Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

$60k at entry level helpdesk in the Rockies. Good bennies. Lucky enough to work for a tech startup without having to work at the tech startup's HQ in SSF.

Post wages, don't feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I've worked both corp and uni A/V. Though I've never recruited / hired folks for a position, I think the basics are pretty universal across all environments. The experience is the same as working tech at a music gig, just with folks for who have never held a mic before and make 10x what you do.

A good A/V tech should:
- Be cool under pressure
- Be able to handle VIPs with fragile egos that tantrum easily
- Be willing to take time to learn the gear
- Be able to break the million different systems working together into simple concepts

Talk about how you've got experience / the temperament for the above. A/V is a thankless job, so you'll quickly recognize the folks that know what's up.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Humanities master in IT reporting in. I got my job by being vaguely technically capable in a startup environment and when they laid off my entire department, they offered me the IT gig they couldn't fill.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Sickening posted:

That is a bold move. Seems weird to trust them and taking the position. I guess sometimes you just gotta roll the dice.

Double the wage, hourly overtime, and getting out of humanities-adjacent fields (media production) was totally worth it. I was pretty stressed and frustrated at the time, but it was an opportunity to get paid hella well to learn a whole new skillset. Glad I went with it.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Holy balls, we just announced mandatory WFH AND folks get to take their monitors home. We've asked them to submit tickets tracking this, and have already cracked 1/6 of our user base. It's like loving black friday in our office, people just grabbing anything with a screen.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Zil posted:

You're never going to see most of those monitors again, I hope your your CTO realizes that

Decision was made without IT consent.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

lol my boss keeps hinting at moving me from flyover to CA. thank you for reminding me how much it sucks.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Help I'm an atlassian admin app bitch working helpdesk

Considering trying to yotj to a full atlassian admin gig, am I crazy?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Do ya'll managers expect cover letters for your entry level admin roles?

context: applying to start-up / evil mega-corporate application admin roles, trying to transition out of four years of helpdesk

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 28, 2021

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

guppy posted:

I'm not a manager but I was always told that cover letters are necessary for any job. Write cover letters, they won't hurt you and not writing them probably will.

thank you

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Wow, that's a lot to consider. Thank you all.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

do we have an emote that sums up "our fully remote c-levels are calling for RTO"

because that's me today

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Research scientists are extra special because they're constantly code switching between academic publication language and pointing and grunting like cave people

Just spent 30 minutes watching a (very nice) phd-level researcher be unable to a. come up with a new password

then

b. fail to repeat that password successfully after new password creation

7 temp password resets on that fun ticket

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Layoffs. Half our IT team is gone, including our best T2-3 helpdesk tech and the helpdesk manager. Lost an AWS admin, a Engineer Applications guy, and our frontline sec tech.

I survived, only because of my (on-prem) location. Life takes a nosedive. Here's hoping the job market picks up. I get the feeling i'll be on it soon.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

cr0y posted:

Where are you located and what sector? I honestly thought the market had mostly picked back up.

Flyover and Ag-Startup. Can't be more specific, that alone is probably enough to dox me. It's a small industry.

tokin opposition posted:

gotta discipline labor somehow. Good luck tokenbrownguy, we tokins gotta stick together

:respek:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, I put out some applications last fall. Anecdotal, but every remote job pays well and gets probably five figure applicants. The rest of the listings are for backfill positions in remote Utah or w/e and pay like crap and have mandatory on-prem besides.

If you're a top 1% performer its a great time to go remote. Everybody else (me) better hope you know someone highly placed.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

What the gently caress are AI skills and how do I get them on a resume?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I wasn't referring to any particular job posting, just the e-janco article.

Six years as a front line helpdesk and watching layoffs roll through has got me pretty burnt out. I'd love to jump on some fad poo poo and ride it out for awhile.

e: only thing I've pursued in terms of career development is PM stuff, I'm 99% of the way done with the Google PM cert and was going to do the PMP in Feb until our educational budget disappeared.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 18, 2024

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The Fool posted:

Awesome, hope that works out for you

get that monie

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

what about a small plane

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

seriously, I will pay.... a reasonable amount of money for some to shill me constantly.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I killed the entire network for an indoor farm that relied on automation to function during a grow cycle.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

oh my godddd please don't make me help the CEO setup their touch biometric laptop sensor.

they can just type a password like the rest of us. fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

ziasquinn posted:

I lost my job so I'm looking at returning to role of some solo-onsite-tech at some manufacturing plant again. Might be kinda fun in an "overleveled" kinda way, maybe? Like redoing HS?

It'll probably lose that novelty within a week.

that super sucks. nothing wrong with a steady paycheck while you look for something better.