Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Lady Naga posted:

Oh so it's a fiction book in a weird format yeah okay pass. Or not? The loving Kickstarter descriptions are so cloying that it's incredibly difficult to tell what it's actually about but all the excerpts are written like an essay.

It's textual analysis, but he has fun with it and also sort-of worships William Blake, so.

hackbunny posted:

She gives off a "scolding mother" vibe IMO, a lot of people are reacting to that

It's really hard for any woman to criticize anything in any way without being perceived as a "scolding mother" or "alpha bitch" by a huge swath of the population through no fault of their own. The trouble is explaining that falls into the category of criticism, so you get caught in judgment loop.

Personal anecdote: there were two managers at a plant I used to work at: the man who would openly fantasize about running over his workers with a truck if they decided to strike, and a woman who would tell people to do their jobs when people were not doing their jobs. Guess who got the reputation for being a psychotic ball buster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

neonnoodle posted:

I wish Nietzsche were alive today so he could kick that guy right in the balls for putting VOX loving DAY ahead of him. Also Nietzsche thought racism was dumb.

Every time an idiot white guy misinterprets Nietzshe, an angel gets its mustache.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Let us also never forget his hilariously terrible review of Star Wars

Or his hilariously terrible review of the gangster movie genre! (warning: Lew Rockwell link)

Read to the end, it's worth it.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Right off the bat he opens with a bunch of old man whining about "why don't they make proper cowboy movies anymore the only good movies ever made were cowboy movies," he's like a strawman grandpa

Crazy Uncle Murray posted:

Unfortunately, the Western movie is no more, felled perhaps by endless and unimaginative repetition, but possibly, too, by the dogged leftist insistence in the later Westerns for the Indians to be the Good Guys and the whites the Bad. Look, fellas, it doesn’t matter what the literal historical truth may or may not have been; the leftist reversal – the insistence on destroying familiar heroes – simply don’t work, it didn’t scan, and it helped destroy the Western genre.

They don't make cowboy movies anymore because the leftists were all "hey, maybe don't be so loving racist." This makes Murray mad. At the leftists, I mean. Not at the racists. He would never get mad at them.

Race! That Murray Book posted:

Until literally mid-October 1994, it was shameful and taboo for anyone to talk publicly or write about, home truths which everyone, and I mean everyone, knew in their hearts and in private: that is, almost self-evident truths about race, intelligence, and heritability. What used to be widespread shared public knowledge about race and ethnicity among writers, publicists, and scholars, was suddenly driven out of the public square by Communist anthropologist Franz Boas and his associates in the 1930s, and it has been taboo ever since. Essentially, I mean the almost self-evident fact that individuals, ethnic groups, and races differ among themselves in intelligence and in many other traits, and that intelligence, as well as less controversial traits of temperament, are in large part hereditary.

Their Malcolm... and Mine posted:

In the last analysis, then, it is not Malcolm’s ideas, militant or not, nationalist or not, that continue to fascinate, and to attract followers. Not at all. On the contrary, it was Malcolm as a person who was the great attraction when alive and still is, thirty years after his death. For Malcolm was indeed unique among black leadership, past and present. He did no shuckin’ and jivin’, he was not a clown like “the Rev.” Al Sharpton, he was not moronic like Ben Hooks or Thurgood Marshall, he did not simply threaten Whitey in a loutish manner like the Black Panthers, he was not a fraudulent intellectual with a rococo Black Baptist minister style, like “Dr.” King. He stood out like a noble eagle among his confreres. He carried himself with great pride and dignity; his speaking style was incisive and sparkled with intelligence and sardonic wit. In short, his attraction for blacks was and is that he acted white. It is a ridiculous liberal cliche that blacks are just like whites but with a different skin color; but in Malcolm’s case, regardless of his formal ideology, it really seemed to be true.

e:

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Oh man that rabbit hole goes deep

Right? That one might be my favorite piece of libertarian writing, based solely on how many different ways he finds to embarrass himself.

Goon Danton has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Aug 5, 2016

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

It was standard procedure for chemists to taste newly synthesized compounds for a long time. Back then nobody gave a poo poo about safety.

The evolution of chemical analysis went like this:
-Taste it
-Make the grad student taste it
-Proton NMR

I vividly remember looking up an old synthesis with the step "allow the reaction to boil until the smell of pyridine can no longer be detected." I also vividly remember getting the gently caress out of synthetic chemistry.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It is undoubtedly a case of chronic mendacity combined with terminal malice brought upon by a lifestyle of extreme witchcraft.

I'm still mad that Extreme Witchcraft hasn't been approved as an Olympic event yet.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

You know I've never heard anything specific about Tolkein's racism, just that he was generically Old Man Racist. I guess not having any pets called Niggerman lessened the focus he gets. :v:

He was mostly "oblivious white dude in the 30s" racist. The orcs are the big example, but the other one is the dwarves. He explicitly said he based them on Jews: a strong and hard-working people stripped of their homeland and dreaming of its return, etc. And then he was worried about making them flawless and said "hmm, what might be a stereotypical Jewish flaw to give them" and made them greedy as hell, to the point where the "losing their homeland" thing was a direct result of it.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Either I've been living on a different planet or filmmakers don't take criticism well at all, to the point that they make their fans whine like little assholes for them

It varies wildly from filmmaker to filmmaker. You have outliers who want to beat up their critics like Uwe Boll, or turn their responses into a kind of performance art like Harmony Korine. The ones that gather fans to defend their film-honor are usually the ones doing nerd stuff. The majority of filmmakers, especially the better / more interesting directors, don't really engage with the kinds of criticism you're talking about. But nobody talks about the people who don't respond, so they get ignored.

And Somfin was referring to "literary criticism," which is a hugely different thing than "reviews." If you actually tried to do literary criticism on a major release game, the people who made it would just look at you like you were a weird alien. Kojima excluded probably.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Evidently the same ones that say not buying a product means declaring war and thus justify genocide. Which I have to assume means they were penned by racist robber barons.

They're following the lead of Libertarian Thread favorite Hans Hermann Hoppe, who desperately wants to be a racist robber baron from the 19th Century despite still being alive. You don't get to claim olde timey ignorance when you have a blog.

He has a special definition of "aggression" that includes things like "disagreeing with Hans Hermann Hoppe" and "being gay." It's a trip.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

The Non-Aggression Principle as used by an-caps basically means "Violence from the top-down is not violence, violence from anywhere else is inexcusable". Slavery is not aggression, but a slave-revolt is.

I honestly have no idea what motivates literally anyone to be an an-cap

Your first line answers your second.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Okay but none of these guys actually are at the top

That's where the racism and misogyny come in! They're on top of somebody.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I like to imagine the cartoonist read the "glasses on a table" argument about perceived gaps in the fossil record and was like "hmm. How can I make an object-based analogy to dispute this, except with literally the dorkiest object possible?" It could only be more cringeworthy if the dude had used, I dunno, MLP-based sex toys.

I'm actually not familiar with the "glasses on a table" argument. What's the gist of it?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

This was my other guess. It fits into a vision of "ethnic pastoralism" and all that.

Not to mention that there's a clear hierarchy between people and the animals they own. Dogs are loyal to their masters, and they can be trained to obey your commands. The appeal is obvious.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

danger-carpet posted:

TL;DR: Shut up liberals

"The founders of modern science banished crude morality plays from our understanding of physics, and god dammit I'm going to bring those crude morality plays back if it's the last thing I do!"

Entropy is not Tiamat the chaos serpent, and I'm pretty sure this idiot is not Marduk.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

There are genuinely people mad at David Hume for the is-ought barrier.

I'm aware of Sam Harris's and Ayn Rand's arguments against it (which both seem to amount to "nuh-uh!"). Are there any other fun ones?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Aren't there is-ought connections, in practice? The objects of science and of moral philosophy are different, but people's moral judgments are informed by their factual beliefs. What jumped to my mind was how information that a practice is widespread makes it less useful as a moral differentiator; if a community internalizes the fact that tons of people are hella gay everywhere and at all times, persecuting gay people will become a less practical tool for social cohesion.

Or more simply, doesn't information about what is statistically normal influence (but not determine) what is morally normalized?

Basically the is-ought problem is that the two kinds of statements can interact with each other, but you can't generate one purely from the other. You need some kind of moral basis and some kind of factual basis in order to start the process you describe.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Well I mean, Christianity arguably counts. Or did.

Scientology probably does too, but that's a lesson in how hard it is to keep mysteries in the information era

The Gnostics would definitely count, but the other early Christian sects hated them for it.

NikkolasKing posted:

That is the greatest difference between Left and Right. It's practically a running joke that people on the Left can never rally agree on anything and are so obsessed with ideological purity that we get nothing done.

Yay for principles.

I would agree, but the implosion of the Republican's "repeal and replace" healthcare bill is a prime example of the right doing exactly that. I'm not sure what that means, but it sure is a thing.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Fututor Magnus posted:

goddamn this entire thread is emblematic of lw craziness,

just want to drop it here before i comment on it because its just :gonk:

http://lesswrong.com/r/discussion/lw/oul/openai_makes_humanity_less_safe/

I can't unsee the analogy between Yuddites and the people who were trying to stop the LHC from turning on. The only difference is which sci-fi story they're getting worked up about.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Hedningen posted:

Kierkegaard

I enjoy philosophy, but don't know much about Kierkegaard, so I'd love to see this. :justpost:

Someone linked this guy earlier in the thread, and wow, what a brilliant visionary https://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2015/10/03/beta-uprising/

Study after study... which I won't link

With all the 80%-20% stuff, he's almost definitely just talking about the Pareto Principle, which even in its "legitimate" uses always amounts to either "Boltzmann distributions are a thing" or "MBA apophenia."

Fig. 1: Science

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Race Realists posted:

https://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/2010/12/15/race-realism-and-racism-as-markers-for-rightwing-politics-and-vice-versa/

This reeks of "I compartmentalize minorities between Good Ones and Bad Ones (aka Uppity ones)"

It reeks of something, I'll grant you that much.

quote:

I recently spent some time on Chimpout, one of the funniest racist sites on the Internet. If I’m in a nasty mood, it’s funny, but if I’m in a Black-sympathetic mood, most of the humor just bombs on me.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Tl;dr fascists are posting long parables about rainbows being scary now

I love that even in their fantasies about how everything they're afraid of is going to destroy civilization, they don't bother to come up with a way that could happen. "Black people and women were allowed in positions of power society at all, and then, I dunno, everyone died basically."

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

Like I'm not even sure what terrifying future Monty Draxel here thinks is so obviously conveyed by that picture. I assume he's terrified of the coming mandatory communist anal sex and gay abortion classes?

"Smashing borders" obviously has nothing to do with standing with people like you being oppressed in other countries, and everything to do with Globalism.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

He wrote a book called the "Critique of Pure Reason," which means he's a mindless emotional prog who opposes the Rational Thinkers of today.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Do the Norse thing and go fight on a little island until only one of you comes back.

Do the Norse thing and get in an insult rap poetry battle until everyone's honor is satisfied (or so besmirched that they cannot continue).

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Hate Fibration posted:

So I've hung out with rationalists a little bit. And there's a something that some people in STEM have, the good ones anyways. It's nothing to do with skill or knowledge, it's almost like a spark or a creative spirit. It can be difficult to verbalize. But you know it when you see it. The reason I bring this up is... almost none of them loving have it, like bizarrely few of them do? It's not a super rare thing, is what I'm saying. At this point I would confidently say that if you take the population of rationalists with STEM qualifications, on average the work they do is of lower quality than the general population of people who work in STEM.

I've seen this kind of thing in action in the sciences, and in my experience the people with the "creative spark" are generally just higher up on Bloom's Taxonomy than the ones without. Bloom's Taxonomy is just a hierarchy of levels of learning on a given topic, from rote memorization at the bottom through applying knowledge to solve a problem in the middle and up to the top levels, one of which (the absolute pinnacle in some versions) happens to be called "creation."

potatocubed posted:

One of the first things I learned in formal logic was modus tollens -- and yet these kings of reason ('reason') don't seem able to apply it to their own ridiculous enterprise.

I really wish they taught actual logic and philosophy of science to STEM people (I guess philosophy of mathematics for the M folks). It would solve a surprising number of problems, I think.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

increasing universal happiness by focusing on creating a bunch of happy rats sounds like one of those thought experiments someone would think up to reveal the flaws of utilitarianism

is this guy taking the piss?

"It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, are a different opinion, it is because they only know their own side of the question." -literally a book called Utilitarianism

Just like libertarian thinking can be summed up as "Locke with a concussion," lesswrong thinking is "Bentham with a concussion," and Bentham is already "lovely JS Mill."

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Where do Cultural Marxism and SJWs fit in here?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

If his real name isn't Alexander Scott, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Sadly no. You have to figure out how to put his puzzle box back together from first principles.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

The problem is that the "real" term for that fallacy is "equivocation," which also gets used for general mealy mouthed vagueness in an argument.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I'm still pretty partial to the Despair Bears one myself.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

danger-carpet posted:

Anyway,

"It’s funny though, how people making this argument always flinch from following the rabbit-hole all the way down. I knew a nihilist who laughed at these arguments, at the whole impulse to mime morality after you’ve abandoned it. He thought defective machines should just be shut off."

I love this. A nihilist chastising another nihilist for using value judgments too much, while continuing to pontificate about what "should" happen.

Yud gonna try to free his AI-in-a-box and find out it was a beetle all along

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I love these anti-alt right youtube community that seems to be entirely made of highly polished loving about that still comes off looking more professional and sensible than the people they're mocking. It's delightful.

It turns out that the side that doesn't reject film theory as cultural marxist propaganda ends up being a bit better at video editing.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Peanut Butler posted:

Couldn't stop thinking about it, and was curious if posters ITT had any thoughts on the issue of risk associated with being an outspoken atheist. Who are the thinkers out there today actually putting themselves in harm's way? I'm sure they exist but the ones who crow the most about being 'dangerous' or 'persecuted' tend to be folks who don't need to rely on community to survive.

The only outspoken secularist who's currently being punished for their beliefs that I can think of is Abdullah Öcalan, but he's in trouble more for the "separatist paramilitary leader" thing than the "anti-religious" thing.

Peanut Butler posted:

My friend, a staunch atheist, pointed out that its not necessarily the atheism itself that makes these clods irritating. In pointing out that these guys are mostly, well, guys- typically white ones, with a comfortable income- she posited that the reason they're so obnoxious has more to do with the fact that they have very little to lose compared to atheists who are in a more possibly compromising social situation.

Thought of that reading this thread, especially the bit about how NRx types see themselves as heroic inheritors of struggle against religion in a time when most of the risk associated with that struggle is moot- for them. So of course they're obnoxious, they both overinflate the danger they face while downplaying the very real hazards of being, say, a black atheist in a deeply religious southern community.

I think the main thing is that they've inherited some really strong arguments from far smarter people who actually did face consequences for them (looking at you David Hume), but they think that borrowing those old lines makes them an edgy rebel rather than a follower in a long-standing tradition.

See also: teenagers who've read books by Ayn Rand or Friedrich Nietzsche or Howard Zinn or

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

I think generally the people who are at risk are the people who live in theocracies (so, not Westerners).

I live in the south, so I get to see a lot of windmill tilting about the War on Christmas and "Oh no, people are trying to take away our rights to be Christian! (by saying we're not allowed to force non-Christians into our way of life)" and I think really it all boils down to people who live in a fairly civil and comfortable setting wanting that feeling of being The Underdog. It makes things exciting, because you're doing something meaningful and important and just, but it's safe excitement that doesn't come with the terror of being murdered or executed or ostracized, and you generally get the support of a community of your peers, so you all get to bond over how terrible your enemy is and how great you all are for fighting it.

When you're the dominant cultural force but your holy text puts a major emphasis on persevering through oppression and persecution, weird things happen.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

And naturally, the way to give someone an unfair advantage in being good at economics is magic gene therapy, rather than giving them a good education. Gotta go with the example that sounds technoutopian and also subtly implies that merit is genetic.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Fututor Magnus posted:

but scott hasn't been influenced by neoreactionaries one bit, and that's not the reason he's basically saying some of the same poo poo nick land would say. though it's nice to note that scott and land are equally ignorant of genetics, it seems.

Someone ship Scott a boxcar full of amphetamines, let's see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Puppy Time posted:

Listen, smart people are never also crooks. The only source of problems in the system is dumb people.

Not only does "smart but malicious" not occur to him, there's also the looming nightmare combo of "smart but wrong," which would probably send these guys into a Lovecraftian madness if they seriously contemplated it.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

Dude is literally a Care Bears villain what the hell

It's the inevitable endgame of the edgier-than-thou mentality. It's like he watched the Big Lebowski to figure out how to outdo the "ironic" Nazis.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Boatswain posted:

What is the Frankfurt School conspiracy theory?

Literal Nazi propaganda. Basically some dudes in Frankfurt after WWI decided to apply a Marxist analytical method to cultural phenomena, and then fascists heard about it and turned it into a vast conspiracy by all of academia to destroy Western Culture (tm) and clear a path for total social domination by gay mixed-race Jewish Communists.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Boatswain posted:

Is it still going around? Adorno & crew aren't exactly in vogue as they once were.

E: I mean Nazis tying "Cultural Marxism" explicitly to the Frankfurt School?

Do you hear jazz on top 40 radio stations much anymore? No? That's Adorno's handiwork, you can be sure of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Fututor Magnus posted:

i really want someone to explain what andrea's on about here, because this is seriously past me. is she seriously arguing that criticism of the manifesto guy is as good as wanting his murder?

That seems to be pretty much it, yeah. "You're saying it's okay to take action against things you disagree with. But have you considered that murder is an action? :smug:"