Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TorakFade posted:

Is there a survival game around that is only about survival? No fighting weird cannibals or mutants, just hunger, thirst, exposure, disease, injury... any fighting should be of the hunting kind or at least, something I go look for and not something where I get attacked out of the blue

the forest and green hell both looked fine until it got to the mutant/natives part (also Green Hell has huge spiders which is something I'm very much not into), I still play UnReal World but I need something new!

The Long Dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Verviticus posted:

spiders are my friends

Have I got the mod for you!

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/31388?tab=images

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TeaJay posted:

Valheim came out yesterday and a few of my friends tried it, although I wasn't able to catch the stream. So far it seems like a combination of a viking survival game and Dark Souls combat. If anyone tries it, give a short review.

The youtube videos I watched make it look like any other survival game in the genre with a viking skin applied. sounds like the progression is a little different, but the "dark souls combat" is a negative for me so I doubt I'll ever give it a try personally.

Still has all the stuff that annoys me in these games, axes that last for 4 trees, hummingbird metabolism, etc

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

ARK: Survival Evolved is 80% off. I always thought you could only play on the official servers but it looks like there is local hosting as well as a solo mode.

Yeah, you could always play it locally. You can self host a network server as well

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I’ve kinda ignored this entire genre until Valheim. How do Conan, Ark and others compare? So far I’m really into the building mechanics.

I haven't played Valheim, "dark souls combat" is the fastest way you can drive me from considering a game.

I didn't find conan's building all that great when I played it. Pretty lovely color palette and it was all pretty utilitarian for pvp purposes. Could be better now who knows, I have little interest in returning.

Ark I very much enjoyed, have like 950 hours in it. Riding around on dinosaurs was cool and there were a lot of great mod buildings and some really nice maps. Couldn't say much about recent expansions, it's been a couple years since I played.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GlyphGryph posted:

Now I'm picturing someone literally carrying their base around in their pocket and throwing it whenever it's time to take a nap, like is common in many fantasy settings.

Or fallout 76

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Ark wanted to be PVP so they could do tournaments and be the next big king of the mountain game, which they were for like 3 weeks

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can carry a ton of torches around to save on matches at least. Keep one lit, when it's about dead drop it light the next one, move on. Replenish next time you make a fire

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Lone Badger posted:

Fire, well known to be the product of an advanced civilisation and impossible to reproduce without extensive infrastructure.

Far too many survival games are like that.

It would be nice if higher firestarter skills allowed for making bowdrills and such

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, but that's why it's an advanced skill and not a base thing. You shouldn't be required to freeze to death if you run out of matches on day 200

Or don't make fire strikers wear out so unreasonably fast

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They also just announced wild west dynasty

You could check out Raptor's channel on YouTube. He plays a lot of random survival building games maybe something will catch the eye

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
is there a new subnautica? cause I coulda swore I saw all the streamers/yt'ers playing one with ice and penguins or something ages ago

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's all nipple physics

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Scum: eat puppets to hit 10000% of your daily cholesterol needs

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://youtube.com/c/ambiguousamphibian

Can also check out amphibian's zomboid games for hints

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vib Rib posted:

It still eats armored tiles, though. They just last a little longer.

Unless that's a very recent change, it does not. It will, however, eat internal tiles if all the edges are metal so you have to armor everything.

Once you're all metal the shark just swims around looking sad. So desperate for the sweet taste of wood and plastic that it'll attack new unarmored tiles almost instantly

On the topic of the shark, they're not that bad. If you stab them just before they strike you'll take no damage. Takes a bit to get the timing down, but after that islands just end up being a nice source of bonus shark steaks

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can't have an RPG without fetch quests

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've gotten Emmie in about 97% of my games too, she's like the most common backer pawn

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Not that I'm even vaguely inclined to spend more money buying yet another version of Skyrim, but is its survival mode anything?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

If you want a fun Viking survival experience try Valheim instead which is designed as a survival builder from the ground up.

Not sure I'd really classify valheim a survival game, at literally no point was I ever short food or worried about temperature or any other environmental survival concerns. More of an arpg with food buffs.

quote:

It's kind of neat because it adds gameplay reasons to grow and cook food and stay at inns while travelling around. The most impactful change is that it deactivates fast travel and you can freeze to death in cold places. Food and beds are really plentiful though so there is never any survival type feeling to the game.

So it's basically frostfall?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11163

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone played starsand? Another early access game, looks like an Egyptian survival/exploring game with graboids

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone tried Subsistence in recent history? Another EA that looks sort of interesting, and the steam reviews are positive

https://store.steampowered.com/app/418030/Subsistence/

I see it popped up on the winter sale

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GlyphGryph posted:

a20 didnt really look at skills at all. The only skills that were changed were ones that literally couldn't work anymore like Lucky Looter. Stuff like pipe weapons make more skills more useful early on, though.

And they improved bows which as a side effect also helps the early skills too, but I haven't noticed anything significant in the bits I've played so far.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you spear the shark just before it bites you you don't take damage either. Takes a little practice but you can just duel them underwater easily after you get the timing down

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
While neither survival nor management, if you're just looking for something to kill some time in the evenings you might get a lot of milage out of slay the spire or monster train or across the obelisk

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
As long as my survivor can get warmed up by doing the Alizee dance

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've watched a lot of zomboid on YouTube and I've never seen any sort of escalation beyond about the first week, is there something that's supposed to make it harder?

I imagine gas is finite so you'll eventually not have power but other than that?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I know someone in here tried out core keeper and had some complaints with the grinding (I think). Anyone kept up with it, is it improving?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Don't know about "light" but there's always unreal world. Current version is $8 on steam, previous version is free from the author

http://www.unrealworld.fi/urw_downloads.html

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cool Dad posted:

Is there a good youtuber who plays Project Zomboid?

In addition to the others, Accurize2 also does some long plays

https://youtu.be/VYjuTNiCVdI

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I really love how getting Kenshi's lore is like doing archaeology. Scraps here and there in old ruins. Bits and pieces from companion conversation and npc dialogue. That dialogue changing depending on the race of the talker because some of it is racial secrets

The game is jank incarnate but it's great

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I either play with infection off or instant infections, cause waiting around for a week to see if you're dead is lame

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://i.imgur.com/6QnvPC4.mp4

Stumbled across this triumph of physics and it got me wondering, has there been anything new in Valheim since hearth?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can I become a sandworm?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Kenshi wouldn't have NPCs, your towns are all your people barring hiring mercenaries to defend

But grab the 256 squad member mod and something that adds more recruits and a vast horde of your own people might as well be NPCs

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arrath posted:

Its a little iffy if you think about it, but hey it fits the theme, right?

what's iffy about filling your base with naked dancing slavegirls?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Except make a Vintage Story thread apparently

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Umbreon posted:

What's the long dark all about anyway? Like how does it compare to other survival games in the genre and what does it do differently?

It encourages you to find a nice secure house that meets all your survival needs. Then forces you to sleep on the ground outside of that house because staying inside for a day apparently drives you insane

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can turn off respawns in the game rules when you're setting up which will get rid of the actual magic respawns

After that you've got what cromulent archer refers to as "zombie pressure". Zombies will spread to fill areas based on relative populations, i.e. if grid A has 200 zombies and you just killed all 200 in grid B, 100 zombies will shuffle as fast as their rotting legs will carry them to refill B. The more area you clear the slower that trickle will get. With respawns off you can also fully seal off an area with parked cars or tvs or other indestructible things and live in safety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn't that basically 7 days to die with horde frequency increased