Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I hope this opens the door for stuff like looted Lambda Shuttles on the rebel side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I've got some alternate art stuff sleeved but for the rest I could care less, I've got multiples of it all anyway.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The gimmick on the IG-2000 is nuts.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Chill la Chill posted:

I like how the new scum faction "rewards" players like me who collect both factions anyway so I can have a sweet third one for almost-free.

I'm super glad they did it the way they did, because Scum immediately has a deep ship pool, and it makes it really easy to proxy some lists. It looks like you're getting a ton of pilots, too.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Whatever comes with Push the Limit and Advanced Sensors, so E-Wings and A-Wings/Imperial Aces.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Scum Swarm with like 4 Z-95s and 4 M3-A's might be a lot of fun.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Ugh, gently caress the IG-2000. Up til now I've been perfectly happy with 1x of each large ship. All of the IG-88s better have a point cost in excess of 33 :mad:

I wouldn't be surprised if they're all 36 points, since they're all PS 6. It'd let you take 2 + support and not be too spammy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

FuSchnick posted:

Secret reveal for Scum faction will be that they are led by Porkins.

I'd buy 4 copies of every ship

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think it'll balance fine, it's not like the banked k-turn is strictly better than the old one. They're just different.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Promos with gameplay impact are garbage

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

signalnoise posted:

I know there are unique pilots, are there unique ships in this game? Like, are there some that you can only have one of even though you have multiple pilots?

Not yet. Maybe one of the huge ships, which I don't have, but definitely none of the normal ones. There are, of course, practical limits to how many of a ship you can have in a 100 point list but there's nothing rules-wise.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TarDolphinorShark posted:

I have never played in a tourney and only ever really played fun games with friends but I am seriously considering entering one on Saturday. Will I survive any length of time by taking my usual lists of "This looks cool I want to take it because I liked this ship in the movies" I usually play Rebels and I have;

Core set
X wing expansion
A wing Expansion
B wing Expansion
E Wing Expansion
Millenium falcon Expansion
The huge transport

What do I need to do to play fun but still not get trampled?

You can make really good lists with what you have already so you don't really need anything, but if you want to run "top tier" tournament lists you could get either a B-Wing for BBXX or another Falcon to run double falcons.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

The one pilot skill ones? What am I missing?

Since they're basically guaranteed to move first you can use them to block your opponent's ships from moving where they want and from taking actions. This is less of a thing if you're playing with fewer ships or without good asteroid placement or whatever, but once you get practice with them they turn into really annoying hazards that also happen to have decent guns.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Is that a thing? My second game was just a ball of TIE fighters unloading on whatever wandered in front of them. The first game I tried splitting them up into wings of 2 and between not taking advantage of my maneuverability and basically only firing with half of my ships in a given turn I was doing pretty poorly, but once I realized I could just take a ball of TIE fighters with great synergy I felt a little better.

Definitely a lot of fun, though, and I'm going back to LGS tomorrow to buy more poo poo. What's worth looking at for Imperials?

A TIE Swarm (A ton of TIEs + Howlrunner) is a very good list. It's the reason a lot of people have like 7 TIE Fighters. If you don't want to play that (totally understandable, I think it's super boring), I'd recommend as much as you want to buy between the Imperial Aces box, a Lambda Shuttle or Firespray so you can play with a big ship, and a TIE Phantom or two.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Also a phantom

Also a shuttle

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Chill la Chill posted:

The issue with the most impact between the two games that I feel leads to negative play experiences is that Star Trek makes you attend events to get exclusive pilots and ship cards. X-wing only has alternate art cards and dice that, funny enough, can be sold for nice chunk of cash but everything can be had at retail. Whether this bugs you as a latecomer might influence your decision to play.

This and the blind buy ships are why pretty much everyone has stopped playing Star Trek. The balance issues don't help, but house rules made that ok enough.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Strobe posted:

Attack Wing doesn't have blind buy.

Sorry, I should've been clearer but like Poopy Palpy said it's what they're doing for the Organized Play season right now. You build a 90 point list then buy a 30 point ship at the store.

It sucks because if you're 'serious' about the game you have to do the OP events to keep up (and you want the new ships, all the blind buy ships are exclusive to that), and if you're new to the game and just looking to play in a structured way it's a lot more expensive than it would be otherwise.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Chewbacca/Jan Ors 2-ship list that just won on the worlds stream is nuts.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Look at this scrub that can't run double Falcons or a TIE Swarm. :v:

Good start, buy some more A and B-Wings.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I wonder how cheap that 2 piloting skill guy is. If it's way closer to 10 points I could see them being useful as battlefield clutter for a few turns.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Reading is hard, ok?

I'll probably try some dumb gimmick build with the one that lets you reroll a defense die.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Partial Octopus posted:

Whats a good website to buy minis from? My friend and I picked up the starter set tonight and had a pretty good time playing but our store has a small selection and it seems to be over priced.

I've bought 90% of my collection from coolstuffinc, but I think there are several other retailers (miniature market?) that have comparable prices.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ProfessorCurly posted:

Oh that's a point actually, I get that you need upgrade cards to buy things. But do you need an upgrade card for each ship you give that upgrade to?

Technically, yes, but outside of tournaments nobody really cares.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Chomp8645 posted:

What is the "First Order", what is the "Resistance", and in general what in the world am I looking at?

Stuff from the new movie, I think First Order is Empire and Resistance are Rebels.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The best thing about this movie is that they turned Brienne of Tarth into a chrome stormtrooper.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thundercloud posted:

Which means it may get sucked into the big marketing push for Ep VII and won't just be in Barnes and Noble, but places ordinary folks will come across it.

Please let fantasy flight write a non-awful star wars skirmish wargame with balanced rules and then start bringing in all sorts of cool poo poo. The mini quality just needs to be better than rebel assault and more varied.

The old core set was in Target, I'd be surprised if this didn't follow suit.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Tallon Roll is a cool move.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Supreme Leader Snoke.

Darth Vader

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kai Tave posted:

Showed up to play some X-Wing after talking with someone at board game night yesterday who mentioned he picked up a new K-Wing at PAX and wanted to see how it flew, didn't even know he played Wangs. Make arrangements to show up and do some gaming with him, someone else I know plays X-Wing chimes in on Facebook. Hey, things are looking great.

Both show up, neither have any X-Wing stuff. Neither is interested in borrowing loaners from me. Some days I feel like I wasted a shitload of money on the wrong game.

Wasted a shitload of time on the wrong people.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

alg posted:

What games do people play that X-Wing is considered expensive

Literally anything that isn't a miniatures game or like a CCG

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Worlds stream for X-Wing is starting in a few minutes if anyone is in a place to watch it. http://www.twitch.tv/ffglive

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

hoiyes posted:

Is it usually uploaded somewhere later for people who can't watch live?

Twitch should archive it, and they might put it on youtube later.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think I would have to avoid playing a KKK list, just on principle.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Top 16 started, Whisper/Howlrunner/Academy x3 vs Vader/Jax/Palpatine

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Triple K is back on stream for the round of 8. :)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I also hope they think of adding additional objectives like Golan Platforms to blow up, cargo containers to inspect/defend, etc.

They've done some of these in scenarios included with the large-based ships like the Millenium Falcon, and I think there are some in the Aces boxes as well.

edit: there's a list here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures_Game

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I have two shuttles and I've never bought a single scum ship.

If anyone wants to trade some scum ships for a shuttle let me know.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you want to get in on Tabletop Simulator action, it's on sale for 10 bucks at the humble bundle store.

A dollar goes to charity! :getin:

I'm gonna figure out how to use this thing and play in the next TTS league.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rebel TIEs :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ConfusedUs posted:

Which is a great design space, I feel.

Agreed, I like this a lot better than "Just buy four of them and make a list"