Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I understand that. With PTL you'd get a lock, a focus token and 1 stress, be able to use the ability, not need Kanan, and have the option of barrel rolling instead of either the lock or the action if necessary. The only drawback is that you need to make the target lock when you act rather than just getting it on whoever you fire at, but that seems well worth it.

(I'm not saying this is necessarily *good*, just that I don't see the appeal of running rage instead)
You are correct. Though I think the moral of the story is

Brunas posted:

Don't do this, it was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Brunas posted:

I want to fail with imp firesprays some more. The only advantage it has over similar role ships empire side is a large chunk of health and a crew slot. Kallus on a generic seems reasonable? 35 points, the fewer ships your opponent has the longer you live by a dramatic amount, and you can evade on top of that. Need a way to mod offensive dice though, just Kallus isn't going to be enough I'm sure.
I've been thinking the same thing. But have been waiting until ImpVets comes out so I can try Long Range Sensors on it as well. It will be a nice offensive mod for the first shot, and I never seem to have a problem being at Range 3+ with the rear end cannon later in the game.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

thespaceinvader posted:

Arg poo poo gently caress what do I bring to regionals tomorrow?
I'd really like to run my purple G1a and my painted N'Dru but I can't come up with a build that doesn't have a massively limp closing if the initial alpha fails.

I've been working on a very similar list in my head. Unfortunately I haven't put it on the table yet.

N'Dru Suhlak
Lone Wolf, Cluster Missiles, Glitterstim, Guidance Chips

Ruthless Freelancer
Boba Fett, Fire-Control System

IG-88B
Veteran Instincts, Fire-Control System, Heavy Laser Cannon, Autothrusters

Total 99 points

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
Happy Star Wars Day everyone!

Anyone know of some good sales? I see GOG is having their usual, plus they just added Shadows of the Empire.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

BJPaskoff posted:

They really needed a second day for this Regional in NY. They've been playing (and streaming) for over twelve hours. The casters are starting to fall asleep!

It just finished up a few minutes back (Crappy mirror match finals). Great for me watching at work. Bad for being one of the players or casters there though.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
You still flying your brobots?

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

The Gate posted:

Basically, R3 wants you to gamble on rolling an eye token in your attack, and then also not want to turn it into a hit. The only time I can see this being the "right" choice is when you roll completely horribly and get like blank-blank-eye out something...
High PS ships have much better options in the unique astromechs. Honestly, what ship is this even for?
I find you brought up some great points, so I started thinking critically about what ship it is used for. I saw a lot of talk about Wedge, and I think that might work, but I am far more excited to try this out with Luke.

Luke Skywalker w/ Veteran Instincts, R3 Astro, and Vectored Thrusters - (I like VT more than Engine here to keep his points down)

This solves a few of the issues Luke faces. Mostly in that if you give him Lone Wolf to get the defensive bonus, you aren't getting full value for your Action. LW plus TL, you can't double re-roll. Focus has never been ideal on him since it's redundant if you don't use it on the attack. We've all tried Engine, but since the T-70 came out, why not just switch to that since it basically gets boost for free. This R3 build makes Luke quite unique. If you Barrel Roll, you have a likely chance of getting an Eye result you can't use, and I've used TL enough on him to know it's quite easy to get Hit-Hit-Eye, or Hit-Hit-Hit-Eye. And it covers those odd times where dice really screw you and you get Blank-Blank-Eye.

At the very least it's better than his current selection of Astromechs. It doesn't lock him into crappy X-Wing greens (and let's face it, there are better places for Artoo, and BB-8 requires a lot of work to get full benefit), and doesn't force him to take an R5-P9 Focus that he might want to spend offensively (there goes your defensive regen).

I've flown Luke a lot of times, and I don't think I've been as excited for him as I am right now.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Strobe posted:

7 with a guaranteed crit on top is going into "can conceivably one shot a Jumpmaster/Brobot" levels of making GBS threads out damage and as much as I hate that that's a thing in this game if you can do it you should do it.
I can't wait until people fire 7 ultra accurate dice to a kill a single Black Crack while the rest of the swarm eats their poor little ship alive.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
Why not go with Vessery, 2 Omega Crack, 1 Black Crack, 1 Academy?
Sure you lose 1 TL supplier, but those FO dials....

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

flightless greeb posted:

What about Tansarri Point Veterans with fearlessness and auto blaster cannons. Now I know what you're thinking, that's a lot of points on a dumb fragile ship. And you're right. Well that's all I have to say about that.
You're not thinking big enough...
Mando Merc Firespray 1
Fearlessness, Autoblaster Cannon, Dengar, BMST, Bomb/Mod Slot to taste.
Mando Merc Firespray 2
Fearlessness, Autoblaster Cannon, K4, BMST, Bomb/Mod Slot to compliment FS1.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
My current Backdraft build is a bit more expensive, but I like it's ability to touch Brobots and Aces.

"Backdraft" (27)
Outmaneuver (3)
FCS (2)
SpOT (0)

Total: 32

I'll add Primed Thrusters when they come out.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

How would you build a fun, simple to fly and flexible 60 point rebel, imperial, scum list for people playing their 2nd or 3rd game of Xwing?
I think people on their 3rd game are ready to be introduced to some of the more interesting concepts beyond point and shoot.

Rebel
Luke Skywalker - BB8 - Crackshot - Proton Torpedoes - Guidance Chips (Teaches pre-move Barrel Roll, crackshot greatness, secondary weapons)
Gold Squadron - Ion Cannon Turret - Bomb Loadout w/Seismic Charges (Teaches about turrets, Ion control, bombs)

Empire
Darth Vader - Juke - Title - Accuracy Corrector (Teaches modifying rules for defender/attacker, turtle power of Focus+Evade+AGI3)
Backstabber (Teaches firing arcs)
Academy Pilot (Teaches blocking and Initiative when facing off against Scum player)

Scum
Zealous Recruit - Autothrusters (Teaches Boost, Autothruster range control, Initiative with Empire player)
Mandalorian Merc - Fearlessness - Inertial Dampeners - 4-LOM (Teaches adding dice, the stop move, Ion effect on large ships)

This is a rough draft I just thought up. Can anyone think of anything else that should be introduced?

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Iceclaw posted:

So how do you guys build lists? I'm at a bit of a loss about where to start. I own a fair bit of ships, most I bought/was gifted when I couldn't play and I'm bit drowning in options.
My first thought is always to think about 1 ship that I would like to try out, then build around that ship.
Start with your favorite squad builder (Mine is https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/). Find a ship you want to try out, and then build it up how you would like.
Think about what it is that ship is doing, and what weaknesses that ship will have. Let's look at the meta and test. Can it survive a Crack swarm? What about TLTs? Can it survive Dangar to kill Manaroo? U-Boats/Ordnance? Can you put enough damage on a twin VCX + Y-wing build? Will Palp-Aces steal your lunch money?

After you think you have something down, give it a go on the table or vassal, and see what you are missing. Did you need an initiative bid? Veteran Instincts instead of another EPT? More firepower or more defenses?

Then rebuild and give it another go.

(example:
I want to try Asajj Ventress. I know she's going to use the mobile arc and stressing people. She's a control ship.
- That means I am using Gyros to get the free Rotate action, and need to find a crew that assists or deals with stress. Tactician is the best one I can find, and I know 2 stress on a target is far better than 1, so I feel good in that choice.
- For EPT, I can use VI to bring her up to 8, which is good, but let's look at her a bit closer. She has a good dial with green turns, so I can choose a self-stress mechanic without too many issues. PTL is always a good choice, but I think I actually want to try Expert Handling to get a re-positioning action. And I cannot put Engine on since I have Gyros.
- Illicit upgrades are good, and BMSTs work well with Stress, so we'll see what our point totals look like if we add one.
- Do I need the title, it's good, but expensive. I will be trying to keep things in arc, but it also means I will need other pilots with lower Pilot Skill to take advantage. We'll take a look at the rest of the squad and determine if I need this later.
Assaj point cost thus far (44 points)

Now, what are my weaknesses, I know a tie crack swarm will eat Ventriss alive, so I need something that eats TIEs, usually an arc dodger.
Let's choose the new protectorate fighter, Fenn Rau
- Married to PTL if I want to arc-dodge.
- Can carry Autothrusters, so must carry Autothrusters.
- The Title I'm not sure is necessary since I want to be flanking, but we'll keep it in mind if we have the points left over.
(33 points)

Now I need something to help with the big ships
Always a favorite of mine, N'Dru Suhlak puts the hammer down on big ships.
- N'Dru, Fearlessness, Cluster Missiles, Guidance Chips, Glitterstim.
(24 points)

Well that is 101 points, which is just too many, time to see what we can remove, I can take away BMSTs, or switch my EPT from Expert Handling to VI. Let's go with EH to VI, and put it on the table.
Did I make a mistake in changing the EPT? Can it really survive a crack swarm? I don't know if I have anything to deal with Palp-Aces other than getting N'Dru over to Palp as fast as possible.
)

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Improbable Lobster posted:

Outrider 2400 with a tractor beam
I can't wait to try out some Rey action on the 2400.
Dash Rendar (36)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autoblaster (5)
Rey (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Outrider (5)

Just a 53 pointer that also requires a 3+ point initiative bid. Feels like I'm MWGing it up, but I'm genuinely excited to try this out.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Strobe posted:

Dice mods > raw dice.
This is really something that should be hammered into people.
Just taking a Focus, your odds are always better.
((ATK * .5) + (ATK * .25)) > ((ATK+1) * .5)

In other words, don't boost into Range 1 if you have a 4 Dice Primary, take Focus. The possibility of 5 damage is tempting, but less variance is a good thing.

Also, it's okay to take Target Lock sometimes if you think your dice are betraying you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Strobe posted:

There's an equivalence point going from 2 dice to 3 where this isn't strictly true, and you have an expected average of 1.5 hits either way but 3 dice has a higher peak that you probably want to move toward.

Once you hit 3 dice focus is always better.

You're right if you are flying a 2 dice ship you want range 1 more than a focus.

Sorry, haven't flown TIE fighters in a while.

• Locked thread