Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I don't know if it was mentioned but apparently there's a new Nintendo Direct coming tomorrow that's wholly dedicated to Xenoblade X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Splatoon has it's own (Japanese) homepages. Yay?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I've been thinking of getting a Wii U lately, and it's all because of Splatoon. Please tell me this is a bad idea.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

noirstronaut posted:

I'm legitimately surprised that, even with Nintendo being stuck in 1984, there's not a standalone chat app that can be carried over into games kinda like how Xbox Live parties worked. I guess I'm not really surprised as much as I am wishful.

Nintendo wants to protect their Family Friendly image. I don't think smack talking 8 year olds fit that image.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I remember reading the Splatoon devs talking about the voice chat option some time ago: They thought about including it but eventually decided to drop it because they said something in the effect of the game being too hectic.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Holy crap, that Direct...!

I think I'll starve to death this year.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Look at this way: You can play Hyrule Warriors anytime and always find something new. It's not as if your life depended on finishing it 100% soon.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I was in school when the first Mario Party came out for the N64 and I still remember the scar in the palm of my hand due to the "rotate the joystick like a mad man" games.

Anyone else had that nintendo stigmata experience? I'd rather leave the N64 controller buried in the past.

No, but I weared out the skin on my thumb for playing Super Mario World like an obsessed individual back in the day. Eventually the pain became too much and I had to stop.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
There's a new Japanese Xenoblade X Direct coming shortly in an hour and a half's time. Yay?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Smoremaster posted:

There's gonna be a Wii U zelda game in the future, right?

Sure. Just not in this year.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

32GB console with Splatoon (download code) and Nintendo Land (pre-installed), Best Buy-exclusive, $300. You'd think they could have thrown in an Amiibo or something.

Wow, Nintendo really is banking on this game - and it isn't even a part of an established IP.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Splatoon reminds me of those chaotic Quake deathmatches I played obsessively back in the day. It's been a while since I last saw something where you jumped in with (ink) guns blasting. So yeah, I'm interested.

I only wish it has some community features included - if not from the start then in some future update. But Nintendo is still pretty fresh to this whole online play thing, so... eh.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Shops here in Finland have started listing Wii U 8G basic model+Splatoon-packages, so they're pushing it hard to the consumers. At least you can't say they didn't give it enough support.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Argue posted:

I'm asking because where I live, Mario Kart's online works great and Smash's is awful; I don't know if the single player campaign would be enough to justify a Splatoon purchase if it turns out the online is donked.

Probably similar to Smash, since FPS (or TPS if you're being anal) tend to have a lot of stuff happening with some split second reactions. Mario Kart in comparison doesn't have that much traffic going on.

EDIT: Also, wi-fi sucks. Use a usb-ethernet adapter.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 23, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Waltzing Along posted:

Is this the official Nintendo controller in Japan:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Su...=item35e8392403

Yes.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Speaking of Xenoblade... Nintendo is having a Direct tomorrow.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
So they localized Xenoblade Chronicles X's Dolls to Skells? Yeah, we don't wanna make it look like little Johnny is playing with dolls now. :gay:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

WadeBartender posted:

lmao like any little kid is gonna touch xenoblade chronicles x anyway

Let me rephrase then:

We don't wanna make it sound like Johnny is playing with dolls. That's ultra gay, man. What would his gamer bros think.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

oddium posted:

are you okay friend

you don't understand!1

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's also a new IP on the WiiU, so I doubt it's gonna sell much either. The game itself looks decent, but things aren't looking good for it.

Rather pessimistic, I'd say. Nintendo sure aren't: They've replaced the Wii U + Smash Bros-bundle with the Wii U + Splatoon one. This nearly caught me by surprise because the shops removed the Smash Bros-bundle that I was going to buy today. Luckily another store had some copies left, so I don't have to wait for the end of the month for the Splatoon-flavoured bundle. I'll get a copy anyway.

And yes, I'm getting a Wii U. :toot:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'm pretty excited for Splatoon, but I wish voice chat with friends was a thing. That said, how will local multiplayer work? Will the Pro controller or wii-mote work?

Hmm, that's a good question. I presume the pro controller will be used, but maybe they'll do something with the wiimote. Or not. As for the local multiplayer, that's just a two player balloon popping race, which is more for practice purposes. The real meat is in the 4v4 multiplayer.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
It was kinda given the local multiplayer will be strictly that, since the gamepad works as a game map from which you can teleport to new locations. And since it's one of the central elements in the game, there's very little solutions for a local online multiplayer to work. Except for an extra gamepad, but you know how that is.

But who knows, maybe Nintendo will think of something in future updates.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Wii U General Discussion - the great Kickstarter debate

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
In other news, Hyrule Warriors has sold over one million units world wide, with about 13% of sales coming from Japan. Koei Tecmo (and Nintendo) are pleased.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 5, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
That isn't the first time Nintendo and Universal collaborate on theme parks. :v:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Day one purchase. Absolutely.

Oh, and dogs smell bad, #teamcat 4 lyfe

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I'm glad they're incorporating some kind of clan game system - if not now then in an update sometime in the future. Goonsquids, perhaps?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I guess Nintendo wants to play it safe and look how the players will play the game, before the release they've mainly played the game in-house. And while 5 maps is... not much, at least they're releasing further ones in the near future.

Cabbagepots posted:

Shouldn't it just be "Goons in Splatoons", because there's a forum called... yeah.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I also noticed they're giving a discount on the eShop Splatoon if you downloaded the demo. Guess I'll buy the download version then.

Also, Splatoon skin for your gamepad. Guess they listened the "just a boring black wii u" whining.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Polo-Rican posted:

I think nintendo's biggest challenge with this game will be dealing with the 8-year old / 30-year-old player divide. Once you play a few games I'm sure the ranking system will do its job, but those first few matches are going to really damage the self-esteem of the actual children playing.

I read that article Edge did on Splatoon and basically Nintendo saw that a bumbling 8-year old could contribute to the team, since you win games painting the arena rather than fragging your opponents. So that's something to keep in mind.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Thread's soundtrack.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

raditts posted:

IIRC they're making cheaper non-figurine versions sometime in the near future for just that reason.

I'm guessing they're only doing it for Japan, since retailers find the amiibo taking too much shelf space for their liking.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Speaking of amiibo, you can get a Mario one as part of art.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I'm pretty useless with console FPS (me being a wasd+mouse man), but the gamepad really proved itself as a FPS-controller. I could easily aim while moving the gamepad. I tried without the motion controller but I was poo poo without it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's a combination of "Americans love shooters" and "PAL-land's online infrastructure is worse than everywhere else and this is a MP-centric game", I guess.

That's funny. I heard the same thing about online infrastructure in america.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Fix posted:

Looks like a good time was had by all. When is the next window?

In five hours time.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Overemotional Robot posted:

Keep in mind this is, like, my opinion man, and I'm completely biased because I pretty much only play PC shoot man games. Just wanted to share my experience.

Your opinion sucks. :colbert:

I'll probably make my mind up what I think about Splatoon after the second test session. It certainly has potential for something big, if they get that clan thing up in August and don't make it too obtuse.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Anime Curator posted:

Haha, from what I hear the Roller is pretty OP.

That'll probably change when people learn to aim and move. They're pretty easy to take out.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I tried using the charger a bit more, and I'm starting to see the potential. You can easily ink large areas if you line your shots enough. Too bad I'm not good at sniping. Maybe when I get the zoom scope in the actual game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but Nintendo released their Financial Results Briefing a couple of days ago.

• Locked thread