Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Speaking of MGS, do I need to play like any of the first... four? twelve? How many drat games have there been? Anyways, do I need to play any of them to follow along with what happens in MGS5, or can I just Coles Notes it to "Snake is a spy, also everything is insane" and give up on following the plot right from the start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'm trying to hook my PS3 back up again. I have a poo poo ton of Sony Playstation composite cables (with the three colored prongs) and an HDMI cable and neither of them appear to be working. I plug it into the AV In section on the back of my TV and nothing. I plug in the HDMI and nothing. I even swapped my PS4 HDMI cable and plugged that into the PS3 and still nothing. I'm quite perplexed, can anyone help me out? Is there some obvious thing I'm failing to do? I can't get signal on either the AV or the Component input settings on my TV ( a Haier HD TV if that helps)

This sounds similar to my old PS3 problem; while the original AV cables worked fine, HDMI constantly resulted in no output, and resetting my video settings never seemed to make a difference. I don't want to take it in to get repaired when I plan on selling it once my backlog is cleared, has anyone here had to replace the HDMI hardware in the console itself before?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Harlock posted:

Did this happen in the original release of Uncharted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdQ1Rad2m24

Well the original difficulty maxed out at Crushing, so no. I've never beaten any of them on Crushing, but supposedly the first one is the hardest.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Are the DLCs in the Shadow of Mordor GOTY like extra content post-base-game or improvements that make the regular experience better?

Neither, they're both entirely separate campaigns that don't directly connect to the base game. Your character starts with all skills, but you lose all your runes. One is about new beasts (Graugs with a range attack, Caragors with stealth) and killing off warchiefs that use them, the other is about Celebrimbor vs. Sauron.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

the truth posted:

That is kind of funny given how frequently you have to push square in an AC game.

:perfect:

I'm the huge sucker who bought AC: Unity (for cheap) to get my fix in because I thought Syndicate wasn't dropping until November. I feel like buying it on launch day is the worst play possible, better to wait a month or three until they've worked out the really bad day-1 issues, and also save a bunch of money.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Now that's a Day 1 Digital I'm on board with

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I am enjoying Assassin's Creed Unity guys, I think I have Stockholm Syndrome. I feel like they were trying to re-capture the magic that made Ezio and AC2/Brotherhood/Revelations so good, and there are some very questionable design decisions (the micro-transaction economy, waaaaay too many collectibles), there's still some good steps in here. I don't die from leaping off rooftops anymore and seem to be better at running in a straight line, the combat is actually challenging, and you have to actually plan out approaches to missions rather than just barging in.

It's not as good as Black Flag, but I'd put it on the same level as AC3.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

the truth posted:

I was actually contemplating picking it up for cheap, but equating anything with AC3 is an automatic :smith: for me.

I meant equal in technical/gameplay terms (elaborate city vs. elaborate forests), I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than I did AC3, it's hard to really rank the games against each other. Unity is a step towards AC2, with some of the gameplay aspects of 3 and 4. I think it got a really bad rap when it was first released because of all the technical glitches and "pay money for in-game currency" aspects, neither of which is relevant now that it's been out for a year.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

qbert posted:

I generally try to 100%/Platinum stuff, if that's any help. For instance, I just 100% Far Cry 4, which as it turns out, was pointless.

Those are pretty different measures. Platinuming Witcher 3 is relatively painless if you enjoy doing sidequests anyways, but 100%ing it involves sailing around Skellige for hours and hours diving for worthless items.

I'm playing through Dragon Age: Inquisition right now and it cured me of my "get everything" mentality really fast.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'd really recommend King's Quest for fans of adventure games, but I'd wait for a sale for the season pass, especially since there's only the two episodes out right now. I thought the second episode was alright, but it does feel a lot smaller than the first one. In the second episode there's a large part that revolves around managing the strength of you and four prisoners. I think you can screw up and wind up without a helper to open a door, but I found a lot of enjoyment in trying different combinations and coming up with a close-to-perfect strategy for helping everyone. It's heavy on the trial and error, so I recommend making copies of your saves in different areas. It's kind of like The Walking Dead, season 1 episode 2(?) where you have to choose who to give food too. I liked King's Quest and I'm eager for more, and it's disheartening to hear people keep it at arm's length. It's better than most of the TellTale games, anyway.

I think people got so used to the TellTale games that they assumed that's how adventure games have always worked; a big focus on humour and pop-culture references, no deaths, no unsolvable puzzles. That's the LucasArts way; the Sierra way has always been "You can, and will, die in a wide variety of ways. And even if you don't, you can lock yourself out of beating the game without even realizing it. On the other hand, we have lots of bad puns!"

It feels inevitable that the whole package will be on sale eventually. Have there been any PS+ titles that were parts of episodic games like this?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Edit: Moved to the PS3 thread!

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 27, 2016

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I haven't played The Witness yet, but looking at some of the videos, you know what it reminds me of? The original "stuck on an island with no explanation and a bunch of puzzles" game, Myst.

I also tried an Oculus Rift over Christmas and frankly, Myst was made for that kind of interface. Apparently Jonathan Blow has said the game was too late in development to make it work in PSVR, but jeez that would convince people what it's for.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
So is it just me, or is GTA: San Andreas complete and utter garbage? Long and boring missions, crazy difficulty, uncontrollable vehicles, no cheats, and I have to regularly eat and workout? And I can't even buy a gun or amor? And my reward is having my fellow gang members yell at me for not catching the "drat train"? Well maybe if you weren't such a garbage shot I wouldn't have to! I just spent a solid 5 minutes gunning down people on a motorcycle, just to get blown up at the last second by a guy spawning directly on top of me.

Seriously, I've 100%'d all the other GTAs, and I hate this. Why is this considered one of the best games on the PS2?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

bloodychill posted:

GTA3 and Vice City were really fun when they came out. I beat 3 and ended up making my own fun by trying to fly the dodo as far as possible (made it from the last island to the first!). GTA San Andreas and the later titles became increasingly unfun for me as they had more story and increasingly divergent-from-just-causing-mayhem gameplay elements I could not give a gently caress about like girlfriends, janky dress-up, eating, working out, taking over territory, and maintaining criminal empire stuff. Just set me loose on the yardies and give me fun tunes so I canblow everything up.

This is a better description of what I was trying to say. I don't mind the maintaining a criminal empire stuff, I mind the complete lack of ability to do anything in the game. They took what they'd made in Vice City and added the exact thing GTA didn't need: gritty "realism". You can't even go buy a gun until you're like 25% through the main story, meanwhile if you cross the wrong street you get shot to pieces with nothing but a can of spray paint to defend yourself. Can you run away? Nope, you're weak because you haven't built up your stamina by going to the gym!

It's like the parts of GTAV where Franklin's friend keeps trying to be a gangster and loving things up, except it's the whole game.

Re: cheats, they didn't take them out, but using any cheats disable trophies so that's on me, I accept that. And even that's a weird choice, since cheats didn't disable trophies in the other remastered games.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Maybe with a more powerful CPU they can finally handle folders and PSN name changes.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

I said come in! posted:

This is disappointing because donut drake represents real gamers and as a real gamer I would like my body type to be represented in a video game, especially one as large as Uncharted 4.

"Why are you removing the character model that represents me, now it's just idealized eye-candy versions of - oh. Ohhhhhh. So that's what that feels like."

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I like that this is apparently coming true: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbfNhNwk9OE

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Sakurazuka posted:

The first game is most likely going to be GTA Midgar

That would be loving badass and I would buy it right away.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

axleblaze posted:

I've kinda been in the mood to play an AC type game and they're on sale right now so what's better: Black Flag or Syndicate? Also is the dlc worth a drat in either?

Syndicate is pretty good (a big improvement over Unity) and closer to the AC2 lineup in terms of gameplay, but Black Flag is way, way better overall. I think the DLC is pretty forgettable.

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 20, 2016

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I am finally playing through The Last of Us and it is going to give me a god drat heart attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
The Last of Us
Red Dead Redemption
Shadow of the Colossus
Transistor
Braid
Mass Effect 2

• Locked thread