Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Exclusive SMT x Fire Emblem footage
Then at the end they'll be "Just kidding! It's canceled."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

whaley posted:

Watch out. Darksiders is nothing like Zelda

2 is more like a crappy Diablo clone but the original Darksiders is extremely Zelda. It's just that the tutorial is a few hours long and feels more like God of War more than anything but once that's over you've got lots of Zelda style exploration and puzzles.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ikanreed posted:

I would watch an anime based on Baldur's Gate.

Planescape Torment: The anime.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

John Cena loves Fist of the North Star and that's anime, so who am I to argue with John Cena?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dead or Alive 5 is a bit better and has more depth to it than the previous games because some of the Virtua Fighter developers helped out in the development. It's still got plenty of anime titty ninjas as is series tradition but the fighting itself is pretty solid.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Jarogue posted:

50 Cent Blood on the Sand HD port only on Wii U.

You could swear into the Wii U gamepad microphone instead of pressing the dedicated swear button.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Thank you for the pikmin recommendation. It is much appreciated!

I started hyrules warriors and am enjoying it. But I don't hear any speech. Is this right? I can read it fine. Is everyone supposed to be a mute

Nobody has voice acting in the proper Zelda games outside of grunts and laughs and the like, so yes it's normal. Link in particular has always been mute in anything that's not the lovely CDI games or the abysmal cartoon.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm not sure I'd want a Zelda game to be voice acted. If it is, I'd rather they spoke in Hylian or other fictional languages like Midna did in Twilight Princess and Fi did in Skyward Sword. Barring the fact that Fi spoke entirely too drat much anyway so imagining her speaking English or Japanese constantly would be a nightmare.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Jesus. Was not expecting that.

I wonder what this means for the future?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lemming posted:

Sakamoto promoted to CEO.

Don't even joke about that I swear to God.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Legendia had an okay story, interesting setting, nice characters and excellent music but godawful gameplay.

Symphonia 2 has a bad story, a rather boring setting, awful characters, only a few standout tracks and godawful gameplay.

So yes, worse than Legendia.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I love the Power Glove, it's so bad. - John Numbers

We need to get good at Mario so we can beat him in the next NWC in 20 or so years time.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

...Are you still using Nesticle and ZSNES?

I know people who still swear by ZSNES to this day. They tend to play a lot of ROM hacks though which makes sense, more accurate emulators don't tend to work very well with modified ROMs.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah don't play The Lost Levels. It's simply not worth it. The All Stars Version manages to be even worse if you're totally OCD and want to 100% the game, since if you beat the game without using warp pipes then you've got World 9, A, B, C and D as bonus worlds to complete.

You should play the Mario Land to Wario games and also the Yoshi games until you hit the DS games though. They're all consistently good.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Japanese Mario 2/Lost Levels is by far the hardest Mario game. That one requires you to do trick jumps and has invisible blocks above platforms that will screw you over and knock you down into a pit below. People basically call it a ROM Hack of Mario 1 and it's not hard to see why.

Mario 3 is a lot easier in comparison and you've got a lot more utility. It only starts getting difficult around World 7.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

All Stars uses different physics for SMB 1 and Lost Levels when it comes to hitting blocks, which throws some people off. Lost Levels also lets you go to the Letter Worlds after you beat World 9, instead of making you go through the game 8 times like the Famicom version. US SMB 2 and SMB 3 are more or less the exact same game with a better color palette though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but here it goes: how well does Mario 64 hold up? I'm in the midst of a serious Mario-binge and I never owned an N64, so my exposure to Mario 64 is limited to what I played at a Sears kiosk in 1996. I'm thinking about grabbing it for my Wii U.

Very well so long as you're using a decent controller. The camera can be a bit finicky too but it's way better than most 3D games at the time.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Wii U's biggest problem is the rather weak processor meaning even last-gen ports weren't going to run as well, and marketing. I still remember the E3 where the Wii U was unveiled and I thought it was a tablet add-on for the Wii, not a new console.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

The Gameboy Advance SP was great for its time despite its questionable ergonomics because it had a backlight on it. It might not seem like a big deal now, but before the SP came out you either played with a light or not at all. And some games were so dark that you could barely see them regardless of the lighting conditions. The SP was revolutionary.

The problem was that some GBA games compensated for the lack of a backlight by making everything so vibrant, so when you play it on an SP it actually ends up hurting your eyes. Meaning Nintendo should probably have just included a backlight in the first place to avoid this problem.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Chaltab posted:

On the other hand Sonic 06 might have been a good game if Sega had allowed Sonic Team to finish it.

No. Even if the game was polished to a mirror sheen and there were absolutely no bugs and glitches, it'd still be a tremendous failure in level design, art direction and story and that'd be enough to still consider it one of the worst Sonic games.

The difference between Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom is that Sonic 06 is so terrible it comes back around to being kind of interesting, while Sonic Boom is just boring even despite the myriad of technical problems.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rexroom posted:

Did those other Project Zero/Fatal Frame releases get the Virtual Console treatment? Will it be even likely? :ghost:

Extremely unlikely. The Wii remake of 2 was only released in Japan and Europe and 4 never got localized at all. 1 - 3 are on PS2 though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rexroom posted:

Well that's good, since I'm in the PAL region. So maybe I can find a copy of 2.

There is a fan translation patch for 4 that I think manages to bypass the region lock as well, so long as it's a legit copy of the game but I've no idea if it also works on Wii U or just the plain ol' Wii.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

4 isn't really worth the hassle, there's a reason they didn't localise it when every other game has been.

4's not that bad, when it's working. It's very, very buggy though which is the reason it never got localized, it was too much effort to actually fix the game so it'd be fit for an overseas release.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think Fatal Frame 3/Project Zero 3 is the only game where the good ending is actually canon. All the others seem to follow off of the bad or at least normal endings. So yeah, the series gets really dark and somewhat depressing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Minor thing in Project Zero;

I don't know how, but I swear I am going to find a way to burn down the goddamned Shrine of Dolls. :suspense:. I will admit I liked the quiet jump-scare of reaching down to pick up an item and then standing back up to see a doll's movie closer, no cheap music sting or anything, just there.

Fatal Frame/Project Zero loves its doll scares. The Kiryu household in 2 especially is nervewracking if you hate dolls.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Removing creepy costumes for 12 year old potato faced girls is good. Removing a breast slider is kind of... really dumb because it's just a customization option. It's kind of like how I didn't care Fatal Frame 5 removed the bikini costumes until I learned they also altered story cutscenes too, which I'm not okay with.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

Gonna have to agree with the peeps who think Xenoblade Chronicles's final boss theme is better than the one for that Gust game.

Mostly because I was listening to both outside of context and I couldn't stand listening to the Gust one after the first few seconds.

Well the plot of Atelier Ayesha is about saving your sister and the final boss theme is reflecting that. The plot of Xenoblade is about some crazy dude who thinks he's God so a One Winged Angel ripoff boss theme is appropriate for that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

greatn posted:

I just watched some Fallout 4, why are the graphics on this next gen game much worse than Xenoblade on WiiU. Holy poo poo that game is ugly.

Fallout 4 is uneven. It looks great in some places and like a PS2 game, worse than Fallout 3 even, in others. I don't know why, other than it's just Bethesda being Bethesda.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The breast slider thing is dumb though, if they'd left it in a grand total of zero people would have actually cared.

Pretty much. I understand the logic behind altering Lin the potato's costumes, but I don't understand removing character creation sliders because all it's done is cause a shitstorm.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The scariest moment for me in a Fatal Frame game is when you're playing as Miku in Fatal Frame 3 and go into a claustrophobic crawl space and you suddenly hear weird noises and so you turn around there's a goddamn speedy ghost right behind you. Near enough made me jump out of my seat.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Someone hold that conductor down and stick the baton between their teeth before they bite their tongue :ohdear:.

Colours was amazing (at least compared to some of the other Sonic games), and it's kinda sad they've regressed into crappy gimmicks again when the development team actually stated the reason for the 2D stuff; They realized they could use 2D platforming instead of the usual unfun gimmicks to stretch courses between the big 3D moments. It worked really well, but then Colours and Generations did well enough for management to warrant handholding them or something and, well, Sonic Boom and Sonic Lost World happened :sigh:.

Well Sonic Boom was made by completely different developers who had to change the platforms to develop it for midway through (the game runs on Cryengine 3 which modern consoles can support, but the Wii U doesn't officially support so most of the development was trying to get Cryengine working on the Wii U and it went from being multi-platform to Wii U exclusive so Sega could fulfill some kind of weird contract with Nintendo) and Lost World is a very experimental game, one that didn't quite work and I think they could have gone at least one more game with the Unleashed/Colors/Generations style of gameplay but, still.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

homeless snail posted:

In terms of bad gimmicks in Sonic games, the night stages in Unleashed aren't even that bad imo. They are at least playable compared to some of the other dumb poo poo they've done.

The biggest problem with them is that the stages went on way too drat long. The night stages were honestly kind of fun at first, but the length of the stages as well as how quickly monotonous the combat becomes dragged the whole experience down. If they cut the length of the night stages in half and added a new more neat tricks to the combat, people would probably have looked upon Unleashed much more favorably.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

If Nintendo make a proper new Metroid game, they should probably wisely retcon and ignore Other M. That game doesn't even fit into the continuity of the Japanese developed Metroid games, nevermind the Prime games since it completely screws up the continuity with Metroid Fusion, since that game's big plot twist was the exact same as Other M's and it even ruins the characterization of the prequel manga where Samus's backstory comes from when she encounters Ridley.

Other M can only really work in a vacuum where Super Metroid and itself are the only games in the series.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SRM posted:

I want to make a sequel to Other M. I'd call it

Metroid: Better M

That already exists. It's called Metroid: Fusion.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm not really sure why you'd want to go onto another region's e-shop anyway. The Wii U is the only console this gen which isn't region free, so even if you could switch regions you'd be unable to launch any games or apps downloaded from the e-shop.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Keep Link as a boy but make Zelda a boy also.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm not going to get involved in this mess, but I do find it extremely weird that Zoe Quinn in further tweets, doesn't think Watergate was "career ruining" considering it led to the resignation of a US president and 48 others got charged. It's an unfortunate joke and I have sympathy for her but I think saying Watergate wasn't career ruining is a rather self-absorbed thing to say.

Rexroom posted:

Why go only halfway? Ban all -gates.

Aw, poor Shadowgate.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Anyone buying #FE on Friday?

Oh, it's being released in Europe on the same day. That's neat, why can't all of Atlus' releases do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

It's Nintendo published and thus released by them, not Atlus.

Oh. Well why can't all of their games be published by Nintendo then? Or have Sega do their jobs and publish games in Europe themselves?

• Locked thread