Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Alright I'm almost 20% into Strider and it's already my top Metroidvania on Steam, knocking off Guacamelee. The only game I've ever played with sword swinging as fast as Strider's is Ys Origin. Man I love to wail on enemies in this game. And the visuals looked drab in screenshots but it really is a nice looking game. I like that even little hidden rooms and plain corridors have cool design to them. They could've just been featureless "here's a health upgrade" rooms but sometimes it's like a library or an apartment or whatever. It's cool.

I'm enjoying Strider a lot due to it's metroidvanianess but what I find myself wondering is: am I going to be coming back to these earlier areas naturally later with new abilities (I can see areas I can't reach yet) or is each area gone through in a linear fashion w/ the storyline?

i.e. A->B->C->D->E->yay you win game

or A->B->C->B->D->A->E->win game

not looking for spoilers, but it will change how many nooks and crannys I poke through now vs the next time(s) I'm coming through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Sonel posted:

It's mainly linear with some side paths for abilities you'll get later in the game. You'll go back to a certain area with new abilities, but the majority of backtracking you have to just decide to do on your own.

Thanks a bunch!

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Okay so Strider does have some backtracking after all, however it's still in the Metroid Fusion sense where you go back to regions but it's completely new areas in those regions. Every region looks really cool in this game, I just finished the black market area and it's a lil underground city with neon signs and christmas lights.

There's only one major flaw in the game that I've experienced and it's a technical one, which is saving. So you can't manually save, it autosaves for you, but it only autosaves at healing terminals. But the game also has 'checkpoints'. I haven't died in the game yet, so I've gotten burned a couple of times by assuming that the checkpoint meant the game autosaved and decided to take a break, only to come back and realize i lost progress.

I was coming here to post after I got burned by the same thing. I figured it out quickly enough, that the save points are the health refill stations. I think the checkpoints are where you respawn from if you die but has nothing to do with the save file itself.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Davincie posted:

he's right

One thing that's missing on the steam forums is a thread to talk about steam while relaxing and playing games with friends and discussing dynasty warriors 8 extreme.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Here have some games, don't be a jerk and take them all just to increase a number on your steam profile, then never play them, because that makes you a douchebag.

Thief Gold: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=fAfXyFcfTwP5EBBC

Hitman: Codename 47: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=kYSZPPKZ7432CYHH

John Romero's Bitch Simulator 2000: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=efrpWCnz8F6k4rvK

Anachronox: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=BuByPEMKYBEfxPSr

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Delusibeta posted:

Right now, it's only a music player, and I think it’s a bit naff.

Disclaimer: haven't bothered with it after today's update yet, these are pre-today impressions. I also like shuffle, and have a ~2500 song, 350 album library (not bragging, who cares, just giving a sense of scale for my complaints)

It's just a music player usable while running the steam overlay. It's not a music store, you just point it to where your music files are and it crawls through and adds it all, like the itunes player would.

It's missing "shuffle all", you have to load individual songs/albums to playlists. I was not able to discover a way to save playlists and they don't even save between sessions. It always loaded at "A", and using the mousewheel to scroll around (while in big picture mode) wouldn't work right for me

It worked, in that you could choose song(s) and play them but it was quite clunky and tedious to work with in big picture mode, which is the only place it was available before. Apparently the player was supposed to recognize when you were playing or sounds happening in-game and it would auto-pause or lower the volume but I never used it while gaming due to the clunkiness of having to load (and reload every time) playlists, you could only shuffle after loading songs to your playlist and you couldn't add 'all songs' to your playlist either

edit: I will say, that it was kinda cool to pause a game, toss on a song while taking a break without having to leave steam/couch but if I was on my computer there was no way it would replace <playerofchoice>

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 24, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Doesn't getting an everest permit require some sort of questionnaire to the person attempting the summit?

"What are your previous high altitude qualifications?"

"I was standing up when I typed my email address into this box and won."

edit: oh, it's a video submission contest

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 25, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Crabtree posted:

I want to see this actually kill people and Ubisoft to desperately try to not act like they're profiting off someone's life.

I think they're just trying to make it sound like more than it is, you'd be "accompanying" a "team of experts" to go "play farcry 4 on everest" on a "one-of-a-kind gaming device built to withstand the harsh conditions of the himalayas"

so basically a laptop and they probably helicopter you in and you plop your fatbutt down for 10 minutes then get a team of medical professionals to deliver oxygen and doritos to your gullet STAT while you're medivaced to the nearest burger king

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 25, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

I picked up The Room and had a chance to play it and so far it's a really cool game.

You're in a room with a 'puzzlebox/safe' that your goal is to open up. You do this by rotating and looking for various ways to slide, push, pull, move the puzzlebox around. It's all very intricate and logically put together and the movements/physics are crisp and enjoyable to see/'feel' in action.

Even objects you find can be manipulated and moved around (example, a key with a rotatable section to change the shape of the key to fit the keyhole; I found this to be a neat detail of the game that fits well within the setting.

I haven't finished it, am only about ~33% of the way through, but I'm hooked and so far the puzzles seem intuitive to solve, I haven't felt like I have to think like the devs that made the game to solve their puzzles I just have to play around with the box and try stuff and see what happens. So far most of the puzzles have been relatively 'linear' in that one puzzle leads to another one becoming accessible but due to the nature of the game (working your way through puzzles which unlock increasingly interior portions of this puzzle box) it make sense.

There is a hint system that's out of the way but available if you get stuck or need a little nudge in the right direction. Some hints are too vague, but you can get progressively more specific hints if you need them.

Graphics/mouse control are great (turn off lens flare though, it adds nothing to the game and only detracts) and the sound effects so far have been exactly what I would expect them to be as I solve my way into the interior of this puzzle box thing.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Which of the many Worms games is the most fun for local co-op? Would prefer controller support so we can couch it.

edit: Open to suggestions for similar local co-op type games

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Has anyone had any luck installing GTAIV onto Steam using their retail disc copy? I really, really, really don't want to download all 15gigs of the game when they're sitting on discs already, but installing the game and shifting the files to the downloading folder and running the verify files check doesn't seem to do anything, so it's trying to download the entire game instead.

Generally speaking:

-Install fully from disc(s)
-Add game (cd key) to steam
-Install from steam, until the point it begins to download
-Pause download
-Move files from retail location to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv
-Verify integrity of files through steam
-Steam will redownload the missing/changed files to make it the steam version and not retail disc version
-It might look like a full download at first, let it run for a short bit and it should be a few hundred mb worth of files once it gets going

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I'd actually tried doing all of this before posting and none of it had worked. I let it download close to a gigabyte on the last stage just on the off-chance it suddenly jumped ahead but nothing happened. I don't know if it has something to do with the game downloading to a specific downloading folder instead of creating the steamapps/common folder like it usually does, but I'm resigned to just downloading the whole thing now.

Thanks anyway.

I tried googling before I posted and just about everybody ended up in the same situation as you it looks like. I was hoping you'd get it to work.

Sorry :(

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

The Expendabros just sold me on Broforce, whenever it leaves EA. Though it's kind of annoying that every time you save someone your character switches, which can screw you over depending on what you need.

If you're sold on it, buy it. I don't even know why it's in early access anymore the game is pretty much done.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

What's left to finish (Broforce)? I avoid EA as a matter of course.

Mokinokaro posted:

Mostly just more levels and characters. Some of the current modes need some polish too, though.

It's a fair sized game already and the base is solid.

Dominic White posted:

They've got a LOT left to add. They've got a whole new set of environments and alien enemies to add still, and there's a pretty big list of characters they're still working on.

The gameplay itself is mostly worked out at this point, it's just content (tilesets, enemies, levels) that they're developing now.

Mokinokaro and Dominic I agree with your points and I oversimplified mine.

I guess my point is more that unlike most games where Early Access is usually a red flag, I feel that Broforce is already worth it and will not burn you even though it is still in Early Access.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Sivek posted:

Ballpoint Universe Infinite-3K5QK-RD3TB-BIVGG

This one got lurked so thanks on that persons behalf.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Limit bandwidth to:

Thank you for this, I didn't know it was possible. Now I can actually internet while downloading through Steam.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

The new F2p Royal Quest has to have the single most disappointing trailer ever crafted.

It opens on a generic witch doctor figure in game with sliding 2D art of him over the video, like most MMORPGS introduce their classes. Then it cuts to a giant frog man with a machete, then some kind of dryad, a proto-dragon, mushroom beast, card playing robot and it just goes on and on introducing all these fantastic creatures that get me thinking that even if the game sucks it'd still be fun to run around for a bit as some kind of wolverine centaur.

Just past the halfway mark it goes apeshit on the 2D art slides and pulls in the title screen, immediately ushering in arrival of the actual player characters and for the rest of the trailer you get to watch the most dirt-generic Final Fantasy protagonists ham-handedly attack everything you just finished dreaming about playing as.

I read and understood your full post. Then I clicked the store page link and watched the trailer and just like you said, due to the way they present this exactly like player characters are introduced in every other MMO ever, I found myself going 'whoa I can be a slug that moves using it's knife arms? yeah!' only to have the same disappointment at the halfway mark.

Now, I kinda wish there was an MMO where you were a monster with cool monster abilities and fought parties of adventurers in dungeons.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

I've been using the steam beta client for some time and can confirm that SAM.picker.exe runs fine, and properly idles games when I double click them from that list.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Everquest had this briefly but had to get rid of it when people started figuring out ways to grief people even harder than you would imagine with a premise like that.

Haha yeah I remember that, if I remember right you could keep relogging for the monster-play until you ended up as an orc in east commonlands and you were not restricted to any area of the zone so you could hit the north ro tunnel and newbie areas it was awesome.

What I was hoping for would be more that you play as a monster in a PVE MMO. The NPCs would be the 'adventurer parties' and you'd start out having to kill one on one 'adventurers' (NPCs) and by max level the content would be you (and monster friends (player characters)) trying not to die to the raids of adventurers assembled to kill you.

But you'd be the boss(es) with the cool AE abilities and fire breaths and what not!

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Orv posted:

Since this seems to be the "I hope Risen 3 doesn't suck poo poo" station, a Risen 3 English stream. Gradually coming to think this might end up alright.

At ~5:00 he exclaims OH HE IS NOTTT PLEASED while shooting fireballs at a 'giant crab'.

The crab wasn't really visibly doing anything different than it was before he started hitting it with fireballs, except it was very very slowly moving towards him in a vaguely threatening manner. It died before it moved 10 feet.

Then it proceeded to ragdoll flail around it's penis stalks or whatever while the streamer feigned surprise at the next whatever was happening.

I stopped watching at that point.

edit: I randomly clicked to various points in the stream and every fight I witnessed was "fireball fireball fireball (dodge backwards if npc not dead) fireball fireball fireball loot corpse" except for one part where he was duelling a guy with swordplay and when he got hit a few times he resorted back to fireball tactics. Boring.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 10, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

Is it really so easy?

Butt. How??

edit:

quote:

chances of getting a foil is incredibly low.
So what you're saying is open for foils, gotcha

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 12, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

Hey US goon, learn how to use roundabouts properly:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/307740/

No joke, here in the USA yesterday I witnessed a driver come to a complete stop in the middle of a roundabout, put on his blinker to indicate he wanted to turn into oncoming traffic, and follow through on that by driving the wrong direction out of the roundabout, into traffic approaching the roundabout.

That linked software would do nothing for a person like that.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The guidelines for full control support tend to mean you can launch the game without hitting a launcher and can use the controller without configuration. Partial is for cases where there is controller support but you have to enable it. It's a useful identifier for Big Picture Mode, but it's a bit patchy across games iirc.

Example of a game that doesn't give a poo poo and probably puts full controller support icon so they sell more games: Unepic (literally the very first screen of the game requires keyboard input)

Example of a game that takes their obligations seriously: Ys Origin (the only time you ever need mouse/keyboard is if you want to change the config options prior to launching the game, this game is listed as partial controller support but is really full controller support)

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

how me a frog posted:

Is there a way to make the controls of Ring Runner not be red hot garbage with KB&M? It seems like there's a lot of neat ideas there but it's a huge chore to play like this.

I'm giving it a(nother) try later today with a controller because I gave up my first try after 30 minutes for the same reason as you.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Deakul posted:

You're an idiot if you decide to give the devs an extra tip for the amazing work they put out, you heard here first folks.

I don't think that's what he was saying or implying; the DLC game content is fluff and not worth the money.

If you know that going in, and choose to purchase it 'as a tip' that's your choice but doesn't still doesn't make the DLC worth the asking price. The button isn't "add tip to cart"!

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

To be fair, the DLC is really the kickstarter bonuses (or something like that) added so that people who specifically wanted the fluff items because they missed the original window could still get them.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

mr. nobody posted:

I'm giving it (Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages) a(nother) try later today with a controller because I gave up my first try after 30 minutes for the same reason as you.

Result: much better, went through the first couple of tutorial missions without getting angry at the controller controls

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

(edit: My) steam client and steam web processes combined take up under 1% CPU and under 200k memory used so I dunno about your steam

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

computer parts posted:

I don't know about games but electronics in China are horrific. a basic iPhone that costs $650 in the US costs the equivalent of ~$750 over there.

A 15% markup on a physical item is not very horrific compared to the 50-100% markup on a digital download in other countries, which you quoted.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Free games:

Enemy Mind (shoot em up): https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=UudqZSsvw5AzptXb

Two Brothers (non-combat twin-stick adventure puzzler, despite the name, not recommended for two young actual real life brothers): https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=qMdNvPKhV8FDwakC

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Hakarne posted:

So this used to be a Steam game before Microsoft killed GFWL Marketplace so I'll ask here: Does anyone have weapons they would be willing to trade for Fable 3? It seems like the game got a lot of hate and I personally love it. Anyways, I need to trade with someone to get The Swinging Sword and/or Scythe's Warhammer. The community is kind of dead/non-existant so I'm hoping there's a goon somewhere with one or both of these weapons in an old save. Thanks!

After reading and laughing at your post I searched my library for Fable 3 and it turns out I've played it for 19 hours. Now I'm reinstalling it to see what made me play it for 19 hours. If I have either of those weapons I'll let you know. I have no memory of playing this game.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Something I just noticed about, and do not like about Humble Bundle purchases, is that the default split, splits the money amongst all games in the bundle even ones you don't unlock with your purchase.

They do provide a slider where you can adjust your purchase to however you see fit, if you choose to customize rather than use the default split, but I was not happy to see 40% of the developer's split on my (more than 1.00 but less than 6.00) purchase go towards the two games in the 6.00+ tier.

To me that doesn't seem right, to be the default way of doing things.

edit: maybe there is more to it, maybe the 'default' split changes at higher price points, but it surprised me to see 1/5 go to each of the 5 games in the bundle at the 3 game tier

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 26, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

To redeem having to endure my whining, here's a copy of Super Wagon Adventure (Turbo Edition)

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I might if the emboldened Flash linework on everything wasn't repelling me to the very core.

:high5: :hfive: I never get that smilie right dammit

I wasn't super good at Super Meat Boy, but I was pretty good and this game doesn't interest me at all due to the outlines. I had to turn that poo poo off in Borderlands 2, at which point the game became 100% more fun and I put a ton of hours into it.

edit: I hate it because it makes everything look BOLDED like shouting at my eyeballs

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 30, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

BurgerQuest posted:

Any recommendations for games that rock with an Xbox360 controller? Preferably less than 2gig, and not Rayman or Ducktales.

Mark of the Ninja is slightly over your size request limit at 2.58GB but recommended if it interests you.

edit: the Strider reboot is a pretty good platformer/metroidvania but takes up 3.39GB

edit: more controller games that I found fun: Monaco, Full Mojo Rampage (roguelike), Broforce(definitely co-op this one), Battleblock Theater

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 30, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it was like playing a 15 hour episode of the game, and I mean that in the best way possible.

When you get to the 'fart' tutorial, just do whatever you have to to get past it. The actual mechanics are nothing like the tutorial. I don't know what the gently caress is up with that.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Dominic White posted:

For anyone that might have picked it up during the sales, Cloudbuilt just got a major update. No new content, but it's a general gameplay improvement patch. Better framerate, better animations, better controls, better combat, etc.

Thanks, I didn't like the controls, but liked the concept of the game; I will give it another try.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Boody posted:

Just purchased some steam funds via paypal to buy some items from the marketplace to find I can't use the marketplace. I was aware they block access to the marketplace for 7 days when you add a new card but I've been using the same paypal account for steam purchases for at least 5 years. Does this really happen with every paypal purchase and is there anything that can be done other than waiting a week?

For some reason or another your paypal payment triggered automated fraud detection, you'll never know why without contacting customer support, who won't remove the hold and who I suspect will tell you the first part of my sentence and call it a day.

"Steam"

I had to change to a new credit card because my bank sent me a new one due to fraudulent activity and I was not locked out of the marketplace for any period of time after adding funds using that new card.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

aas Bandit posted:

That's the thing though? Even if I "fell for it", I'd click the link, and it would take me to the "change your password" page, and I'd change my password. Okay. What did that accomplish for the dude?

Some future step on the scam site might be:

"To authenticate your password change upload this .ssbn file" (or whatever), then steam guard (via that file) allows them full access to your account because only an authorized computer would have it.

Some variant of that a goon earlier in the thread fell for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Azran posted:

Since I put some cash on Steam, my lovely country is blocking my card's next transaction because using dollars twice in the same day is anti-patriotic or something.

Can anyone help me with the Jumbo bundle over at HB? Looking for the BTA. I'll buy you something equivalent on Steam.
Do you guys have any idea if it's a single key?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Azran/

I got you covered.

I'm already your steam friend 'huffadopolis', I'll send a message with the links now.

FYI it's one link per game, all steam activatable.

• Locked thread