Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Jess with Sensor Cluster is really mean, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah she's quite tanky even without Sensor Cluster. With, she's almost always going to get 2 evades from any single defense roll.

I'm a big fan of how Sensor Cluster actually gives her better focus efficiency. She can afford to gamble on rerolling a focus result, because she can just spend it afterward anyway if it rolls back into a focus or into a blank, but you can save the focus entirely by rolling into an evade.

Note: Obviously only works when you rolled evade + X on your dice.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ninjahedgehog posted:

Started playing this game a few weeks ago and it owns. Quick rules clarification though.

My opponent has no shields and three hull left, and after evades have been accounted for, I scored two hits and a critical hit. My opponent takes two facedown damage cards and one face-up (the critical effect was something along the lines of "your rudder is shot out; all 90-degree turns count as red maneuvers for you"). The face-up card did not mention anything about being flipped over, which we agreed would count as the third piece of damage and kill him if that happened.

Were we completely wrong and should he have been destroyed outright? This rule seems fairly obvious:

But this one seemed to imply that that faceup card, unless it specifically says it deals damage, does no damage.

Scoring a critical hit is different from flipping an existing damage card faceup, which is what the text alludes to when it says "flipped". The number of damage cards on the ship card is the amount of hull points the ship has lost.

What that text actually means is that the flipped up card does not constitute the ship "suffering damage", which triggers some card effects.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

- Ships cannot recover shields beyond their shield value (I swear this was already a rule)

I heard from one of the local players today that this ruling is effectively to prevent a Y-Wing with Chopper as an Astromech from cannibalizing their BTL-A2 title after the joust if they took no damage.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Turns out reliability in a dice game is super loving good. Who knew? :shrug:

Definitely not the Xwing devs

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

Strobe. Strobe, my man.

I saw something that you might love. A lot.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...20Squadron&obs=

Video of it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU3t1bjyx-I

I do like this! I don't think it's necessarily superior to the Falcon assisted Jess and Blue I've been running (which got a lot better with FAA and Advanced Optics), but I like it.

Refresher: https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...&sn=Strobe&obs=

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Raged posted:

Friend of mine is bound and determined to fly 3x T-65/70 at regionals. We played a bunch of games with my Scum harpoon list and it wasn't pretty for him. Is there a 3x X-Wing list that stands a chance against high PS harpoons or massed harpoons. He was flying Poe, Jess and Nunb.

I feel bad since this is the guy who taught me how to play X-Wing.

The Intensity/Comm Relay/Autothrusters Red Vets list ConfusedUs posted a few days back is pretty good for that kind of thing. It has all the kinds of things X-wings need in order to not get super wrecked by Harpoons, in the form of improved range 3 defense, persistent actionless defense buffs, token stacking, and multiple repositions.

Basically it makes the Harpoons try really hard for range 2 to make sure they actually hit, and if you're playing X-wings well (especially T-70s) you have pretty good distance covering ability.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
ConfusedUs you will probably be happy to know that I'm going to run that 3x70 list you posted at my next game (which will be my first since March) on Monday.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Panzeh posted:

I too would like my games decided more by RNG.

Unironically this.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The only 32 point ship worth considering is Wedge Antilles, Intensity, and Flight-Assist Astromech with Integrated Astromech. :colbert:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The YV-666 also had an auxiliary arc well before the ARC and TIE/sf.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm heading to the Kansas City not-Regional (we didn't get one this year, what the gently caress) next week. It's going to be the first however many games I've played in almost a year and at least two full waves/releases.

I'm going to be running triple T-70s.

Expected trip report: :suicide:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

You gonna run the intensity T70s?

Yes.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

canyoneer posted:

I made this a few weeks ago thinking of you, Strobe from the SA forums.

:glomp:

At least I have my reputation. :v:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If T-70s had three greens instead of two they'd basically be better Defenders in every way so I'm down for that. :v:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

canyoneer posted:

4 dual sided x-wing s-foil modification cards, and 3 copies of a T-65 title, and it looks like the PS7 pilot can flip the S-foil card for free after a boost or barrel roll.
And a new copy of Flight Assist Astromech!
Saw Guerrera crew seems like it would situationally be really great on a regen ship like Norra.

And hot dog, there's a PS1 x-wing. Which means that it probably costs less than the 21 point PS2 x-wing. Which means you may be able to run 5 x-wings :swoon:

It comes with five of them, even!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Raged posted:

Scum are going to take a beating :(

Good.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Raged posted:

Barley seeing them in the top tables already.

In Australia palp aces have already made a comeback. Going to be everywhere now when the new wave comes out.

Good.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's six hours later and I'm still :gizz:ing about new X-wings.

EDIT: some substantive posting now

I really need to see the cost on that title, mod, and PS1 pilot for the T-65. I don't dare hope that it's 18 points, because that'd be loving dumb, but goddamn am I hoping that it's 18 points. Even if it's 19 points, being able to equip the s-foils, a droid, and Integrated Astromech would be loving incredible.

The s-foils mod has text "at the" and "phase", so it's not action or event triggered. That's good. It also means that the PS-7 pilot with an EPT can trigger both effects in the same turn, which depending on the effects is going to be sick and nasty. Since what I'm assuming is the "closed" version reduces primary weapon value, that seems important.

The "open" version has what my terrible vision is suggesting is a [hard turn] icon. Pre-execution maneuver changing? Could be really good on something like Intensity/FAA high-PS pilots, where deliberately swinging wide and out of arc would let you trigger FAA and Intensity to token stack and attack from an interesting direction.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 14, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

hoiyes posted:

Apparently there's spoiled full text of sfoils?
Closed is: Reduce primary by 1. Gain boost action. White straight manoeuvres are green. May flip at end of combat phase.
Open is: Gain barrel roll action. If you are not stressed, if you reveal a 2 or 3 speed hard turn, you may perform a 3 tallon in that direction. (no stress!!) May flip at end of combat phase.

0 points.

:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

EDIT: seriously constructive posting again

The PS7 pilot with FAA is nuts. You can reveal a 2/3 speed hard, switch it at reveal to a 3 tallon, trigger FAA (depending on whether you need to or not) for a barrel roll, flip the card, perform the new boost action that you suddenly have, and then flip it back for a full dice primary. If you have Opportunist or something that generates stress, you can flip it back at the end of the combat phase, 4 forward green GTFO, and then do basically the same thing with an FAA barrel roll, flip card, boost for arc. Flip or don't flip as necessary for that one.

That PS7 pilot is Blue Ace levels of mobile, with better maneuver options.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 14, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Some Numbers posted:

:siren: The PS4 X-Wing pilot has an EPT :siren:

Last gimmick post for today

:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

canyoneer posted:

Yeah that sounds suspicious.
It upgrades every x wing to Ello Asty plus vectored thrusters for zero points.

I mean, if the upgrade is T-65 X-wings only, then all of them are still lacking the extra shield, all-times Boost, ability to take Autothrusters, extra green maneuver, and Tech slot.

If you could take them on T-70s yeah it'd obsolete his pilot, but you can't.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

hoiyes posted:

Even with all the stuff from the Sfoils, I still think x7 defenders are better?

Well no poo poo. An x7 Defender is also 8 points more.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Kansas City's not-a-real-Regional tournament was today, and I took that triple T-70 list ConfusedUs linked a while back.

Trip report: I didn't learn how to play it until the last game. Not really.

Game 1: Against Miranda-Nym and a good local player. 100-0 loss, had Nym down to two hull and Miranda had hull damage but ended with a shield. Dodged three of the four Harpoons he fired at me, which felt pretty great. Ended up dying to bombs.

Game 2: Against the other Miranda-Nym and a local player I'd never played. 100-0 loss, due to my own incompetence. Flew directly into not just one, but two different Thermal Detonators with one of my X-wings and went down a ship early. Then limped to a loss near time.

Game 3: Against the other tanky Rebel Regen and Auto-Damage list. 66-22 loss. Newer player, but his list was basically my hard counter. Ten Numb with Mangler and C-3PO, the PS7 Wookie with Jan, Jyn, VI, and EI, and a Gray Y-wing with Autoblaster Turret. I flew fairly poorly too, but I ended up killing the Y-wing but losing two X-wings.

Game 4: Against four TIEs. Dark Curse, Mauler Mithel, Zeta Ace, and Omega Ace. 100-0 win. This was this player's first tournament, and their cards consisted of nothing but the two core sets, plus two cards borrowed from friends. I think I lost three shields, and outflew them in every phase of the game (which was the expected outcome). I hope they stick around, because their grasp of fundamentals was pretty great, they were just having trouble getting their head around the relatively large chain of triggers that my list thrives on.

Game 5: Against Backdraft, Quickdraw, and Inquisitor. 34-34 win. Lost one X-wing with roughly 30 seconds to time, went all-in and killed Quickdraw on the last turn. Won on final salvo 4-3. The entire first hour of this game saw a combined total of four shields lost between the two of us. One of those was Quickdraw hitting a rock. This is where I learned that the real strength of this list, which is that it won't loving die, ever. Every single time he tried to focus on one X-wing it'd run away and be functionally uncatchable except by the Inquisitor, and my opponent was not willing to separate his list up so I could pick them off.

End result, 2-3 and a godawful MOV, but goddamn was it fun to fly.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's fun as poo poo to fly, so yes. I just took the entire tournament to learn how the list works against things that are otherwise their hard counters. I would abso-loving-lutely run away from Nym Miranda for 75 minutes if it means they get a 0 MOV loss because gently caress that list.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Unrelated: I realized today what one of my dream lists is, and I can't wait to make it happen when the new X-wing fixes come out.

Luke Skywalker (28)
R2-D2 (4)
Intensity (2)
S-Foils Modification (0?)
T-65 Title (0?)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Wedge Antilles (29)
R5-P9 (3)
Intensity (2)
S-Foils Modification (0?)
T-65 Title (0?)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Horton Salm (25)
Chopper (1)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
BTL-A4 (0)
Bomb Loadout (0)

Total: 100

Because I love Chopper cannibalizing the BTL-A4 title, and also it's three-ship Regen at PS 8-9. :allears:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Wapole Languray posted:

Could you repost or link the list? I've been looking for a decent Triple T-70 list for ages.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Mind reposting the list? Triple T-70s are some of my favorite squads but ConfusedUs has 59 pages of posts to look through :stare:

Red Squadron Veteran (26) [34]
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)
Intensity (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Red Squadron Veteran (26) [34]
Intensity (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Red Squadron Veteran (26) [32]
Intensity (2)
Primed Thrusters (1)
Autothrusters (2)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah 99% of the time you take the their pilot skill, not their pilot ability, then you fly him as an ace. With FCS you are free to take whatever defensive action is best for you (reposition, focus, etc), and you have glitterstim for any turn you really gently caress up.

That said, my MVP tonight was PTL Guri. Holy poo poo, she can get ANYWHERE even with the mediocre greens on her dial, especially if you're sure you will pick up the focus from her ability (and thus can double reposition). You can crawl sideways, do circles, whatever the hell you want.

My favorite trick tonight was starting a turn unstressed, pulling a 1-hard right, barrel-rolling right/back followed by a right boost, to end up facing 180 degrees from my original position, approximately two and a half ship-lengths behind where I started (and a bit to the side). Final position was kinda like if you could take a 2-straight maneuver backwards, then turn around at the end like a K-turn, then barrel roll to the side.

Uh, with a 1-hard and a boost it's not possible to perform a 180. At best you can end up 45 degrees short of that. And you'll end up more than a single shiplength laterally from where you started.

EDIT: there's a Starviper title that makes all this happen and I forgot it existed. Nevermind!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'd much rather see something along the lines of Fel's Wrath for Punishers. That way you can't PS kill them, which is how a significant amount of their teeth are pulled.

It'd also avoid pumping hydrogen directly into the flames of offensive power creep, unlike Brobots++ over there.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

Yup.

And they still die. Very very quickly. And have very limited dials. And no other offense.

36 health doesn't die quickly no matter what you're shooting at it.

I'm inherently opposed to anything to makes bombs and auto-damage more prevalent. Literally announcing that the purpose of the fix would be offensive power creep isn't helping.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

Put Intensity on Snap. You'll thank me. Being able to tallon roll, barrel roll, boost, and focus is insane.

You can do this with FAA and Intensity on a normal Red Squadron Veteran.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cobbsprite posted:

Disagree. Long Range Scanners lets you modify your attack dice with a focus when it comes time to actually shoot it against every enemy list, and Deadeye only protects against the Black One title (or the defunct Expert Handling). You're only going to take the target lock once, it's fine.

Taking a TL with LRS telegraphs your first target, which can then just avoid the joust and prevent you from stacking modifiers.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Some Numbers posted:

I can't wait for Strobe to check in and see all this.

I'm a week late, but that just means I'm in time to cover both new X-wing upgrades and 2.0 with :gizz:

:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The T-65 in the article has Blue maneuvers at 1 and 2 banks and straights and native Tallon Rolls.

This is the best. :allears:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Y-wings have 2-speed blues and what looks like a red 1-speed.... reverse?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
:siren: :siren: :siren: WRAITH SQUADRON PILOT SPOTTED :siren: :siren: :siren:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

bunnyofdoom posted:

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHAT. WHO.

Yeah, that's Iden from BF2.

I saw a name that was not what I thought it was and was wrong. :(

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Saw's Rebels is a hybrid 1.0/2.0 pack. Dammit, I still need three. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Since Predator still exists (on a Red Squadron Veteran that can't be a T-70 in the preview article), I wonder if we'll have multiple upgrades occupy similar/identical design space but have more diverse squad building applications, or even the ability to specialize by taking multiple different upgrades with the same/similar effect.

We need a new thread/OP.

• Locked thread