Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

FFT posted:

Been playing Icarus. My first opinion on it was "this is a game that is deliberately wasting your time."

I still think that's true for the most part (like basically all survival sims), but once you start leveling up and throwing in talent points and unlocking blueprints, it's actually pretty good? They finally added a "sort" button at some point, though it's not very good at it and only works on your main inventory screen lol.

So far the other environment types after "generic survival sim forest" are pretty great too: I've hit desert and glacier/arctic and they definitely change up how you play it.

jesus i'm nearing 40 hours in it

I've got something like 200 hours in it, I played it a lot with my GF at release.

I love how it looks and feels, it's got a lot of potential IMO, it's fun, but just a little bland and shallow at the moment. It feels like early access without being called that and the weekly updates are taking steps in the right direction each week. I am taking a break though as I want to see more content and less repeating of the same thing over and over.

If they want to do Instance based stuff the progression per level should be faster/higher tier being cheaper etc, specifically the deep drills they just added are great but so slow it's pointless to use them. It takes like an hour for 60 ore which is nothing.

I think what I would rather see though, is persistence, your base stays on the map but it's damaged because of the storms and you being off world, maybe most of the benches etc destroyed.

Just so I don't have to keep building an awesome base because I really enjoy the base building side of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
All the zomboid updates are killing the mods I use. I'm getting bored of restarting over and over again.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So I just picked up space engineers for no reason at all, do we have a megathread? I couldn't find one but it seems like the kind of game that would have a huge thread and big following on SA.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Flesh Forge posted:

that's the game's current big problem, you have a very good and engrossing early game experience of figuring out how to survive the first few dozen or so hours, and then it's just goal-less sandbox stuff that you do whenever, no reason at all to do it on a long running world state. there just aren't any long term goals :shrug:

That's exactly why I took a break after playing it exclusively for like 350 hours. It's a great game, but I needs a touch more direction or structure late game.

I can't believe I never picked up space engineers before now. I'm having a blast, literally.

Would anyone suggest sticking with vanilla or modding to start with? I'm getting a little frustrated with trying to craft a mining ship that doesn't blow up the moment I bore something out. I think I need to move up to large grid and see if that helps as less things to go wrong, only bigger.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Amazing. Exactly my kind of game by the sounds of it. I've got like 2000 hours in rimworld and hardly any of it is vanilla. I just sone games are worth experiencing vanilla first and just wanted to check before going for my defaul

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

REDjackeT posted:

Get build vision and build info. If tools and weather are too loud, sneaky sounds. Those are my "always use" mods. For scripts i use: autolcd is neat if you want text displays showing actually useful information. Isy's solar rotation for sun tracking solar power arrays. And ufol's full inventory trigger is what i use on my stationary mining drills so they don't waste material and other things.

How is your miner blowing up? Is this in space or on a planet?

e; using a mod like Scarce Resources to move the ores so that there is more of a reason to go to other planets gave me a goal to work towards. I used AQD vanilla ore distribution specifically.

Just my bad designs. Not enough trust under load on certain axis. This is far more technical than anything I've ever played before, but I've sussed it. Just had my first successful run without incident. Very happy now.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Flesh Forge posted:

is it still all space colorado with space wolves and space bears?

Some non earth stuff in the game, don't want to give any spoilers. They are working on a lot of content and have a lot of stuff in the pipeline but it's not the finished product it should have been on launch

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Vasudus posted:

Icarus is really growing on me. I don't know what it was like at launch (other than bad) but it seems like there has been a considerable amount of development, plus Rocket appears to be finally relenting to player pressure for some things (like the timers / gold and copper spawns / etc.) so that's good. The weekly updates are good as well, I'm personally more of a fan of drip content rather than waiting six months for a huge update.

It's a very slow paced walking simulator that is still kinda clunky, but I think it has the potential to be pretty much the peak of the genre.

I'm still way too slow and tech up too far, but I've also been running on hard mode so it's kind of justified. I'm done with the starter forest biome missions and have started to venture into the arctic. Polar bears are loving terrifying - if I don't land a stealth headshot on one with a recurve bow + flint arrows (or better) then I'm stuck with a fast moving freight train with teeth and claws. I made an expedition in there ill-prepared and ended up making a mad dash back to the forest jamming raw meat into my gullet as the frostbite nearly killed me. Next mission I'm going with an actual source of heat and a full set of polar bear armor. And probably a gun.

Polar bears are amazing. I swear my wife got PTSD from the bears in this game. It's good fun, I genuinely enjoy it and do agree it could be the very best game in the genre given time.

Im still hesitant about the teaching up and base building every mission though, admittedly I haven't played it for more than 30 mins since they updated the ore yields and added more caves etc. But I'm keeping a keen eye on the progress in the game.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Suzera posted:

Empyrion v1.8 and new HWS+ is coming June 7. HWS is a large community Empyrion server with maybe a few hundred players that cycle in? Not entirely sure of the exact amount, but the official HWS discord gets a lot of traffic. At least several people on the Sandcastle Kicker discord are going to give it a shot starting launch day if anyone here wants to join in and have fun building or maybe be a menace for a while. Discord link: https://discord.gg/Y5JPZ2qKAw

Here's the given preview information so far for the upcoming HWS+: https://prezi.com/view/CZXN7Xt6pubgp4ASdXWc/

Yeah, that's hard to navigate. The only thing that seems highly worth looking at if you haven't played HWS+ before other than the synopsis in the next sentence is the universe map. There's a class system, a fair number of pvp planets, an elemental type matchup for weapons and armor (???), some kind of boss progression thing, and isn't so big you'll never run into people like the 10000 stars in Reforged Eden since it looks like there's maybe a few dozen stars and maybe 4x as many sectors.

Sometimes we do stuff like Minecraft, Project Zombiod or 7 Days to Die as well if you want to join and hang out in case those come up again in the future.

My take is there's a lot more neat systems than Minecraft but there's even less survival pressure once you figure out how to stab things for food. At least the last time I played it, the timestorm stuff was actually pretty boring and relatively easy to deal with.
I can't remember the last time i actually played a game with someone other than my wife and I've been looking at Emperyon for awhile now. I may have to give this a shot.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Wait, you can eat people just fine? I've been throwing that stuff away and burning it like nobody's business.

My wife was streaming us playing the day it came out and I accidentally ate a leg and freaked out because it just fells like it shouldn't be ok.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Padams posted:

I’ve just been playing Sons of The Forest as a lumberjack simulator in peaceful mode. I don’t feel like dealing with constantly escalating cannibal attacks on my ski lodge. The building system is a little finicky where you need to find the exact pixel to correctly place something but it’s still fun.

I finished it this morning with my wife and we was wondering if it's possible to deforest the whole island.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

swordfish duelist posted:

Now I may be completely wrong about this but I believe this is due to them spawning in bushes. I see them springing out of them all the time.

I've seen this, my partner has a worse PC and streams so she turns the graphics settings down and she can often spot the monkey mud men hiding before I see them.

She can see the model of the cannibal really clearly and I just see a pile of leaves etc waiting for me to get close before jumping out.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Do we have a dedicated space engineers thread? I couldn't find it but I'm using the awful app so could be me.

Also, is forever skies coop? I'm half tempted to pick that up for me and my wife to play but haven't checked if it's multiplayer.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Truga posted:

it's been archived for a long while now :justpost:

That works for me, didn't wanna post in the wrong place. I'm trying Space engineers again, I'm coming up on like 300 hours in the game but I've never done anything meaningful. I keep starting survival then getting distracted.

I've currently got a bunch of mods and have started a reasonable sized underground base and I've mapped out a 100mX100m square I want to mine down vertically with and attempt some kind of giant underground lift/parking area.

I fully expect I'm going to have to do this in sections though as I can't imagine 10 or even 20 piston stacks being able to hold up that many drills and the rock as it's pumped out.

Maybe I'll do something with merge blocks or something to keep it stable as it gets deeper

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Reavers etc seem very cool, I have them on my game but I'm trying to keep my head low for now, minus building a 1000 drill mining contraption.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

beats for junkies posted:

Stationeers is the best thing Dean "DayZ guy" Hall has ever been involved with.

I like Icarus a lot. I just think the main gameplay loop needs some work so you can roll over more tools etc, but they're becoming more open to what the community wants rather than their grand vision over the last 12 months, it's turning into a pretty decent..finally..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Macichne Leainig posted:

I’m very impressed with their update cadence with Icarus. If nothing else they do deserve credit for that.

Yes, I have to agree, they've really been committed to it. I've not played much since before the last big update, the Galileo one, so I'm not entirely sure what state the game is currently in, however, I'm looking forward to their next big update later this month. Looks like actual alien biomes and alien creatures this time which I'm really excited about. So I will be absolutely checking that out with my wife when it's released.

We just need to pull ourselves away from 7d2d and diablo.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So the timer is now no longer realtime, it's ingame. So some missions have short 8 hour timers or so, some have insanely long timers of like 30 hours.

Everything is client side now too, so you can mod the game easily to get all the "special space tools" right away and no long have to spend loving weeks grinding to get a better axe at the start of each mission.

But the bore "rougelite survival" thing is still there. There's some missions you fail when you die and lose your poo poo, each new mission is a new start, building a new base etc which means its annoying to get to the end of the tech tree.

But they're making adjustments, they're on update 80 something of weekly updates, iterations etc, adding new content, changing mechanics and balancing etc. It feels good the last time I played a few months ago, I will be playing when the next expansion comes out on the 24th, which means there's gonna 3 huge loving maps to mess about in, all with different wildlife and biomes etc.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Oh yeah, there's also a survival, non mission mode where you can just dick around and save your progress forever and I think it's more like a traditional survival game then, but you can also leave anytime you want and go do the story stuff too

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Vib Rib posted:

Roguelite survival seems like the most surefire way to guarantee that your players will hate base building and never want to create a cool or aesthetically pleasing base, ever.
The no-brainer solution is to have the world reset except for your base. So you have a permanent base in a pocket dimension or that gets podded down to you and swooped back up in some kinda stasis capsule every time you deploy. Then it would feel worth customizing and teching up.

Yes I agree, that was a lot of people's original complaint coupled with how grindy it can be.

Their solution was 2 fold, first is there's now a open world, timer free survival mode on each map that's persistent even if you "leave" and go to orbit to do missions etc.

The other is a kind of private mini map server where you can just build a nice base and make it really pretty etc and that's the only thing to do there.

I'm a base builder personally, it's why I love survival games. I feel like long term they'll address the issue better, at least I hope so. Because it's such a pretty game and I enjoy spelunking etc and taking on the raid mode stuff too, just want persistent bases in mission mode or better weapons/guns I can take to in just speed run the missions.

They've got some prototypes for vehicles etc in the code and I've seen videos where they're modular etc. They've got some great ideas if they can get people playing again

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

mrmcd posted:

Did they fix the issue where you couldn't save your game if the servers went down?

In Icarus? Everything is client side now. Their servers don't host anything at all. They did it to allow people to host their own servers like they wanted and to open up modding to the game

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Vasudus posted:

The next big Icarus core update (not the weekly updates, and not the upcoming paid expansion) will be fully integrating the open world system into the mission system. So if you want, you can at last have the best of both worlds. You can build a persistent base in the open world and then launch the actual big game missions from inside it (provided you're on Olympus, Styx, or the new zone) without having to do the mad scramble and lowtech bumrush that the missions usually devolve into. It should be real good.

Oh poo poo that actually sounds amazing then..I've not kept up to date obviously with everything, but that's everything you could possibly want from the game minus new offworld gear and vehicles. Riding a moa is fun and all but I'd rather have a dune buggy or something that didn't die to wolves on the regular.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
The new Icarus expansion is actually, dare I say it, good?....

Not having to leave planet every mission and keeping my gear/base is very nice

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Dunno if anyone watched the 7 days to die guy on YouTube, he's called guns nerds and steel or something like that, anyway, he's started an Icarus let's play and it's looking pretty drat good.

I've had a little dabble with the new map etc myself but not played it in depth yet as I've been too busy with real life, BG3, Starfield and cyberpunk but it's certainly something I'm going to go back to.

I may even start a new character, I'm kind of inspired by that new let's play series.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yeah I picked it up based on his playthrough. I'd heard it was poo poo originally but they've patched it to hell and back and made it playable. Only a few days in but enjoying it so far. GNS does a fair variety of stuff (in the survival genre, anyway) and he's generally competent so he's a good one to watch if you want to see something new.

I've played it since launch, I've always enjoyed it, but it's substantially different now to how it was. They envisioned it as some kind of silly roguelike survival game and it just didn't work

Edit: that's unfair, it did work. It was just loving annoying to have to keep teaching up and building a base each mission.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

chird posted:

New game The Front just out on early access is said to be a cross between 7d2d and Rust. Not tried myself. Youtubers more positive about it than steam reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ6EhvXwLB0

Icarus, Enshrouded, and many other 2023 games annoy me for feeling tough to run on my 3060ti/1440p/i5-12500, which isn't stellar but isn't a shitbox. Icarus defaults to 'Low/Ultraperformance DLSS'. Fizzy antialiasing TAA distracts me.

Icarus isn't well optimized, it's better than it was at release by a country mile, but it's still got a long way to go. I'm using a 3090, 3950x and 128gb of ddr5 ram and it still stutters and hops around at times.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

mrmcd posted:

Is Icarus fun yet? I played it like a year ago and there was some promise there but eventually gave up because the game design is just horribly tedious and grindy combined with janky bugs that would randomly screw you over and erase hours or days of progress.

It's had a lot of improvement. I would say the next big update will make it the game it should have been on launch and will basically do away with the instanced missions on all maps, currently it's only got missions and open world on a single map.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Vasudus posted:

The Icarus expansion is good yeah. There's a non-expansion overhaul patch coming that is going to apply the open world mission system to the Styx and (later) Olympus maps. So no more one-and-done missions unless you specifically want that style.

Basically this. The new map and game flow is great but it's not over all the maps yet. The precious 2 still need updating.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Speaking of “I think this is the best thread…”

What game(s) have the most fun “house”-building mechanics?

Icarus. Check out the YouTube videos on building houses. They have a kind of "safe" area when you can just build a house too without any of the other stuff.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I watched Guns Nerds and Steel play it on YouTube the other day and it doesn't look very horror like. But it does look interesting.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
It's the food, they give really crazy buffs in Icarus.

I've actually just come back to play it and finish off all the missions I can't do open world.

But I've added mods this time and it's significantly improved the grind and made the mundane parts of the game quite enjoyable and fast again.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Evil Kit posted:

I saw someone (might have been you) mention jousting before and my first attempt with it was vs a polar bear and... it just didn't work? I'd eat hits not matter what, even when running perpendicular to the charge. How do you joust a bear?

The hunting rifle part I believe, but I'd love to figure out a way that doesn't involve teching up significantly.

Just charge the bear as they run at you, but run past them to one side. Turn around and fire an arrow in their face, ,repeat as needed..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

RandomBlue posted:

Icarus: Absurd and bad.

I wouldn't go that far. It's pretty, it's mostly fun. Its got long term potential and the devs are at least listening with the route the player base wants to go.

They just made some really bad decisions really early on and it's gonna take a considerable amount of time to unfuck it.

Speaking of which, apparently a large patch tomorrow, that expands the Prometheus map.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I suppose that depends on personal opinion and definition to a large extent..

I enjoy it mostly. I like where it's heading and the work they've put in for the last 109 weeks, I love the idea and the setting, the live action adverts etc they've done.

It's just the rogue like mission structure and grind that's the downfall. They've move largely away from the rogue like elements, the perma death has long gone, as have the real world timers.

Once they fix the grind and add in the long term stuff they plan, to make the higher tier stuff more relevant, it will be really enjoyable I think. The bones are there already.

If they simply added things like firearms and prefab buildings/benches to the orbital workshop, the missions wouldn't be anywhere near as bad.

Travel will be easier soon as you'll be able to take mounts between missions/maps.

I'm currently sat on 560 hours in it, largely coop with my wife though so is different to playing solo too

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Canuckistan posted:

I played Icarus again for a few more hours and quit again when I couldn't pass the mission where you track the wolves. That frigging final fight between 3 wolf dens just pissed me off something fierce.

If you have it unlocked, stick a hedgehog (the spiky wood defense thing) in front of each den during the day (it's a night fight if I recall?) And then they'll all just die horribly as the spawn in.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
If you want a less cheesy way, get yourself a bunch of different meats, dry them, then eat them just before the fight for the buffs.

You get loads of +health from dry meats I think it is

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ah gently caress triple post....

New updates up and this one isn't the expanded Prometheus map, but it is coming sometime soon. I thought it was this week.

We got a stupidly expensive shield and an update on the networking and battery update which is still "soon".

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

bird food bathtub posted:

I played base Icarus like six months ago and got pretty pissed off that they're releasing "DLC"s while still not having a finished product. Haven't gone back since.

I don't mind the map expansion DLCs but I'm less impressed by the decoration dlcs

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Yeah, there's not much involvement in survival games when it comes to combat unfortunately. I don't think I've ever found one that's "great".

I have been trying out Zombie Survival Game Online for a few hours and that's interesting.

It's like a mash up of Zomboid Tarkov and Minecraft. It's still early, they're planning a full launch in 2027, but it looks good. Seems promising. But light on content so far and the building mechanics aren't good right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

It’s still dumb but the only thing that kept me from playing Icarus more was that higher difficulty weather would set the whole forest on fire with lightning and ruin my vistas for my first forest base with no way to prevent or eventually recover from this.

There's a mod to fix that.