Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Starting the series with Ivan Reis :barf:
Quitely and Stewart issues will be amazing, but this guy and Ben Oliver are making GBS threads up the joint fierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Frazer Irving shared his variant to one of the issues

Yes, this is John Constantine, The Hellblazer from that parody Doom Patrol issue. Amazing :allears:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I've always thought that Jim Lee is a worse artist than Liefeld, I am glad that Lee is eager to prove it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Padje posted:

That cover looks like something from a smaller comics studio. The type where everything looks brash inside and the back half of the book is just ads for other series in the line.

The similarity with a moderately popular nazi supermen comic is probably purely coincidential

Doug Mahnke would have killed on that Multiversity issue.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, the Moore hate is always assumed. What parts were targeted at Millar? I'm not really super-familiar with his work.

Post 9/11 govenment-funded superheroes are Millar's bread and butter; Beetle/Question banter, especially the sickburn comeback, is painfully Millar as well.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pay attention to the layout in this issue
Watchmen famously adheres to the strict nine-panel grid, Pax Americana mostly uses the eight, sixteen and 32-panel pages, playing into the magical thematic number. The even number of panels obviously helps building the symmetry, as the issue is an attempt to one-up the Fearful Symmetry issue of Watchmen.
The implied 16-panel grid, with most of the panels and even the whole rows merged, is a template of Dark Knight Returns. But where Miller prefers horizontal and panoramic merges to make space for lavish art, Morrison and Quitely mostly merge vertically to echo the uncommon 4X2 grid set in the first pages, sacrificing the spectacle and emphasizing characters and details in clamped spaces.

drat, I wish they would make a special edition of this issue, the backmatter must be amazing.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 19, 2014

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Most Earths are bad and boring, unfortunately :(

Earth Prez and Thrillkiller Earth (#37) look like fun places to live on and read about though.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Superhero Hellblazer beats the poo poo out of the actual Justice League Dark, thats for sure.

I am mostly mad they did not get a good artist for the Kirbyworld section, Ryan Sook was the go-to guy for Kirby tributes few years ago, but I guess he is busy elsewhere.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is that Thrillkiller? That was the impression I got, but the look didn't match up.

Batgirl, Robin and Jokerlady are identical, the other guys and the accelerated technology backstory seem brand new and remind of the zanier 2000AD strips.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I've heard the non-Thrillkiller stuff is from Twilight.

Oh drat I have wanted to find and read that for ages, Garcia-Lopez is fantastic.
So Earth-37 is Earth-Chaykin, nice.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Action Man posted:

If Pax Americana was Morrison riffing on Moore, this was Morrison riffing on Millar. The super team of 1 dimensional jerks ala the replacement Authority, the bad guys winning ala Wanted, and the corrupted Superman ala Red Son all add up to create a comic that could be read as suggesting that we should pretty much through Millar's work in the fire.

Millar's Authority (the exact arc with an issue ghostwritten by Moz) also had the Midnighter repalcement beating the poo poo out of Apollo held in the similar pose to Human Bomb.

Not enough nazi-killing in this issue for my taste. Hoped for some great terrorism action, but the colony drop is also alright.
Overman was better in Superman: Beyond: more raw, more vicious. Maybe because he was speaking German without "subtitles", maybe because Mahnke drew him not 100% like good guy boyscout Clark. loving Jim Lee.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I'm not supposed to criticize the reason I want to criticize the comic and its author, or else I'm a monstrous floating eyeball or the evil clockhouse from Nextwave.

I think the last issue says the opposite - criticism is a form of engagement, and honest engagement is the prime weapon against Gentry.

I gotta agree that the Nazi Superman issue was a misfire because of the Overman treatment, but then in Pax Americana everything Haley does is shown in positive light - awareness of the political events of the last 20 years and the Comedian arc from Watchmen should tell you otherwise.
And not enough dead nazis.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dr.Magnificent posted:

Alan Moore is the devil, and his mature run of MarvelMan ruined comics. Seriously.

Okay this seems kind of glib to just drop in. Ultra is clearly a Marvelman stand-in. There is a page early on that shows his evolving adventures that use direct references to Marvelman. The big take-away from the comic is that the darkening/mining of old material is bad and wrong. Who wrote the mature run of Marvelman? Alan Moore. It also wouldn't be the 1st time that Grant has used Alan Moore as the devil (see: Final Crisis).

On the subject of story content, I thought Planetary did a similar theme better for no other reason than because it was more subtle.

No, Ultra Comics is a replacement to Superboy-Prime with elements heavily inspired by Adam Warlock.

While Superboy Prime was mostly used in idiotic "having a cake and eating it" fashion in regards to comics not being the saaame and too violent, Ultra is about fighting the "gentrified" space of apathy in comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So did the kids stand in for comic readers? They cannibalize comic books and worship (read: uncritically read) a violent authoritarian figure because they don't have anything else.

Have you read The Wrenchies by Farel Dalrymple? (Morrison didn't and he is a bad bad man because of that) It uses postapocalytic kids in a similar "meta" context, but in a more empathetic way.

Morrison loves the motif of kids being corrupted by bad influence, with Leviathan in Batman Inc., the subway kids in Klarion, Newspaper Legion in Manhattan Guardian.

• Locked thread