Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

Every shut up, here's the true King of Video Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZOd2rzn1H4

That's definitely a fan-made project saying they're bringing a "real" pro wrestling game back. Ambitious update to the AKI engine most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Broke into Legendary tier finally and got my guaranteed drop - Stone Cold. He may be upper mid-pack and not super top tier but it's loving Stone Cold, so yaaaaay

Also have one Pro Epic and another set to level up. Now I'm back to hoping to find a UR or higher Diva sometime soon.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

incredible bear posted:

Started playing Supercard after a 2 week hiatus, instantly addicted again. Not sure about the falling leaves. Why do we think Pairs in the KOTR Final are disappearing? Has that been said somewhere official? Makes no sense, because then why would you even bother entering KOTRs realistically?

There have been tweets and comments from the developers talking about rebalancing the game and rewards specifically. Belief here is that Exhibition drops will get better and there won't be a pair for just getting to KOTR finals.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

smashpro1 posted:

They added a whole bunch of managers. I've gotten Heyman, Hart, Mr. Fuji, and Lana.

Reading through, it also looks like there's Heenan and Paul Bearer too. Kinda cool.

[Edit] looks like the Survivor tier has about 20 more cards than Legendary tier and, though I didn't go count them all, there's a fair few more Divas in there now too. There's some making their Supercard debut too. Also, a couple older legends getting in too (if I get one in particular he'll be my Supercard champ forever and ever).

harperdc fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 26, 2014

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Devo posted:

Some of the cards they put into the Survivor tier are hilarious. Can't wait to pull a Survivor Jack Swagger or Rosa Mendes!

But on the other hand, survivor Rowdy Roddy Piper :allears:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Where do you get these freebie survivor cards from? Or do you need to be at a certain rank to get them or what?

Freebie being "the one you're guaranteed to get for joining the tier". Others are being drawn from Exhibition wins. If that's the case it bodes well for me in Legendary now.

Also whoever keeps pulling Divas like CM Punk needs to send that mojo this way, I'm still on the pro ladder Paige.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I hope this new mode is being rolled out in 6 months or something... sure would have been nice to know this before I fed all my UR Pros away!

Also they better raise the total amount of cards you can have:argh:

They already did, up to 110.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Big Shirt

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh my god, Supercard. How fast will this Christmas overlay get changed?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Something amuses me that this is the version of Fit Finley they went with

Looks like an Irish version of Hiroyoshi Tenzan in the game.

[Edit] I haven't really played SuperCard since the update that added winter effects to the cards and broke KOTR. I tried one time, but it's not the same. They'd only get me back if that Super Sized KOTR gives rewards like old KOTR used to.

Tl;dr bring back old KOTR.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 21, 2014

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

2K14 still has a much better roster and single-player mode than 2K15 as well. And for much cheaper to boot.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I can't wait to play the new Fire Pro when it comes out on PS4.

And a month later, once good versions of all the real wrestlers you want are up for download.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Quasipox posted:

I really want to get FPW on PS4, but I can't seem to find any info on if there will be anyway to "copy" saves so I can get edits on there. It worked like a charm on FPR on PS3, but i'm guessing with the way the PS4 is set up that won't be possible.

Is...is it possible?

All that the devs have said about the PS4 version is that "it's coming." Nothing else about features or integration. Nothing about release date.

I would imagine they allow you to copy and get saves from USB (it's what Pro Evo Soccer allows on PS4), or they may have sharing built in ala the WWE 2K games (less likely), but I don't think the PS4 version will go without that functionality.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

They actually mentioned the PS4 version in the Twitch chat.

Until this there has been nothing on their blog or in press. (Which, hey, not complaining and understand how they're approaching it. The Steam early access version is a big deal, especially for an established dev in Japan).

Glad to hear they're working on the features though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

super macho dude posted:

It upsets me to no end that Japanese game studios have given up on making puro games.

An NJPW game in the style of Giant Gram would be amazing. Or Syn Sophia needs to get off its rear end and finally make VPW3

...Fire Pro is Japanese, and the 2K games are still done by Yukes in Japan, no?

But yeah I think that's more a casualty of the puro bubble bursting a bit, and games moving from consoles where Japanese devs had enough resources and skill to make excellent titles, to consoles that required bigger teams and HD assets. That's broken so many devs in Japan it's not even funny.

But with New Japan and wrestling in Japan in general back in the consciousness and getting popular again, I'd love for somebody to make a good NJPW game that could be on both, say, Switch and PS4. Besides Fire Pro, of course.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Kim Justice's review of FPW also covers some of the history of the series, and how its fortunes have been linked to that of pro wrestling in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQHQmMeDyCE

A good opportunity to play the "which Japanese wrestler entrances make up the BGM" game as well.

Guess it's time to plug the PS3 in and wait patiently for the PS4 release.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

I can't remember if it was those ones or the King of Colosseum games, but they were either 3D Fire Pro games or Here Comes the Pain style wrestling games. So I'd say yes.

King of Colosseum were made by Spike and are licensed with all of the wrestlers/companies you'd want to see. It's pretty drat good and shouldn't be hard to track down.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Testekill posted:

Gonna be microtransactions in 2K19.

Take Two (aka 2K) had an investor report a couple days ago and the long and short is they’re making a substantial amount from loot boxes and various micro transactions. GTA, NBA 2K games and even WWE Supercard.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

New Japan integration in the story mode as well—the screenshot online says you can create a new wrestler and build them into IWGP champion, joining factions along the way (with an image of Gedo saying "You want to join CHAOS?! But the level is different, you twerp!").

Looks like it's not just wrestlers, the ring and mat design is licensed and accurate, as well as the ringside areas. Wonder if that means they'll have Dome/Korakuen/Osaka Castle Hall/small show setups licensed with NJPW. They're also showing off entrances (I'm not watching a stream, just Lariato's twitter feed) so I wonder if the music will be licensed.

the English tweet makes me hope they're also including all of this for the releases outside Japan, but it's all saying "PS4" so far so not sure it'll come to Steam as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

Maybe they're planning for the PS4 release to be global? Bestill my beating heart...

so their Spike/Chunsoft Fire Pro account tweeted that out in English, with the Japanese title card including all the NJPW logos and wrestlers. It does have the Steam logo, but it says PS4版 aka "PS4 Edition" soooo.

I think it'll be global, but I'm not as convinced the licensed stuff will make it to the Steam version. Still a possibility.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Kins posted:

The director has tweeted that it'll come to the Steam version in some form around the same time as the PS4 release.
https://twitter.com/tomozou_kantoku/status/948468944578293761

I didn’t see that yesterday but yeah it confirms the Steam version will get a New Japan DLC pack. Glad it’s coming to both versions.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Do the marks at chunsoft think that people will buy this on ps4

Give me booking mode marks

Yes, because I don’t have a way to run it on computer.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

2018 August 9

Best of the Super Juniors tour is sponsored by Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, and these signs (the large black one says "Sorry to keep you waiting" 待たせたな) were on NJPW's Japanese twitter earlier this evening. One of which is a poster with the above date.

Whether that's Japan only or worldwide for the release date, we shall see.

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/997412309239611392

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Little Kazu got them longboys

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah the one issue I have with the Fighting Road stuff is it's specifically about being in NJPW, which obviously is a very good promotional tie-in, but I'd like to have it so that you start in some wrestling school, fight in crappy venues and try to stand out, so that you hopefully get called by one of the big boys.

right but coming in through a tryout and becoming a Young Boy is literally how most Japanese major wrestlers come in, especially to New Japan. So a Japanese developer working hand-in-hand with the biggest Japanese wrestling company as an official partner and licenser is going to highlight that official path.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Drakkel posted:

Has anyone tried the Switch version? I usually PC but playing on the go is pretty tempting.

I'll be playing there, the review on a Switch-specific website said it's 30 FPS instead of 60 (eh, if it's locked that's fine...) but that some of the graphics get a bit muddier on handheld. Wonder how bad that could be with the OLED. But that it still plays alright overall.

I'm also more likely to play it handheld than want to fire the Xbox up, so hopefully it doesn't run too poorly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shard posted:

This is it. I will support this game a ton if it has the amount of quality of life updates and dlc as say something like fall guys or no mans sky. If they try to make me buy the game over and over I'm out

I've never gotten the impression they want to annualize this, I think we might see a second shot announced a year from now (so 18-24 months between titles) at the absolute earliest. This is already on the new consoles, so long as they can update it there's plenty to improve on.

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

this is where the game shines the most for me: everyone I've played feels radically different and the game expects you to play them like they wrestle. the WWE games always struck me as lacking in that; choosing different wrestlers just seemed like picking what animations happened for what button presses, with mild differences in how quickly they moved.

I've played with Orange Cassidy, Adam Cole and Eddie Kingston and they feel very different, you have to keep in mind the approach each takes. Might have to try Rey Fenix or Sammy to see how a real flyer goes in the game.

also whatever weird graphical issue or resolution thing they've done on the in-match graphics on Switch, they need to figure that out soon, because it's real weird to go from like "nice HD on the OLED" in handheld mode for the menus and videos to then seeing the in-match characters look extremely 480p.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I wish the game had the proud and powerful theme, and the Luther face paint, and 🤪👈

I went skimming through the music and I think one of the themes for Santana and Ortiz is in there, when people say Mikey Rukus copied the library in there they mean it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Timby posted:

That's my concern with Embracer Group's ongoing disaster, because they're shuttering labels and studios left and right. Pretty much everyone who made Volition games great, for example, saw the writing on the wall when Embracer bought them five years ago and left for greener pastures.

In this case, though, THQ Nordic is just publishing - Yuke's did the development, and it's likely that AEW/Yuke's shopped to publishers and decided on THQN. Yuke's from what I can tell certainly hasn't been Embraced. So THQN is handling publishing details, taking their cut, but it's not the case that Yuke's is all of a sudden going to get shuttered. I think most of the chaos is on Embracer's internal studios anyways.

I still think planning on the game being markedly improved in a year is foolish, I think there's a chance it gets improved and probably a better chance the next game in ~2 years is much better.

It's still fun, it just reminds me of some of the Mario sports games that have come out in the Switch era - the gameplay is fun if limited, they were supported for new characters and some new modes after release, but a lot of the deeper stuff just isn't there. We'll see, a lot of the problems with AEW:FF are fixable, it just takes some time in the oven and assets to come in to the game. Additional things like more match types might take longer. We'll also see what this Stadium Stampede nonsense is as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m taking Adam Cole to RTE first to get a handle on it, then build a dumb CAW and go next.

CAWs need to go through to improve stats, and you get more stats on higher difficulty levels apparently.

OnimaruXLR posted:

This is a pretty insignificant complaint, but what is up with the DVD-quality video in this game? A concession for the switch version's filesize? These shows are filmed in HD aren't they???

It looks alright on the OLED :v: but it’s the in-game looking like it’s got Vaseline smeared on that sucks the most in handheld mode.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Playing online is completely rear end from where I live. The closest region to me is East Asia and it doesn't seem like anyone else plays the game on the Switch here, so to get a match I have to set the server to the Americas, which means extreme lag that renders the game unplayable.

You and me might be the only two goons in this situation, I haven’t set aside any online time though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I just remembered yesterday that I have the Switch version, and also the dumb genuine N64 wireless controller that Nintendo made for the Switch.

time to embrace tradition I think :thunk:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cavauro posted:

i get the feeling they were planning on using that mode to do the heavy lifting in advertising for the game but then it wasn't going to be done and they realized it would be terrible optics to push so hard for something that isn't even in the game at launch. if this is true it fits into why the hype window and release were pretty strange altogether compared to most games.

the licensing and rights for a certain Chick Magnet Punk may also have played a part, especially since he was supposed to be on the cover when the game was shown in more detail last year at GamesCom.

also Stadium Stampede would be a great use of Rumbleverse since that got taken down lock stock and barrel. doubtful since that'd be real fast to spin up, but hey. might be alright. will probably give it a try once or twice since I've already got Fight Forever anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Re: Mortal Kombat as opposed to a new Injustice, Ed Boon mentioned the time gap between games (MK 11 to the new one) looked inevitable even before COVID because they wanted to update tech, including the game engine. They figured it would be easier to go to a next MK instead of a long gap to Injustice and then still have to do MK. So I don’t think it was canceled, just put out of order.