Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Need some advice here. I just recently got contacted by our biggest software vendor (who I've done contract work for previously) out of the blue with them saying" we want you to work here ASAP". They also offered a starting salary that is a 60% increase over my current one :woop:, move to a much better location, etc. This wouldn't be much of an issue except that I currently do 90% of the AD work here and it's pretty much just me and my boss for 450 users. I have a huge backlog of work but the company wants me there in a month or less. I really like my boss a lot and don't want to gently caress him over or burn any bridges here. How do I break this to him?

Tell him you got a great offer, and you're going to take it. If he's a decent person he'll be glad for you. That huge backlog won't disappear, but maybe he can use it and your departure for greener pastures to justify hiring more people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Aunt Beth posted:

Turns out we had a critical ICMP outage on one of our servers the other day. Boy were my customers happy when I plugged their PC back in.

Was it unreachable?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Roargasm posted:

I can't be the only one who has wasted way more time than necessary troubleshooting network issues when inbound ping was just blocked on the local firewall

There's no good reason to block ICMP anymore, unless you're running some ancient vulnerable TCP/IP stack.

"Oh noes ICMP is insecure!!!1" is cargo cult bullshit. Good thing functioning ICMP is mandatory for IPv6 to work, so people can eventually unlearn that particular wrongness.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

NippleFloss posted:

The actual clothes are much less important than the overall impression of being clean, organized, well groomed, and capable of dressing yourself like a functional adult and not an a gross manchild.

Well, no job's worth shaving my magnificent neckbeard, but I suppose I could shower and wear something with fewer food stains to make a good first impression.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I went a little crazy earlier and called out a bunch of people in email for doing a bunch of stupid poo poo. It was one of those spur of the moment things that I immediately regretted. Even moreso when I realized that a bunch of directors were copied on the message.

Cue 5 minutes of me worrying about getting bitched at until the head of my department emails me this:

A bigger sigh of relief has never been sighed.

He stopped by my desk about an hour later and thanked me for being "the only person on this project who knows what's going on and putting up with all the other people who don't."

Congrats on having a reasonable boss. Now just watch your back around the coworkers you called out.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I'd love for my work challenge to be the work, not my bosses.

Wouldn't we all. I guess it's just too much to expect a boss to have your back in the face of unreasonable demands, run interference when you're trying to get things done, and shield you from corporate politics. It's especially bad when the boss is non-technical and doesn't really understand what value IT brings to the company; it's like having a dean of medicine who isn't even a doctor.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Could someone explain to me why a select * from table could potentially hose a whole database? Yea it could lock individual rows but once it's returned it's unlocked and occurs extremely quick.

What's the actual technical limitation here?

Hardware resources. A query like that on a huge multi-million row table could peg the CPU and/or disks for minutes, making it an effective, if inadvertent, denial-of-service attack.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I use this mic with an old pair of Sennheisers, and it works well. It'll fit most headphones that have a detachable cord. Kinda pricey for what it is, but it's good if you have a decent pair of cans that you like.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: I mean, I'll give you an example. This is going to sound like a bit, but it actually happened. My director mailed my team a menial task. It's me and another architect, and 3 senior sys admins. Not a single mid level or junior admin on the team. He emailed a request, and 2 days later he had to follow up with a second request. Why? Because 5 people making 6 figures saw an email with a menial task, went "welp that's not me", and moved on to the next thing. Well done, us!

Might be a good idea on a team like this to set up a rotation for handling the menial stuff. That way the bitchwork gets done, nobody gets bogged down with it, and everyone gets a little facetime with the unwashed masses users without whom we wouldn't have jobs.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In Active Directory Users and Computers, when looking at a user account, what tab would you click on first to configure it to connect to a Home Folder at login?

None of the above: use group policy

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

In less than a month he loaned her one of his paychecks.

Lol what a dumbass

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

It really shouldn't surprise me anymore, but the level of aspergers present in the IT industry continues to astound me.

Machines don't have emotions and are way easier to deal with than humans
:goonsay:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Didn't someone last year link to a $100k/year position as a Citrix Printer Admin?

That's quite a lowball. You couldn't afford the booze it'd take on that salary.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

ProperCoochie posted:

This effects me because I'm the newest guy. They will both dump work on me so they can satisfy their own interests. There have even been advanced tasks the director has given them specifically because of their insight and experience that they've pushed onto me to complete. And it's all acceptable.

Since they've been around a while, many employees email them their problems. Much of that work is emailed right to me from either of the two. Once I complete the jobs, they email the problem-havers saying it's resolved. But half the time I'm not credited, and I have no way of knowing if they're claiming the resolution for themselves. My reputation is almost entirely in their hands.

Cut out the middleman. Instead of telling your credit-stealing colleagues that the job is done, email the user directly and make it clear you took care of it. That way the users know the "senior techs" aren't personally handling the "really important" issues, and you have a record of your work and that they're passing these tasks off to you.

There's not much you can do about them goofing off and not working, but at least you can make sure your efforts get recognized.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Set up a Pi-hole VM and use it as a DNS forwarder for your domain controllers. Instant ad-blocking for your entire network without having to install anything on your client machines, and it's Free Software so there's no licensing problem.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Another simple question: do you like and/or work well with your boss? Would you like to keep working with your boss, even at a new company?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

How hard is it to back up the configs on the regular? Redoing the config line by line means you've been dropping the ball continuously.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

fluppet posted:

That said the tech test of my current jobs consists of being able to ssh into a red hat box fix the listen address in httpd and enable the service.

I can do this. Hire me.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

This is true of any config you explicitly manage, but what happens when someone blanks out /etc/crontab?

:viggo: sudo chattr +i /etc/crontab

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

isn't best practice still reservations for servers, centrally managed, and transient devices allowed free range of their scope?

It depends on what the servers are doing, and if you're using dynamic DNS or some other discovery protocol.

DNS server/domain controller -> Static
Application server that's part of an autoscaling pool -> Dynamic should be OK.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

drat, Dick. Your family is hardcore taking advantage of you bro :(

Controversial opinion: their irresponsibility does not make them your responsibility, especially since it sounds like they're guilting you into it.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 4, 2017

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Dear Spammer,

Thank you for the holiday wishes. Kindly suck the poo poo directly out of my rear end in a top hat.

Regards,

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

mattfl posted:

One of the techs here who has been here forever and is like 5 years from retirement just clicked on a phishing email our security team sent out.

Sounds like retirement might come a bit sooner :smith:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Hey thread. I had an interview today for a Linux admin position, and the internal recruiter said he's going to set up a second interview with the senior admin next week.

Could this be my :yotj:? I'm excited but trying to keep a lid on my hopes.

It probably doesn't hurt my chances that I have my RHCSA and will take the RHCE exam next week.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sheep posted:

Good luck! Being a Linux admin is awesome.

Thanks Sheep :)

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

LibreOffice Draw is pretty OK for making network diagrams when you don't want to pay any money.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Kashuno posted:

I am writing a god drat essay today about printer cost and why we need to get rid of most of our printers. The numbers are just sad.

It will be utterly ignored because of the stink that taking away everyone's personal inkjet will raise.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Antioch posted:

Northern Alberta my dude. It got down to -40C (-40F) (not a typo) overnight with windchill.

I went from car direct to Hot Row in the datacenter this morning.

Does your DC even have air conditioning? With ambient temperature that low you just need some fans to keep recirculating, and maybe a couple outside vents to mix in cold air.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

This is a job posting for a long-haul trucker, not an IT position.

Self-driving trucks will put these guys out of a job in the coming years. This company is simply ahead of the curve in transitioning them to IT roles.

Page snipe edit: I had a great interview on Monday for a Linux infrastructure admin job that seems like a really good fit for both me and the company. The manager who interviewed me said he needs to fill the position quickly and will make a decision by the end of this week. Waiting in limbo sucks.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 11, 2018

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Hey guys.

:yotj:

!!!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

This is me IRL right now. I've had very few good work experiences in my career, but things are looking good for the future.

I'm moving to Detroit to be a mainframe janitor for Ford. They're going to train me (no real experience with mainframes) and every couple years rotate me to a different subgroup to learn about a different aspect of mainframe technology. I'm really stoked!

The salary and benefits in the offer exceeded my expectations. In fact, I expected to not receive an offer at all! Really good base figgies (especially for coming in as entry level requiring training), annual bonus, and 3 weeks vacation right out of the gate, as well as a generous relocation assistance package. I literally interviewed yesterday, and got an offer email this morning. I'm still processing all of this.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I just let Keepass generate my passwords for me. Hopefully it's secure enough :shobon:

Edit: oh lol it doesn't generate a new password. you get THE most secure password, not A most secure password

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 28, 2018

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

*7666 being Paul Elstak - Your Mother sucks cocks in Hell.

That must sound especially good encoded with G.711

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Vargatron posted:

(please never ever work in automotive it damages you irreparably.)

:justpost:

I could say the same about working in the financial industry. I'd rather do just about anything else than support traders.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The laptops my org issues have Bluetooth and the webcam disabled in UEFI by default. They have scripts in the enterprise software store to toggle the webcam though, since we use WebEx heavily and video conferencing/training is a part of some people's jobs.

They don't set an admin password on the UEFI settings so users can go in and toggle anything we want.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Sefal posted:

Open office and my colleague who sits near me, never shuts the gently caress up. Talking out loud. When he reads emails. out loud. when he does something he says what he is doing out loud. I wouldn't mind if it was info i needed to know but 99% of it is nonsense for what he should be doing.

Headphones, preferably closed back and around-the-ear, are extremely necessary in an open office.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

One of the managers that sits behind me chews his lunch with an open mouth and also won't stop talking with his mouth full. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have headphones to block him out.

CLAM DOWN posted:

My nemesis is a balding fat sweaty neckbeard who I have dubbed Chip Guy, he sits a cubicle away. Every day at 11:30am he rips open a back of chips and open mouth chews them as loud as he possibly can including slurps and lip smacks. My headphones don't cancel it out completely. I'm going to kill him one day.

Mouth-open chewing is terrorism.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Rewrite the data collection part in a scripting language and import into Matlab for analysis after the experiment is done.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

vim is actually quite intuitive once you memorize a few dozen commands

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

vi is worth learning because it's part of every single *nix implementation out there. My day job is to support a unix app running on mainframes, and the z/OS unix subsystem only implements XPG4 UNIX 95, so vi is the best unix-native editor on the platform without installing a 3rd party port of something newer. I'm sure other commercial unixes are similar.