Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
The OP doesn't list Xenoblade Chronicles 10, which is due out early next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Sitting Bull posted:

Of the games I have, Pikmin is my favorite. I'm not so into 2d/3d scrollers, so DKC TF is out--
Other than some barrel blasting segments, Tropical Freeze is entirely 2D, so give it a look.

Otherwise definitely check out Wonderful 101, I just got it from Amazon today and it's pretty rad.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Please you've seen Bayonetta in Samus and Princess Peach costumes. Those are adorable.

Fremry posted:

I was already planning on getting Bayonetta 2, but this totally cements it. I didn't realize they were going with a Belgium/Italy influence for the location. That church picture looks awesome.
It really does look nice. Given the opening level appears to be Chicago it looks like there's some globe-trotting in this one.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

enojy posted:

Kinda hard to tell from the low resolution stills. Gonna do the right thing and wait on MARIO_WIIU's confirmation before buying.
It has nice water that you can use to kill things.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

poo poo, who brought up Warioworld? I played that tons as a kid. Is it not that good? I remember it being good.
He was talking about a hypothetical 3D collectathon starring Wario not the actual Gamecube game Wario World.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

I would like to point out that Ubisoft isn't pulling all support from Wii U, just M-Rated games. Ditto Activision, though it is a bit puzzling that Platinum's Legend of Korra is skipping Wii U when it's coming to last gen systems.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

C'mon man that's just mean, why would you want platinum to release a third game on the Wii-U that nobody buys?
Third? Platinum's only released one Wii U game so far right? Edit: Unless you're predicting poor sales for Bayonetta/B2... which... Yeah, I guess.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Say whatever DID happen to the shitpost about Wii U thread? It kind of served a valuable function.

Nolgthorn posted:

Watching a Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon playthrough for 3DS it looks really good like the best possible combination of a Mario game and Ghostbusters.

However it seems the only full sized offering is the original Luigi's Mansion ala Gamecube. We all know Gamecube games aren't on Wii U. There feels like there is a big gap. Is it possible these (year-old) rumours could be true that Dark Moon is coming to Wii U or is this all very unlikely to happen.

http://nintendonews.com/2013/10/luigis-mansion-dark-moon-wii-u-discovered-on-best-buy-website/
Unlikely is understating it. I don't think there were really 'rumors' so much as a listing mistake on Amazon or something. If anything we're more likely to see and HD Remaster of the first game along side other choice gamecube titles.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

gently caress man, it's friday night... I'll do it hold on
Wait they thought Melia was tsundere, what the gently caress. Half the reason the game is so good is that the characters aren't unbearable anime cliches.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

I think it goes back to Nintendo's fear that they'll get bad publicity when some six year old gets a stream of profanity and racial slurs out of his Gamepad speaker.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Natron posted:

They actually did this when they announced it. Unfortunately, adding U to something doesn't mean anything to anyone, so people don't hear WiiU and think it's a new thing. It's a terrible name, and I know they wanted to capitalize on the Wii brand, but they did it in almost the worst possible way. I really think more people would buy it (or at least be aware of it) if it wasn't so stupidly named.
What I don't understand is how it made it all the way through development and release. You'd think somewhere along the way someone would have said "Wait this name is stupid, it doesn't convey *new console* at all."

Even Reggie couldn't sell it during the 2011 E3 announcement.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

I remember watching that event, chatting with a bunch of people over a forum's chatbox, and having a small debate as we tried to figure out whether it the tablet somehow 'upgraded' existing consoles, was just a new peripheral, or indeed was a new console. We had it mostly figured out by the end, but good lord it was not clear from the get go.
See, that just strikes me as weird. I mean, if you're not really a tech savvy person and you're just watching the presentation to report on it or because it was on, perhaps, but the tech demos they showed off in 2011 were clearly far and above anything the Wii could be expected to produce, even if the tablet could somehow upgrade it. I wasn't surprised when people who didn't watch the presentation were confused, but I don't know how people who did got confused.

Also holy poo poo Wonderful 101, what do I have to do to satisfy your Platinum medal requirements? I take as little as 350 damage and it still drops me to a gold medal.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Also always save the space veggies and only use them to make credit cards.
...wait what?

e; vvv I didn't even know there was a crafting system.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 25, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I have save data for Xenoblade and SSBB on my Wii. I'd like to move only the data for Xenoblade to my Wii U and leave the SSBB on my Wii so I can continue using my GameCube controllers to play it. What's the easiest way to pull this off?

I posted about this in the old thread and then never followed through, and now I can't find it. I'm sorry for being an rear end in a top hat and asking again.
Copy your SSBB data to a different SD card than the one you're using for the transfer. E; or if you're not doing a full system transfer just do what Supercar said.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

All this Wii transfer talk is making me wonder what the benefit would be for me to transfer my Wii data to my Wii U. My Wii has a decent amount of legit VC purchases but I've since soft nodded it to hell. Would doing the transfer wreck my poo poo? Or is there some kind of backup wizardry I can do to safely get my VC licenses over to the Wii U?
The transfer doesn't mess with homebrew at all.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Oh also apparently that Unity presentation they let it slip that indie darling Gone Home is coming to Wii U. So I guess brace yourself for another around lesbian jokes and 'it's not really a game' debates, now on Miiverse.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nintendo just twitted it's WiiU lineup to the end of 2015

Cool holiday season, but hopefully they have some cards up their sleeve for 2015.
Considering Star Fox, Splatoon, Mario Maker, and Kirby's Rainbow Curse weren't even announced until three months ago I'd say they'll probably have some surprises.

Wild Knight posted:

So, uh, Xenoblade question I guess. I just fought Tyrea and the Telethia in the Entia Tomb. For the entire fight, Shulk could not damage her - everything he did made him bounce off her and only did 1 damage. I tried doing everything I could think of, Breaking or Toppling or Purge, but none of it worked and I ended up relying on Dunban and Riki the whole fight. I noticed he was having the same trouble with the earlier minibosses that were similar. Did I miss something stupidly obvious?
That was a lot of fun for me. My first go I went in Shulk and won after a long fight, only to have the game crash. SO I had to reload from the last hard save, replay the whole tomb, and then lose the fight because I changed up the team but forgot the important detail of rotating Shulk out.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

This game looks like it's going to be the best.

I still have to play the first game though.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pretty sure the Wii U can handle less stiff facial animations, developer!

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

The lightning and wet clothing effects look nice, but yeah otherwise it kind of looks like HD RE4.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Fabulous Knight posted:

I'm in the same boat here. I really want to play 3D Land, NSMBU, MK8, WWHD, Tropical Freeze and Pikmin. At least. The problem is that Zelda U, Xenoblade X and the Toad game are pretty much the only upcoming games I'm interested in.

I'm not getting a Nintendo console for multiplatform games so the exclusives are all I really care about. I don't know if owning a console for ten games is worth it.

Really tho when I spell it out like that it seems like I really should get this thing.

A Wii U successor is 2016 at earliest, right?
What about Yoshi's Wooly World, Kirby's Rainbow Curse, and Smash Bros. 4?

Plus you said yourself that a successor is coming in 2016 at the earliest (I'd say 2017 at the earliest, Nintendo's never waited less than 5 years), and there will definitely be things other than Xenoblade and Zelda next year. I think there's plenty of justification to get a Wii U if those are the sorts of games you're into.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 13, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Shelf Adventure posted:

Does Bowser actually have a kingdom? Or is he king of the koopa like Jesus is King of the Jews?
Maybe his Empire is of the metaphorical Industrial kind, apparently he actually did become an Oil Baron like he wanted to in that "Ignorance is Bliss" song.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

Good thing then that the Prime titles are FPA games. Also Prime 2 and 3 were great games, period. :colbert:
Except Torvus Bog.

gently caress Torvus Bog.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Level Slide posted:

How do you optimize a game?
Figure out what the developers of Sonic Boom did and do exactly the opposite.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

kater posted:

Is Smash supposed to be unplayable garbage online? I bought it yesterday and tried twice now and it's just utter hell. Also I quit after a minute or two into the first game and when I tried again hours later it told me I had to sit in time out for ten minutes longer. What the gently caress.
Yes if you quit during a match you can't play for ten minutes. It's to discourage rage quits.

Honestly the lag, it might just be your connection. I've played hundreds of matches and I've had noticeable lag in *maybe* 10% of them. Even fewer where the lag rendered it unplayable.

Tracula posted:

So bought a Wii U. Plug it in and it brings up the white screen with the Wii U™ logo and hangs there forever. Can't sync to it and can't do anything else, even holding down the power button doesn't work. I presume that I got a lemon?
That sounds like the case.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Housh posted:

Do you get Club Nintendo points for buying DLC and extra content? Like the Mario Kart DLC pack?
It would seem not, I got nothing on my Club Nintendo account. (This is NA, not sure about where you live.)

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

raditts posted:

There was the lovely ending part of Zero Mission.
It wasn't lovely. :colbert:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The obvious setup would be to make Samus the new "last Metroid", on the run from all the different factions who want to capture her for their own ends.
This could be cool but I'm not sure how it would work gameplay wise. Retro were told they couldn't even have Samus, a bounty hunter, hunting bounties in Metroid Prime 3... for some reason. I doubt shooting up GF troops would be acceptable.

mycot posted:

Well Team Ninja was handed Metroid and look how that turned out.
That wasn't their fault!

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

raditts posted:

Well, guess I'm alone on that one then. I thought that part was terrible, stealth sections have no place in a Metroid game IMO.
They were some of the best parts of Fusion too! You're full of bad opinions! :catstare:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

13/f/cali posted:

I can think of literally one Wii U game that you can't play using the gamepad at all and that's virtual console Duck Hunt, for the obvious reason of "how would that work?"
Actually you could still theoretically play it assuming the Gamepad's IR bars remain active while emulating NES games.

Of course you'd still need a Wiimote to actually shoot anything.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Amppelix posted:

You should in fact buy SMG2
This. SMG2 is so good and is to this day the only game I've ever felt compelled to get 100% completion on.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Tropical Freeze is better than all that poo poo, especially fuckin Bloodborne and The Last Of Us, so good work on your new best console
Bloodborne isn't even out yet :psyduck:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I don't think Super Mario Brothers 2 should be in the timeline. Wasn't it all a dream in Mario's head? Like the movie Inception is based on Mario Brothers 2.
The SMB2 he put on his timeline is The Lost Levels.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Did they ever put Kraid in these games? I can't remember.
Kraid is not in any of them, no.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Jarogue posted:

Keep it as lovely broken game or fix it into a lovely boring game.
Spoiler: It's still plenty broken after the update.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Unless somehow the homebrew people can get whatever launchers they can run to recognize the GC adapter, then Project M can only be played with Wiimotes and the various accessories that connect to them.
To be fair, that can include a Gamecube controller.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

The dynamo room and it's boss in the Phazon mines is about thirty to forty minutes from the previous save point. In fact, that boss blocks access to the first save room inside the mines.

(Can you tell what I just bumped up again on my veteran difficulty playthrough?).
Are you sure you didn't miss a save room? There's one at the start of the mines.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Swapping beams is a pain in the rear end, it really is and I love Prime. It's harder than it was in the GC ones because you don't have a button specifically for each beam, and while the quick-change (Flash Fact: tap the beam/visor change button on your Wiimote and you'll swap back automatically to the default beam or visor!) is cool, it's there to accomodate for the fact that changing beams is a lot more of a cumbersome process than it was, AND it takes attention away from the enemies on screen because the weapon swap occupies your visual field.

It's better for the control scheme to have them stack, and if they wanted to do beam swapping again, they'd need to incorporate it better into the controls.
Assuming the hypothetical Wii U Metroid even uses the remote.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I do wish TLoU was on Wii U, though. But you can play that on your PS3 so it's hardly an exclusive.
I have a PS3 and I still wish TLoU was on Wii U or PC. Better graphics aside, there's the problem that my cats broke all my PS3 controllers. :colbert:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Fremry posted:

I got my Wii U refurb for $200, I'm getting a PS4 for free, so I might actually buy a Bone if there's a bunch of good poo poo in a couple years. I really don't feel a need for either the PS4 or Bone right now, but free PS4 is something I won't say no to.
If all else fails just sell it and make ∞% profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Dragged them off the table onto the hard wood floor while they were plugged in. Thing is I didn't know how the first one got broke until they did it a second time.

• Locked thread