Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just in case anyone is wondering this game is real loving poo poo and you shouldn't play it.

I'm also I'm pretty sure the OP was an honest to goodness SimCity 2013 defender. Should tell you everything you need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cowcaster posted:

You know I was actually wondering whatever happened to this tire fire recently. Glad to see that massive strides have been taken to bolster its reputation.

Cowcaster, once you stood up and did the right thing for the Mechwarrior Online thread.

Show us that you are still the mod you once were. You know what to do.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

oswald ownenstein posted:

It would be nice to have a good MW game that has a campaign and all that but the goons here are inflating how much of a turd it is.

Did goons inflate how much a turd SimCity 5 is? You defended that one too.

World class OP showing us the light that is PGI's vision.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mercury_Storm posted:

The definite sign of a dying MMO is when the controlling company adds in tons of expensive and noncompetitive cash shop bullshit. If you ever played and liked Anarchy Online, take a look at the burning trash pile that Funcom has turned that into now. Maybe write up a will and draft a good suicide note in advance.

Gold plate your mechs for low low price of only five hundred real American dollars. Watch out the friendly fire though!

Did they add anymore cash shop bullshit since then? The gold plate fiasco was the last time I was in on the loop of Mechwarrior hijinks.

Holy poo poo dude :fuckoff: If you don't like the thread vote 1 and move on.

Sorry dude but if you make a habit of recommending/defending games that everyone hates you're going to get friction. SimCity 5 and MWO are basically as close as you can get to universally reviled games. Maybe you should stop being "the guy" who defends lovely games beyond reason?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

people can make their own choice

They already did. You claim not to not know what happened to the old thread but I'm skeptical of that.

To refresh your memory; the thread and the game were both so lovely, and it's defenders so delusional that the thread was moved to GBS and given the greenlight for poo poo posting. The thread lived out the rest of its miserable existence there and we've been MWO free ever since. "The people" of SA have already made their choice.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ignimbrite posted:

I remember being excited when I got into the (early) closed beta for this and then... it just got worse and worse :(

Come now, I know the game was so bad the thread got exiled to GBS in disgrace, but look! We made a new thread! Surely we wouldn't have done that if the game hadn't undergone serious improvement?

Right?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Grondoth posted:

We won't get a real mechwarrior game ever again will we.

Well Microsoft (or whoever the gently caress) did a great thing and gave PGI the exclusive use of the Mechwarrior license until like 2018 I think?

Cross your fingers for Mechwarrior Online 2. I'm sure they'll have learned a lot by then! Maybe they'll even put community warfare in it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

drgnvale posted:

I remember they killed the wol bird's nest jabber room while I was on vacation, but I don't know how to jabber with wol people anymore. I don't want to dig up my goonfleet.com login info, could someone just tell me where the jabber room went?

There isn't one. The goon population for this game is named "oswald ownenstein" and WoL is long disbanded. You can't find it because it doesn't exist.

It's F2P. Unless you spend money on it you really can't lose out on anything but time. Something goons have in mass quantity. :smug:

"Play this terrible game because you won't be wasting any money, just time!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

drgnvale posted:

Well, the bird's nest lived on long after everyone quit MWO. There was warthunder and payday 2 chat all day every day. I was hoping there would be Elite chat too.

I mean the goon jabber is still there as always. You can hop in and chat with people about a lot of games, just not MWO because it's a pile of poo poo that nobody plays.

If you need the basic jabber info then find the thread in the Private Game Servers subforum (it's not supposed to be linked publicly). It's called [CTS] Camping the Stairs

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 24, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

But I am playing this game because ugh I love MechWarrior and it's still fun and I have disposable income.

Yes PGI are greedy as gently caress and it's a game for older dudes who love Battletech and have some disposable income to throw around

Yeah, it was an absolute cash grab for the diehards that would spend $50 on clan mechs. I have plenty of disposable income

Hey guys I think OP is trying to tell us something!

If you don't like MWO you're probably a disgruntled poor. Maybe if you had some money you could enjoy great games like this. Get a job!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tracula posted:

You seem to have some outright obsession about the OP.

You're right, too much focus on Mr Ownenstein. Let's see what wider world thinks about Mechwarrior Online instead!

When Forbes.com writes about your outrageous pricing model I think something might be wrong!

Even the "baseline score is 80%" gaming media says PGI is a developer you can't trust. (from Gamefront)

Ouch.

Even Star Citizen fans are wary of MWO. That's right, even the folks who believe Chris Roberts is a visionary developer realize how terrible MWO and PGI are.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 24, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Iridium posted:

Is that... ok seriously, I haven't checked into this in anyway in like a year and a half now. But is that still not out?

Holy gently caress.

Funny you should mention it! About two months ago Russ "load of bullocks" Bullock held on AMA on reddit and that question came up!

Community Warfare totally coming this fall guys! As you can see the community totally supports them.

PGI is just too swamped making mechs to get on those maps. But they'll think about it, promise! More overwhelming community support follows.

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
By the way, in case any was hoping for a new Mechwarrior game...

Hope you can wait for the license to expire. Thanks Microsoft!

(Petition didn't work. As it turns out Obama isn't in the business of personally revoking commercial franchise licenses.)

BTW, this game is a hell of a lot better than the flaming turd that was Tribes : Ascend. Maybe that should be the new thread title :smug:

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 24, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

YouTuber posted:

Wow I legit was just thinking about Mechwarrior today and remembered I played this game for like 4 matches during the beta. I come and find this thread and I'm glad I did. Time to slip out the side door quickly if this game is so poo poo the first 3 pages are uniformly people ranting about how poo poo it is.

A wise decision by a discerning goon.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Interviews with Mr. Bullock

Sept 2013: We're really excited about this new feature in the works!

May 2014: gently caress it, we gave up.

:pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I don't know enough about ghost heat to mock it

You seemed to know enough before...

I mean ghost heat is lame but they did it for a pretty understandable reason. It's just not a very good solution to the problem they were trying to solve.

It was brought in to nerf poptarting which is when people hide behind ridges and jump jet up to take an alpha strike (all weapons at once) shot and then pop back down.

There is a warning in the Mechlab when you hit a certain amount of weapons (lasers, at least) that you will generate more heat than normal if you fire more than 6.

You can play around it by putting those lasers in different weapon groups (3 in one, 4 in another, w/e) and shooting them like that one after another.

Oswald if you have sudden onset amnesia you should see a doctor.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I'll happily put that all in the second page as an example of how lovely PGI has been. Call it history - like learning about how bad Stalin was. But you have to collect it all and PM me

You have it all quoted right there, what do you need a PM for? Do you know how to use the forum? Just paste it.

Chronojam posted:

shit_that_didnt_happen.txt

They had a whole big interview on community warfare features in 2011 (lol).

Funny guys these mechwarriors!

EDIT: Bonus questoin for Paul Inouye, master game designer...

quote:

ZAM: For our final question, what about players who just want to see the world burn? By that, I mean that, given MechWarrior Online's big focus on team play and communication, are there any systems in place to prevent some players from simply disrupting games or taking bribes from the other team to "throw" a match?

Paul: Well there are two systems in place to make sure this kind of stuff doesn't happen. The first system addresses the second part of your question (yeah, I like to switch it up like that). We have taken all steps necessary to prevent "gold farming" in MechWarrior Online. This includes the fact that players will not be able to share currency with each other, so being paid off isn't going to happen.

Gold farming prevented! Oh wait you can just chain join games and AFK every single one of them and because you get C-Bills even if you lose and do literally nothing the entire match. Fine job there Paul!

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 24, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Drone_Fragger posted:

Should I get back into this or is my 3 x SRM6 centurian and 8 large laser stalker boat now useless garbage for idiots?

This is a question that has longed plagued the community...

I think people are having trouble with it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
http://www.mwomercs.com/theplan

Lots of laughs here! This is the developers official tracking of their progress.

Community warfare is 71% done? How can that be...

lol. Ok how about them maps PGI?

I'm dying.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 24, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oswald can we get a percentage estimate of your progress in posting Chronjam's material like you said? I suggest the following metric...

0% - nothing done (default)

50% - copy button pressed (end of August?)

100% - paste button pressed (Q1 2015?)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Orv posted:

Chomp, how much money did you give PGI when they were doing Founders? I have a suspicion it may be revelatory.

$0 during Founders, and $0 at any other time as well. I never paid any money for MWO in any way. Thank goodness!

I have in my entire life spent a grand total of $25 on F2P games, and that's split between three different titles. They usually just aren't worth it.

EDIT: Realized I could prove it...

No transaction history.

Joined after closed beta/early whatever concluded. No founder title or anything.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 25, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

koolkal posted:

I'll also point out that the 2 bottom graphs don't even have the right math even though it's a spreadsheet because they seem to be terrible at everything.

Sums it all up, really.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bubbacub posted:

They added cockpit shake during jumping which was good, but people complained about motion sickness. (lol)

My favorite hilarious thing about jumping is the voice that warns you about your fuel levels. In classic PGI fashion it's totally useless. The voice will warn you that you have 25% fuel left, and again when you're at 0%. But going from 25% to empty takes like a second on your average mech, while the warning takes 2-3 seconds to play. So you will be totally empty before the 25% warning even finishes playing. And of course it's the classic poo poo-designed message where the only pertinent word in the whole sentence is at the very end ("WARNING... Fuel level at... 25%).

I just love that PGI fucks up even the little details.

If anyone wants to submit their name I'll add. So far mine is the only one up there.

:stare:

Don't worry oswald. You've always lived in your own little world, I'm sure you can play in it too.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Some classic bullocks from Russ Bullock before I go to work...

Everyone really loves those things you guys hate! That 3rd person cam, such accessibility! And we made a new end of game screen or something? HUGE STRIDES GUYS.

Oh man, schedules are hard fellas. That UI 2.0 (that everyone hated) just took up so much time. Wow, that was a lot of time that took. Sorry we couldn't work on anything else, we just had to get that great UI 2.0 going!

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kewpuh posted:

Give this poo poo a rest. You're annoying ME at this point and I don't even read this thread or give a poo poo about this game

Sir, yes sir! I'll just have to stick to making fun of the game instead. Shouldn't be too great of a challenge.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BadOptics posted:

Why the gently caress is there another MWO thread? Didn't we bring this game to rest 6+ months ago?

We're getting back together so we can all play Community Warfare together! It's right around the corner you know. Can't wait!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Eatpants posted:

Edit: mumble info

Hey bozo, don't post that poo poo here. Right in the OP of the CTS thread it says...

quote:

You may give this out to members of your groups that you play games with, just don't post it publicly.

This thread is public, that's why the info is hidden away in the private games section.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
But my table top values!

*is lead designer, ruins game*

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shala posted:

You forgot to mention in your OP that if you play at any time (even if you just log in for 1 minute) they count you as a player retained for the next 30 days (or more).

I wonder if the website counts for this. I logged in there to prove I hadn't spent any money, and I now a retained MechWarrior Online player?

Because that would be funny.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chronojam posted:

One of the fun new UI 2.0 features was claiming people were actually playing if they had logged into the forums recently.

Ahaha, classic lovely developer tactic. Artificially inflate your player count to make it seem like more people play your lovely game than really are.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

pixelbaron posted:

Whatever conclusion you come to, the fact remains that Microsoft is happy enough with what they are doing to give them the license until the end of time.

Are you dying of cancer? Because that's the only way they have it until the "end of time". They have provisional exclusivity until 2016 at which point Microsoft can decide to extend it if they're still happy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok, but the issue here is exclusivity. I don't think anyone expect Microsoft to actually revoke the Mechwarrior license from PGI (although they would in a just and caring world), but that doesn't mean they have to grant them exclusivity. When 2016 comes around Microsoft can easily decide to start selling license access to other game makers as well.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

pixelbaron posted:

THE END OF TIME

Woe is me.

And you. And everyone who isn't an rear end in a top hat.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ice Fist posted:

That said, if this game gets good at some point (hahahahahahaha) someone chase me down and let me know.

Community warfare is right around the corner, it's gonna be great! You better spend $200 on internet autism chariots right now to get ready!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They got slowed down by all you bad froggers founders demanding refunds.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chronojam posted:

It turns out the programming assets were busy implementing ghost heat.

MWO.txt and/or thread title.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Rufus posted:

Yeah they have been putting nice little touches in the game like the option to auto reload consumables and stuff but.. the game is still the same boring team deathmatch with no meaningful point or content.

The game needs CONTENT. Grinding new poo poo isn't content.

Why make content when retards will shell out cash for new mechs over and over again?

BattleMaster posted:

I realize it's a lot of work, but it would be very nice if they put out maps at a much faster rate.

Coming right up supposedly!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Haha, see it's funny because they're working on CW so hard that it would be ~crazy~ to put something ahead of it! (except $500 gold skins)

Balancing is for chumps. We encourage the use of underpowered light mechs through "carrots" such as

No one in the universe believes they would ever do this.

rear end-Haggis posted:

If we're still doing this, shoot me a PM or add me on steam (by the same name) so we can think about robutts and being Mech Romneys again. Otherwise, it's just a sense of melancholy and I want to sleep more.

If by "we" you mean "Word of Lowtax" then no. The group disbanded a long time ago because why would they stick for this piece of poo poo game? If you absolutely must perform the "come back --> instantly regret it" ritual there are two or three lost souls wandering this thread complaining about no one to play with.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 30, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That would involve wasting the bandwidth to update/reinstall the game and also to actually log in, making me another one of their "retained" players.

I was about to say that wouldn't be an issue because you'd be banned, and therefore couldn't possibly count as retained...

But then I realized that knowing PGI you'd probably be both. :pgi:

Vorenus posted:

That's actually the reason they told me to gently caress off a year ago, because they refunded me, I waited a year and thought "Oh hey maybe they're doing better right" and bought $250 worth of MC in 3 months...

...Again, on one hand it's kind of a "lesson learned" deal, on the other hand I'll gladly dowhatever I can to put these guys $250 closer to living in a cardboard box under a bridge in downtown shithole Vancouver with AIDS for the rest of their miserable lives.

Even I don't know what to say to this. Jesus Christ man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chronojam posted:

This PGI representative explained that, actually, it's impossible to balance short-range versus long-range weapons in any videogame.

This really explains a hell of a lot.

Also...

• Locked thread