Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

Some people just roll ones for every stat.

Definitely stealing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MF_James posted:

Long ago in an office far far away, when I actually enjoyed my job and had just been brought into a new position as a junior admin, I worked out of our clients office, 3 floors a few hundred people, nothing too crazy. There were decent facilities on each floor that you could actually use at pretty much any time. Well, today the one on the floor I worked on was full, so I decided to go up a floor instead of down (downstairs was usually empty so pretty private) so I could chat with a few people after finishing my business. I go into the bathroom, saddle up to a urinal and start doing my business. Another guy walks in, lines up with the urinal next to me, I hear him undo his belt and then the belt buckle hits the tile. Yeah, dude just drops it all to the floor and does his business; I never again dared go up to the 3rd floor, there be monsters.

He Donald Duck'd you.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My company gave me a one-year membership to the Jelly Of The Month club.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone out there resign from a job before having the next one lined up? How'd it work out for you? I know its against the Golden Rule but I'm leaning towards doing it.

I need to move across country and get closer to family for reasons, and it's timing up with my lease expiring in January. I've put a few applications out but haven't heard anything yet. I figure I'm going to bounce either way.

I'm probably just trying to rationalize it to myself but I should be OK. I'm an RN working in informatics so I figure worst case I can always go back to bedside care if IT jobs dry up.

Florida winters beat the hell out of Colorado's, and a few weeks on the beach might do me good.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned I'm originally from the South, came up to Colorado from Florida a few years ago. I agree Colorado is awesome but I miss the slower pace and affordability of the south. I'm single with no debt and decent cushion for savings, and family to stay with in FL while I job hunt.

I'll probably keep pumping out applications up till the move point and see if anything lands. A few jobs in Memphins, TN caught my eye. A little research tells me that Memphis might not be AS terrible as I initially thought it to be.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

George H.W. oval office posted:

I did to hike the Appalachian Trail and gently caress around in Europe for a 3 1/2 months. It’s scary watching that number only go down day after day.

I ended up landing a job 3 months after coming home and was exactly 1 year unemployed. Higher paying and a job I like.

If you have a support system and ample savings it’s not as scary a prospect as it sounds.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Houston is hot for medical and technology right now so if you didn't mind Florida you'll be fine down here in the swamps of Texas. Despite the bad rap Texas gets for obvious reasons, the cities are blue and v good. Not Dallas though. gently caress Dallas

That's awesome! I've romanticized hiking the AT but after climbing a few 14ers out here I realized that I don't particularly enjoy walking for hours at a time.

And yeah, I've noticed Houston seems to be a hot market. I was there for tug boat training once upon a time, seemed like a cool place. The ATL is another area with lots of opportunities.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mattfl posted:

Where in Florida are you looking and have you looked into the AdventHealth system yet? We're pretty large in Florida and we always seem to have clinical informatics positions open at hospitals. In fact, at the hospital I work at, we just had one of our clinical informatics people leave so I'm sure we have an open position. Our Corporate IT offices are also always hiring informatic type people as well.

I'm looking in the panhandle and maybe near Jacksonville. I'm sure my preferences will loosen as the clock ticks.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I got pulled into a meeting with my boss and the CEO once.
First question out of CEO's mouth was 'are you happy here?' to which I immediately responded "Nope, you'll have my resignation by the end of the day."

I bet that felt good.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Vulture Culture posted:

I don't know what kind of RN you are, but if you have onco experience, PM me and I might be able to put you in touch with something remote to fill the gap

Sent you a PM.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

pzy posted:

I was at the ER once the very day they were switching to Epic. I died.

Are you me? I'm pretty sure I was Patient Zero in the ED for our Epic cutover, which I was hired on to help with. Better believe I was triple-checking every medication and lab order placed for me.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I mentioned my contemplation a few weeks back but today I :yotj: .

The boss understood me wanting to move closer to family, no issues there. They might be open to allowing me to work remote for a few weeks/months while they post my position and get someone hired, have to wait and see what the Director says.

No job lined up yet but I have a couple of phone interviews scheduled for next week. Worst case scenario is I chill on the beach through the end of December then start hitting it heavy come January 2nd. It'll be a big benefit to be able to interview in person instead of video/phone.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Our CIO recently sent out an email about new Company jackets for IT, for the low cost of $60. There isn't even a great logo, or witty saying embroidered on it. Which got me thinking of good IT tag lines for clothing apparel...

"Can't reproduce issue. Closing ticket."

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

Sweet new healthcare gig...

That's awesome. Congrats!

Speaking of new healthcare gigs... I was having some anxiety over turning in my notice at my current position without having a new job lined up. Fortune has smiled upon me. I received an offer for a new position on Friday, close to family. Now I'm just wrapping up projects and killing time until I can get out of Colorado next week.

*Side note: I'll be moving to a new city where I don't know anyone, so I'm gonna have to get temp housing for 2 weeks while I look for apartments etc... I haven't been paying attention but it seems like cities have wised up to AirBnB and are taxing the poo poo out of them now. $450 in taxes and fees for a 14 night stay. Decided to save $500 and book at a Hilton suites.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 10, 2019

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Start the new job tomorrow. I've been walking to work for the past 4 years, and am now looking at a 20-30 minute car drive. :smith:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Second day of the new job. No laptop, no access to anything. Looks like another full day of surfing on my phone.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Yeah, I requested to start 12/30 since health benefits kick in the first day of the month after you're hired.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
What's the shortest amount of time you've stayed at a new job? Asking for a friend...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Been here 4 days. Everyone is nice but the onboarding is non-existent. Its turning in to one of those feelings where you say "taking this job was a mistake...".

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

How you guys get jobs where you have multiple bosses baffle me.

Here's something else, Sickening: I have eight different bosses right now. Eight! So that means when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it.

On a side note: thanks everyone for the thoughts/advice on handling onboarding at the new job. People have returned back from vacation and things are slowly starting to pick up. There is still no structure to the onboarding/orientation but I have a laptop and access now, so I can keep myself busy.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

PBS posted:

I'm having flashbacks to groverhaus.

https://imgur.com/gallery/tI8ys

The perfectly placed window at the bottom of the staircase, just waiting for someone to trip.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Yep. If you've never had WFH at a position, it sucks not getting it.

Having WFH and then having it ripped away is much, much worse. That would be the tipping point for me to start looking for new employment, on principle.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Super Slash posted:

I wanna say we've spent six figures with ours, and they recently sent us a box of x7 high-end Alienware headphones for "Evaluation purposes"

There are 8 of us, I didn't get one... gently caress.

Did you also miss out on a slice of birthday cake at the company party?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mattfl posted:

There's some other Healthcare IT goons in here right?

We just made a major announcement that we are switching from Cerner to Epic over the next 18 months. This is going to be a huge project being that we have 45+ hospitals, 3 different domains currently in Cerner and 10s of thousands of users in our system. Our hospital is also going through a large 100 million dollar tower addition as well as multiple other build outs. Exciting times, oh and my specific hospital is hiring as we are about to loose 2 of my fellow techs, so anyone in the Central Florida region looking, let me know!

Ouch! I haven't heard of too many places going from one big player to another. I'm sure that's going to be quite the (costly) adventure.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 11, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Today is my 5 year anniversary which means I am officially vested in the pension.
...and here I am resetting passwords for users on a Sunday because I am on call and we nuked everyone's accounts on Friday.

Congrats on hitting the 5 year point!

And speaking of call... listening to some of of my new team members talk about how the past 2 people hired before me quit before they were assigned their first week of call. My internal dialogue was thinking it's soon to be 3.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I mean this is just every day at my job to be honest. My supervisor gave me a 'woohoo' when I finished with 49 minutes to spare on the audit deadline, despite it being impossible for anybody else to have accomplished the same thing.

He won't sing my praises to anyone higher up, this project won't be noticed beyond the engineer team, and my efforts will be forgotten.

I hear you. It sucks.

Been at the new job 2 months. Wrote some quick SQL today to put together a spreadsheet that will save my 10+ teammates a bit of time each time they test.

Sent it out to the team... Didn't hear a peep. Not so much as a "go gently caress yourself". It's weird here. Previous teams I've been on, when we got a new team member, we did everything we could to make them feel included and valued.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Defenestrategy posted:

My boss forced me to figure out who is torrenting on the network and narc on them.

Were they torrenting anything worthwhile?

I observed a training session for new users. Turns out the Citrix environment for training was down and no one could log in, so the instructor just talked at them for 1.5 hours and we left.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone actively trying to :yotj: right now?

I have a pending job offer (healthcare IT) to move back across the country, to an area that is experiencing an outbreak. Dealing with a bunch of cool tech, and WFH options, and a great team. I'm worried all this excitement is going to toss a wrinkle in things.

Off to shop for a bidet.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Methanar posted:

I have two roles of toilet paper left. When is the right time to start panicking. Because I'm starting to think it was 2 weeks ago now that I can't buy canned soup.

Go buy a bidet. Seriously. Even if its just a hand-wand.

Just heard back from $prospectiveJob. Made a counter-offer, waiting to hear back but I think I'm going to take it either way. I am going to try and push the start date out as far as possible, to give time to see which way the wind is going to blow. Need to figure out what to do with $currentJob, which I greatly dislike. I'm still on orientation here, and no real projects or responsibilities. In the few months I've been here, several people have been walked out and people are fearing for their jobs. In that light, a part of me is wondering just how big of a notice I should give...

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Careful, if companies start laying off people being the new guy can make you an easy target.

True. Thankfully this is at a hospital that I've worked at before, just another team. I have lots of contacts so worst case scenario I think I could hop somewhere else in the organization.

Worst worst case scenario, I go back to caring for patients at the bedside (hopefully things don't get that dire).

*For those who have never used a bidet, you're missing out on one of life's great luxuries.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 12, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My current job is such that if I never saw these people again, I'd be just fine.

I had a great team at my last job which makes all the difference. There wasn't a sour apple, everyone enjoyed working with each other for the most part, hit up happy hour together etc... Helped that we could WFH 2 days a week so we limited our time together.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How are recruiters still sniffing around? Is anyone willing to change jobs now?

:hfive:

I am, although it is going back to a former healthcare company that reached out.

My current job is crappy enough, and the pay raise is significant enough that I'm willing to roll the dice. I'm relatively young and single. If I had a family to feed than things might be different.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Well, I got the job offer. Midway across the country from family, 40% pay raise and 60% WFH (100% currently). About the same amount of job security as my current gig.

I was pretty confident about taking the job but this rapidly accelerating cluster has me second guessing.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's always Second Life :v:.

Can my Second Life character have a Second Life?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Speaking of the oldies but goodies... Didn't we have a goon who got assigned to the company landscaping team and was delegated to raking rocks and poo poo?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

The unemployment numbers coming out on the daily has totally eroded my backbone. I will probably be a yes man for the rest of the year. Now is the time to survive.

This is quickly becoming clearer for me. The economy is shot to poo poo now, and the job market will be rough when 'normalcy' returns.

I'm now a company man trying to fly under the radar until the worst of this blows over.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Corona got you down? Let HP lift you up (to the cloud)!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

There is a hospital I know of that is laying off some nurses this week. Maybe the most in demand worker in the world at the moment. Nothing makes sense.

What city? Everything I've heard is going the opposite way. I might get press-ganged out of my cush informatics job back to the ICU.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

klosterdev posted:

"Can you press the windows key and then the R key at the same time?"
"It's the key at the bottom left of the keyboard between Ctrl and Alt that looks like the Windows logo"
"Alright now do you see a little run box in the lower left corner of the screen?"
"Clear any text in there and type c, m, d, that's Charlie Mary David then hit enter"
"Did a black box show up?"
"Alright, now type into that box ipconfig, that's i, p as in Peter, config, one word, and hit enter"
"Did it just spit out a bunch of information?"
"Alright now you may need to scroll up for this, look for (adapter name)"
"Alright under that look for a line that says IPv4 address"
"Cool, to the right of that line, there's some numbers, separated by periods, can you let me know what those are?"

You just triggered me.

I had that poo poo down to a science when I was working tier 1 for an ISP 10 years ago. However, I was screwed two times if the user was on a Mac.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm starting to get the feeling that the great new job offer, which I've accepted, is going to get rescinded due to all this craziness. Only good thing is that I was slow playing my current job and haven't yet put my notice. Bad thing is that my current job and team is the worst, and it looks like I'll be here for the foreseeable future.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Rumor mill is that a chunk of the IT department at my hospital just got furloughed. I have to depend on the rumor mill because my leadership is ineffective in all aspects.

I'm in a hybrid role with nursing informatics, and the newest guy on the team. My spider senses are tingling...

:yotj:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

It turns out that for profit health care is having issues right now. I know because I have first hand knowledge of it with my own org. I can say my org is talking about doing the same thing.

When revenue declines, the payout order usually go like Board/Investors/C-levels, then into employee pay, then into anything else. If there isn't enough to pay all of that, employees and operational expenses get the shortfall. I feel like execs will turn off the lights before and disband the company before paying themselves any penny less during hard times.

Yep. Hospitals are going to be in a pickle for some time to come. All of their money-making procedures are canceled, and who knows how insurances will pay out for covid treatment. Whatever it is won't be enough to fill the gap from not performing elective procedures. I see this being the reality for many months to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did someone say post fast.com home internet results?

You a-hole.

I got furloughed two weeks ago, and officially terminated yesterday.

On the plus side, my old hospital across the country asked me to come back for a large pay bump. Nothing is guaranteed but right now that role looks solid. Part of me wants the safety of immediate employment but I'm not sure if I want to move back. Decisions decisions...