Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Re: Working in IT 3.0: You can't fax glitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

Thanks for this. There's a user wanting to run test programs which apparently take 30-60 days to run. He asked for a battery backup and a laptop to try and mitigate any power outage that might occur. I had found a APC battery backup for like $1100, but they probably won't go for that.
Isn’t long, intense computation exactly why research clusters and other server-grade hardware exists? Is the guy just not using the right tools for his job?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
So we've been dragged into project management hell on Twitter this morning:
https://twitter.com/AlexDRocca/status/1034120767846277120

please
⊂_ヽ
  \\ do
   \( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    > ⌒ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\the
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\needful
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
ノ )  Lノ
(_/

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

I hope you converted your [company name] points to Schrute bucks before you were let go.
I'd prefer my payout in Stanley Nickels.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

How many times a day do you all think "how the gently caress does this place even operate / how do these people tie their shoes every morning?" I'm just curious what a healthy number is. For my own mental health.
On an average day, probably hourly. The number of times I ask that question is directly proportional to the number of times I have to interact with our project management/application administration team. Yes, the roles are combined. Yes, it’s as stupid as you think. Possibly stupider.

As a new page bonus, here is the latest Dilbert that’s been circulating around the office:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I'm just loving with the owner of our company now. I sent him a copy of the Valve Employee handbook. Just got this email:

Robert
Valve
Very interesting
Somewhat similar to Menlo the company we toured a few years ago
K will be working as an assistant to xxxxx and wife
I have asked her to read Valve and Menlo book (Joy Inc) then to work with wife and HRlady to update our employee handbook
I like our company to be different/unique
Thanks for recommending Valve
Owner

Wait is there a joke I'm missing or is Valve actually that ridiculous?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

Not sure what it'd be like in Georgia, but for a red state Georgia is surprisingly regulated (source: wife who had to deal with the GA insurance commissioner for years).
Is this because Georgia has a thriving first-world city (Atlanta) to influence statewide politics? I feel like North Carolina is similar because of Charlotte/Raleigh/RTP.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

NSX is good and stable, but has some weird caveats. They have a very in-depth API for automation but powershell integration relies on a third party PowerNSX module that doesn't cover everything in the API. Most things work though.

If you only need DMZ to Prod rules, microseg is going to be massive overkill. If you want to get in to DMZ -> Prod rules, Prod App A -> Prod App B, Prod App -> Management Services rules, Microseg is your answer.

Though be prepared, the second NSX blocks a single function of an app, every app problem starts with hair-on-fire screaming down the hallways "NSX IS BREAKING MY THING!"

You know that DNS haiku that gets posted here regularly? I edited it to say NSX and hung it in my office, because that's how every day feels now.

source: I'm a key resource for our org's NSX microseg architecture across 20+ vcenters so I'm deep in the poo poo every day.
1. gently caress SpoofGuard
2. gently caress NSX agents. We use PaloAlto virtual firewalls and neither PaloAlto nor VMware seems really comfortable with the idea of their two products being integrated.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. We have a basically annual sales pitch from MS and even factoring in the costs of compute, prod storage, and backup storage, they have admitted they can’t get the price of Exchange online anywhere near on prem. Four VM’s running in a DAG hosting about 4,000 mailboxes on flash storage. We’re currently doing an evaluation to see if full O365 replacing our discrete Office licensing would help matters any.

We have a very vanilla setup and aside from managin storage consumption and doing patching, we’ve never had any major issues.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I actually implemented user provisioning two ways. Both in PS. One is manual and accepts CLI parameters or starts an interactive series of prompts to gather data for new employees or contractors, validates their employee number isn’t already associated with an AD user, then creates the account, generates a password, sets their groups to match a template set, moves them to the right OU, creates their home folder and Exchange mailbox as necessary. Then it updates a tracking document and ticket via email.

The other is a series of three jobs that runs nightly when I get an extract from our HR system. The first updates everyone’s AD user with correct title, manager, location, phone, etc. If I hit an employee number without an account associated, create an account and put it in a created staging OU. If an employee has been terminated, disable the account and move it to a disabled staging OU.

The next two jobs process everyone out of those OU’s. The created users are matched to someone else with the same department and title as a template. If the template has a mailbox and home folder, the new user does as well. Then the new account is added to the same OU and distribution groups as the template. Finally the new user’s manager is emailed their account details. If no equivalent title exists it uses their manager as a template. The disabled users are processed out per policy.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Agreed. :hfive:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

DFS-N is super easy to set up and everyone should do it if it makes sense for them, even if it's only pointing to one server.
Seconding this. Fileserver migrations are totally seamless. DFS is my best friend.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I have all the patience in the world for users. They can be exasperating but it’s my job to help them. I wind up being short with other people in IT, especially the so-called application administrators who are basically level 1 support for the apps and expect us (the sysadmins) to maintain their applications for them.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
gently caress every printer.

In other news, is anyone at NetApp Insight this week? A bullet-free event so far this year!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

wow, it's been a whole year already? where does life slip away to?

It melts into a puddle of tears, toner, and whiskey.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

You mean you haven't run Exchange 2003 off of a laptop with a "DO NOT POWER OFF" label on it?
Wasn’t this Methanar, and wasn’t it Notes?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

My first guess as a person who supported county level elections offices years ago is "lmao"

Would be shocked if they knew that you could do goofy poo poo like SQL injection via barcode if you leave that on (or if they even know control barcodes that can reconfigure stuff are a thing).
SQL inject that Access 97 backend all to hell :clint:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

Speaking of IBM power series, is anyone running one and backing it with non-ibm SAN storage? I want to connect one to Pure or Nimble via Fibre or iscsi, but all the IBM related sales guys say no. I am not sure if they are greybeard haters or if it really isn't possible.
Is your Power system running AIX, IBM i, or Linux? If AIX or Linux you should be OK, especially if you’re using it behind an SVC and/or zoned through a SAN. Direct attached anything usually is an unsupported configuration, even if it works. If you’re IBM i, you shouldn’t use anything but IBM disk.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

IBM i. We've always used only DAS.
Nope, as far as I know you can only use IBM storage. Either native expansion shelves or I believe it supports DS8000 (I’m not sure exactly how but I believe I had one customer who did). Either way if you’re looking to use flash that’s supported, just not third party.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

We do the whole 'lessons learned' thing and it will highlight glaring errors in the way our sales team approach things and then....nothing changes!
Same, but swap out sales team for project managers!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Most Windows admins don't know poo poo about PowerShell. It's really quite sad. I excelled at my old Windows admin job because I could script.
This is me. They think I'm a wizard. They ask me a question like "how many users in X department do we have with expired passwords?" and I have them an answer in less than a minute.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
My org has a lot of seasonal/re-hired employees, so maintaining their disabled account ensures that all the AD-integrated services like our records management, financial, etc systems will all maintain full continuity of their activities.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
We use VeeamONE and are analyzing our environment to see if the sizing recommendations are accurate. They seem to be pretty reasonable so far. We’re just watching some of our applications with spiky demand to see if they’ll be able to perform under load if we size by Veeam’s suggestions.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

Sure it can. That’s how I get free WiFi at airports
What horrible airports are making you pay for WiFi?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Cross-quoting myself from the small shop thread:

Aunt Beth posted:

We have an on-prem Mitel deployment and it’s pretty capable for the price. Just make sure either you get trained or you pick a vendor who understands these new-fangled computer phones. Due to institutional inertia our phones are administered by a vendor who was great at managing our ancient digital InterTel system, but good lord they’ve been making some facepalmy mistakes now that they’re in VOIP world.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
If anyone has any decent NSX reads, this guy could use them.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I highly recommend your team working with NSX jump into powershell dev from day one. Make custom tools that do everything you need for daily NSX operation and never touch the GUI.
As someone who hates the NSX GUI and is also my group’s resident powershell cheerleader, this is great advice and I will probably start doing just this.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
We have this manager too. And the reckoning has officially begun this month. He quietly fluffed his LinkedIn profile so I sincerely hope he’s swept away in the coming purge.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

When does IT finally get a new thread title someone please do the needful and revert back to the team
New titles for IT threads are a cost center. New titles for Sales and Marketing threads drive shareholder value and executive compensation, which is our priority this quarter.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Local government employee here too. Pay is quite good and benefits are fantastic. After-hours support burden is minimal. Our department's structure and management is unsurprisingly a flaming dumpster fire, but thanks to being a top-down bureaucracy it seems change is coming to that soon.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
methanar, was it your company that ran its Lotus Notes server on a laptop in the closet? Did the company die because the 5400RPM HDD in the laptop finally went belly up?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Any goons at vmworld this week?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

Impromptu poll, choose the lesser evil:
  • Canon
  • Kyocera
  • Konica Minolta

We actually had a presentation from Xerox too, but they're obviously the most evil.
Xerox’s devices are actually really good but the company that builds and sells and supports and maintains them is a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

Why are non technical people requesting servers
My favorite is the non technical people who request servers and think they know what they need because they ran Linux of a live CD at home once. Trying to get them to stop talking about specs and start telling me what they’re trying to accomplish is my personal hell