Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ziasquinn posted:

can you just ask when someone slacks you, "hey just for records can you also throw this into a ticket?"

"I can be forgetful of details and this may be hard to find later. Could you please put it into a ticket to make sure we don't miss anything?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Not to mention that there is enough vacant housing in the US to home every homeless person there.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Maybe this was already posted, but just in case: https://techxplore.com/news/2023-08-chatgpt-showdown-stack.html

quote:

Researchers found what many already suspected: A significant number of ChatGPT's answers to programming questions were inaccurate or flat-out wrong. Ironically, however, when subjects were asked to compare responses from Stack Overflow and ChatGPT, 40% said they preferred ChatGPT's responses. Why? Because of the "comprehensiveness" and persuasive "articulate language style" of ChatGPT's answers.

Researchers said that 52% of 512 ChatGPT responses to questions were incorrect. Disconcertingly, among the responses preferred by test participants, 77% were wrong.

Even when ChatGPT's responses were blatantly wrong, 2 out of 12 subjects still preferred ChatGPT's answers over Stack Overflow's.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Thanks Ants posted:

I find it a bit strange that the (at least self described) land of freedoms and small government has such a hard-on for doing "papers please" at every opportunity.

It’s one of the lowest effort and safest ways for those enforcement agencies to get money.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

CLAM DOWN posted:

every oracle product ever made is absolute poo poo-tier garbage for morons and simpletons

change my mind

They acquired the company that created ZFS and ZFS is cool and good.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I wfh but hate using the work laptop because it is so slow compared to my home machine. I cleared it with my security team first, but now have a work VM running through Hyper-V and do all my work on that. I logged in with my work account and set Windows to give full control of that VM to the company. I also have Hyper-V set to have all the available security options enabled to hopefully minimize any risk from my personal machine being the host.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'm a web dev and feel that constantly, all the time. The field moves too fast to stay up to date on everything. If a new project calls for a tech stack that I don't know yet, well, I just learn it as I go.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hotel Kpro posted:

Probably should have asked here first before accepting a job offer but what’s IT going to be like in a hospital? Sounds like it’ll be very niche working on medical equipment that’s on the network and most anything else will be out of my scope

My experience resulted in me learning about healthy work/life balance and quitting. I was making entry level pay to write reports (financial, medical, and HR), write translation code between medical devices and the EHR db, automate processes, write new web apps, maintain intranet site, lead projects to migrate departments from McKesson STAR to Epic, create new and maintain existing apps that use Access as the front end, be tier 3 tech support, handle monthly backups, and be on call. I probably left out a couple things, too.

IT director asked what it would take for me to stay. I told him double my pay, double the amount of workers, spread out on call duty a bit more, and let me work from home 2-3 days a week. He wished me a happy and lucky future and I’ve never considered going back to healthcare since.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh, one of the high ranking executives at that hospital complained that one of the reports I automated to send to her had #### in the date field. I had to create documentation on how to expand columns in Excel.

They then wanted us to spend time creating a new process to transform the csv’s our database reporting system put out into an Excel document that would already have all the columns expanded.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh yeah, I forgot! During the migration to Epic, we were not allowed to take PTO without a doctor’s note. The migration took either 1-2 years, I don’t remember anymore. I decided to quit once I fell asleep at a friends house while hanging out, having one of their dogs give birth while laying on top of me, and I just plain didn’t care. Let them know about it and then moved to crash on the recliner, instead. gently caress that hospital and every executive there.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

i am a moron posted:

Okay I can’t figure out how to do GIFs on this accursed website, pretend I posted the one from ITYSL where Tim Robinson is going ‘what the hell’

The rest of that sounds psychotic but I’m really interested in you being a birthing table for a dog

Not much to say, really. I was overworked. The on-call rotation had gotten reduced to just me and one other person, so I was on-call for half of every month. It was also a 45 minute commute each way. And I was salary so I didn't get any compensation for the OT caused by on-call issues. Not even allowed to take off early the next day.

In any case, I was just extremely tired. It was a Friday and my friends and I usually all gathered together to play D&D or whatever. I had to sit out because I was just not able to stay awake. So, I took a nap laying down on their couch.

I woke up to find the mama dog (Pomeranian) inches from my face and feeling some unexpected warmth on my stomach. I looked around her body and saw a tiny puppy. I gently picked them up, put them back on the couch, walked into the game room and told my friends what was happening, then went back to the living room and slept for a couple hours. I had a clean shirt on the second time I woke up, so either my friends washed my current shirt or gave me a new one and I put it on while half asleep. It was over 10 years ago, so I don't remember the details too well.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Reoxygenation posted:

There's a lot to unpack here but glad you're out of that job!

Thanks! And, yeah, it taught me a lot as it was my first steady job since graduation college. I made sure to ask lots of questions of my employers since then just to make sure I wouldn't fall into something just as bad and also to set expectations of what I am willing to do or not do.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

i am a moron posted:

I was like drat, your friends sound like dicks to let that happen but that’s actually good friend stuff. That dog must’ve really trusted you

Yeah, she was a cutie pie. 🪦

I have had one of her grandpups with me since I graduated college 15 years ago. He is starting to fade, though. Deaf, blind, and getting extremely picky with food. Still cute as all hell, though.

e: and a couple more from earlier this year after a fresh groom and teeth cleaning:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

FISHMANPET posted:

What is the severe brain damage that happens when you become a high level leader that makes you think stuff like this will ever work out. It's easy to say it's a case where they're getting some massive bonus or stock options or something to gently caress up the company, but it happens in cases where there isn't some massive financial advantage. It's not that they have different personal goals, it's that they truly believe their plan is good for the org, when just about everybody can see how bad it is.

Hard disagree, at least from my singular experience. For them, it was about increasing their own paycheck. It was a non-profit hospital, but the more net income the hospital makes, the more they can pay themselves. Quality care does not increase net income; it decreases it.

That leadership group's favorite way to make more money was to expand the number of customers they serve, either by buying up competitors or building facilities in less served areas in such a way that they can siphon customers from their competitors. To afford both those costly things, they would do what they could to reduce wages, benefits, and other costs.

They also had me run what they called "payor mix" reports to see what kind of patients they were getting. Because, you see, they wanted the "desirable" customers that paid in cash or had private insurance, because the hospital makes more money from them. As a result, the hospital would develop and advertise health care services that are more likely to attract those higher profit customers. They were also more likely to expand into areas with those kinds of customers, too.

It's not about helping people. It's about making money.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I use a Hag Capisco because I'm a weirdo that likes to perch, sit cross-legged, go side saddle, and all other kinds of weird postures and it supports it all great. It is not a chair to consider if you want to be able to sit in the same position for more than like 15 minutes at a time, though. It works for me, but I can't really recommend it to anyone else. Unless you do work at a drafting table. It's a GOAT chair for that.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Iron Rose posted:

This is an insane language omg

A lot of healthcare systems are still reliant on programs written in MUMPS, iirc.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Dad posted:

I might have already posted this because it made me mad, but I can't remember so here it is again.

I'm essentially Tier 2/3 desktop support. My department is moving to a different floor of our building next month. Right now because nobody comes into work anymore I have a very nice corner office to myself with big windows and tons of natural light, it's awesome. They were about to move me upstairs to a tiny shared office with fluorescent lights, nowhere near any windows. Across the hall is a similarly sized office, but it has windows. That office was going to be used as a floating space for developers when they come into the office (they do not ever come into the office). I asked if we can use the better office, since I'm here several days a week at least.

They came back with a compromise. I will get the office that was going to be the manager's office, which is somewhat larger and I will have it to myself. It has an interior window, which faces an office with an exterior window. The office I was going to use is going to be for storage, and my manager is going to get the office with the window even though he didn't really want it. The reasoning is that they will only give up that developer space to a supervisor, even though they clearly don't actually need it at all. I do not make enough money to deserve sunlight.

I quit a previous job because something very similar to this was just this cherry on top of a poo poo sundae. I started out with my own office with a sunlight window. Then, they moved the devs into shared offices with two people. Then, moved us into a conference room with six people. Then shoved us into a shotgun closet where we had to stagger our desk and chair placements so that we wouldn't bump into each other when getting up from our desks.

For that last one, there was a giant office right across the hall that was already furnished and wasn't being used. It was ostensibly to be used by Marketing for storage. Our CEO or whatever held his yearly IT Appreciation Month meeting with us and we eventually got to the part where we were able to ask questions. I asked something to the effect of "Can we please use that room across the hall as an actual office instead of storage that Marketing doesn't take advantage of?"

He looked at me while I was asking the question, then turned and looked around the room and asked if anyone else had questions. That was the very moment that I decided I was done with that place.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

xzzy posted:

WFH folks going across time zones: what techniques you got to keep times straight? I'm only an hour difference and I've done okay this past year converting times in my brain as needed but I've missed a couple meetings from conversion gently caress ups and figure there should be a more reliable way to do it.

Keep my workstation in the time zone of the head office? Live with it and stop being an idiot? Some other fancy tool or approach?

There is something you can do in Outlook to setup a second calendar/timezone thing. I have used that in the past so that I have a "Home" timezone and a "Company" timezone.

I also add the timezone I am thinking about every time I mention a time in order to lessen confusion.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
How often do we work overtime? What is the compensation for it?

Vacation days, pto accrual, sick leave.

How are teams laid out and how do they work together? What is chain of command?

What knowledge repository is used?

How is time logged?

What opportunities are there for self improvement and skill training? Assistance with certs?

Are there bonuses? Peer reviews? Periodic evaluations?

How do raises and promotions work?

What kind of clients and what kind of work for those clients? Any security clearances needed?

Remember, you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. Find out as much about the work environment you can. They will learn a lot about you from what questions you ask.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Blurb3947 posted:

What's with so many people getting nice mics? I feel like everyone got condensers with arm mounts over covid but I don't really understand why when plain ol headsets sound fine nowadays.

I generally just recommend a decent audio interface with XLR input, a cheap $15-20 mic, and a mic boom for a total of like $125. It sounds so much better than people using headsets and for not much more money while also being more durable.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
'murica

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Fool posted:

Yeah, I've started making a point of calling out ( in public) when other engineers do something good. Even for senior and above. So often people only hear about the negative things that happen, need to balance that out a bit.

My small company (~30 people) has a 30 minute company meeting every other week and some time at the end is reserved for a Kudos Corner where people are encouraged to speak up about the good things their co-workers are doing. It does feel good.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

jaegerx posted:

I was referring to New Orleans, not the Boeing planes. Sorry for not being clear. New Orleans is absolutely miserable.

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/la/new-orleans

86% humidity

I miss it dearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Gucci Loafers posted:

On a related subject, any central New Jersey goons? How much should I ask for the jump and they want me onsite everyday. :smith:

What is the proportion of getting ready for work and commuting to and from it compared to the hours in a work day? No less than that.

I.e. if it takes you two hours a day to get ready for work and travel back and forth, you want at least a 25% raise because time is money.