Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I beat two Wardlows and a CM Punk with my created guy in the ranked online, it’s nice being able to play while everyone’s new

I like to pick them up again after the match and just hit them with a couple more finishers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I didn’t even see the day early thing when it was offered so being able to play today was just a nice surprise for me on PS5

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

So how does finishing a Road to... career work with Create-A-Wrestlers? I'm halfway through mine and am wondering if I'll be able to take my wrestler through a second time to finish leveling up his stats or if he's just going to have to live with whatever he gets from a single career. Any info on that out there from the crazy heads who're already done with theirs?

I just tested it with my guy since it didn’t take long to finish the first time.

If you start it again, the stats are reset forever from the looks of it. Once you get to the menus between events all the upgrades I bought previously are gone.

It makes sense, otherwise everyone would just grind out one perfect super wrestler instead of just picking Daniel Bryan Danielson in the first place.

I ran into a very annoying Malakai Black player, he kept doing this incredibly fast low kick that instantly tripped my guy over onto his face. Not sure what move it is, maybe I’ll do some stuff with Malakai tomorrow and see if I can find it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They don’t seem to, no.

It also means unless you play through it on the highest difficulties any created wrestler you make is hobbled, because you will end up with less points so less skill buys overall.

I finished up a normal difficulty play through and my guy had 52 stat skills, 8 action skills and 3 passive skills which puts me roughly on par with the actual roster ‘job guys’ as far as overall scope of abilities is concerned.

Compared to some actual roster characters from default:

Jobbers:
Scorpio Sky: 45 stat, 8 action, 7 passive
John Silver: 46 stat, 4 action, 8 passive

Main event guys:
Chris Jericho: 70 stat, 7 action, 22 passive
Kenny Omega: 80 stat, 9 action, 23 passive

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Theres ‘coins’ currency in the story mode where it’s used to buy power ups and any that you don’t spend at the end of the campaign gets converted into the ‘AEW cash’ you use to buy stuff in the unlockables shop. You earn the coins by winning matches and playing minigames, I didn’t feel like I was ever short and finished with tons left over.

For the ‘AEW cash’ there are the usual daily/weekly/forever challenges that give cash but I’m also seemingly drowning in it after one play through of story mode.

I unlocked Cody and Aubrey and the alternate gear sets for the bucks which were 5-20k each and I still have 215k right now.

All the remaining unlocks are 1-4k from the looks of it and eyeballing it I could probably buy most of them with what I have now.

Edit: gently caress it I’m gonna go on a buying spree and see how far I get

Edit edit: so with my 215k I bought the remaining extra gear set, all the CAW apparel, all the arena pieces, all the taunts, and made a little dent in the entrance things.

I have ~50 of those left to buy and they’re almost all 3500, so another 175k AEW cash would see me clear?

In total you can buy everything for like 500k I estimate, and I’m more than halfway there after one story mode and a little loving around in exhibition mode and a few ranked online matches.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 29, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Online mode is currently an endless parade of Kennys and when you lose it’s hard to tell if you’re losing because the other player is better or because Kenny’s got way higher stats and more of the passive skills that give buffs to momentum for doing different things than pretty much any other character.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I set up a com vs com tag title match against the bucks and the game is a better booker than Tony

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It doesn’t score com vs com matches otherwise it would have been a sure fire 7 star

I found out wrestlers in the women’s division are eligible for all the titles, so I set up a bunch of com vs com exploding barbed wire deathmatches just to see if miracles could happen and eventually

Edit: I just noticed it’s the tag team title on her shoulder (which she now also holds with herself sorry for the short reign Best Friends) rather than the TBS title, wonder how it decides which belts to include.

It looks like it at least prioritises the title that’s in contention, when she comes out for a tag team title match it’s the tag title around her waist not big plat

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 29, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Saucer Crab posted:

Sadly the Steam version doesn't seem to have Playstation button prompts, the controls are simple so it's not bad, just wish more games included them.

There was a brief period a few years ago where pretty much everything released on pc had ps button prompts as an option and then just as suddenly as they started being added they stopped again. It sucks.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Some of the character select models are hosed, and then their in-game models are fine. It’s weird as gently caress.

EdsTeioh posted:

How do you select alt attires?

Before I saw an option at character select on some wrestlers which let me choose from their regular attire and then the same options for everyone which consisted of a terrible black t-shirt over black trunks looking thing, or their normal attire made entirely out of gold.

I can’t find that option again now though so who knows!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah if you go into the teams menu so it puts Nick and Matt next to each other you can really see how bad it is.

Hopefully something they can just patch out, there are a few typos here and there too.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Every tag is basically already a tornado tag it’s just double team central constantly

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I haven’t seen a single other CAW in online yet, I’ve only seen people using

Kenny
Punk
Wardlow
Malakai

And a single match against a Rey Fenix

I blame the lack of options making all CAWs look jobber as gently caress

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol you can control the pyro for moxley but you can only see it off in the distance in one specific camera angle because he comes through the crowd

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

ALSO is the DLC stuff actually *out*? I have FTR but no HOOK or the baseball minigame.

I don’t think hook is out yet but the minigames are a different kind of confusing.

I’ve played a couple of different ones in RTE mode but only have a handful of completely different ones available in exhibition mode.

No idea how you’re meant to unlock the others or if they’re meant to be there already or what. Along with the mystery vanishing attire option there seem to be a lot of holes in the game…

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They have Malakai’s creaky entrance animation in the store but no confirmation as to whether or not it’s suitably creaky

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kennel posted:

Do they do anything?

Sometimes they get weapons out and throw them in the ring, I had Starks with me in a RTE match and he kept doing it despite it not being a lights out match

Dude is a terrible manager

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just mash the gently caress out of every button as fast as you can

I just got matched with a Wardlow who did nothing but spam a fast clothesline that instantly knocked me down until I managed to get a counter in and grapple him to death, there seem to be a few weird moves that guarantee a knockdown with no kind of wind up

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pylons posted:

Before I take this CAW through RTE and get my rear end handed to me, once you finish it, can you take it back through and reallocate the skill points you get to it?

I tried it yesterday just to see what happens and if you load them into it again they start over with no stat points.

I dunno what happens at the end of the campaign on run 2 (whether you just get to keep the new stats and that’s a re-allocation all of its own, or if you can combine the two, or some mystery third option) because I didn’t feel like doing it over with the same guy right away, but thankfully just loading into the mode seemingly doesn’t make the stat reset permanent because when I backed out and started with another person my original guy had all his stats back.

The fact you get more stat points depending on what you do and the difficulty you play on makes it more complicated than just “finish RTE to get your stats”

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Well yeah it’s a random draw, do you even watch the show?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I had him as an opponent in a gauntlet match at some point but he didn’t get unlocked or anything so I guess that wasn’t the route that does that

He was too big for me to lift him so half my moves just ended in my guy giving up and grabbing at his back in pain

Very authentic

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Any taunt upgrades signature to finisher, you don’t have to use a special one :confused:

Unless you just mean taunts take too long, in which case no

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

polish sausage posted:

yeah i dont get it, so are there aew wrestlers that do springboards by default if you cant spend the skill points to unlock them??

Yeah from memory if you go into the options from the main menu there’s a section called wrestler info or something like that, you can select any wrestler and see what skills they have available by pressing whatever button it tells you is ‘list skills’ on your platform.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

How the heck do I do a suicide dive???

Need to have the tope skill, which also tells you which buttons to press (x+square I think)

Efb

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s exactly what I expected it would be, which is a fun wrestling game that’s also pretty barebones because it’s not an annualised entry in an existing juggernaut of a franchise that’s got decades of development behind it.

The only thing that really surprised me was the price being way up there instead of at the lower AA end of the scale, but I guess it’s 2023 and everything costs more now.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve only had one real bug so far playing online, where we went through a little chain of reversals and the physics broke, leaving me running in place against the ropes while the other player whiffed every attempt at hitting me

They eventually went up to the top turnbuckle and did a dive at me which popped me back into the ring

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

FTR is in already, the rest is TBD

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have no idea what wrestling game could have caused it but I always want to press circle to grapple even though I know that’s run

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

i need someone to do a movelist for Shinsuke because I'm lazy and don't want to make anyone likely to get added as dlc down the road

Not sure you have anything to worry about on that front

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

dromal phrenia posted:

i really haven't gone outside this thread to see reviews or anything, but the critic response here is weird in that the scores seem fair but only in a world where game reviewers actually score games from 0-100. I thought 'game is fun but lacking in many features that players will expect' was in the realm of an 80 for inflated game scores? Or does that only apply to releases from certain studios?

That’s only for AAA releases where reviewers have to play nice

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You draw the same card every time it’s rigged, unlike the real event which is definitely random

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m about 50/50 against omegas now with my CAW, feels good

I got one who was showing a 9-0 record and absolutely clowned on him which felt pretty good about becoming the 1 in 9-1, must have been having an off match because the dude got nowhere

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Look they have all the camo you could ever ask for AND trash bag pants the CAW suite is basically complete

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The minigames are whatever, I can’t imagine they took up that much valuable development time

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t think it’s beyond your control though.

If you’ve let the other guy kick your rear end bad enough first then you’ll get pinned. If you haven’t, then you won’t.

The lack of a little meter to tell you if you’re going to make it or not is irrelevant, because it’ll still depend on how much of a whooping you took in the lead up to the pin.

I don’t mind not having a meter because it’s a nice surprise if I do kick out.

What does need a little more work is submissions, because it’s not really clear how they interact with the ‘have you kicked the other guy’s rear end enough yet’ system. The game tells you that you’re doing damage to particular areas with every move so maybe the submission success is based on how much damage you’ve done to an area, but that’s much harder to keep track of than just “have I beat the poo poo out of them and then hit an impact finisher”.

I’ve got a submission finish set and sometimes it takes 3-4 attempts with it before the other person taps out, compared to an almost guaranteed pinfall off a regular finisher.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 1, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

In which case the suspense argument falls apart because you wouldn't be able to kick out dramatically to make a comeback then.

No it doesn’t, because it’s still a surprise if you kick out and you can then go on to mount your comeback?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JSmithOTI posted:

Having a great time with the game so far and I'm really digging how varied a lot of the wrestlers feel from one another. Like a lot of other folks already said the custom stuff is very bare bones with the exception that there's a million different moves to choose from in an unsortable list... Oh well, gameplay keeps me coming back.

Rando picking my wrestler vs computer CM Punk is my go-to process for grinding out exhibition matches to eventually unlock Owen. (I think that's how it works?)

One weird thing: I definitely did a 3-way ladder match in the story mode but I can't figure out if that's an actual option for exhibition? Super frustrating.

But one thing that I did on the side was go through the story mode with Punk and lose every match. Got injured on the battle royale and never went to the hospital, worked out, nor did any of the city-specific stuff. 10/10 experience

The story mode has a few match types that aren’t otherwise available from the looks of it, like the gauntlet matches it throws you into occasionally

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No that’s just the Scorpio Sky Experience

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Not sure what part of that is meant to be a revelation, it makes obvious sense that it should be harder to kick out if you’ve taken more damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you’re going to make a CAW at all you’ll need to play it through RTE anyway to get it stats and skills, so might as well do that.