Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
PtL with K4 seems strong to me. Little less flexible than Dengar, but also more rerolls potentially. Can also potentially just have PtL with alt crew like Latts if it's Asaaj or something. I think there's a lot of potential builds.

Latts sounds pretty hilarious against torpedo Jumpmasters, free evade whenever they shoot you since they have to run Overclocked R4 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, at wave 7 he was okay. It was the advent of cheap Imp Aces and the death of stresshog that broke Palp.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
What's hilarious about it?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

canyoneer posted:

And I think the joke is that every ship in the game can do 2 banks, so it's the only one we know for sure :v:

No, it was the maneuver set on the dial in the promo article, so we know it has green 2 banks, but nothing else so far.

Edit vv: that's fair :v:

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 18, 2016

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Black Squadrons swarms with Fearlessness. Yeah, no problems there I'm sure it would be fine :v:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Panzeh posted:

Then you lose all your advantages by throwing tokenless shots and making defense rolls with AT only.

Its the same with the YV. It already is basically a ship that shines with actionlessness and an action EPT is just wasted points.

Yeah, this is the unfortunate truth. I've played against a EH Brobots team before, it was pretty garbage. Other Scum ships get their amazing crew slots which you could fill with Dengar or K4 to give you offensive punch while barrel rolling, but Brobots really can't afford to lose the EPT and Systems slot, and effectively their action, and still expect to kill anything.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

hoiyes posted:

OK, so the language for barrel roll is the same. Say I'm in a tie fighter trying to barrel roll outside of range 2 Palob, but it doesn't fit either side. In this case I'm obligated to take a focus or evade?

If it literally can't fit, thus causing the barrel roll to be illegal, then yes you'd need to take a different action or none at all. However, it's worth noting you pick a direction for barrel rolls and boosts, then attempt to perform them. If you fit anywhere on that side, you must perform the barrel roll or boost, even if it's a lovely move in retrospect.

If you don't fit on that direction, you can take a new action. This can be another boost or barrel roll to another direction, or another action entirely. You don't have to try every possible boost or barrel roll before moving on, just the ones on the side you indicate.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Adding dice is awesome, you guys are crazy. I couldn't care less that he adds green dice, adding a red with minimal requirements is amazing, and rerolling red dice is easy as hell. There's a basic action that lets you do it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, that's true, I guess. It still seems overpriced, though, especially compared to Scum crew.

If he were once per turn, I'd agree with him being a couple points max, but with no limit I think he's got to be expensive or he potentially breaks. Especially since the same set is adding Rey, Rebel access to Glitterstim, and the fact that he can combo with Gunner (and FCS on the Ghost). I dunno, he just looks very good on paper, and nuFalcon should not have a tough time keeping things in arc thanks to PS 8-9 pilots and the large base arcs.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

This goes into my theory--which I'll post in full eventually--that the game of X-Wing has evolved past its early "three pillars" of Jouster, Arc Dodger, Turret.

One of our new pillars is Reliable Damage, the ability to push damage through even piles of tokens and green dice.

Finn fits squarely into that Reliable Damage category by increasing the number of possible hits. Gunner's value, while still high, is still highly susceptible to being mitigated entirely.

Yeah, I think gunner is more useful on ships that can sling decent 3 dice attacks *with an additional effect*. Either a way to make a third attack, Tactician or another debuff, etc. Otherwise you might as well just find a way to hit a little harder because adding hits is very nice if you're at the 3 dice minimum to start off.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The thing is that Finn on the right ships is actually a bump from 4 dice to 5 at range 1, not 3 dice to 4 at range 2-3. Going to 5 dice, in a range band where AT doesn't function, is hugely more effective. It's a way to get that magical 5th die without having to run an entire extra ship like Jan, or some crazy gimmick combo wombo. Just a crew slot and a high PS ship.

I don't think it's a godlike combo, but he's a good card for sure against high-evasion targets.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, there's no typing craziness in TTS except for saving dials at the start. Everything is automated after that. You also can't really cheat like it's possible to do in vassal last I heard (using multiple dials laid on top of each other or something weird).

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The pro Expose RAC is that you run it with EI, so you can expose and TL the same turn, and get his pseudo focus. Miss out on EU though, so you just lose to swarms.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If one or two of my ships are out of position after a joust (particularly with only three ships total) is it nearly always better for the rest of the ships to disengage and try to reform to get more guns in? That's a big problem I've had as well, thinking "Well this one ship has a shot if I do this" instead of just running away. I caught myself doing it last night. Poe needed to regen so he was going to be flying away, so I took Wes and Shara away as well, and turned them all around the next turn and it worked out really well. I was able to shoot with all three once we got into range.

It depends, really. Are you going to have less guns on them than they have on you, or the other way around? Are the ships that could engage already hurt or in danger of dying, or are they still fresh? How many turns will the other ship take to actually get back in the fight? Can the ship you're chasing escape from your ships if they chase, pulling them further out of position? Can it turn to catch one anyway if it tries to disengage? Is it going to disengage and regen?

So much of X-Wing depends on the current board state that it's hard to say. The one hard fast rule I would go with is that if you're running a swarm, you almost always want to have them all pointed at one target, to maximize catching it and dropping it quickly. Spreading damage is really bad for those lists. Imp aces don't really care if they're shot at by one guy. 3 is a bigger issue. You have to start getting lucky, rather than simply having enough tokens to survive anything less than 3-4 blank dice.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

One thing that I do like a lot about the Clone Wars and Rebels shows is that they have done a better job of showing the Republic's transition into the Empire than the Prequels did. One page of exposition in the old West End Games Imperial Sourcebook summed up how the heel turn happened better than 3 whole movies.

Well. The writing in the prequels was god awful so that's not really a surprise there. :v:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Panzeh posted:

It's not.. really the same as Boba Fett crew but hey, i'll play it out anyway, i'll just play ships that never do red maneuvers if this becomes a thing.

It's 100% within your power to not dial in a red when facing a chance that a ship will dump a debris on you. It's not within your power to avoid taking a crit. I'd say Fett is much more awkward here.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Palp aces reigned before jm5k and dont really care about a zuckuss party bus as theyll just get behind it and still have 2 get out of jail cards with palp and evade token. And defenders w/palp can be stressed and still have the same access to evade tokens and palp and vess rerolls and and and

It really depends on what else is with the party bus. Getting behind it isn't super hard, but staying there can be if there's other stuff around. And stresshog dunked on aces pretty hard prior to jumps, so they'll be strong again, even with the new Imp toys since. Palp aces might still be the strongest overall list, but I don't think it'll be as overwhelmingly popular and dominant as it has been since Jumps hit.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Finster Dexter posted:

That's kind of pointless, then.

Well, it's not likely to work out like that unless 1) your one list is significantly better than EVERY other list in the game and 2) you're better (or at least play better that day) than everyone else you have a game against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

goodness posted:

If nobody caught it past the first round then it was a simple error. It had no impact on the game right? So why should he be DQ'd unless he has a past of doing that.

If it's not on his sheet, prove he played each round with his list correct, instead of having another card in place of the Mangler. You really can't, unless every round was recorded, so he gets DQ'd.

I mean, there's like a 1% chance that he actually did something shady, but rules like this do exist for a reason, and it's because there are lovely assholes who do things like this and use it to cheat.

• Locked thread