Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

q: my windows doesn't want to share files with my linux
a1: windows are bad at sharing files with linuxes, don't use them
a2: linuxes are bad at having files shared with them by windows

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

your problem isn't not having linux

well okay that is your problem but

the solvable part of your problem isn't not having linux, it's android not resolving \\SERVER to 192.420.69.1 cause you don't have a local dns

install a windows dns to resolve local names?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

that's the first thing i said lmao

my job is to say the thing other people already said in different words :justpost:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

renting an s3 glacier and throwing encrypted 7zip files at it every month or six has the advantages of being both cheaper than an adaptec card and being an actual backup medium

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Im pretty sure W10 Workstation would still have soft raid even if it was dropped from Pro?

probably some dynamic disk support yeah

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

other option - get a redundant ups and a server with a few tb of ram and story everything in ram. you would also need a fibre link at home for disaster recovery

no that's where the tape drives come in

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i believe you mean using foobar to experience a 24/384 flac

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the ones that spin anyway, yeah, default windows power settings make them do that after 20 minutes or something like that

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i have a z370 board that refuses to cold boot, so it'll power on, beep, shut down a moment, restart and then it's fine

does this on two different power supplies :iiam:

whatever, it's in the server now so it shouldn't power off

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

pc3000 is not difficult software to use but you don't want the first time to be on a drive you care about

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

are there thousands of notifications in event viewer that list all the times the drive had a seek error that windows remedied without bothering to tell you

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Hell, intentional voltage glitching is a thing. I did my masters thesis on that subject and used voltage glitches to gently caress with RSA encryption.

and they said frying atari 2600 games was bad for us

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

yospos indeed

windows has a spotty history with usb 3 drivers: you said you'd updated windows, but you're certain you have the most recent version of the usb 3 drivers from the vendor's site?

are you willing to :pt: the drive and run another speed test with it formatted in ntfs?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

but it works in macos fine, so the board CAN do usb3, it just chooses not to because win10 is win10 :bang:

that meshes with what i've overheard the techs complaining about

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

a chip that's making GBS threads itself will poo poo itself no matter what os you're running. Got a linux cd?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

CC is an unassigned code that could mean anything

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

edit: i actually just found an old text i sent to a friend, it said "i can't get windows to load unless i have game boost mode on in the BIOS" which was right after i installed the 9700k right after buying it. maybe that is some sort of insight into this thing being defective from the start? i probably wrongly assumed it was a motherboard quirk?

still got the old chip? did your board ship with a bios version that doesn't know what do with a 9700k?

e: also maybe it should be "i can't get windows to load unless i go into the bios and fiddle around a bit before starting the machine", which might be cooling or bad caps, but heat problems are really noisy and you've already replaced the board; since it doesn't say A-BIT on it, it's not likely you got two bad ones in a row

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 7, 2020

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

send that reply to amd and ask them for a break on your next chip in exchange for some taunting

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"your csr's poor english inspired me to do something stupid" might just be the ticket to a new cpu

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

you all are gonna think im loving with youse at this point or something

got the new cpu and motherboard today. immediately booted into windows which i could not do before. it has been running fine all day. clearly the cpu was the issue

however...four of my goddamn hard drives are fried. out of eight.

yeah that's common, a fucky 5v rail is going to kill everything on it and things with moving parts, like dc motors, are first up against the wall

quote:

the four of them that fried were next to each other in the case. the four top drives. the bottom four drives survived.

the only thing i can think of is that my old lovely psu fried them OR the brand new psu did which actually makes more sense to me because they were working when all this poo poo went down.

could me using those SATA y adapters have done it? here is the one i used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IBA3XCW

sure, especially if it wasn't pushed in the whole way, or if something was loose. more parts, more points of failure

four drives physically close together failing together might suggest heat but a power problem sounds much more likely, given the backstory

quote:

do one of the sata lines operate at different voltages than the other sata line does or something? i don't recall ever having to worry about that before.

it shouldn't

quote:

btw the drives simply don't power up. there are no clicks of death or anything. i tried a different psu and an externally powered enclosure and all four have the same issue. they simply don't receive power any more. like the pcb board is fried or something. is it even remotely feasible for me to get these drives to power up ever again or am i looking at $1,000+ per drive data recovery? :(

you've got four others just like them so in theory a board swap could work, or it could confuse the hell out of the poor thing. the only times i've seen board swaps done was with some pc3000 wizardry alongside, but it's been a long time since i've played with either tool so :shrug:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

imma be honest i've never actually bought ram based on the mobo makers lists lol

same, i haven't seen problems with dimm compatibility since single-sided sticks hosed up all those people with pentium 3s

if you're running some insano timings or overvolting or whatever then that stuff starts mattering but at sane timings (sub-3600 let's say), "defective" is a way safer bet than "incompatible"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

a health checker or whatever isn't a data recovery attempt; don't do that to a failed/failing drive please :ohdear:

data recovery software that saves its info elsewhere is what you want, in a pinch dd's fine, i like ntfs phoenix (when i can't use deepspar, anyway), other people have their own preferred doodads

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the saga of mr wamber

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Yup. I know NTFS Phoenix (q.v.) is smart enough to read a drive without a letter, it's saved my rear end a few times now.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Helianthus Annuus posted:

maybe a windows-head can get in here and show us the way

this was always more gromit's thing, i merely dabble

getdataback and phoenix both work fine and may be worth what you pay for them, with the usual caveats that apply to consumer-grade data recovery programs . Corrupted files are just part of the gig; if the data's damaged then there's nothing anyone can do. "all my poo poo in the same place" is an annoying habit of ancient programs and there's no good reason why a modern program would act like this

nothing in the DLG kit will help you recover files; if anything, it'll make your problem worse by overwriting pieces of files that could be turned into useful data by actual Data Recovery Software

oh, and on the topic of easeus, they will spam the everliving poo poo out of you forever and ever, and its backup software wants system-jesus-level access for reasons i only sort of understand, but the software otherwise does what it said it would and the tech support is very responsive

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i legit googled NTFS phoenix and NTFS Phoenix QV but nothing is coming up.

is it PhoenixOS?

"(q.v.)" stands for quod vide; it's latin for "i mentioned this elsewhere, look it up", but that won't help you here because apparently phoenix is dead and the copy i got in 2012 won't help you. Sorry about that!

getdataback is still being actively developed

I can't speak to the usefulness of the easeus recoverry tool but I'd prefer not to buy their program if another less creepy one exists

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i wouldn't be at all surprised to learn a zipped rom that's malformed just-so is confusing the windows zip handler into pissing in its hair

a client of mine had a perfectly innocent rar file that hardlocked my data auditing software, which admittedly isn't a great feat because that program is loving garbage but it was still cool to see how it worked

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

chkdsk prioritizes getting the filesystem running again, and will gleefully erase all of your unrecovered files in the process

i wouldn't expect much more out of the version that runs from within windows, but i say this knowing nothing about it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

you'll shoot your i/o bus out kid

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

if the fuse failed and the rest of the drive lived, i'd call that a good fuse :)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

all ost readers look shady as gently caress, that's just par for the course; if you're without Acutal Forensic Software then that's still you best option

throw it in a VM with no network connectivity and let your data flow the spout

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

never agree to make old people happy with their computers for any amount of money, especially if those people do any job referred to as "practice"

for serious though, clicking drive that won't talk to you and has info locked in a weird format is a good reason to pay a grand or three to a data recovery company; they're way faster and more competent and if things couldn't be recovered they'll probably explain why. your time and sanity have value too

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

hello thread, i have a computer problem

on any browser on this windows 10 computer only, trying to get to some websites makes me wait all day for a TLS handshake with some akamaized.net internet place

other win10 and linux computers on the local network do not have this problem, so it's not my isp; and chome, firefox and both edges all do it on this machine, so it's not a browser setting

how did i break my computer?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

is it the system clock? wrong time zone?

good thought

both clock and time zone are set to sync automatically, and they are correct

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

a very strong possibility, yeah

quote:

or is trying to use their own dns?

i switched dns servers from opendns to cira, problem persists

quote:

i think norton and mcafee do that sort of thing

i would definitely deserve hell for installing either

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

maybe you should see if you can reproduce the problem with curl, then give it -v until it tells you whats wrong

https://pastebin.com/yGsrSbLr

yes, very interesting

it's me, i'm the non-linux user who is very lost

e: i thought i was a good negotiator

quote:

E:\Inbox>curl -L -i -v us.shop.battle.net/en-us --verbose
* Trying 137.221.106.102:80...
* Connected to us.shop.battle.net (137.221.106.102) port 80 (#0)
> GET /en-us HTTP/1.1
> Host: us.shop.battle.net
> User-Agent: curl/7.71.1
> Accept: */*
>
* Mark bundle as not supporting multiuse
< HTTP/1.1 302 302
HTTP/1.1 302 302
< Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 15:59:48 GMT
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 15:59:48 GMT
< Server: Apache
Server: Apache
< Retry-After: 600
Retry-After: 600
< Set-Cookie: login.cookies=1; Domain=battle.net; Path=/
Set-Cookie: login.cookies=1; Domain=battle.net; Path=/
< Location: https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us
< Content-Length: 0
Content-Length: 0

<
* Connection #0 to host us.shop.battle.net left intact
* Issue another request to this URL: 'https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us'
* Trying 137.221.106.102:443...
* Connected to us.shop.battle.net (137.221.106.102) port 443 (#1)
* ALPN, offering h2
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
* CAfile: E:\Inbox\curl-ca-bundle.crt
CApath: none
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Server hello (2):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Certificate (11):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server key exchange (12):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server finished (14):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client key exchange (16):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS change cipher, Change cipher spec (1):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* SSL connection using TLSv1.2 / ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384
* ALPN, server did not agree to a protocol
* Server certificate:
* subject: businessCategory=Private Organization; jurisdictionC=US; jurisdictionST=Delaware; serialNumber=3876899; C=US; ST=California; L=Irvine; O=Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.; CN=shop.battle.net
* start date: Sep 5 00:00:00 2018 GMT
* expire date: Nov 4 12:00:00 2020 GMT
* subjectAltName: host "us.shop.battle.net" matched cert's "us.shop.battle.net"
* issuer: C=US; O=DigiCert Inc; OU=www.digicert.com; CN=DigiCert SHA2 Extended Validation Server CA
* SSL certificate verify ok.
> GET /en-us HTTP/1.1
> Host: us.shop.battle.net
> User-Agent: curl/7.71.1
> Accept: */*

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 1, 2020

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

All the stuff that came with curl got unzipped in the garbage barn directory where downloads go but yeah, why does it have its own certificates

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

hang on tho, so you still had a problem with slow https when using curl, even though its using a totally different set of libs and certs from your browser??

or did it work at the usual speed?

with the curl command you suggested I get the same instant response from both a known-good pc and this one:

code:
20:30:56.312000 <
20:30:56.328000 * Connection #0 to host bnetshopus.akamaized.net left intact
20:30:56.328000 * Issue another request to this URL: 'https://us.shop.battle.net/'
20:30:56.406000 *   Trying 137.221.106.102...
20:30:56.406000 * TCP_NODELAY set
20:30:56.484000 * Connected to us.shop.battle.net (137.221.106.102) port 443 (#1)
20:30:56.500000 * schannel: SSL/TLS connection with us.shop.battle.net port 443 (step 1/3)
20:30:56.500000 * schannel: checking server certificate revocation
20:30:56.515000 * schannel: sending initial handshake data: sending 189 bytes...
20:30:56.531000 * schannel: sent initial handshake data: sent 189 bytes
20:30:56.531000 * schannel: SSL/TLS connection with us.shop.battle.net port 443 (step 2/3)
20:30:56.531000 * schannel: failed to receive handshake, need more data
20:30:56.609000 * schannel: SSL/TLS connection with us.shop.battle.net port 443 (step 2/3)
20:30:56.609000 * schannel: encrypted data got 3612
20:30:56.625000 * schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 3612 length 4096
20:30:56.750000 * schannel: sending next handshake data: sending 126 bytes...
20:30:56.843000 * schannel: SSL/TLS connection with us.shop.battle.net port 443 (step 2/3)
20:30:56.843000 * schannel: encrypted data got 274
20:30:56.859000 * schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 274 length 4096
20:30:56.859000 * schannel: SSL/TLS handshake complete
20:30:56.875000 * schannel: SSL/TLS connection with us.shop.battle.net port 443 (step 3/3)
20:30:56.875000 * schannel: stored credential handle in session cache
20:30:56.890000 > GET / HTTP/1.1
20:30:56.890000 > Host: us.shop.battle.net
20:30:56.890000 > User-Agent: curl/7.55.1
20:30:56.890000 > Accept: */*

(and so on into some javascript and more encrypted chatter)
in a browser here, i get "performing a tls handshake to bnetshopus.akamaized.net" and after about five minutes of waiting i get some bastardized version of the site that reminds me of what it was like to see the modern internet in 2003 with netscape 4.0

in a browser on a known-good pc, typing bnetshopus.akamaized.net redirects me to a fully-functional bnet shop

I tried comparing the certificate stores on both machines and it seems each computer has ones the other doesn't -- and windows helpfully warns me that any changes i try to make will be cheerfully reverted

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 4, 2020

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

yikes that stuff is like, a meg a second

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

sudo ufw default deny
sudo ufw deny 23
sudo ufw deny http
sudo ufw start
s...hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

echinopsis posted:

programs might get mad when they m’alloc and the operating system comes back with “um we’re just friends”