Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Antivehicular posted:

Is there some story behind the name "Mencius Moldbug?" Why did this dude choose an Internet handle that sounds like something a second-rate Dickens imitator would reject for being too hamfistedly villainous?
Given the "Sith lord" bullshit and the fact that the word "dark" is right in their group's name, that was probably the idea. He probably thinks that he's a twisted intellectual anti-hero or something equally juvenile.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 05:58 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Ahahahaha, I just noticed that Roosh V is in that chart. :thumbsup:

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 08:31 on Jul 29, 2014

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Improbable Lobster posted:

quote:

I am working to improve myself for God’s glory.
You cannot in a million years convince me that there is any sincerely spiritual motivation behind your horrible bullshit.

I am honestly angry that these people are using religion as a post-hoc moral justification for their disgusting ideas about, hell, everything. It's such a loving lie.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Phobophilia posted:

holy poo poo you gotta elaborate on this

was he to be smuggled to the coding pits?
The bitcoin mines.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Political Whores posted:

Is the name Hoon a reference to something?
Blind Melon.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Christ, that rapeface.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
MRAs use the concept of sexism against men as a boogeyman to justify their crazy, spiteful attitudes toward women. Therefore, crazy, spiteful attitudes toward men cannot ever exist, and certainly not on the Internet, where everyone is level-headed and understanding.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, I get that it's possible that she hangs out with dedicated man-haters (and holy crap is this not the place to have an argument over whether misandry is an actual thing or not), but when you're a neo-fascist who was just pictured with a couple of MRA propagandists, it does rather point to you sharing in one particular form of sexism.
Ah, that makes sense. I'd assumed that "misandrists" was the intended word, because it's pretty hard to switch those two antonyms accidentally, but I guess that it's more likely for UnoriginalMind to have made a bizarre mistake than it is for rabid man- and woman-haters to have willingly smiled together for the same picture.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Oct 16, 2014

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
What ethnically separates the "Canadian" bits from the "English" and "French"?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

DemeaninDemon posted:

Here's his picture from the article in case you don't like clicking things:
He looks like he could be Mark Prindle's rear end in a top hat younger brother.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I can't decide whether I'm more impressed by the tasteful, skillful lighting or by the classy little light switch behind him.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

bartlebyshop posted:

black people using Drexler-style nanotechnology to destroy the glorious white bourgeoisie
Is this just a goony conflation of the "Dark" "Enlightenment" at large and LessWrong, or is that seriously one of these people's talking points?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

bartlebyshop posted:

Oh don't worry, some of them pretend that they really think that
Is this an argument that white people need affirmative action? Is that what I'm looking at here?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Jim is the dumbest, Moldbug is the biggest, and Anissimov is the slimiest.
What about Aurini?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

MinistryofLard posted:

How is Lord of the Rings attainable?
The United States right after World War II, indefinitely.

(Yes, I know that Tolkien denied any connection to the war, but that's pretty obviously what Aurini's getting at.)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Thanks for not linking that BLOOD AND THUNDER one like every single other goon.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Futurist Manifesto somehow gets dumber every time I see it; anyone sincerely moved by it is pretty drat naïve.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Stultus Maximus posted:

And I'm done with this nonsense.
No, you should read on to the part where he acknowledges the Nazis as the kind of unambiguous, indefensible evil that Tolkien was writing about, then explains that Sauron isn't that because the books' narrator is clearly lying to smear the defeated Sauron and glorify the victors.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

For kicks, look up the time Jo Walton poured a coke on his head during a Tor Publishing party at some con or other. The widespread response among people who'd dealt with his bullshit was apparently a fairly universal "Jesus, I wish I'd done that!"
And Brin was convinced that Walton had somehow orchestrated that response herself. :allears:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Here's a thought, maybe idiots can apply the same mindset independently to either Jews or bankers?!?? Or even both? Or the Illuminati instead?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Human meat isn't kosher, either.
What does that have to do with the Jews???

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Personally, I think it's more that we live in a world where we're constantly aware of the achievements of people who are way, way smarter than us, who might be better at the things we do than we could ever hope to be. So, in order to feel good about themselves, conspiracy theorists construct this narrative where *everybody else* is stupid and deluded 'sheeple', and they're the only ones who really see what's going on, allowing them to believe that they're smarter/better without actually doing anything to prove that.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Crowsbeak posted:

Also what is it with them loving Tolkien? The guy might have been a person who looked kindly on the middle ages but he was no friend to the capitalism they jerk off to.
Tolkien wrote during the last days of the British Empire and embodied a lot of that Old World character that they wish they could hope to emulate.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Dr Pepper posted:

"In Defense of Racist Imperialist Oppression" is pretty much all you need to read.
To be fair, it's being sarcastic; the actual thesis is that colonialism is good because it isn't those things. You see, there are Westerners today who are working to eradicate malaria in Africa, and all historical instances of "white man's burden" thinking are equivalent and therefore equivalently good. :suicide101:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

1stGear posted:

After the past two months of communiques with Jordan, I strongly suspect that he undermined this project because of an irrational jealously of Roosh, and any man who’s able to relate to women easily.
:eyepop:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

divabot posted:

He probably read this in September 2008 and still had it as a "cached thought". You really have to read it, it helped prime the LW-sphere to love NRx (and has a pile of NRx in the comments).
Just caught up on the thread; I'd like to point out this gem from that piece (italics his):

quote:

I was expecting to be the youngest person there, but it turned out that my age wasn't unusual—there were several accomplished individuals who were younger. This was the point at which I realized that my child prodigy license had officially completely expired.

Now, admittedly, this was a closed conference run by people clueful enough to think "Let's invite Eliezer Yudkowsky" even though I'm not a CEO. So this was an incredibly cherry-picked sample. Even so...

Even so, these people of the Power Elite were visibly much smarter than average mortals.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

divabot posted:

Anissimov did demand a RationalWiki article of his own.
Oh lordy. :allears:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ol qwerty bastard posted:

It's weird how they imagine that "intelligence" can be essentially an unbounded process (which is the only way you can invoke "sufficiently advanced AI" to solve every conceivable problem). We know nothing about intelligence beyond our own, so why do they think that they can say anything meaningful about it?
You don't seem to understand just how tautological they're being with the word "sufficiently".

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Zemyla posted:

Honestly, the best argument that voting does matter, and one that might get through to these guys, is that companies are literally spending billions of dollars to influence it.
That's exactly why it doesn't matter. :v:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm imagining Yudkowsky, a couple of years after a stroke that most people would bounce back, more or less, from, sitting in a power chair in a nursing home drooling on himself because he was so unwilling to put any effort towards rehabilitation that he just declined, and is still declining, further and further.
Uh, that's kinda terrible.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Aug 10, 2015

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
They're white because Europeans are white and it's based in European folklore.

The end.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
shut up you incredible baby

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Woolie Wool posted:

Spock was actually kind of an idiot though. If you know that other species don't customarily go around with a stick up their rear end and repress their emotions like you do, acting towards them as if their emotions don't exist is both illogical and stupid.
A good application of Death of the Au- :commissar:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Woolie Wool posted:

I once read a review on Metal Archives that used loving Iced Earth to launch a diatribe about how Kant was the worst person ever and how Kant ruined everything. Written by a Randroid of course.
ahahahaha oh my god

There's no point in quoting from it; just read the thing.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Wales Grey posted:

How is that man's head making noise without lungs and a diaphragm to push air through its vocal cords?
The hellwok has artificial lungs; that's how it keeps him alive.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Does this guy actually know
no

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Cingulate posted:

They're called illiteracy.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I read that whole post and still have no idea what the name is supposed to mean. Jezebel was spiteful and bloodthirsty, not promiscuous.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TetsuoTW posted:

"Jezebel" has meant "brazen hussy" in English since like the 16th century.
Well that's just dumb, but I guess it's to be expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I like that they had to explicitly say it's not an M4M gay hookup group, I wonder why they put that in :allears:
Yeah, the "we're not Christians" and "we're not PUAs" stuff seems like a pretty necessary clarification, given how often MRA-ism latches onto those, but then you get to "we're men occupying the same space NO HOMO NO HOMO NO HOMO" and you just have to stop and think for a second.