Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

How are the turn times?

Incredibly fast compared to the other recent 3D map Total Wars. Even with all the DLC races added in a Warhammer turn takes about 1/8th of the time of a Rome 2 turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

How is Maia? It looks like sims in a space colony, and I know the reviews say mixed, but the developer's also still working on it, so... has the dude fixed it at all?

I backed it on Kickstarter six years ago and I wouldn't even call it playable at this point.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"I don't take poo poo from wannabe cartels"

Real critical thinker on our hands here.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The remake is not out yet, no.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Both Gamersgate and Amazon are selling old Pathologic.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It slowly dawned on all of us that all the expansions to Talisman do is make the game take twice as long. Almost nothing's actually good or better than in the base game.

We also got the ending where you have to kill Satan and realized that when we selected random characters two of us got characters that have zero chance of ever winning since they do the wrong kind of combat. I still love this terrible game.

Talisman is bad all the way down.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I always kind of want to play those games that are said to be that bad because I kind of want to see if they are that bad. You only ever see the videos of people deliberately trying to bug it out, just not caring, or the edited together footage of many actual hours and can't help but wonder if I went in trying to actually play the game, not entertain people on Youtube, what it would actually be like.

In this case, Raven's Cry is actually as bad as people say. Eurojank is being nice to it, almost too nice, in the face of what a tremendous shitshow it is.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is 4,99 on Origin atm

Thanks.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't think I was properly prepared by reviews for just how ill-conceived and poorly designed Resident Evil 6 is. It's at least kind of perversely fascinating in its badness, at least.

Awwwwww here it goes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"Oh, this seems like a pitched battle sequence, they probably won't pull the train QTE gimmick here, too-"

*pounced on by zombie, killed by train during QTE escape*

"Oh, I guess there are trains after all, well, I'm ready this time-"

*train comes, hit QTE button, nothing happens*

"Weird, did I miss the timing on that? Oh, well, I'm ready for it now-"

*train comes, realize there's no QTE prompt at all in this area, you just have to be where it's not*

:mad:

It's a bad, bad game, much as some people will protest otherwise.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The wrestling part is poo poo too, but at least it's funny garbage.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Waffle! posted:

Strike Vector EX is out and looks p awesome

Smoke bogies erra day

That trailer is :krad: but even at that price point a MP competitive plane game is going to die so fast it's not really worth it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Isn't it already kind of dead? That game was in early access for ages, and the player base died off pretty quickly after the first time it was "released".

Oh I didn't realize it had been. Probably then.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MussoliniB posted:

I may be in the minority here, but I hated Book of Demons and my absolute favorite game of all time was Diablo. There's a demo actually available on their website and I couldn't make it through. The entire thing takes place on rails, the movement is at a turtle's pace, and every quest I got was just "kill this big boss down the end of the rail."

Book of Demons was one of the most anticipated games, and I love the way it looks, and I would love a Diablo-like, but Book of Demons ain't it.

In short, go download the demo and give it a try.

Define "on rails' exactly please, because that takes my interest from burning hot to deader than ded.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

I guess Dream Daddy was delayed? :colbert:

Thank you bideo james gournalism, for answering this important question.

https://twitter.com/dreamdaddygame/status/885770080948244481

Orv
May 4, 2011
Danger Will Robinson.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hmmm, I might have a Warhammer problem.

My actual problem is that I never uninstall anything but still.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Inquisitor Martyr is getting there, but yeaaaaaaaaah.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Wasn't that an iOS game?

Gerblyn posted:

Nah, this one's like a WH40K ARPG, where you make your own inquisitor and run around stomping on demons. I haven't played it, because I don't really do EA games, and I've heard it's pretty round round the edges, but it looks like it could turn out really good.

That was the video game adaptation of Eisenhorn which was tremendously bad.

Martyr is a "tactical ARPG" by the Van Helsing guys, focusing on cover, giant enemy swarms and a persistent live game after launch, to interest people in continuing to grind and progress, where they'll release a bunch of free DLC with new enemy factions and stuff.

It's super rough now, as they're actually selling an alpha state game for the purposes of feedback and testing, and I cannot in any way recommend that you get it right now. I'll yell at this thread when it comes out and let you know my thoughts, but right now they way it's headed I'm expecting a solid, but not overly remarkable ARPG, a la the VH games.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Insofar there is no dialogue for the main character, but they're holding the SP campaign bits back for launch or immediately before, which is currently for early 2018 or super late this year.

E: There is this trailer, featuring Inquisitor Noeyebrowus, which is probably indicative of the level of camp you should expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQYtbAnRy98

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 21, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

pentyne posted:

If you aren't playing Dawn of War 1/2 then you have a bad games problem.

Played 'em to death.

Digirat posted:

it's that vermintide aint on the list

Super dislike L4D-alikes/horde games.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

That's a shame, because twatting a skaven in the head with a massive gently caress off hammer is kind of the best. Plus the banter between the party members is fun. And the witch hunter voice actor is chewing as much scenery as he can cram into his face.

I wasn't expecting huge things of Vermintide but I had an absolute blast with it.

Yeah, it's not like "gently caress all these things, they suck!", I wish I did like them, but the way they're designed and what I want from them diverge a little too much. I think I've talked about it before but I'll just say this quickly;

First, they're insufficiently random to play as much as most people put time into them (for my brain/tastes.) In the linear ones like L4D and Vermintide, special enemies pretty much always show up in the same place, map/campaign end holdouts pretty much always happen the same way, stuff like that. In the more arena ones like Payday and Killing Floor, the waves are fairly same-y, the ramp up is pretty similar on each map, and spawns can only really be so shifted around because players are often spread out. Compare these to a MOBA or a more traditional PvP shooter, where you can play the same map five hundred times and get completely unique experiences each time, and they don't hold my interest for as long as I'd like.

Secondly, and more importantly, they diverge pretty sharply in design from what I want for a purely co-op game (versus modes in these are terrible), which is just kind of a hangout space that happens to have a game attached. If I'm playing something purely co-op, it's usually because I want to chat and hangout with people whose company I enjoy, just generally bullshitting and having fun. These games all focus more on progression pushing, and when even the basic enemies start to be dangerous enough that you have to really focus and pay attention, I start losing my reason to play them.

Really it's just a perfect storm of not being for me, which is a shame because I did enjoy the Vermintide beta and weekends I've played, but I know I'd run out of interest for it pretty quickly.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, that's all fair enough - to your second point, I've found that Vermintide sidesteps some of this because you can set difficulty levels and because once you get decent equipment the higher levels get easier too. Payday 2 is similar in that on the easier difficulty levels it's just a hilarious murderfest where the players are as gods unto the enemies.

Yeah I got set up quickly enough with some good stuff in PD2 that it looped back into problem 1 and I just burned out really quickly. :smith:

Maybe their WW2 game can solve some of my problems with the whole genre, we'll see.

Orv
May 4, 2011

credburn posted:

Does anyone here remember the name of that game on Steam that was basically a spiritual successor to Myth? I followed it for about a year, since Myth is pretty much my favorite RTS ever, but the last update I saw basically had them changing direction, seeing as that Myth is kind of a niche thing (there are no resources, no magical buffs, no silly inventory items that do poo poo...it was just about utilizing the terrain and weather to make the most out of a terrible situation) and so they decided that they were still going to claim to be a spiritual successor to Myth while abolishing everything that made Myth different. In my opinion, they're shooting both feet with both barrels with this one; if you're selling a game based on a niche franchise, that will reduce the audience size, but then if you're selling a game based on the lie that it is based on a niche franchise, then you're just alienating the few people who were going to buy your drat game, anyway.

Well, that update was like two years ago and I've since then forgotten what it was even called. I don't think it ever entered early access? Oh hell. I know this is not a lot to go on.

But if you can't answer that question, how about this: Wasn't Myth a loving awesome game?

http://www.deadhold.com/ ?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

Is it actually fun to play? The gameplay footage makes it look super clunky and slow.

Kinda, yeah. It's never going to reach the speed and ALL EXPLOSIONS mentality of D3 but my hope is that they can tighten up the style they've got there. It's gotten markedly better over the course of the alpha, so it's still possible, but right now I'd say it's a toss up whether it gets there.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unless they patched it to prevent it, you can land the gyrocopter in most tower tops, it just takes a little finesse and maybe a bit of jank physics ramming.

Also it trivializes the entire game so you might not want to do it too much, but the M79 grenade launcher is usable from the gyrocopter. :kheldragar:

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 21, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

But the game is on computer.

Well after.

It didn't do its intended job very well.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Do they actually have anything other than Far Cry, rear end Creed, A Rayman and some other smaller prosperity stuff to play on Uplay? I thought it was just a Ubisoft only walled garden.

They expanded to have other stuff a while back, but it's mostly indie stuff you can find on Steam anyway.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Maybe someone in here knows, is Planetoid Pioneers Cortex Command but not garbage?

Orv
May 4, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

It's an early access game in all but name. It predates that system but it's the perfect example of an over promised EA scam

Are you sure you're not thinking of Edge of Space? Planetoid Pioneers got Kickstarted last year, I'm pretty sure, and then went into EA.

Orv
May 4, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Is there a new game called Cortex Command now? I didn't know that and if so I have no idea how it is

I guess that was a weird way to phrase it because Proper Noun Proper Noun. There's a game called Planetoid Pioneers which seems like a similarly physics-driven 2D shooter thing, in the vein of Cortex Command, and I was wondering if, unlike Cortex Command, it wasn't garbage.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Awesome! posted:

there are 3 videos on the pyre store page and none of them show gameplay in more then ~2 second clips. is it a fantasy basketball game?

It's a turn-based 3v3 fantasy basketball game by the Bastion and Transistor people.

:shrug:

E: Music is still on point at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uCEe-OhAkU

Orv
May 4, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

For anyone who was thinking about trying Gigantic because it sounds like some sort of weird DOTA/Shadow of the Colossus hybrid, don't bother. It's a straight up generic MOBA, the giant monsters don't do anything except sit in your base and act as turrets. There are some straight up No Man's Sky levels of advertising core features that are nowhere to be seen, but at least it was free. The official site even says verbatim "GIGANTIC IS NOT 5V5, IT’S REALLY 6V6" but umm...

Apparently the dev ran out of funds before release, and the team was so proud of their game that they stuck around and kept working on it for free without pay, because it's allegedly such an amazingly unique game. I don't know if they never got around to developing the unique parts or what but it makes me kind of sad that people would stick around at a job that laid them off and stopped paying them just to finish development of a generic Battleborn clone.

The community seems to be pushing marketing hard on the pity angle of "They didn't even get paid to finish this game! We need to support these guys!" and I don't understand it :shrug:

Boy that's a lot of wrong in one post.

It's not a MOBA except for discrete characters and per match leveling, there's no creeps or lanes or anything like that. Admittedly they advertise it as a "shooter MOBA" or whatever but I think that's mainly because they tried to escape the comparisons early on and just couldn't.

Advertising core features like what? Everything on the Steam page is in the game.

Battleborn clone, when they were announced publicly within days of each other, sure.

Community response I don't know or care about.

Like, look if you don't like the game that's fine, don't put people off trying it themselves with a bunch of bullshit.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 24, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

Best reason not to play gigantic is that garbage perfect world client.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah I can't really argue against that.

E: Unrelated to Gigantic stuff, I just had to do that thing where you unsubscribe from the Steam client beta because my Steam was acting like my PC was out of memory. Woooooooooooo.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 24, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
The day the Steam client died.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

The Dark Souls of online game clients.
uPlay is the Lords of The Fallen of online game clients.

Uplay is pretty much fine now, I'd say you're looking at more of a Desura for that comparison.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I still get trouble with Ubisoft games. They gave The Crew for free last year and I never managed to make it run(One of the tech support suggestions was downgrading your video drivers) and aside from install problems, to properly play Far Cry 4 I had to unplug my controller or it'd give me a black screen.

I still dare not to turn Cloud Saving on since it killed my AC3 progression. I had to play the Connor tutorial again. The tutorial.

So all of the game? :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Awesome! posted:

well now im trying to imagine what liters of semen smell like thanks a lot

It's-a me, Mario!

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's an incel?

Now you've done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Some pretty advanced flu to get that much brain death going.

• Locked thread