Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best version of El?
This poll is closed.
Elminster 20 6.45%
Elmara 20 6.45%
Entwine 13 4.19%
GURPS 99 31.94%
El Kabong 153 49.35%
Elves 5 1.61%
Total: 310 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Maybe he's literally psychologically unwell and needs medical help? :ohdear:

(This is why it's really hard to make fun of people for being stupid/jerks online--it's so hard to tell who's just being dumb and who actually could use a mental health checkup.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

From what I've see it pretty much boils down to "the only valid moral outrage is Gareth's moral outrage".

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

FMguru posted:

GMS has repeatedly gone after other companies and creators (like Fred Hicks) for offering good customer service, saying its a transparently obvious scam gimmick that only morons can't see through.

Yeah, he did something similar to the person offering a bundle of his games where all proceeds would go to the protesters in Ferguson. Said it was a scam for marketing. Like...really dude?

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Bosushi! posted:

He's an odd creature. He's currently taking Desborough to task over the whole reaction to Zoe Quinne and Anita Sarkeesian, so there is a good person deep down beneath that incredibly stubborn and aggressive persona he wears.

I remember my first example of GMS being an rear end was him being critical of people attacking Desborough for being, well, Desborough. How times change :v

And by change, I mean not change at all.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gnome7 posted:

My favorite is when he got super mad about a backer accusing him of not fulfilling his obligations to his customers, a while back on G+. Another person stepped in and said he shouldn't be so rude to a customer, and this was his reply:

The G+ post has since been deleted.

But hey, it's been recorded for posterity in How Not to Run a Game Business!

https://yourbusinesssucks.wordpress.com/tag/gareth-michael-skarka/

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

jadarx posted:

I remember my first example of GMS being an rear end was him being critical of people attacking Desborough for being, well, Desborough. How times change :v

And by change, I mean not change at all.

My first encounter with GMS was a feud he had with Louis Porter Jr. I've done some freelance work for LPJ and he got into a scuffle with GMS for some reason. I briefly met GMS at Gen Con that year and he had already made up with Louis. I shrugged it off but then I kept seeing GMS' name in RPG drama again and again and realize that wasn't a one off thing.

He seems pretty normal in person, from what I remember.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Bosushi! posted:

He's an odd creature. He's currently taking Desborough to task over the whole reaction to Zoe Quinne and Anita Sarkeesian, so there is a good person deep down beneath that incredibly stubborn and aggressive persona he wears.

He could be a terrible person that every now and then, accidentally, has a right opinion.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The lesson is that if you pay a kickstarter you are stupid and deserving of a lesson in caveat emptor.

That being said, make sure to back the Breakfast Cult Kickstarter!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Waiting for Spirit of '77, looking forward to having a goon run off with my money.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

That being said, make sure to back the Breakfast Cult Kickstarter!

Not doing that but I'll consider buying it on a 50% sale or a promotional bundle after torrenting borrowing a copy from a friend and reading it in full to deem the book's worth.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 28, 2014

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

LongDarkNight posted:

Waiting for Spirit of '77, looking forward to having a goon run off with my money.
At least they'll probably do it in a sweet Trans Am.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Not doing that but I'll consider buying it on a 50% sale or a promotional bundle after torrenting and reading it in full to deem the book's worth.

rip

Evil Mastermind posted:

From what I've see it pretty much boils down to "the only valid moral outrage is Gareth's moral outrage".

Has anyone called him Gareth Marenghi yet?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Forums Terrorist posted:

I've thought it, but that only counts in tactical nukes and psychic duels.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Davin Valkri posted:

Maybe he's literally psychologically unwell and needs medical help? :ohdear:

(This is why it's really hard to make fun of people for being stupid/jerks online--it's so hard to tell who's just being dumb and who actually could use a mental health checkup.)

Naw, he's just a dick.

I can think of at least one very toxic person in nerddom who probably should be seeing someone professionally but like, even in that case, it doesn't excuse the horrible poo poo they do.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Forums Terrorist posted:

I would never insult the greatest author, visionary, and dreamweaver (plus actor) of our generation like that.

e: I wish they'd release the Darkplace DVDs in region 1. I want all the in-character extras and commentaries. :(

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin will get my two weeks worth of instant noodle dinner money when i confirm that his PDF is worth the malnutrition.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

clockworkjoe posted:

My first encounter with GMS was a feud he had with Louis Porter Jr. I've done some freelance work for LPJ and he got into a scuffle with GMS for some reason. I briefly met GMS at Gen Con that year and he had already made up with Louis. I shrugged it off but then I kept seeing GMS' name in RPG drama again and again and realize that wasn't a one off thing.

He seems pretty normal in person, from what I remember.

Speaking of LPJ and kickstarter, he's got a weird habit of pulling out publishing stunts that wouldn't be out of place at for_exposure, such as letting kickstarter backers who give him money also submit content for publishing in his product. I'm not entirely sure how rights and compensation will be worked out, but I suspect it won't be entirely dissimilar to his last contest wherein LPJ got your entry work in its entirety and the ability to use name/likeness for possible promotional purposes and you got a copy of 3rd party Pathfinder book with your name in the credits.

He talks about helping writers "break in" but when it took a while before he finally upped his rates from .01/word to .04/word and he's still advocating getting cheap artists from overseas to help them with exposure, I don't really think that he's doing the writer a favor so much as the other way around.

LPJ also shows up on Go Make Me A Sandwich a few times. I don't think he's the worst game designer or anything like that, but the guy does make some decisions that leave me shaking my head, even if many of them are a consequence of the dire state of the industry.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

That may have actually been in response to me; I said that to him once and got a similar answer.

e: Although I seem to remember him backhand-accusing me of having a burger-flipping job since I think you should treat customers with respect.

He did that later in the now-deleted conversation so yes, I think this was from that conversation with you. Something about how customer service is only important in retail and fast food, and if you care about it you must be from that kind of job? I don't remember the specifics, but it's in line with:

FMguru posted:

GMS has repeatedly gone after other companies and creators (like Fred Hicks) for offering good customer service, saying its a transparently obvious scam gimmick that only morons can't see through.

So I don't think my memory is too far off base.

EDIT: Oh, it was quoted in the How Not To Run A Business article above, how convenient:

https://yourbusinesssucks.wordpress.com/tag/gareth-michael-skarka/ posted:

Your minimum-wage retail-job understanding of consumer behavior has no application here, despite your concrete assumption that it must.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gnome7 posted:

The Hicks thing was a little different, he was mocking anyone who praised Hicks' prompt and friendly customer service because he was only acting that way in order to get more of your money - it was a marketing stunt, a gimmick for pete's sake - and if you thought this was in some way a good thing then you were the simplest kind of rube.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FMguru posted:

The Hicks thing was a little different, he was mocking anyone who praised Hicks' prompt and friendly customer service because he was only acting that way in order to get more of your money - it was a marketing stunt, a gimmick for pete's sake - and if you thought this was in some way a good thing then you were the simplest kind of rube.

Also, if I recall, Hicks' prompt and regular KS updates.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Siivola posted:

At least they'll probably do it in a sweet Trans Am.

I already have one picked out. ;)

You can be assured that if we run off with KS money it will be spent on only the best hookers and blow. :homebrew:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gnome7 posted:

My favorite is when he got super mad about a backer accusing him of not fulfilling his obligations to his customers, a while back on G+. Another person stepped in and said he shouldn't be so rude to a customer, and this was his reply:

The G+ post has since been deleted.

Please tell me before he deleted it someone responded to the president comment by agreeing that Obama probably will have a ton of free time when his term is over?

Bucnasti posted:

I already have one picked out. ;)

You can be assured that if we run off with KS money it will be spent on only the best hookers and blow. :homebrew:

Looks like them goon boys are at it again.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Mors Rattus posted:

Also, if I recall, Hicks' prompt and regular KS updates.

Yeah, that was the best - and most hilariously bitter - part. Hicks wasn't even doing anything amazing, he was just being really open about the design process and made sure backers got plenty of info. People were appreciable about that, and of course GMS declared "actually talk to your customers" as some kind of sinister marketing scheme.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

ProfessorCirno posted:

GMS declared "actually talk to your customers" as some kind of sinister marketing scheme.

*Ahem* You mean, "Investors".

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Impermanent posted:

Okay, fair. I don't mean to kick anyone who accidentally gave money to a jerk while they're down. I had thought the kickstarter was much more recent.
Yeah I mean, backing a GMS kickstarter 3 years ago is an error, but not a damming one. It's not like they, heh, hired him as a consultant or something!

Slightly Lions posted:

Isn't he also sitting on the Bas-Lag license? If so, gently caress that guy super-hard.
You Have Got To Be loving Kidding Me

FMguru posted:

Note that it's been more than ten months since that list was compiled, and still no Far West.
It's the rpg equivalent of Tom Friedman on Iraq.

Bosushi! posted:

Anyone can be good when it suits them to be.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 28, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, that was the best - and most hilariously bitter - part. Hicks wasn't even doing anything amazing, he was just being really open about the design process and made sure backers got plenty of info. People were appreciable about that, and of course GMS declared "actually talk to your customers" as some kind of sinister marketing scheme.
Actually I think the greatest move Hicks ever did in regards to GMS whining was tactfully admitting that GMS was right but was completely irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I said I would, and proof:

Gave to beyond blue, as it's an :australia: charity that does a lot of good.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Asymmetrikon posted:

Start your donations, folks.

Reene posted:

Good idea

Thanlis posted:

Good call.

Davin Valkri posted:

Hey, this is nice!

Froghammer posted:

I gave $11, because I always give 110%.

Also I'm assuming Zak S will be reading this eventually, in which case gently caress you and your emotional blackmail, you prick.

Ratpick posted:

Might as well, it's for a good cause.

Stormgale posted:

More donations to the pile

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Have to get new tires this weekend, but I can swing some at least.

Maxwell Lord posted:

(for $10 BTW)

NinjaDebugger posted:

Finally got home, in for a chunk of my gencon pocket money.

Dedman Walkin posted:

Got back from a VA checkup, figure I'd celebrate my good health by making a pause for the cause.

BrainParasite posted:

Eat the Elminster.

General Ironicus posted:

With the unfortunate (and unrelated) events of the last hour, I decided to give my part to a more general suicide prevention charity. Since he put the eligibility cap at 1k twitter followers, I gave $10 for each thousand I have at the moment.

I guess I've bought the license to call Zak S names, but instead I'll stick to the adjectives "wrong", "petulant", and "just plain awful".

Bendigeidfran posted:

Missed the thread by a page or two, but it's always a good day to show up an rear end in a top hat and help out the folks he's harassed.

also

Quest Jefferson posted:

Late entry, but I haven't checked the thread in a while and I wanted us to solidly double the original offer:

I also love that 13th Age Bestiary review. Just for all the story hooks and background information for each monster, it's probably the best supplement of its type I've ever owned.

Ningyou posted:

So I guess it's kinda late 'cos busy busy and I donated to a trans-specific nonprofit I really like instead of the Trevor Project :ohdear: but here's a thing

in loving memory of elminster goddessboner, and may flights of whizzards sing thee to thy rest

Spincut posted:

Welp only able to donate $10 right now, I'll donate another $10 on Friday.

Winson_Paine posted:

I am glad I waited till today to donate, tho. It made it easier. In honor of the wounded fellow who got me this AV, I increased my donation by the five bucks it would have cost to get a new one. In honor of my fallen Mick Foley AV, I sent it to RAINN.

Slimnoid posted:

My first game was TMNT. I don't remember much other than one of the players being a walking rhino who carried a gatling gun, another as kung-fu white tiger ala Long from Bloody Roar 2, a coyote who went through front doors on a dirt bike, and an old man crow NPC who regularly kicked our asses to motivate us to be better.

Also, belated addition to the donation pile.

Not much, but I had to bring my cat back from the vet today and that cost a fair bit.

Cassa posted:

Probably could update the donation count to $2061.93, which is the last one I found.

I just gave $10 to a local disabled kids charity while thinking gently caress zak, that counts, right?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Jumpin' on this train.

Darren MacLennan posted:

Sounds like a decent plan.

K Prime posted:

Zak S now owes me straight answers to five questions about Jojo's.

Ewen Cluney posted:

I'll have to see if I can spare more later on, but I figure every bit counts.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Probably the only productive derail we've had.

Incidentally, Zak has already rules-lawyered his way out of two donations so far, including one from another industry figure.

Mystic Mongol posted:

I never did get to send bees to an African child who had enough problems already, but this allows me to combine being judgmental with actually doing some good, which is a rare pleasure.

Goons are always at their best when also being poo poo.

neongrey posted:

I'm doing it because it seemed like a nice thing to do for a cause that can deffo use it.

JDCorley posted:

I'm relieved that RPG fans will donate independent of what garbage nonsense other RPG fans will spread around. We always chip in on bundles of holding and drivethru charity drives, now a "save face from people acting exactly like Donald Trump" charity drive? I'm so in. I normally give locally but will switch over briefly for this effort.

Zurui posted:

If this is a bandwagon, I'm on it.

Adept Nightingale posted:

Am sure I met Zak S's ridiculous "conditions," so figured I'd just save us both some headache and take care of the donation myself.

Bucnasti posted:

So this means I can call Zak names right? I believe I will star with "douche-nozzle".

So I'm sure he'll try to twist this into him being the hero who is responsible for our donations but whatever.

ianvincible posted:

I guess if people are keeping a tally I may as well post this

Kai Tave posted:

Hey Zak, my biggest regret during the time I spent moderating RPGnet is that Ettin is the one who got to permaban you instead of me so I feel your Ettin-related pain brother.

You're still a complete rear end in a top hat though.

Plague of Hats posted:

I guess now, in this time of Ettinmod, thread titles are as clay.

Anyway:

ProfessorCirno posted:

Having looked up and looked into the Trevor Project, it seems like a good enough place to donate to.

Goonrushing a charity out of spite might not be the best intentions, but it does seem to be leading to good results.

Cycloneman posted:

As someone who has little idea what's going on, I can't express how little anything I've seen here has done to reassure me that Zak S is a Horrible Evil Bigot Worthy Of Contempt Who Definitely Deserves This or whatever. Could anyone link something he clearly did that was clearly wrong, and not just him being a boring turd who gets into SJ fights?

potatocubed posted:

Am I too late to get on this train? :ohdear:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Don't stop donating now, it's morning in Europe.

DigitalRaven posted:

Jesus, how did I miss this thread all month?

I also kicked the same amount (but in real money) to http://www.equality-network.org/ as they're local to me. No screen cap, had to donate by text because their web-donate form's falling over.

Flavivirus posted:

I reshared the FailForward article as much as I could, so I guess I qualify for Zak's lovely little game. Thus, donation! I'd been feeling bad recently about getting angry on the internet rather than actually doing anything constructive, so I'm glad someone had this idea.

taichara posted:

I missed what Fail Forward is, but I'm up for donating to the Trevor Project for reasons.

gnome7 posted:

One more for the pile.

Rasamune posted:

This is the most dumbass Xanatos Gambit I've ever heard of

Apple Mummy posted:

I'm a pigfucker who posted Zak and the Dongion in grogs.txt

I wonder if Mike Mearls' feelings about this have changed now that Zak is becoming more unhinged?

Darth Various posted:

This post is on topic.

some loving LIAR posted:

I threw in $20 to the Trevor Project, but unfortunately I did so from a computer that has no image editing software installed on it.

Gazetteer posted:

gently caress it I don't need to eat lunch tomorrow.

As for litters, in a city they would put you up out of the dirt and the filth on the streets, separate you from ruffians, beggars and thieves and keep you from getting all sweaty and gross looking on your way to the fancy orgy party you're headed to or whatever. They also literally elevate you above others on the backs of the servants you are rich and powerful enough to have, so it was a status symbol.

inklesspen posted:

Figured I might as well chip in another donation for the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

If we're still doing a thing.

At least now I can feel like I've finally done something useful.

Ratpick posted:

Might as well, it's for a good cause.

Cassa posted:

I said I would, and proof:

Gave to beyond blue, as it's an :australia: charity that does a lot of good.

Donation count: $2081.93 :toot:

DigitalRaven posted:

I asked Ettin: what is it you object to? You want to abolish roleplaying?

quote:

To abolish Grog! We do not only want to upset a few old-school gamers and rpgsite posters moderators; that sort of gaming does exist, but it is a mere branch of the OSR. We dig deeper and we blow you higher. We wish to deny all those arbitrary distinctions of attribute and save, armour class and THAC0, upon which mere tradgamers base themselves. The silly sentimentalists of the Forge talked of playing Story First! We hate Story as we hate Games. We have abolished Story and Game.

But Ettin, we never hated you.

quote:

You never hated because you never lived. I know what you are all of you, from first to last - you are the Old School! You are the Gaming Police - the great fat, smiling men in neckbeards and faded heavy metal t-shirts! You are the OSR, and you have never been broken. But is there a free soul alive that does not long to break you, only because you have never been broken? We on SA talk all kind of nonsense doubtless about this crime or that crime of ZakS. It is all folly! The only crime of ZakS is that he is ZakS. The unpardonable sin of the supreme Pundit is that it is supreme. I do not curse you for being obtuse. I do not curse you (though I might) for being harassers. I curse you for being grogs! You sit in your reinforced chairs of stone, and can not lever yourselves out of them. You are the seven neckbeards of heaven, and you have had no troubles. Oh, I could forgive you everything, you that rule all of gaming, if I could feel for once that you had suffered for one hour a real storygame such as I...

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
We need a smilie of the :swine: crying.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Boy they sure fooled us! :v:

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

MadScientistWorking posted:

I think my first introduction to him was actually having a sane conversation with him over Nazigate so yeah he's really freaking bizarre.

Just a guess, but I think he's one of those dudes who just enjoys getting into fights on the Internet by taking an unpopular position.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

He did that later in the now-deleted conversation so yes, I think this was from that conversation with you. Something about how customer service is only important in retail and fast food, and if you care about it you must be from that kind of job? I don't remember the specifics, but it's in line with:

EDIT: Oh, it was quoted in the How Not To Run A Business article above, how convenient:
Yup, that was me! I get into that situation way too much. :(

The funny part is that I actually work as a software tester, currently contracted with a pharma company to develop clinical trial management software. Amazingly, I'm still required to be respectful to out client despite no fast food being involved. Go fig.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
He has a point, customer service only matters when you have customers, which isn't relevant to his kickstarter at all.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cassa posted:

He has a point, customer service only matters when you have customers, which isn't relevant to his kickstarter at all.

Because Far West is never coming out, amirite? :ohdear:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cassa posted:

Not being a dickbag always matters. Especially to people who've given you money to produce a product or service.

Also I've bought and preordered poo poo from him so yes, I'm a customer.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The thing is that of course there's a monetary element to fostering good customer relations. Seriously, it's not some huge scandalous reveal that Joe Gamesman might want people thinking he's a cool swell dude so they'll buy some more of his games. The salient point is that you can foster good customer relations for the potential monetary benefits and because you are also personally enthused about your good and/or service, the two aren't mutually exclusive. GMS is just a dumb petty rear end in a top hat.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Not being able to read Fred Hicks' mind, I'm still pretty sure he does what he does primarily because he feels it's the right thing to do. That it benefits Evil Hat as a business doesn't inherently make it cynical and insincere. But even if someone was being a Cool Dude entirely in the hopes of making more money, I'd take it over them being an rear end in a top hat. There's certainly no shortage of people being jerks (to put it very mildly) in the name of making money, sometimes even when it's actually counterproductive for themselves in the long run.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
"Being pleasant, professional, and helpful to my customers would make me more money. I'm not going to do that, because I am just that committed to being an rear end in a top hat."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I do not generally weigh in to agree with the consensus but good lord, anyone who argues "BUT THIS GOOD THING IS BEING DONE IN THE NAME OF BUSINESS!" needs to take deep breaths and re-read what (s)he (who are we kidding, always he) just wrote. You are angry that someone is making the customers happy and being successful in the process. You are angry that good business practices exist. :(

"AT LEAST ME BEING A SCUMBAG IS NOT SOME PLOY!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
I was broke a couple of weeks ago, but I got paid so:

• Locked thread