Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Voyager I posted:

How do these people have so little self awareness? How can you produce nothing but poo poo for your entire career and then get surprised when people have trepidations about kickstarting your new IP in a genre you've never worked in that competes directly with several established brands?

They're idiots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

Hey if there's someone from the dev team in here I got a solution for all your balance woes: It's called MWLL. Play. Look at their weapons. Copy as much as possible, because those guys knew how to make every BT weapon flavorful, balanced and distinctive.

It's been said before but I'll say it again, those guys knew what they were doing. Such a great mod.

As for the engine decoupling: surely you're not serious. What reasoning do you have to support making every mech turn equally regardless of engine size?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

OptimusWang posted:

I run a similar 3F with 2x LL instead of 4x ML for hitting stuff at range. It's not as good of a brawler, but you're not useless the first 5 minutes of the match either.

I used to run around with a bunch of steak srms, 2 large lasers and a few medium lasers when I played.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
I had fun over the weekend/yesterday playing with you guys. Hopefully no one minded listening to me talk endlessly about my dire wolf builds. This game is extremely frustrating in the sense that it's so close to being good. Better balance, a actual sensible UI and some form of real community warfare and it'd be much more fun. As in most games though, it's playing with you guys that makes it entertaining. Thank you.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Remove 12v12 (and 3x4) and simply have, like, a 400-ton limit on each side.

Want to bring 4 Daishis? Sure thing, your 4-man team is up against those 8 50-tonners! Or maybe your 4 mechs are fighting 10 Ravens and a pair of Commandos!

Optionally weight Clan mechs heavier to account for their bullshitness? Maybe a Daishi counts as 120 tons? gently caress if I know, I came up with this in 2 minutes.

PGI hire me.

No please don't. The bolded section is pretty much why we keep having huge balance swings.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

WarLocke posted:

With Rewards 2.0(tm) and income generally kind of shittily nerfed I am seriously thinking about buying a light, throwing TAG and NARC on it, then just playing Conquest. Run around capping points, NARC dudes, TAG them and basically try to farm money without actually doing much myself.

Yea you should actually do this to make money now fyi. A smart ECM light with tag/narc can make a ridiculous amount of c-bills. Working as intended or something I guess.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Two Beans posted:

Clanners need to batchall their poo poo, and earn bonuses for bidding as low as possible.

That would be entertaining as hell. Too bad it's never going to happen, in part because no one should trust PGI to implement that correctly.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Plek posted:

Having forward-facing active sensors is totally fine and a I think it was implemented well enough. What they need is a second set of sensors that scans in a (smallish) circle around your mech.

Thus the module that does exactly that.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Lemming posted:

If I recall correctly the current light speed limits were put in place largely because their netcode couldn't handle lights moving so fast so they would teleport around and be virtually unhittable. Unless they've significantly improved this aspect of the netcode, they are probably technically unable to allow lights to go much faster.

Edit: whoops old and already covered

I wouldn't mind this if they put in collision and knocking down lights again. That was pretty awesome :getin:

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Yeah that's what I said. Best c-bill grinding mech is the cash money Mad Cat.

Or possibly Daishi if you like being a big slow gunbag.

I swear you're terrible at context. He wants a good grinding mech you can buy with MC already on the account. Honestly my recommendation is the Timberwolf - sadly they don't have hero variants so you're rather stuck at the moment. Great move speed, nice weapons layout, and something that I'm aiming to grab. Best mech for grinding c-bills might be a light with ecm and a tag laser in a lrm heavy team though.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

WarLocke posted:

I didn't say it was the best grinder you could buy with MC, I said it was the best grinder.

And you say I'm bad at context?

Yes, clearly.

Iron Tusk posted:

Right but he said he's spending his founders MC not realbux.

I should stop now before this turns into sperging in the same vein as last night when I mentioned that giving useless quirks on some mechs detracts from their value at the start of a match and someone started talking about how that's completely false. Goons. Goons never change.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

Is the Misery worth that price tag if it would also allow me to elite stalkers which is a thing I've never done because I largely hate playing assaults, or should I just pay the cbills and grind out a stalker someday down the road?

A cash cow hero mech would be nice (I have an Oxide it ain't exactly lucrative) but I dunno if any of those really intrigue me.

Do you like spending real dollars on mechs in general? I'd personally consider it since I enjoy assaults - likely due to brain damage or something - but considering you don't I would recommend against it. I have the misery, it's not as good in my view as the 3F.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, that was pretty awkward last night, you should chill out about robots.

Sadly not only am I likely brain damaged, but I'm also rarely chill about robots. After all, they're very serious business.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

various cheeses posted:

They should do this so people can do a legit death from above.

I would love that to bits. Think of the how great it would be to see a highlander knocking out a stalker, or a spider crawling all over an atlas. So good.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Kazvall posted:

This halloween challenge is loving good poo poo.

Great now I'm going to spend another weekend shooting at robits with other, larger robits. What have you done PGI, are you trying to make this game appealing again or something?

Stalkerr posted:

I'm grinding for a 4X this weekend so I can be a glass cannon next weekend and kill all the things. Anyone else?
4x? I'm grinding for a timberwolf when they come out in a week or so. I need to have something to contribute asides from terrible heavy mechs and poor piloting skills.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Clearly this is his inner bird:

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

various cheeses posted:

What are these from?

The Mincing Mockingbird - "Guide to Troubled Birds"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...VGTLNSC72HRCWVG

e: it perfectly suites goons who play mwo

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Two Beans posted:

Rushing, right? Us?

Yes, also the top. So top right I guess?

Trip report: goon loving is the best, especially a 12-0 wipe

e2: in particular when you kill two goons during the game.

e3: fyi Phorashi I've gotten the halloween lights, twice.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 2, 2014

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

novaSphere posted:

This was a neat event, if only because it's basically a slot machine for playing. I played 126 (!) games this weekend and got a single mech bay. In addition, I got 1 day of premium, 5 tricks, 18 consumables, 18 MC prizes, 29 C-Bill prizes, and 34 games where I failed to qualify because I'm a solo-dropping idiot.

The MC was enough to buy an additional two bays. I didn't get a single cockpit item. :(

I'm rather surprised that I managed to play 101 games over the weekend. 3 days premium time, 6 tricks, 4 cockpit items (2 of each kind), just over 2.6 million c-bills, 4,200 GXP, and 625 MC. 20 non qualifying games, mostly due to playing assaults almost exclusively and dying fast when out of position. Great weekend event, frankly I'm surprised PGI came up with it (no offense #19)

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

WarLocke posted:

When they reset faction affiliation WoL is totally going to switch to Smoke Jaguar

1) We get to annoy those SJR drama queens
C) Goons love their Clan mechs

I prefer House Liao, if only because friends I occasionally play this game with hate them with a passion so I get to lightly troll them every time we play together. Plus, gently caress clanners.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
I always assumed the salvage bonus was for whatever parts of your mech that are left over at the end of the match. Clearly I need to conduct some experiments for :science:

E: or I could just google for the answer instead - according to a few places it's 2% of whatever's left of your enemy's mechs at the end of the match. Welp.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

WebDO posted:

Fil5000 I retract my prior statement about this thread and diagnosable psychiatric conditions

I just assumed the sarcasm flew over his head, but yea that's probably right.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

WarLocke posted:

I just got out of a pub match with a Boar's Head who had exactly 6 Medium Lasers as his sole armament, and did not engage the other team until everyone else on ours was dead. :cripes:

Trial of the fatlas.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Also why are all the Atlases basically the same (and the =k comes with an XL) :negative:

Clearly that's not the case - the DDC comes with ECM so it's superior in every way to the others.
e: I'm rather amused that my current atlas builds all use all of the quirks in that spreadsheet, including the SRM-4 on the -S variant.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Well, okay, but I still need a third chassis to master it (-D-DC, -S, ???) and I was kind of hoping to not have the same AC20/SRM loadout on all of them because I'm apparently weird that way.

ABB (Always be Brawling), grab an Atlas-D
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=16&l=19d9466aef57a401cb8f0620925a26aa6902a800

E: actually if you want to try something different do a LRM D-DC and hang back to avoid getting killed.
AS7-D-DC

Baudin fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 4, 2014

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Kazvall posted:

On my D-DC it's not uncommon to run out of ammo with 28 alphas for missiles. I'll test it out and see. 20 alphas just feels a bit low.

You do last a long time generally in that D-DC though - most goons die before the end of the match (such as myself), lowering the number of missiles they get to shoot :v:

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Kazvall posted:

I have my fair share of lovely rounds just occasionally I'll have a magical round where all my ammo mattered and it makes up for it.

I guess so. I had a wonderful moment last night where I managed to shoot every last bullet I had in my mech at the last guy on the enemy team as he died - that rarely happens on my poor UAC-10/5 dire wolf, I either end up dying too soon or running out and relying on my medium lasers for the last few enemies.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

WarLocke posted:

... Which is why you quirk them.

If you quirk for meta-compliance then you have to go back and do another quirk pass every 6 months as the meta changes - and do you really expect PGI to do that?

So instead you pick one build per variant and make sure that at least that one build performs decently, regardless of the current meta.

And look! We have a nice simple way of determining that one build!

(Also by 'stock' I mean the weapons loadouts, not 'literally leave SHS on without Endo or any other upgrades', just in case you haven't figured that out yet)

This is a terrible idea. Are you sure you don't work for PGI in the balance department?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Chronojam posted:

Not really, because TAG in MWO is a counter to ECM. If you are using TAG to designate and defeat targets for teammates using LRMs, why does that deserve credit while denying credit for SSRMs, lasers, or ballistics?

Yea, I've been using tag to be able to lock and target sections on enemy mechs and range find a group of ECM'd robits in the distance. Tag is a useful ECM counter, and should be rewarded as such.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

WarLocke posted:

It still counters ECM though? And it provides targeting info for missiles (while giving you money for calling down missiles)?

You just don't get money for dudes firing lasers or ballistics at it. SRMs are dumbfire and don't need TAG anyway.

SSRMs are kind of an edge case I can see going either way.

As usual I disagree - if I'm getting targeting information on a mech from a spotting Raven that lets me core out a weak section of a mech with a pulse laser how is that different from shooting at it within line of sight with LRMs?

WarLocke posted:

... That's almost literally the stated design intent for quirks.

Also I don't seem to remember anyone thinking the HBK-4G quirks are a bad idea. Which are, incidentally, based on its stock loadout.

Sorry if you think quirks are a bad idea.

Quirks are to balance underperforming variants, not enforce the stock loadouts (which are generally poo poo in this game). The stock builds are based on the tabletop environment which is extremely different from a FPS game, and it shows. Go load up a few rounds in a stock Dragon 1-C and get back to me.

Quirks are a good idea - making them based on the stock loadout is terrible.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Segue into another topic: does anyone else ever solo drop occasionally? If so what music do you listen to while shooting robots? I've been listening to Lazerhawk more or less on repeat for a retro '80's style vibe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc0Gcdi5b6g

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Thanks, that's really good.

e: reminded me weirdly of Protomen, which I should try playing to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VspS8m2yatQ

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

various cheeses posted:

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo are you me? Kavinsky and Lazerhawk are my official MWO soundtrack. It fits better as a light, I have a separate playlist for the rare times I play a heavier mech.

Goddamn. I really enjoy listening to it while in an UAC dire whale - it makes up for how slow I run around the map, and adds a bunch of excitement when I'm doing dakka. Not so great when I'm doing silly things in a UAC20/LBX20 wolf spider build

e: mostly because the spider build relies on someone rounding a corner into my alpha and dying at very close range.
e2: and this is the most obvious reason we can't be the same person (asides from playing with each other a bunch) - you're far better with lights than I am, and I die a lot more than you :v:

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Excellent, more music for me to listen while dying shooting gloriously to at mechs

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

various cheeses posted:

Well as a light you don't really die unless you go balls deep into the enemy team without support and/or before first contact. I can always exercise the option of "run the gently caress away" if things look bad (and I exercise it often) which is why I tend to be the last guy standing. As an assault you're basically in the fight until you're dead, they're dead, or they disengage.

Yea, I die a lot due to "oh poo poo where did the rest of my team go? Welp." Situational awareness in an assault is pretty much required. That and not being suicidally brave.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Honest Davion posted:

Went out in a slow as poo poo 4xAC5, 2xML, 210 Engine, Cataphract 4-X. Endo, but no Dual Heatsinks. I think they may be tweaking the Quirks back a little on this one.

Faces were wrecked. And mine wasn't until I blew through all 4 tons of my ammo. Lights seriously need to watch out for this, that extra shot velocity makes hitting fast movers easier. Poor Raven 3-L got it's torso removed at fairly close range in a full speed strafe.

Obviously ran a bit hot, but just got me the cash I need for the dual sinks now. What should I do about that engine though? I only get 48kph right now and it's like running in molasses. Risk whatever XL I can fit? Ditch the lasers for a bigger standard one? Not like I really used them anyway.

I'd like to see what an XL engine does, perhaps something like this? CTF-4X

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

I've been itching for MWO recently, with the quirk patch out I've decided to try it out again. I haven't been on Mumble for a year now, do people actually use the LFG channel, or am I better off sitting in a populated channel asking if there's room every time a match finishes?

Ask, we usually don't notice that people are in the LFG channel.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Vorenus posted:

One of the cool things (the only) about having a mumble name that doesn't match in-game is getting to hear the things goons say when they see a "pubbie" 3xLPL XL375 Awesome. It is the most terrible of builds, but it's fun. With good positioning you can play it like Cheeses' ERLL Raven and poop out 900 points of damage while the enemy pubbies focus the good mechs.

I was also annoyed at "that stupid awesome" for getting in front of me just before I did an alpha, you are very very lucky I didn't press buttan. The mech I was running has about an 85 damage alpha.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Tagichatn posted:

Are there any bad clan weapons? I'm trying to fit my timber wolf and it seems like all the lasers are good but I don't know if the ballistics are worth the space since the prime can't fit a uac/20.

UAC-5 and UAC-10's are amazing. Tons of great direct fire damage if someone lets you open up on them at medium range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Part of my problem is I like to sneak up the sides of the map and can't resist taking potshots whenever I see an exposed back. I then get mobbed by all of whoever's buddies. Maybe I should just stick to assaults where my tendency to red mist is less destructive.

Actually red misting with assaults is a death sentence, since you can't escape to cover as quickly and not even an atlas can withstand the entire enemy team hitting you for long. I recommend trying heavies.

• Locked thread