Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Pathos posted:

How does The Forest compare to The Long Dark? For some reason my mental picture is that they’re basically interchangeable

They're not really that interchangeable. Long Dark is a very slow game where almost all resources are finite, self-sufficiency is a constant upward fight that you can never win the war with, just the battles, and your greatest foe is the elements. A much more grounded, somber take on survival. Extremely atmospheric at almost all times.

The Forest (Based on my ~3h playtime) is allot looser, is half a horror game at heart, your never really gonna be scrabbling to survive or find food or water save for the very start, and it throws combat at you fairly frequently. It's fun to build an encampment though, and the inventory system is fairly neat, despite mostly just being visually different from the standard than mechanically. Seems to have an extensive interconnected underground layer that is terrifying and I've yet to explore much because my only mobile lightsource is a piddly lighter still. A very arcadey survival game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Jesus the flashlight in The Forest is such utter garbo, it's so incredibly bad it's really not worth using over the piddly lighter. I just honestly cannot get over how bad the flashlight is. Like, is it some weird setting/hardware/software thing on my end? It cannot possibly be intended for it to be so bad, especially when it uses rare batteries to work? :psyduck:

I probably should grab some screenshots next time I play so I can have a comparison shot between flashlight on/off just to show this, a 'see if you can tell the difference' dealy, because I am still in goddamn shock at how abysmal it is.

And I appear to have gotten far enough into the game that the underground things have migrated above ground and leaving the relative safety of my walled camp to even just go cut down a few trees nearby is tense and uncomfortable, the entire game world feels oppressive now that I know those things can be anywhere at anytime and I still don't have a good strategy for fighting them. Is good.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Coolguye posted:

also worth noting that the caves do not respawn enemies

I'm fairly sure that's false, at least with 1.0? I specifically remember caves I had thoroughly cleared having cannibals in them again an in-game week or two since last going through them, although I've never noticed cave based mutants respawning. Was a real surprise since I had assumed that yeah, they didn't respawn, based on wiki skimming.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

mellowjournalism posted:

Sweet, I had a feeling story was a tacked on feature but didn't want to read too much about it.

Honestly, like, do the first part of the first chapter, just till you hit the road, it functions as a tutorial. The story mode isn't actually all that bad, I went through all that was there before doing survival and had a good time, if it was a bit too busyworky at times, tho the devs have expressed plans on reworking stuff on that end.

Still, TLD is imho one of the best survival games out there, so enjoy either way!

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
There's something to be said of the lower difficulties as well, the game is very atmospheric, and some of my favorite moments are just the long treks across the regions, taking in the sights with the steady crunch of my footsteps in the snow. The game calls it's lowest difficulty a pensive survival experience with good reason.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Nyaa posted:

On the otherhand, trying to survive in a bus for 900 hr seem like it could be a good game if done right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7cgd8WOkDE

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I somewhat enjoyed the story mode, though I did play through it first before I even touched sandbox mode, I feel if I did it in reverse order I probably would have disliked it, cause yeah, it did get real stupid tedious at times, specially that 'prove you can survive' bit as has been mentioned. Man, the timescale of chapter two felt all fucky. And I've got zero desire to play them again till chapter three is out. But I do want to see where the story goes.

But I believe the devs have stated they plan to retool the first two chapters for the release of the third, taking all these complaints to heart, least I hope. I know they plan to redo a bunch of the dialog and de-tedius the quests at least.

And yeah, sandbox is great, hands down one of the best survival games.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I do kinda the same, not full passive wildlife, but set the scent/sense/spawn ranges down real low and the fear to max.
Makes it so you don't have to treat wolves like man seeking missiles and instead just things to keep an eye on, behaving much more realistically imo, frequently ignoring you and usually running if they notice you, unless your carrying meat. If your downwind you can actually stalk real close behind wolves to hunt them too. Unfortunate side-effect is that deer and rabbits are real dumb and don't bolt till your like two meters away, which makes hunting them a bit too easy.

Also, despite a hundred hours in the game, I've yet to have a snare actually work and have mostly sidelined them as useless decoration that rabbits like to frolic around, any tips for that?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I still really hate that wolves will charge if you aim your gun/bow at them, like I fully get why from a gameplay standpoint, but it's just 'HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MOTION EVEN MEANS, YOU'VE PROBABLY NEVER SEEN A GUN BEFORE, GAH'

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
There's currently a bug where many Win7 users get a black screen soft-lock on trying to launch any of the story episodes, which sucks cause I was super stoked for it today.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I’ve kinda ignored this entire genre until Valheim. How do Conan, Ark and others compare? So far I’m really into the building mechanics.

I've extensively played both; escaped the exiled lands in Conan and 100% alpha ascended'd Ark (Do Not Do This). Of the two, I'd say Conan is the best, especially if you like the building, albiet with the caveat that your going to want to buy a few of the DLC packs just for variety in building materials and decorative objects. (The DLC's are all purely aesthetic poo poo, but good, chunky packs of it that put basegame stuff to shame) You can make some really pretty stuff in Conan once you learn the quirks and oddities of it's building system, whereas Ark always feels super utilitarian in it's structures. Being able to fill your structures with NPC's in Conan even if they are little more than glorified furniture is nice. And, most importantly imho, Conan actually respects your goddamn time, unlike Ark.

Here's some random old Conan screenshots dug up from the goon server discord, which I think is still up:

Promotional image from one of the DLC's IIRC

A section from my base from back when I played

Someone's cliffside encampment

Lighthouse tower full of bears and spiders after the unfortunate 'front fell off' incident

Sadly couldn't dig up any overview shots of buttland, the main goonmade city, spread wide in all it's glory

Drone posted:

How's Ark solo or in a tiny group (2-3 people tops)?

It can be pretty alright depending on map, Island or Ragnarock are pretty good starters (Island if you care about the story, Rag for pure sandbox), tho like mentioned you really want to up the rates on things since the rates are balanced around like a 32+ man 24/7 active clan. Experiment with them to find what works with you, but going even 5x probably wouldn't be amiss. Just mind that the maturation rate for breeding dinosaurs can gently caress up the imprinting mechanic (basically, super strong buffs to dinos that you've raised) if it's too high.

You may also want to look into some automation mods, so you don't need to babysit things -constantly-, Ark absolutely does not respect your time and wants all of it. S+ is fairly good for that without drastically loving with vanilla balance and mechanics and also fixes a bunch of vanilla building issues as it started off as a 'fix how lovely vanilla building is' mod, eventually most of it's changes got mainlined, and it's mutated into what it is now. Though this is mostly only nice QoL stuff unless your breeding dinos, drat game wants you to literally spend an entire real-time weekend constantly shoving food into a babies mouth and if you look away for five minutes it will die gently caress you.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I don't remember clothing degrading super fast in TLD; your outer layers during a blizzard will go down by a few percent if your just face tanking it and getting mauled absolutely shreds them but that's at least to be expected. Your inner layers are generally stable and same for everything you leave not exposed to the elements in storage or indoors and everything you find not in a snowbank. Only remember having to break out the sewing kits after unfortunate wildlife incidents or when finding new ratty clothes really. Tho I don't play on Interloper, and have not played in awhile, so that may change things.

But yeah, TLD is a deathmarch, since you'll strip the world bare of any man-made resources eventually (Natural resources, even rocks and coal, respawn over time) and your margin for surviving gently caress ups will steadily shrink as non-perishable foods and convenient medicines run out, though there are usually ways to bypass things. Clothing isn't much of an issue, since you can craft/repair your own using hide which bypasses the need for cloth, and tackle can be used as a lovely sewing kit when those run out and technically is an infinite resource since scrap metal can turn up beachcombing, not that your ever really in danger of running out of scrap metal anyways (There's several thousand chunks worth in shelves and the like).

The actual only resource that matters that is finite is matches. There's no way to make more matches, so you end up stuck using the magnifying lens, which while it never degrades (except through mauling) can only light fires outdoors during sunny, calm weather, which becomes rarer and rarer as time goes on. Even tools are infinite, since coal and scrap metal can always be found for forging new knives and axes, and other tools can be repaired using the repair kits, which can be repaired using scrap metal. The difficulty of maintaining equipment goes up over time as convenient caches are exhausted, but you never really lose the ability to.

Except for guns, those will run out entirely eventually, but hey, bow is still there for hunting needs.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 20, 2021

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

Is there not a metal firestriker you can repair the same way?

It can't be repaired; good for fifty uses, if you find it at 100% condition, then it poofs.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
So been playing Vintage Story, a very EA minecraft-like, but with a handful of mods (Expanded Foods for expanded foods, Primitive Survival for fishing and trap fences, and Wild Farming for a herb garden) and tweaked world settings it's closest I've had a game come to feeling like UnRealWorld but with, y'know, graphics. Still miles behind it of course, but still.

Slowly stocking up the cellar for winter and watching it's shelves and crates visibly fill has been super satisfying. As well as finally having real metal tools and a safe warm cabin and smithy instead of a messy fortified open air campsite in the middle of some ruins. Game also has some superb ambient soundwork and low-key music that fades in and out. But yeah, has allot of little fun tedious systems like pottery needing you to form the stuff out of miniblocks, cooking, food preservation, metallurgy, animal husbandry, crop rotation, having to actually bang hot ingots into the tool shape manually on the anvil using miniblocks again, tannery, putting an entire forest inside a charcoal pit and letting that simmer for a week.

Not much of a fan of the non-animal enemies tho, weird little midget Quake shamblers and rustyrobospiders in the underground. Also some kinda system where you can get sent to a shadow realm if you gently caress about in 'unstable' areas too much? And the curse of miniblocks; that's too much power to give my perfectionist brain, I never get anything done cuz I'm too busy trying to make a section of wall look neat for a literal hour.

Might as well throw in the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAsc8_Srx-c

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 27, 2021

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Qubee posted:

How does Vintage Story handle walking you through that process? Is it ingame tips and help (like some sort of FAQ) or do you have to figure it out yourself? The number 1 thing that turned me off of MC Mods was the insanely detailed steps required but the lack of ingame help for it. Constantly alt tabbing to read a wiki is frustrating at best.

It has a wip in-game guidebook that provides some very basic on-boarding for some key systems, a simple progression guide and also functions as an object search and crafting guide: like minecraft mod's ubiquitous NEI; every item/object you can make has an entry that's just an extremely basic "used for x, made from y, crafted in z" but you can click the 'y' or 'z' or 'x' item and see what that's made from and so on and so forth so you can figure out how to make anything from the ground up using it or figure out what a thing can be used for all the way up to final end-product, albeit inconveniently.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
The funnest pvp in Ark was when they first added diseases before peeps figured out stockpiling and distributing the cure and suddenly even the lowliest newb had the power to cough on someone and absolutely ruin their day. Widespread panic for like a week. Small clans could do biological warfare against the alpha clans with tactical dodo drops and literally cause schisms in them cuz nobody wanted to get sick and the ill would be banished. And the new players would mostly be left alone by the alpha players for the same reason, going to the beaches to gank newbies is allot less of a free thing to do when they can infect you.

But it's no longer a real thing since I believe the disease was nerfed and every big clan will have a stockpile of cure just in case.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Travic posted:

How is Stationeers these days? I'm looking for a survival game in space. I like the idea of building a base on a hostile planet where I have to manage making Oxygen and food and eventually travel to other planets in ships that I build.

Stationeers is really good, but as others have said, the main survival challenges are engineering ones rather than more traditional stuff. Tho they recently added food spoilage so food can more easily go wrong at least. But yeah, you still gotta worry about food and water and air, but solving those problems is generally a matter of, well, engineering and logistics rather than flat acquisition or basic refinement. If you think you'd enjoy roleplaying a plumber/electrician stuck in space, you'll prolly like it.

I really like playing on Vulcan, since you gotta avoid going out in the day since it gets way too loving hot out and will cook you alive, and combust allot of things if you leave them outside, so for the first few days you've got to crack open all the doors in your base to cycle that refreshing, cool 120'c night air in before you get a heat exchange and radiator setup. But the benefit is that for a brief window during midday you can prime the furnace to smelt steel and a few other alloys without the need for fuel by pumping in the external atmosphere, which was a fun task to partially automate. Needed a series of small, un-insulated pre-fill tanks to get the pressure high enough during the window; couldn't use big tanks since they'd hold the "cold" from the night too well and miss the window.

Also the devs have a monthly update schedule that they almost never miss and is usually a moderate content chunk at least, which is kinda refreshing for an EA game.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Stationeers also had The Best Bug for awhile. When you die, your body eventually gets deleted and spawns a skeleton, but they forgot to make the new skeleton not also have a countdown timer to spawn a skeleton (but not delete itself), so for a very brief period of time before they fixed it, once you died it was only a matter of time until you were crushed under the weight of infinite, exponential skeletons.

Also yeah, it's had allot of UI and usability improvements since the early days, once you get used to the weird hand poo poo it's way faster, but you can now bypass it by just clicking and dragging stuff, even from the world, into your hand slots (or any other inventory slot) if you need to. It super makes changing batteries and other internal item components much simpler and less of a juggling act.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Major Isoor posted:

What I'm wondering though, is has anyone tried the beta update? If so, does it work well with existing saves, or does it assume that you'll start a new game for it? Since I wouldn't mind new features (sadly he hasn't implemented the animal droppings for tracking I suggested to him a while back - hopefully it'll happen in the next 20-30 years! :v:) however if it's gonna interfere with my current game, I'll go without

This is only second hand from having someone streaming the new update on as background noise, but it updates your stuff forward for the new content afaik. For example, all fishing rods you have will automatically get an iron hook attached to them.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

HelloSailorSign posted:

I managed to create a bit of an automated pulverizer using hoppers, an elbow chute, and a chest, which has been a huge efficiency improvement. I've been having problems though trying to use a large gear to make a complicated mess of a mechanized system where I could have my pulverizer, helve hammer, and quern all hooked up and ready to use (with brakes to keep them from using power when not needed), but I just can't get enough power out of the large gear to run the helve hammer or pulverizer even when a single axle/angled gear set up works. I guess that's the whole, "large gear to small gear" problem, but I'm not sure how to fix that.

Put power into the large gear via a small gear and take it back out with small gears if your trying to split the power train in multiple directions. If your directly spinning the big gear by it's axle the system will generally not have enough torque to handle anything past a small Archimedes screw stack, unless you're powering it via multiple windmills during a storm. I generally completely ignore the axle on the big gear and that's done me favors in building power systems.

Also figuring out you can chain angled gears together was useful for needing to make one block adjustments.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 23, 2021

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I've always hated the combat in Space Engineers, mainly because everything feels overtuned. It's almost always over in five seconds and those five seconds can represent hours of work being vaporized. And don't get me started on how loving bad on foot combat is, those dlc campaigns they added are cool, if not for the fact that every turret in them can 2-3 shot you, instantly fires as soon as you come into view, fire like 50 shots a second and are extremely bullet spongy.

I usually played with mods to make ship weapons significantly less damaging and armor stronger so combat can actually last a perceivable amount of time and 10x'ing player health so I could actually tell I was being shot at before I died, and it still felt bad.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

VegasGoat posted:

Stationeers it's been almost 4 years and it's still beta and full of bugs.

I've been keeping an eye on stationeers cuz it's extremely my kinda game and it's been getting a small, but chunky update every single month since it released without fail, save for one month in the middle of the height of the pandemic. And the only bugs I've ever really noticed that have stuck around are ladders murdering you if they don't have enough clearance at the top and bottom, and advanced airlock monitors not slaving other monitors correctly.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Umbreon posted:

Once I prospect pick an area and find a metal I want
Prospecting is for after you have a toolmaking supply of materials, before then search for surface deposits, as you need to do allot of mining. Build a camp and have several picks ready to go.

You should always find the highest local point for the material your looking for, keep prospecting new chunks until the % stops going up, then as others said dig down and make exploratory shafts. Do note that certain materials will only generate in certain rock types, so if the first type of rock is not the type it can generate in (you can check these in the help menu), you know you have to dig until it changes to one it can.

Most ore veins, save for tin, are gently caress-off huge. You can actually build like, a real mine. Server I played on for awhile had a communal copper mine that never tapped out despite six players using it, became a real maze of tunnels though, charcoal marking the way back to the exit was a job. But yeah, once you find a good deposit, your pretty much set for that material going forward. Except tin.

The node search propick mode is extremely useful and significantly increases your chances of finding junk.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

BrianRx posted:

Please tell me that death is permanent and your save is wiped.

Nope, but you CAN gently caress poo poo up enough that your only recourse is to start a new game; hardest difficulty respawns you naked so if you've not set a spawn flag up inside or at least next to a crate of spare gear you can get stuck in a death-loop, especially on the harder planets. Mid difficultly at least spawns you in a lovely emergency suit that gives you enough time to run back inside.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
So been playing Card Survival: Tropical Island, which sounds like a shovelware game I know, but is made by the same guy that did Card Quest, which same problem, but was a great roguelike and this new game has been a pretty decent survival experience from my poking at it, albeit with an odd presentation and massive abstraction. It's giving me some weird nostalgia for something I can't quite put my finger on too...

Main loop of the game is don't die, keep fed, watered, rested and sane, and eventually build a raft and escape back to civilization, which is not instant and sailing on your raft is the end game, rather than the game end. Currently water feels a bit too hard to manage and random injuries from just exploring certain zones suck especially since treating them takes forever and absolutely fucks both your turn economy and food consumption. And it's still in EA so is very much the skeleton of a game.

Is run based and has meta-progression in the form of unlockable starting traits (every day survived earns you a 'sun', every month a 'moon'), sun traits tend to be basic innate things like simple debuffs or buffs or starting with a decent skill score in a specific skill and moon traits tend to be more game-changing, like instead of you being stranded your a survival show host lol, or it never rains, or you spawn in a crashed plane far in-land instead of on the beach, or be a horrible sea monster come to shore to nest, which is actually one of the preset builds and stupidly hard. Traits can be good or bad and there is no limit to what ones you can use once unlocked, so it's more about tailoring what kinda experience you want than actual progression.

Card Quest was a real good game for me, so yeah, am excited to see what this looks like better fleshed out even if it's a hell of strange genre combo.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

So how far under should I be looking? I actually did luck into a premade copper pick from an urn in a ruins so I was able to make a prospecting pick, too. Do you just dig more or less straight down from wherever you found the nugget? Is doing this even without a propick viable? Because I've sampled the nearby stone and not found any copper, but maybe I just need to trust it.

E: It was this. Just dug straight down from where I found those nuggets and eventually hit a thin, disc-shaped deposit of native copper. Prospector's pick in node mode didn't say there was anything, but I guess my range is only 4 so maybe not a great indicator to begin with.

Yeah, that's a surface deposit. They are only tiny to small, but one or two will usually give you enough material to make enough picks for some real mining. Do note that, as you've seen, surface deposits like that are non-indicative of a bigger deposit deeper; they are their own independent things and don't show up in the propick prospecting results afaik.

As said, you should always find the highest local peak using the propick first before starting your main shaft. For copper, you can hit 60-70% on the upper-end for more copper than you'll ever need, but ~30% is solid enough to be worth it if that's what you peak at. And you can still get dud shafts, which sucks, but that's life.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 24, 2022

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

As long as I'm getting the newbie run-through, a few more assorted questions:

No direct benefit to forging over casting, tho if you've gotten quite good at forging it's much faster to crank out a single thing when you need it right now, doesn't take as long for the metal to heat up as it does to melt, and you can bang out simple stuff quicker than a cast can cool. Also convenience for being able to keep stacks of ingots lying around.

And yeah, drifters are absolutely the worst part of the game, I'm cool with the other enemy types cause they actually interesting visually and mechanically but drifters are just... ugh. Not fun.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
The thing I hate the most about is the really really aggressive colour correction that certain regions have. loving INEXPLICABLE REDZONE past the crashed ship in the big deserty area, Orangesand zone, Mt. Dew Caves, THE GODDAMN DAYFORNIGHT STONES. The only one that kinda works and doesn't feel loving terrible is the sulfur fields, because constant fog effects, but even then, it turns the loving moon and other planet in the sky neon green while your there. I don't know why this is what infuriates me most, but it is. I hate it. So much.

But yeah, it's basically a clicker game. I can see it having SOME promise if development continues, since the bugreporter claims this is an extremely early alpha, but the free oxygen and auto-transmit power kinda ruins some of the fun currently and that may just be how it be.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
My main issue with the wireless electricity is the unlimited range. If it was just a base and it's local environs powered wireless that'd be cool, ideal even than having to make some kinda connection from each provider/consumer, but it just, feels weird to be able to poo poo out a base on the other side of the planet and not have to build any kind of local power for it. I don't even use the oxygen bottles since I can just make a quick hab module and door then step inside and be filled up.

I'd like it to be tied into the satellite system, and then beaming power up/down from bases. You get the same global power pool in the end, but with a bit more work and flavor.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Would anyone suggest sticking with vanilla or modding to start with? I'm getting a little frustrated with trying to craft a mining ship that doesn't blow up the moment I bore something out. I think I need to move up to large grid and see if that helps as less things to go wrong, only bigger.

Go with modded, the game has allot of issues that modded fixes. Notably the AI and encounter mods will make the game world come alive and can give you real threats and challenges if you want. Or just more flavour. The 'Modular Encounters System' has become the standard framework for these mods and it's page is a good jumping off point to find them, there are allot of many flavours, from just the occasional derelict building added in to entire factions.

If you want more things to worry about and solve from a technical standpoint, 'Eat. Drink. Sleep. Repeat' + 'Plant And Cook' are my preferred needs mod combo. 'Industrial Overhaul' complexifies stuff and makes actual production chains a thing.

I also strongly recommend a mod to modify damage values and drastically increase player health if combat is still way too quick and swingy; I haven't played since before the recent combat refactor they did, but old vanilla always had the problem of your ship that you spent hours building can evaporate before you even realize your being shot at. And outside of ships an interior turret can kill you before you even realize it's there as well.
Always blueprint your poo poo before you go anywhere with it is just sound advice modded or vanilla that I never remember to do.

Tons of block mods out there, I'm a big fan of the 'Grated Catwalks Expansion' and 'AQD - Reinforced Windows', they find there way into almost every build I ever do.

And hell of look for scripts for the scripting block too, there's some really useful and cool stuff, well over half my workshop subscriptions are just scripts. And that's technically vanilla.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
There are also a handful of challenge modes that just play like survival, albeit with some twists, but give you a goal that ends the game, and sometimes a time limit to accomplish such.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, vintage story is pretty rad, tho I've not been keeping tabs on it for a bit, last time I played was when they added pies, have they made combat any better? Drifters loving sucked and the game would be better with their removal last I played.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I always found the spider things in the caves perfectly fine, they glow so you can see them coming, make nests so they feel 'natural' and are cool and can climb walls and poo poo. The drifters are just, There, and the stronger variants of them are just loving stupid when it takes So Much Work to make proper armor and they can shred it exceptionally quickly. And they look dumb.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

power crystals posted:

Also the game really needs a built-in solar system generator.

Modding recently covered that with the Star System Generator mod, I've been playing around with it for the past few days. It works really well and is fairly painless! It can generate entirely random systems pulling planets and junk from vanilla and whatever mods you have, or you can tailor make one using chat commands. Someone made a Nice Guide for those.

You just create a new empty world with only the generation mod and any planet mods you want loaded, do the generation, then exit out, remove the generation mod, add in your usual mods you use and it's good to go.
Can handle making planets, putting moons around planets, adding a star at 0,0,0 , giving planets asteroid rings, adding asteroid chains/trails of arbitrary length near planets and creating nebula if you have the nebula mod also installed. Can also support making planets any drat size you want, instead of the vanilla 10-120km constraints. Great for adding gas giants that are actually giant or microplanets that are barely bigger than an asteroid. Buncha options to tweak to change how it spaces and places things too.

Only issue I really have with it at the moment is if you generate a system and don't like how it rolled alignment wise, regenerating it will obliterate any asteroids that generated normally. Meaning if I still want random space asteroids not part of a belt or chain I have to do it in one. But I don't really see a way for it to not do that so whatever.

The steam workshop has been absolutely hosed for me for the past week, constantly showing 'there are no results that match your criteria' when I drat well know the planets category ain't empty, meaning I can't easily find any good planet mods. If anyone knows a good desertlike planet with weather but low oxygen please send it to me I'm desperate.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, unless you have an item you get from beating the game, enemy attacks on your base in The Forest will only ever steadily increase over time, quickly becoming untenable. This combined with the ease at which certain enemies can absolutely wreck your structures (tree forts are heck of cool but one whack from a big boy and the tree and everything in it is gone) means the ideal way to build is to have several tiny camps scattered around the island, and only spend a night or two at each before moving to another to let them 'cool down'. There are a few locations where you can safely build a huge camp, small islands and such, and that one sparsely wooded hill seems to almost never get attacked, but they are rather inconvenient resources wise.

That and the survival aspects of The Forest are a joke. Infinite respawning birds to eat that literally fly in a conga line to your spearpoint. It's more built around having a pile of stuff to burn through while you explore certain locations to add that ticking clock than actually having any difficulty in sustaining yourself at home.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
So, playing Vintage Story again, and I used to run a mod/s that made it so that your basic tools required twine to craft and that dirt would drop in chunks instead of blocks, and there was a whole process to reclaiming dirt for use in farms and stuff that I really liked, and trees required more maintenance to grow (I enjoy masochistic tedium in games if you didn't guess), but I can't seem to find them again at all. Like, not even a hint or severely outdated/abandoned thread on the forums, it's enough that I'm questioning whether they were real at this point.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Inadequately posted:

It's a slow period at work and there's not a lot of people in the office, so I have a lot of free time. What's a relatively light, preferably turn-based survival game I can hop in and out of relatively quickly? My usual go-to games for that are Unreal World and Cataclysm DDA/BN, but I've been playing those on and off for years and I've gotten a little bored of them.

I'd recommend Card Survival: Tropical Island, I've brought it up in thread before as a promising upstart, albeit with weird and very abstracted presentation and gameplay. I don't know why it's marketed as a card game cuz it's not, at all, it's just a weird aesthetic for your inventory/location.

It's had allot of content added to it with bi-weekly updates and is a pretty solid little survival game now, even if they are still finding the balance. Your stranded on a tropical island and have to survive to either establish a self-sufficient long term home and accept your fate, or escape on a raft and get rescued. Has farming, animal husbandry (still early functionality on that), extensive crafting and inventory management and getting hurt is a big deal.

More unique features of it I feel are: it doesn't end when you escape the island, you gotta survive on your raft till rescue which is a whole ordeal and learning how to raft good before finally setting off, as well as stocking and planning for the trip is really cool. And it goes pretty heavy into managing your mental health as a thing, which is rare in survival games, balance on that is still being worked tho. Making monkey friends is cool.

Metaprogression is unlocking traits to play with that can drastically increase/decrease difficulty, add weird gimmicks, fast track your start, effectively harden/soften features your (not) a fan of, or change your spawn location, all of which are optional and have almost no limitations to how you can mix and match them, make things as miserable or as easy as you want. Don't like grinding a specific skill up, just take a trait to make you start with it at a high level. Unlock points are simply gained for how many days/months you survive, banked on death/victory.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 8, 2022

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
A shame, but understandable. I found it through the dev's last game, card quest, which had the exact same problem of looking like absolute poo poo but actually being fairly intricate and enjoyable if you can get past that, so was more willing to ignore the weird design out the gate. It's definitely... an acquired taste, haha.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, making a trek to the tropics and coming back with souvenirs was a great experience on a small server I played on for a bit. And being able to accent my house with Rare Rocks from Distant Lands to flex of my more sedentary neighbors was amusing. Could also then trade them rare rocks, which are only rare cuz of the massive distance to them.

For solo play I shrink the world a bit, but yeah, servers massively benefit from the huge distances between stuff I feel; tho easier/earlier methods of spawn setting and distant travel would be welcome regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
An important note at least, is once you find a real non-surface deposit, they are loving absurdly huge. As in, you can build a proper mine huge. More than enough to set you up for a very, very long time in most cases. Server I played on had one communal copper mine near the main village and it never ran dry between the eight people using it; drat thing became labyrinthian and we set up a charcoal marking system for navigation. Everytime we thought we had finally exhausted it we broke into another vein. I actually strongly prefer it to the Ore Is Peppered Everywhere that most other games do.