Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Found out I'm getting a PS4 for Christmas but it's only the Uncharted 4 Slim bundle. Guess I'll need to refuse it and tell my wife to get back to me when she's ready to spend some REAL money on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

MrLonghair posted:

Why does the PS4 get loud as hell after I do nothing but put a BR film into it. The film happens to be the greatest christmas movie, Die Hard. Is it just that extremely eager for me to roll it?

e: oh finally it settled down, that drive. This is a PS4 I bought early November too.

It's because it knows it's not a Pro :smugdog:

For real though I am getting a PS4 and are there any games that all of these "Top 25 PS4 games so far" type lists are sleeping on? underrated/overlooked poo poo?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Snak posted:

If you are getting bloodborne, it doesn't really matter what else you get, you're doing pretty well.

I you don't have the Witcher 3 on pc or something, get that also.

Do already have Witcher 3 and a good number of other games that aren't console exclusive on my PC. Already bought Bloodborne on PSN because not getting it for :tenbux: would be straight stupid. Uncharted 4 comes with it and I'm 75% sure I'm getting Destiny from someone else. I don't think there's a single game on any site's top 10 list that I'm not super excited to play soonish.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I haven't played it but considering they sell continues, there's the usual defense of "they're very generous with the premium currency", and it's F2P I'm going to put my money on the gameplay loop being designed to be as addictive as possible which translates to it being good.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Sounds like it's got the same issues as most F2P games where you're constantly wondering how much of the design has been compromised to get you to spend money. Grind and repetition are fine and valid aspects of game design but when the grind can be circumvented by spending $13.99 I can't help but think they're wasting my time.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Got the PS4 and uncharted 4, destiny, bloodborne complete, and watch dogs 2. A good Christmas

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

ChocNitty posted:

You able to play Uncharted 4? Because i'm not.

Nah spent the last bit of awake time last night trying to download a Destiny update over and over before reading up on how Sony does diff updates and it wasn't actually frozen. Gone all day today thinkin bout my brand new PS4 just sitting at home in Rest Mode.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

TheDarkFlame posted:

Jittery, ugly piece of poo poo. Looks and plays like someone tried to recreate Minecraft in Skyrim but didn't really know what they were doing. With upmarket PC hardware behind it, maybe it becomes a decent game, but it's not worth it on console. You'll suffer more from the framerate than the zombies

It's not jittery on PC but still looks like absolute dog poo poo graphically and feels clunky as hell. It's another game that hides behind its Early Access status as a defense why it has received next to no polish in the THREE years it's been on sale.

e: THREE years its been on Steam jesus christ

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 26, 2016

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

What is everyone's first planned purchase of 2017 for their PS4? I am thinking either Resident Evil 7 or Hitman season 1 for me.

Ratchet & Clank and then Final Fantasy XV when they patch the story.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Trillest Parrot posted:

Can I still play Overwatch for fun without worrying about meta and balance?

nah we don't play games for fun only ones with the best meta and biggest tournament purses

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I preordered The Division with Season Pass and that turned out to be a really good idea (eventually) so gonna preorder more Ubisoft games imo

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
The appeal of a loot game is the bigger number and cooler looking gear, the end. If you're not about that compulsion loop that's cool they're not for everyone.

The Division at launch went from a really good shooter with great skill synergy in co-op while levelling up to a mess of idiotic design decisions at max level. It also has a unique post-disaster response setting where the FEMA analogue came in, had to leave, and now it's just chaos. It's legit good now and the latest dlc is a really good single life hard mode where you have to survive resource scarcity, the cold, and enemies.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

revolther posted:

If I hated destiny, there's zero chance I'll enjoy the division, right?

My brain sees the same game, but some idiot part thinks otherwise.

I wouldn't say a zero chance, depending on what you hated about Destiny. Most of the similarities they share tend to be positives for me. They both have really engaging moment to moment gameplay and a nice feel to the guns. They both have an interesting looking world to explore. They both have good synergy between the classes/skills.

e: sorry what I meant to say was they're currently in court after Bungie sent a C&D to Ubisoft Massive for damaging the brand with a total copycat game

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 29, 2016

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

hamsystem posted:

Current Division is quite a bit different than release Division. For one enemies aren't nearly as bullet-spongy as they used to be. Most dudes will die in the span of a single magazine if you have good weapons. Secondly, the game rains loot down on you now so it's not hard to geared. It's really a matter of getting the right gear sets to suit your playstyle, but that's when you get into the min-maxing at the highest level. It has some great atmosphere and it's a fun game to just explore around in.

Yeah the 1.4 patch was similar to Diablo 3's 2.0 patch in that it fixed almost everything that kept me from playing more of the game. It's also similar to Diablo 3 in that it's going to take forever for people to stop talking about the issues it used to have as a current representation.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I did this too after my wife traded in her old phone at eb games for an inexplicably high trade credit, which I turned into PSN cards. Probably my biggest regret of 2016, especially after getting a full refund on no man's sky.

Basically every other Ubi game lately has been completely my jam though.

Yeah I still regret going in whole hog based on a two day beta and several years worth of self imposed hype but now that it's much better I'm glad I already spent my money.

I'm another person who has played Destiny and The Division 90% alone and both are fine for more hours of solo fun than you'll probably be willing to devote. I like playing with other people a lot but most of the time I want to be able to stare at my menus and my inventory and go at my own pace without feeling like I'm boring someone else.

Echoing what TG-Chrono said Division's Survival Mode is like The Division + The Long Dark in midtown Manhattan and is very good.

e: The Division Survival DLC has you loading into a night time, mid blizzard version of the entire game map with 23 other people either in PVE or PVP. You get a minimal UI, no gear, no skills, and a pistol. Your helicopter gets shot down trying to retrieve some thing and got some sort of injury with sepsis setting in in one hour (because video games). The cosmetic clothing you find in the main game makes an appearance here as clothing to protect you from the blizzard outside. Every time you step outside your body temp starts dropping and clothing makes it decay more slowly. Fires of any kind and going indoors restores your temp and if it drops all the way down, your health drains until you die or get to warmth. Every resource cache you find is usable by one person so warm clothing, crafting materials, food, and healing items can only be gotten by one person at a time.

People start dying almost immediately and you can get some of what they had on them if you get to their body before anyone else. The eventual goal is crafting a breathing mask to get into the Dark Zone and then making it to the extraction where a really tough NPC "finally tracks you down" and then you escape. No matter what way your current run ends you get scored on how you did and get loot caches for the main game based on your score.

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 29, 2016

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

VideoGames posted:

I love my new PS4. Quick question, where is the option to turn on 2FA? I looked over the op and I think I totally missed it.

http://idp.sn/security

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I did the batch add goon list thing and cancelled the 400 requests it had left after about 200 new people as it was already a lot. If you specifically play destiny, overwatch, last of us remastered mp or watch dogs 2 and we're not friends yet add FadedReality1

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
The worst thing about Mass Effect 3 was that you had Paragon and Renegade props for the dumbest poo poo ever. I remember one scene in particular you had a paragon prompt to shake hands with a returning character from a previous game. So basically if you don't hit that prompt you just stare them down like a weird idiot. Other than that it was pretty decent and the multiplayer is awesome. I also liked Dragon Age Inquisition and every Bethesda game and will probably like Mass Effect Andromeda because I'm very easy to please.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

SubponticatePoster posted:

Well, you can this time around and change on the fly too during gameplay.

They've released a bit of MP footage, now you can jumppack into CHARGE. If you have the ability to mix and match abilities for your MP character I will be really happy.

Yeah I think it was in GI they said they didn't like how ME3's MP was so much different and better mechanically than the SP and wanted to make a point to fix that.

I saw someone a few pages ago say infamous first light was better than second son. Why is that and is second son still worth picking up if I have first light?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with Renegade in Mass Effect 3 isn't the prompts, it's that it actively turns self-sabotaging. The whole point of Renegade is supposed to be "the same end, via as direct a means as possible", and in ME3 it just turns into "gently caress this guy, gently caress that guy, who cares if it fucks the Galaxy at large?"

Yeah that too. I don't know who the hell they were catering to with the Renegade choices in that game because I loved kicking a guy out a window instead of talking through the situation or socking a reporter in the prior games. People try to defend ME3 Renegade as the stakes are high which is you're super aggressive but that doesn't explain being a raging rear end in a top hat to everyone you meet.

ReverendDre posted:

If they left the Abstergo garbage out of it these would all be such better games

Black Flag's Abstergo stuff got a little laborious but I'm the one ruining everything by really enjoying the meta Abstergo layer of the series.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Best way to deal with arcane enchanted is look where the source orb is spawning and run away. It's the worst affix and even worse paired with walls or vortex

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Fru Fru posted:

Disagree. Mortar has always been my worst but I only play DH so maybe lasers are worse for melee.

Yeah they're hell for melee. I played DH a lot on PC and yeah mortars are definitely worse for them and wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Double Dragon Neon
Metal Gear Revengeance
Binary Domain

• Locked thread