features coming in Steam Store v6. Steam Guard working with Google Authenticator, anyone?
Bunch of interesting stuff listed there

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe I've asked this before, but what's with games that have both partial and full controller support? Is this some superposition thing? I just read a lovely article asking whether quantum computing was the future of PC games but I doubt that has happened yet.
The guidelines for full control support tend to mean you can launch the game without hitting a launcher and can use the controller without configuration. Partial is for cases where there is controller support but you have to enable it. It's a useful identifier for Big Picture Mode, but it's a bit patchy across games iirc.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

Dark Souls has partial controller support and I'm pretty sure the only thing you use the keyboard for is putting your name in.

edit: if you have a controller plugged in anyway.
Having wrestled with Dark Souls not an hour ago I disagree - GFWL is still a bitch.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Fable Anniversary is literally an xbox game that also happened to get a PC release simultaneously because why not. It's the same as Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs, pick you example.
Those are some really bad examples, Tomb Raider and Deus Ex have been on PC before the xbox existed. Sleeping Dogs had HD textures DLC available for free at release so I'm rather curious what the re-release is going to contain.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Pierson posted:

Are there any good games on Steam for just tearing down and destroying stuff with the most and biggest explosions and debris possible? Red Faction Guerrilla Just Cause 2 and are good ones, anything else?
Kerbal Space Program?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I heard there was talk of a skeleton game?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Take Abduction missions for example: In vanilla you just get a popup every so often saying "Oh poo poo, aliens! Pick one of these 3 missions!" whereas in LW the aliens send out an Abductor ship out on a mission - if you have satellites and air coverage you can see it coming and [try to] shoot it down, or just wait and do the mission.
That mechanic exists in vanilla but is disabled by default although you can enable it through an ini edit. XCOM's design team would have tested air combat at that scale and saw it heavily influenced a disproportionate amount of the game's difficulty. The Long War is technically interesting but the game design is really modders.txt where features are added without care of interaction between systems. The XCOM thread is mostly TLW chat as XCOM has been talked to death and there isn't another place to speak about specific total conversion mods. To that end it'd be nice if a subforum existed to cover large mods.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

I'm not sure why it matters that the mechanic exists but is unused in vanilla, it's a feature that LW uses that I like. I doubt it was left off for reason of balance either, XCOM went through a ton of iterations before it settled into the released form, it seems more like they just settled on a boardgame like mechanic because that's the type of game Firaxis and Sid Meier like to make. I don't feel like any of their systems stand out as not working well together either, do you have any examples?

Literally every shot you take in XCOM is a roll of the dice, the whole game is built around getting the best possible dice rolls and minimising the consequences if your rolls fail. If you keep up with air tech you should be happily shooting down all small-medium UFOs by the midgame, and for large UFOs you can either handle them on the ground or burn consumables to shoot them down and hope for luck.
It's a roll of a dice that affects the outcome of one system - the battlescape. Expanding the amount of dice rolls and their impact to more systems [geoscape & airspace] adds more chaos and makes gameplay very difficult to control. The counter to this is to add more units that are less powerful to the player to make individual loss less impactful, but complicates the board state. The game becomes a delicate battle of attrition on multiple fronts where failing at one causes a domino effect. This is avoided by having one system have a stronger impact on the rest - in vanilla that'd be the battlescape with geoscape & airspace acting as relatively mild influences due to lack of player involvement. The bonus of using the battlescape is that the player is more attached to individual units and the variety of choices makes the environment more controllable by the player. I see this as the main reason that the battlescape is given the importance that is in vanilla over complicating every other system in avoidance of simple elegance.

The Long War also doesn't like risk-minimisation strategies that come from vanilla, such as grenades, and has gone overboard in making the RNG control the game instead of the player.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Delusibeta posted:

And now all of Ubisoft's future games has disappeared from the Steam store here in the UK. Guess they inked a new exclusivity deal with Game or something.
What a shame, £50 for Assassin's Creed Unity or Far Cry 4 was too good of a price.

e: For XCOM I'd strongly discourage Enemy Within for your first time. Avoid Easy/Normal difficulty as well as it fudges the numbers behind the scenes and hampers the AI. EU+EW is a much better deal than EU+Bureau regardless if you think the Bureau is a good game or not. If you buy EW you can still play the base game, and I'd recommend a controller if only for precise grenade/rocket placement.

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 21, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wasn't Game going for a boom or bust in-store digital download service to appease what's left of their shareholders?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ragequit posted:

Wow, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs was pretty lackluster after the fun original. I rolled my eyes when I got to another "water monster" section. The ever present fog was a bit annoying as well. It just didn't bring the great atmosphere the first game had. It's decent enough if you love horror games I suppose, but I was just underwhelmed.

Oh well, back to the Shadowrun DLC campaign.
Well Frictional Games let The Chinese Room try to make an Amnesia game. It's got a lot of nice visuals but the developer doesn't have the experience for an Amnesia-type horror game. They're great at atmosphere but when it comes to player interaction they miss the mark. Amusingly if they read Frictional Games' blog on horror game design they'd have avoided a fair amount of the problems. It's strange that both small dev teams got together like they did, and how the game was initially marketed but it's unique in it's own little way.

Look forward to SOMA in 2015 if you want to see Frictional Games' stuff rather than outsourced devs putting their own twist on the style.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Delusibeta posted:

If there's any games that deserve the tag "walking simulators", it's Chinese Room games. They strike me as the sort that think that gameplay gets in the way of their ~*art*~.

And in other news, anyone want to actually buy a Choose Your Own Adventure game?
I'm rather offended by the misuse of F.E.A.R.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

itsjustdrew posted:

I'm so glad all the DLC on civ 5 was on sale this week, SUCH a good game, a great waste of time. I already have 28 hours clocked on it. My rating 12/10; I'd only buy it if it was cheap.
Glad to hear you finished a game.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

SWAT4 needs a drat proper digital release dammit.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

If anyone wants to play the original XCOM:EU then remember that OpenXcom exists.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The Swapper is a good game and you should be ashamed you've not played it already.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Of note: http://www.accc.gov.au/media-releas...representations

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

breadcat posted:

I mostly felt the same way. DS2 has so many missteps when it comes to mechanics like adaptability, reintroducing consumable healing items, the durability bug on pc, soul memory and the botched implementation of the main pvp covenants, but only a handful of improvements.
Same, I think adaptability led to some of the encounter/boss design problems due to a lack of knowledge about the player's limitations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Nefarious posted:

Would you guys recommend playing XCOM vanilla on the first playthrough or jump in with both feet to EW too?
Start with EU. You'll learn the tech tree and balancing panic, and for the next game EW will shake things up.

Play on Classic (ironman optional but encouraged) - easy/normal cheat in your favour and will teach bad habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Here's a contraption maker key for anyone who wants it: 4QPP0-K3CW5-D67R5

e: Thanks for the copy Awesome!

• Locked thread