Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

There is definitely a Firespray related card that starts with an 'And.' Hopefully it's not getting hopes up too high, but it looks like there's also a PS6 pilot with a name that starts with either E or A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Actually i thought of another question to ask! I don't have the book right here close at hand or i'd just look it up.

Is there an action that lets you move horizontally? I could have sworn it was the barrel roll but that's something else entirely isn't it?

Barrel roll is always a lateral/horizontal move, decloaking also can be.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Barrel roll is done as an action (usually after movement, sometimes before due to upgrades/abilities), decloaking is always before movement.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

My Krassis builds are usually just the HLC and sometimes an Engine upgrade.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

After running it a few times, I'm finding I actually like my Decimator for less competitive games. The key thing is to, as mentioned before, ignore the ramming build entirely (this thing is way too pricey to throw into a furball like that) and instead run it as something more like an actual patrol ship and fly rings around whatever mess the fighters have gotten themselves into while firing in.

I've had the most success with a build of Rear Admiral Chiraneau with Expose at 50 points, and optionally either a Rebel Captive to discourage some return fire or an Engine Upgrade to further boost mobility on that turret. It's pricey. It probably isn't quite effective enough for 'serious' play, but I have a hell of a lot of fun punking small fighters with it while using some cheap TIEs to screen and jam up the opposing formations. Either Four Academies if I'm running the good Admiral with just Expose, or Howl and two if I add in further upgrades.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

alg posted:

It's a Pretty Good Ship with lots of options. Don't fall for the ramming trap though.

This. The ramming build is hilariously bad, but they're excellent, if pricy and vulnerable to focused fire, patrol craft. Run them along the outskirts of the main dogfight while firing in with the turret, and use your other fighters to screen it and jam up the other squad.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Leo Showers posted:

Hilariously I had planned to run the ramming version of it. I'll rethink my list in that case, is the generic pilot good enough or should I really look at taking one of the two non-ramming ones?

The Rear Admiral plus Expose is my go to build when I'm trying to use it more competitively. Sometimes a Rebel Captive too.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Let's not derail the thread over the General Lee and pop culture uses of the confederate flag, please. I wouldn't do it myself but this one isn't exactly directly comparable to SS Leman Russes, either.

In other news, has anyone tried proxying a Viper yet? I'm curious to see if and how the Segnor's Loop will shake up the movement game.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I've run doomshuttle with Jonus and a basic Bomber each loaded with one cluster and one concussion missile. So long as you get your ordinance off while you've got the re-rolls, it can hit like a goddamn truck. It's just really easy to predict and runs out of steam quickly if you miss.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Yeeeep, but it can be fun to throw out when you're not trying to bring your A game, definitely.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Genghis Cohen posted:

Can anyone give me any advice on how to best use this TIE Phantom? Like is there a consensus on either of its special upgrade cards being good buys, any other upgrades I should consider? The special pilots don't really seem worth the premium.

I enjoy the poo poo out of running Echo with Veteran Instincts and the Advanced Cloak. Further upgrades are optional, but at that point you've got a PS8 pilot that can pull funky decloaking tricks and arc dodge with the best of them, as well as getting some interesting lateral movement or near 180 turns. He dies immediately if you put him too close to a turret, but fun.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Also, the single most critical point of an ACD build on a Phantom, is to always make sure you have -something- to shoot at. If you don't attack, you don't get the free re-cloak and you're a sitting duck. As a side note, avoid stress. If you're stressed, you still can't take actions even if they're otherwise free.

Basically, always make sure you're in a position to cloak again ASAP before committing to dropping your current cloak.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Strobe posted:

I've heard good arguments for using Stygium instead. You lose the five, but you gain an automatic evade and that's worth at least one die and frequently two. Plus it's cheaper, doesn't really on the high pilot skill, and you're not locked into attacking every turn if you want to angle for a better shot down the road. If you do decided to disengage, you get a cloak and the evade.

The main problem with that build is the opportunity cost of losing the immediate recloak. You aren't just giving up the agility boost, you're also losing the ability to start your next turn cloaked, which costs you either an immediate reposition in response to the new board state, or another action if you keep the cloak up.

It's not bad, I just find the flexibility of almost always starting your turn in cloak is more useful to a high PS pilot.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

In general, focused firing swarms is one of the best counters to turrets. Where turrets shine most are against elite arc dodgers, since they deny most of the advantages of that strategy. Overwhelming them with targets and weight of numbers is the most reliable way to break them.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

The only PS 9 pilot you're likely to see in either matchup is Han. Howl and possibly a second TF ace both with ST make an excellent pick for swarms, since you'll get 2-4 shots before most of the turrets can reply.

Dulkor fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 20, 2015

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

At the moment Vader is pretty much the only reason to run an Advanced, though once the Raider releases it looks like Steele will become considerably better with the new upgrades.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

It's an unfortunate side effect of being not only a Wave 1 ship, but the odd man out of the Wave 1s that was really just included for being so iconic, as near as I can tell. They certainly weren't sure of what niche it was supposed to fill.

The good news is you only need to buy it if you want to participate in the big national/worlds level tournaments. Literally everywhere else will let you use print outs and proxies once the box is released.

Or if you actually want a Raider.

(I might want a Raider).

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Finally got to play! Flew three TIE Fighters and a Defender against two A-Wings, a really squirrely B-Wing with Advanced Sensors and Push the Limit, and a Z-95. A lot of fun once we got the hang of the rules. Do I have the collision/flythrough mechanics down right?

If you fly through another ship, nothing happens.
If you finish your movement with your base overlapping another ship, you lose your action and you can't attack that ship.

If you fly through an obstacle, you risk damage and lose your action.
If you finish your movement with your base overlapping an obstacle, you lose your action and you can't attack, and you risk a damage.

Yup! Plus, when you fly off the obstacle next turn, the first condition applies again. Landing on obstacles is the worst.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

taishi28012 posted:

My roommate got me into this game a few weeks ago & I've been having fun in general, but I'm having trouble figuring out a counter for two big ships. Going up against a YT-2400 & a YT-1300 is a real pain in the rear end. What is a good counter for two big rear end tanks with turrets?

Strobe pretty much has it there. The best counter to a turret ship is to throw more dice at it than it throws back at you. This means either tanky, hard hitting ships like B-Wings, or massed swarms of cheap TIE Fighters or Z-95s. It doesn't matter if they can kill one ship in a volley when you have seven more bearing down on it that it can't do poo poo about.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

With S&V nearing, I kinda feel like flying more Firesprays. Think I might try something like this next time the local group gets together. (Debating dropping one of the charges for an initiative bid)

Boba Fett (39)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Seismic Charges (2)
Navigator (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Krassis Trelix (36)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Seismic Charges (2)
Mercenary Copilot (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

signalnoise posted:

How exactly do asteroids work? Do you take damage when you fly through them, or land on them, or both, or what?

Any maneuver where the template or ship base overlaps an obstacle, you lose your action and roll a red die, taking one damage if a regular hit is rolled. If the base overlaps, you also can't attack that round and are more than likely going to trip the first condition again when you fly off.

Any attack that goes through an obstacle also adds one green die to the defending ship's roll

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Go for the double Decimator squad, it calls to you!

But where the hell are you supposed to get the space to even keep a second one on your shelf? :v:

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Looks like it stalled up most/all of the reprints, but not S&V. I can only imagine how this is going to boost the shitstorm of entitled nerd bitching around the internet. :allears:

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Think I'm gonna give something like this a shot for casual games tomorrow. Kinda want to see how the new upgrades and pilots impact the older ships before I start trying to build around the new ones.

Emon Azzameen (36)
Seismic Charges (2)
Seismic Charges (2)
Seismic Charges (2)
Andrasta (0)

Drea Renthal (22)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Binayre Pirate (12)
"Hot Shot" Blaster (3)

Binayre Pirate (12)
"Hot Shot" Blaster (3)

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Dulkor posted:

Think I'm gonna give something like this a shot for casual games tomorrow. Kinda want to see how the new upgrades and pilots impact the older ships before I start trying to build around the new ones.

Emon Azzameen (36)
Seismic Charges (2)
Seismic Charges (2)
Seismic Charges (2)
Andrasta (0)

Drea Renthal (22)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Binayre Pirate (12)
"Hot Shot" Blaster (3)

Binayre Pirate (12)
"Hot Shot" Blaster (3)

Ran this list today. Can't say for sure exactly how competitive the other lists were since everyone was fumbling their way through new S&V lists.

Thoughts:

Hot Shot is a nasty little surprise whenever someone tries to segnor or barrel roll away from your cheap Z-95s. Didn't do quite as much damage as I'd have liked, but that was more due to my messing up my maneuver the phase before and not getting focus due to bump.

People keep forgetting Emon has more bombs, and are currently not used to the idea of having to worry about bombs from unexpected angles hitting more than once. I think he needs an engine upgrade in future lists to buy some more options for positioning, but those Seismic Charges more than made their points back each game regardless.

Drea is a murder machine if you can get behind another fighter and lock them down. BTL and Ion give you a fun little double tap, and once you land that ion hit you're free to refresh your target lock and eat that stress. You know exactly where that fighter is going to be, after all. Unhinged Y-Wings in general can cover a stupidly good amount of ground as well. Getting towards 'kinda pricy' for a skill 5 pilot, though.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I'm really liking Scum so far. It doesn't seem to be as crazy-go-nuts of a change as cloak and wave V were to the meta, but it's a needed shake up and their unique options are really interesting and underhanded.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Halverine posted:

I have one of everything except the transport but now I'm really tempted to double up for the first time.

Obviously the easy answer is the Aggressor since that's the point of the IG-2000 upgrade card but is it worth buying another Scyk? Already people seem to be a bit down on the StarViper so might give a second one of those a miss.

The Starviper has the same problem as the defender of costing too much to kit out to be worth taking more than one, it feels like. Interceptors with heavy scyk titles and a mix of the cheaper cannons (flechette, ion, and mangler) seems like it could be a fun build, but since I only have one scyk and won't have the funds to buy more for a couple weeks, I can't do more than speculate.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

With more freetime I certainly could! Part of the not buying anything is also being in the middle of a move, though.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Hell, why make it completely one way or the other? Set every dial at PS5 or lower first, then move rocks, then set the rest of your dials.

(And now we see how elegant games turn into bloated messes of if/then flowcharts and randomness)

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

God, he even threw in the loving incoming missile alert.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

Anyone tried a Starviper with the Virago title to any success? I want to give it a go but I am worried it is too many points into one fragile ship. It is weird that they don't get Illicit equipment without the title, out of all the ships.

I tried it with a Ad Sensors, Predator, Dampeners equipped Guri. Paired it with Torkil and some Hot Shot 95s to decent results.

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...15:-1,113:-1:7:

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

How do you determine initiative and who sets up/goes first when Scum are involved, and why have I had to go crazy trying to find this information anywhere? It's not in any of the printed stuff that came with the Most Wanted pack. Do you just roll off?

Standard tournament rules. Lowest point total has initiative, in the event of a tie flip a coin and the winner of the flip picks.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

It could just be the low res image we have right now, but I'm reasonably certain the K-Wing does have a new action icon, which sort of looks like two triangles or a pair of arrows superimposed on each other. This is entirely wild speculation on my part, but maybe it's to represent the SLAM? A speed 2 straight or something as an action?

Or it could just be a really goddamn blurry standard action icon.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Strobe posted:

I wonder how people would feel about an action that allowed you to fire during the activation phase, but skip firing during the combat phase?

I'd rather see something like that as an EPT or mod with a PS minimum. Imagine a bunch of low PS pilots moving then firing on one of your aces before they even get a chance to move away or declare an action. Put it on just one or two ships in the 5-7 ish range though, that could be less destabilizing. Depends on the opportunity cost of what they lose to get it.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

After seeing that I was right about rules for SLAM being added, now I'm just kinda sad we got the Punisher instead of the Missile Boat.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Though to be fair, the Eagle 5 makes a better HWK than Falcon because of the scale involved.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

HerraS posted:

How hard would a 3x Autothruster Interceptor squad be to fly? Interceptors look baller as hell but Autothrusters are pretty much mandatory on them. Thinking of just having Soontir & Carnor & Royal Guard pilot in identical ships.

I've been running that with PtL, Royal Guard, Autothruster, and Stealth Device on each ship. It's quite viable so long as you've got a good head for maneuvering and keeping yourself from getting overly exposed. I've ripped non-turreted squads apart without taking damage.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Corbeau posted:

How prickly are people about card proxies in this game, generally? I'm kind of leery of buying in when I'd have to buy a shitload of ships that I have no interest in using just to get the card or two that's meta-critical.

Outside of the big regionals/worlds type tournaments, people give approximately zero shits.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Right, finally got my second core set, as advised by you all. (currently looking at perhaps getting a Scum pack like the 'most wanted' one or something similar, so I have a reasonable enough selection for all three sides, but that's another matter) However, how do you all store all the ships, tokens, etc. from your various packs? Do you try to keep them segregated and stored in their individual boxes, or is there like, a container with lots of individual sections to store the different ships in, that someone such as myself could invest in?
If this is the case - and if information on where I might procure one could be provided - I would greatly appreciate it; otherwise I can certainly see trying to sort/keep everything in their separate boxes becoming a bit of a headache..

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Double-Cover-Tackle-Organizer/dp/B001ECQPVQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1432727533&sr=8-11&keywords=plano

This case is an excellent starting point for most players, it has plenty of room for multiple copies of all the fighters and a few large vessels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I think I like the look of this one the best, although is there any space for the most annoyingly-sized rule firing distance rule? (or whatever you call it) Obviously there isn't in the visible section in that image (aside from possibly if it sits on the top of the combartments/slots, between those and the plastic lid), although what about in that gap that's shown, between the two mirrored trays? Is there an indentation/thin compartment there that it (and/or potentially the other templates and booklets) could fit, or?

Thanks again for all the info, you lot!

if you leave the dividers out of one row in the transparent sections, all your maneuver templates and the rangefinder will fit in it.

• Locked thread