Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Bhodi posted:

What's that? You need a 4gb of /tmp space to install your package? Wonderful!

Depending on the system, 4gb of free /tmp/ space doesn't seem unreasonable. But I deal with a lot of servers running MySQL with HUGE innodb/myisam tables. Need at have at least 1.5 times free space of the largest table to do successful repairs....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

KillHour posted:

I had someone ask me to buy beer for them in NYS because the clerk wouldn't take their passport as a form of ID. I didn't do it because gently caress getting roped into the liability for that but I did feel bad for the guy.

jaegerx posted:

Well I guess that liquor store guy was just a dick

jaegerx posted:

Liquor stores aren’t supposed to accept passports as legal id in Texas

i am a moron posted:

https://txresponsibleserving.com/we...l%20government.

Wrong?

Edit: better link: https://www.tabc.texas.gov/public-safety/age-verification/

Texas establishments can just make up their own rules to deny service but they absolutely don’t have to. What a shithole some of you live in

Just adding to this, often there is a local policy put in place by management about not accepting "foreign" or non-frequent ids. The basis I heard for this was that while they have guides on how to deal with spotting fakes, they come across these types of ID so infrequently that its easier just to deny you service than to deal with the possibility of a bad/fake ID. Probably also ontop of being dinged for fake ids previously.

I always go out with some form of ID, unless its like for a walk around the park. I got pulled over once without my drivers license and so lucky that the cop didn't want to big a dick to me, while driving with out of state plates/license after having just moved to texas.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Jiro posted:

There is a guide book for spotting fake IDs or some such poo poo but a cop told us it was only for police departments and or it was some expensive tome that would immediately be obsolete as soon as a year would pass.

You mentioning this made me remember that I've seen these books. The one the BP my buddy was working at, was already out of date in that year it had been printed, due to changes made for under 18 licenses in the state at the time (vertical, not horizontal).

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm not sure I could remember how to tie a tie any more

If they won't accept me in a polo and jeans, do I really want to work there?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Such a great feeling when the user who keeps poo poo talking every troubleshooting step you’ve taken and asked for this case that doesn’t qualify for escalation to be escalated because ~~they’re special~~ has to sit issue get solved by the very steps they sighed and groaned when you asked them to do

These people are as frustrating as someone who calls us up and says "No, i won't read your guides, or watch your videos, TRAIN ME LIVE".

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Is there anything harder to troubleshoot then when the user has already “figured out the problem” and just asks you questions about how to implement the solution they’ve already decided on without giving you any drat context for what the hell they’re talking about

mllaneza posted:

That's an XY Problem. The user is asking for your help with their proposed solution, when they should be engaging the experts about the actual problem. Being able to work back to the actual problem/pain point/desired outcome is an important skill for an IT professional. It requires both the confidence to push back, and the experience to know that someone asking for an 8-port unmanaged switch and six 50' lengths of garden hose needs help reassessing the actual issue.

https://xyproblem.info/ for more info.

100% agree, I've been trying to get this through to my team for years. Yes, listen to what the customer is asking you for help with, but also understand that YOU know how to use the product, and you need to understand what they're trying to do before suggesting a solution.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

i am a moron posted:

Well right so like… what’s the distinction

There often isn't one, you'd have to be able to have some level of proof that you were fired for that reason. Most companies executing this are smart enough to have a valid reason, or "No reason".

But if you can prove that they fired you for being something like being a member of a a protected class, well, you might get a payday or your job back, assuming you want it.

https://www.usa.gov/wrongful-termination

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Does anyone have a guide or tips for writing and improving knowledge base articles or just technical writing

Our teams documentation sucks and I’m tired of bugging level 2 to make it better and having people bug me for basic questions

Ideally, you need to develop a rubric/style guide and make sure you're consistent with it. Being concise is also important.

Depending on your audience, you may need to be pedantic in things like instructions if it supposed to apply to everyone even someone who just picked it up.

If someone gives you input or an idea to improve it from their POV, empower them to try it out and see how it goes. Try to encourage suggestions into making contributions to help address those items. Documentation is a team sport IMO.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

The Fool posted:

I'm also paying state income tax for the first time ever now and that was a whole big chunk

I'm guessing you just left texas? I hope you didn't move to ohio, cuz they got city tax bullshit too. FWIW, in a lot of states if you only owe for the period of time you existed in the state, so if you moved in the last 3 months of the year or something you might not owe much/anything to one or both. I got stupidly lucky since I spent 6 months in two different states many years ago, and didn't have to pay either anything. Was a very small win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

teethgrinder posted:

The "done" column on Jira's Kanban automatically hides the task after two weeks and there's literally no way to disable or alter that functionality. But support will point you to feature requests you can +1.

Jira is the weirdest product I've ever had to work with. It's simultaneously so powerful and asinine.

You just get used to it, eventually. I've seen worse, I'll take JIRA most days over the other weird bug tracking systems I've used in the past at little companies.