Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

bassguitarhero posted:

Fromfacebook:

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well that quote was from 1904, so just under a decade before Woodrow "Birth of a Nation was history writ with lightning" Wilson gets elected president so hardly that out of the ordinary. Or were you bugging out over that someone would, in 2014, post it (presumably) unironically?

nope just "whoa that's some unbelievable racism"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

could someone tell me why the cops needed to identify her still if her husband was free to go? if they concede her husband is not a john, then how can they suspect she's a prostitute. if her husband is not charged with whatever you get charged with for having sex in public, how could she be?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

wateroverfire posted:

Nobody was charged with anything. The cops rolled up and were like "Hey, we got this report about you guys, what's up with that?" and her husband was like "I'm Lucas and here's my ID and she's my wife and didn't you see that Jamie Foxx movie? (I guess)" and they were like "Ok cool we're going to verify this story because every john we've ever busted says that." and when they asked for her ID she wouldn't give it to them and walked off. So they cuffed her and put her in the back of the car until they could figure out who she was, and then both of them were free to go.

they no longer had any reason to suspect her of prostitution, so how was it legal to hold her for identification considering california law requires they have reasonable suspicion she committed a crime?

amanasleep posted:

To be fair, having his ID but not hers doesn't prove they are married to each other. Of course, since LAPD claims that they did not have suspicion of prostitution, this is irrelevant.

they don't need to prove they're married in this case. by letting the husband go early, the police proved they no longer believed he was a john, and without a john, they have no reasonable reason to believe she's a prostitute. also, where did the LAPD deny the claim they stopped her on suspicion of being a prostitute?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

amanasleep posted:

Here is the recent news report.

Also, LAPD posted this:

So their view is that the officer determines when detention under reasonable suspicion ends.

allowing "reasonable" to be defined by the officer makes the term worthless

hope this actress sues and gets even more money to roll in

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

you're really my black friending it up

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

temple posted:

I'm black

oddly enough, being black doesn't mean you aren't my black friending

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Guy Fleegman posted:

Interesting.

oddly enough, mlk met a very similar fate while preaching nonviolence

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

SedanChair posted:

If you saw a kid pull a gun out of his waistband what would you think? In a split second.

That the kid is putting people and himself in danger and I need to recover the gun from him by talking to him? I mean, what are the chances he's actually out to murder me or anyone else?

Condiv fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 23, 2014

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Mirthless posted:

Pubescent adolescents are fully capable of committing violent crimes. Just in the last few months a twelve year old in Michigan stabbed a nine year old to death, a twelve year old in florida murdered a hobo, and a twelve year old girl in Wisconsin attempted to murder another girl she knew to appease an internet meme. I would never ask somebody to gamble with their life in a confrontation with somebody who has a lethal weapon, even if it turns out after the fact that the lethal weapon was just a very convincing replica.

Yes it could happen, but according to the justice department 0.5% of homicides are perpetuated by children under the age of 14. So if you shoot first and ask questions later in this kind of situation you're a despicable cowardly shitbird that should be nowhere near a position of power like you have in the police force.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 23, 2014

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

theflyingorc posted:

I think, given the cop picture, that it's reasonable to assume until we get more information that she's on the pro-Brown side, though you are correct that there are other possbilities.

She bought the gun to defend herself against rioters. That's not really a pro-brown side thing. I think she is one of the counterprotestors.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Shaocaholica posted:

I was under the impression that they shot him because he was reaching for something in his pants, not because they warned him 3 times and then decided enough time had passed without raising his hands.

and? it was a 12 year old kid. his age group represents about 0.5% of the homicides in 2012. they're about the least deadly humans around

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Vaall posted:

Yeah the store owner was too busy trying to stop him stealing instead of calling the police.

too busy for all of 5 seconds? plus, it looks like brown paid in the video. plus his friend didn't get charged as an accomplice to robbery.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Shaocaholica posted:

Cops didn't know and were stupid enough to put themselves in a situation where it didn't matter.

cops didn't know kids and old people are the least likely people to commit a homicide? really? the people who have to deal with homicides more than almost anyone can't possibly notice that of all of the homicides they deal with a vanishingly small fraction of them are by kids (and an even smaller fraction of those are murder II or murder I)?

most normal people are aware that kids don't pose a serious homicidal threat to them even without the benefit of experience or knowledge of statistics.

i mean the only way the "he was reaching for the gun!!!!!" stuff works is if the cops literally believed the kid possessed murderous intent. you don't just execute someone cause they have bad gun ettiquette

Condiv fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 27, 2014

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Pohl posted:

His friend put a bunch of cigars back on the counter.
Something obviously happened, but since we won't have a trial, I doubt we will ever know what it was.

yeah, putting merchandise back on a counter doesn't show that a robbery happened. i've done it at stores before, and i certainly wasn't robbing them. as for why the clerk tried to block brown's exit, we don't know why, but there's plenty of explanations aside from robbery (like the clerk didn't check id, remembered, and brown didn't have any).

again, if brown stole the cigarellos, why wasn't his friend charged as an accomplice? just leaving the store and hanging around with someone who had robbed a gas station would be enough proof for the cops. plus wilson said brown's friend took the cigarillos for him while brown was beating wilson's face in, so again, accomplice to robbery.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Xandu posted:

Is the allegation here that his attorney would lie about his client's story?

i think his problem is that his attorney reportedly said it. maybe i'm too sensitive to weasel words in journalism nowadays, but that phrasing sounds off to me too

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

spacetoaster posted:

Agreed.

Okay, didn't the cop know about the robbery? My understanding from the timeline is that the call for the robbery and a description of brown went out over the radio and wilson heard it.

that's in question, because in the initial weeks the cops claimed wilson had no knowledge of the robbery. they changed their story after a couple of weeks and really didn't give an explanation.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jakcson posted:

Suspect admits to firing shots that struck two officers in Ferguson

If it wasn't for all the racism, this innocent African-American would not have been shooting at police officers from a car. He is the true victim, not those racist police officers.

Besides, he wasn't even trying to kill the police officers (as evidenced by their survival)... he was trying to murder someone else.

The police officers were said to have had their hands up, and there are claims that they asked Jeffrey Williams not to shoot them. The ironing is delicious.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Equine Don posted:

I think he may be lying.

why?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

zzyzx posted:

Admitting to targeting and killing a police officer in a capital-punishment state is generally a bad idea.

but he hasn't done anything of the sort? he claims he was trying to shoot a protestor that was trying to rob him and his shots killed neither of the officers.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Rent-A-Cop posted:

He claims he was trying to shoot a protester who had previously robbed or tried to rob him. Big difference.

would you like to post a source? cause I've been searching for more clarification of what the guy is claiming, and nothing i've seen indicates that

Condiv fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Sorry, forgot that wasn't in the article linked upthread.

So a local pastor says Williams told him that someone or some people who were at the protest had robbed him at some prior time. He left and then returned and fired several shots from his car into the crowd.

thanks for the link, at least we're now sure this is not just some twitter rumor

• Locked thread