Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

I should note that you have to use the old remote desktop app that is included as a windows feature. The new one in the app store seems to be a complete rewrite so while it has a desirable feature that the old one doesn't (ability to use ctrl + alt + down in remote PC) it also doesn't work for poo poo and lacks multi monitor support

you mean sending ctrl+alt+del via RDP? that's always been possible, the shortcut is ctrl+alt+end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

get a NAS you cowards

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Perplx posted:

Just use https://crontab.guru/ or something, I use cron and have no idea what the syntax is. Also systemd has timers.

same, also i use the same site because it's usually the top result when i google "cron expression"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

isn’t cron some old dogshit now and systemd timers are the thing

idk about that but those chucklefucks at amazon normalised cron expressions as the scheduling syntax for all their poo poo except none of conforms with usual cron syntax and specific services have different syntax.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

President Beep posted:

god drat COMPUTERS!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

having some weird storage issues on win10 (20H2). i've got a number of iSCSI LUNs mounted that i keep all my media on. recently i've noticed that sometimes when doing a number of I/O intensive operations explorer starts acting weirdly.

sometimes it starts hanging when i ask it to do copy/delete files on the volumes. the file delete/copy progress dialog box appears and it just sits there doing nothing. everything else works fine and i can still read/write to the volumes but explorer is cooked and i have to reboot to unfuck it.

yesterday it got into a state where the UI stopped responding so i tried to kill and restart explorer.exe but that didn't work so i had no UI and it wasn't even responding to ctrl+alt+del. i ended up having to do a hard-reset as i couldn't do anything in windows. immediately prior to everything loving up i'd just finished copying ~70GB across to one of the iSCSI volumes.

there's nothing in the event logs that explain what is going on nor are there any crash dumps because it's not actually crashing, just locking up and becoming unresponsive. it's pissing me off i tell you what!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

If there's a specific bundle you'd recommend I'd love to know what it is. Emulating Windows was always a shitshow for me. Everything would do that thing where you'd see tearing just dragging a window.

I also kinda want to get internet working because I want to see if I can get old versions of AOL to work

is the stuff you're trying to run not on GOG? their packaged launchers are solid and will run old stuff on new hardware quite well. also their prices aren't bad at all.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

this is child abuse

dsyp

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hi sniep

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Bridge Over the River AS32934

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hbag posted:

we are supposed to have gigabit download

your modem has a 100Mb port connected to the uplink, that is probably the thing and your ISP hopes you don't notice.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hbag posted:

i mean they shipped us a brand new "superhub" explicitly for this gigabit plan, im pretty sure our old one had 100Mb so if thats what they were doing why would they waste the money sending us a new one

idk what your last mile delivery is but im guessing it's just ethernet which in that case if it isnt connect to a gig port on your router you will be getting hosed. you should be able to lookup the specs of your router to determine the port speed, i doubt it has anything less than 1Gb.

idk how internet happens in the UK but id suspect a downstream media converter because no way they're delivering 1Gb optical to premise.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

echinopsis posted:

it does suck that you need to fork out for the battery pack for rechargeable but once you’ve done that you’ve got an extremely nudes suiting controller

drat i need to get the rechargeable battery pack, burning through AAs like it's no ones business

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

can anyone recommend a good web-based admin thingo for postfix? something that just makes configuring virtual domains, aliases and mailboxes easier than having to edit config files or whatever. i need to setup an internal MTA at work so servers can just shunt e-mails between each other and poo poo, figured it would be easier for my colleagues to support if it had a GUI.

is postfix even the main generally recommended MTA any more?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lmao i knew you'd post that you're so predictable shaggar

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

running your own mail server in 2022 is insane.

posting back on this because of new developments. if you read my post you'd have noticed that i said "internal MTA" so that "servers can just shunt e-mails between each other and poo poo." EXO/M365 is overkill for that poo poo. however the new development is that we are undergoing ACSC IRAP assessment (as i understand it's effectively equivalent to FedRAMP) and as such it'll be easier for us to just spin up a separate dedicated AAD/M365 tenancy for the environment ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

why would one internal server need to send email to another internal server? send email out of the network to humans thru a gateway sure, but to each other?

yeah it wasn't my idea. the requirement came from some greybeard in our team that was talking about emails from systemd (poo poo that normally ends up in /var/spool/whatever) as well as reports from AIDE. we're already putting Beats agents on these boxes so i'll just tell them that if they want e-mails then they can pull them with Filebeat either direct or with the journal module, also AIDE can gently caress-off for the moment i can sort that later.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

iirc the only write-back supported by AADC is for passwords (to support sspr). that said AADC is built on-top of MIM/FIM which is real nightmare fuel (custom transforms and poo poo implemented by pointing it at DLLs, insane black-box hosed poo poo made more insane when going SAP->AD->SAP->AD->Salesforce->SAP->AD).

AADC is good because it doesn't let you do that

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

AADC is really good and solid because it's built on the legacy of FIM/MIM which are really good and solid identity management systems but get super complicated very quickly the moment you integrate another system and/or write your own integration plugins. AADC avoids all that ofc because it only has to deal with AAD and on-prem AD, easy mode.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

earlier this year they tried to make me support some turbo-hosed on-prem FIM/MIM solution which was syncing between 3 AD domains, 4 SAP environments and 2 salesforce environments, allll relying on custom poo poo. i told them to eat poo poo basically.

it's wild FIM/MIM unconstrained is pure hosed but when you lock it own you get AADC which owns.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

AD -> Azure AD -> everyone else via saml/oidc/wsfed w/ SCIM if needed (even tho scim is poo poo)

this is 1000% correct and if anyone says otherwise they work for SAP/IBM/consultants.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

holy poo poo welcome back beep!!!

also im no DBA but a SQL trigger which sends an email sounds crazy :P

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

President Beep posted:

lol. hi, garbo. I’m no dba either but someone had a serious lapse in judgment and gave me admin rights to the instance. mega fail on their part.

that's always how it starts: someone gives you a username+password and it's all downhill from there.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

my QNAP TS-h886 (6x3.5" and 2x2.5") has two M.2 sockets, they prolly have smaller models which also have M.2 sockets

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

how tf do i make it so that the wifi on my laptop doesn't disconnect when i connect the ethernet? ive made sure the auto-disable option isnt enabled in the BIOS and tried some windows connection manager settings but no dice. i just want to be able to configure some network gear without losing my internet access

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Tankakern posted:

windows or linux?

win11. ironically i'd probably be able to easily fix it on linux

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

its probably not disconnecting from the wifi, its just trying to send stuff out the ethernet cause ethernet generally gets a lower automatic interface metric

Set your ethernet interface metric to like 200 and the wifi to 100 and it should keep using the wifi when the ethernet is connected. its probably supposed to be using internet accessibility as part of its automatic interface metric and thats the part thats busted.

nope it actually disconnects from the SSID when i connect the ethernet and then refuses to reconnect to any SSID whilst the ethernet is still connected.

Tankakern posted:

wifi drivers often have builtin support for enabling/disabling cabled ethernet connections when disconnecting/connecting to a wifi

that option doesn't appear for me but there's an equivalent setting in the BIOS that i already disabled with no effect.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

is there a specific reason you need to hook it directly to the computer? cant you either sniff out the auto assigned dhcp or add a subnet or something on your router and then just plug it into the switch? idk

at work my laptop connects to the corp network via wifi. ive got a bunch of fortinet devices that i need to configure which id like to do via their web interface so i want to just hook up via ethernet from my laptop with a static IP on either end. this works fine except for the fact that when i connect the ethernet my wifi disconnects so lose connectivity to the corp network and the internet.

it's just an annoyance really not a showstopper.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah probably. it's a lenovo X1 where the ethernet port comes as a separate cable that you have to plugin to the laptop maybe that's got something to do with it idk. also 802.1x has been broken since i upgraded it to win11 so i can't connect to the corp network via the ethernet either.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Hed posted:

mines an X1 too. I can force click on to WiFi to be on both simultaneously but it will never do that on its own. I’m using the Lenovo thunderbolt 4 dock (garbage) as Ethernet as well.

I could probably script something using netsh if I took the time to learn powershell

i did some more fuckin around today and the issue is that IT have group policy configured so that secondary network connections are blocked when you're connected to the domain network. on top of that windows connection manager preferences ethernet over wifi so if i try to connect the wiif whilst the ethernet is connected it will connect briefly and then disconnect with the "no multiple network connections when on domain network" error.

i ended up just giving up.

Corla Plankun posted:

it looks like usb ethernet adapters are pretty cheap and might get around the issue of weird lenovo drivers being bad.

the X1 comes with a proprietary ethernet adapter that connects via what looks like a 1394 port but isn't. despite the weird port i'm pretty sure it's just USB.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

on the other hand, the laptop on the lenovo is a lot nicer than on the dells we get. so it's tough. it's tough.

i was full-time at one of our customers from last november to june and they had dells. holy shittttt they sucked so fuckin bad! they had alright specs but the construction of them meant they always ran hot af with the fans at 100%. it was so good when i came back head-office and could use the thinkpad again.

also about ~2 years ago before i got the thinkpad they gave me a surface 2 pro lmao. it was so awful but at least it was quieter than the dell...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

my thinkpad runs off of one usb-c cable

it also has a proper ethernet port

same

except no ethernet port

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pre-emptive post for when i inevitably gently caress-up gutting my PC and installing all the parts in a new case that will fit my new graphics card. god i truly loathe doing PC hardware stuff idk how some people enjoy building PCs and poo poo. whenever i go to do anything something goes wrong.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

trip-report: Allah has smiled upon my labours, managed to pull it off without any gently caress-ups! mashallah!

this Corsair 7000D case is super nice

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

Is that how the cpu heat sink is supposed to be installed? I have mine blowing from front to back, worried I hosed up now

e: nm realized we have different noctua coolers

actually thats a good point i may indeed have installed it wrong. i need to check what direction the fan is blowing, ideally it should be sending the hot air up and out the top of the case instead of down directly onto the gfx card lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

has anyone encountered this issue with Plex Media Server before where it randomly pulls down blank movie posters?

it started happening recently, seems to have affected a bunch of films in my library seemingly at random. ive tried reconfiguring the metadata agents, restarting the server and clearing the plugin cache. looking at the console i can see errors like the below being logged but cant find any info on how to fix them:

code:
[Req#2668] Error resizing an image, we don't trust what we cached [/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/PhotoTranscoder/4a/4a83ab1d25f0510a04410321bae7ca4dda27f5ba.jpg]
i tried clearing that PhotoTranscoder cache folder but no luck.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

skimothy milkerson posted:

I got a computer problem! computers exist!!!

ive got no problem with computers existing. rather my issue is that i have to use the fuckin things

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

how did you randomly insert that carriage return

lotta packet loss over the pipes to NZ

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

echinopsis posted:

until about a year ago nz had total internet domination over australia, state laid fibre to every man and his dog. but lately it’s turned a bit poo poo. just inconsistent.

yeah i was just joking around echi. you guys may be further away geographically and not have big CDN POPs like we do but you are correct, your state broadband is way loving better than ours. if only i could turn back time and prevent the coalition from sabotaging the aussie NBN...

echinopsis posted:

hmmmm well my mums pc is hardwired into the modem, do you know if there is a tool could somehow analyse the network over periods of time?

WinMTR can be useful, also iperf if you have a remote server you can run it against.

Mr. Nice! posted:

the ping skyrocketing is packet loss. if you know the ip of the server, you can open up the command prompt and run like a hundred pings to it to see how frequently the loss is happening. a tracert might tell you where in the loop it is happening.

high RTT doesn't equal packet loss. not receiving ICMP echo responses might indicate packet loss when testing with ping.

echi do you have straight FTTP or is it like FTTN where you get VDSL over copper from the node? if it's the latter i'd check your router settings, make sure MTU is set to 1492 and MSS is set to 1452 wherever possible on the WAN side of the router. i've got FTTB and that was a big issue for me when trying to do over like 20Mb/s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

huh i didn't know the badbios guy posted in yospos. small world