Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Boomblox better be on that list, Spielberg's seminal work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

That sounds reasonable.

But I don't think a lengthy list of great games is really a bad thing. Great games be great games.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

PrBacterio posted:

Presumably for the same reason that Mario Kart Wii isn't, because the sequel on the Wii U makes the previous entry kind of obsolete :shrug:

I think they're still good games and I would recommend them if someone wanted to play more NSMB or more Mario Kart?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

My personal list of recommendations, then:

The Legend opf Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart Wii
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
Wario Land: The Shake Dimension
Warioware Smooth Moves
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Sonic Colours
Sonic and the Black Knight (yeah, it's fun and cheap all right)
Sonic and the Secret Rings (see above)
Battalion Wars 2
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (yes, really)
MadWorld
Boom Blox
Wii Play
Wii Sports
Cooking Mama (sorta)
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

List no more than ten games, those everyone deem universally good, then say something "Looking for more, check this list" and link to something like this or similar.

That's a solid list.

I think this is a good idea.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

gay skull posted:

That game does suck on Wii though, when it was great on DS - not to mention it did loving suck to be burned by the game coming out with the name "Second Opinion", which makes it sound like a sequel to the first game when it was just a port. That was a pretty bullshit move to pull.

Oh man, I didn't know that. Thanks. I have both Wii games in my to-play pile and was going to play New Blood first.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Wait so you can't use the Wii U Gamepad to scan Disney Infinity figures?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

zenintrude posted:

No... but in this case it makes (somewhat) sense because you hot-swap out discs and characters as needed, and if you had to do that with the NFC on the controller it would be annoying.

Swapping out discs and characters? Sounds like me trying to install a game I got free with a PC magazine on floppy discs.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Well, who was buying Call of Duty on the Wii U anyway?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Ultigonio posted:

Why the heck not? I mean, shoot, I almost tagged this thread with the "GameCube" tag when I was making it.

Gamecube games I want in the eshop: as many as possible.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Does anyone know when Nintendo are doing any TGS stuff?

When will I find out we are getting Skyward Sword HD for Wii U?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Why does everyone say Double Dash is so bad, and why am I weird for it being in my top list of GC VC wants?

Discounting MK8, it's probably my favourite MK.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Well I'm glad people seem to like it more than it seems, then! I forgot about the different drift boosts, but it was never that hard so I just got used to it. I still do it sometimes when drifting in later Mario Karts.

I think it has a lot of great tracks, but I don't think the selection of Double Dash tracks in retro cups has really been great at showcasing that. At least MK7 has both Daisy Cruiser and Dino Dino Jungle.

Also co-op Mario Kart was rad with like 4 people.

e:
I wonder if all of the DLC tracks will be original courses, or if they'll be the traditional original/retro 50/50 split?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Is there any news or precedent for the preorder Hyrule Warriors skins eventually becoming DLC?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I don't get it, why would anyone buy an Amiibo?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I'm all about the artbooks, though those shoot up in price within months if they're any good.

The Hyrule Historia is about £12 on Amazon right now so I got that and it is delicious.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Nintendo is the last bastion for awesome platforming games.

Rest in peace Jak & Daxter 1.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

It came out Friday? So it's been out 2 days now.

I'm liking it but the "Legend" mode seems really short. Haven't finished it, but I'm already in the epilogue with casual play?

The thing about that is it's not really the end of Legend mode.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

If we can't use the GC adapters for anything but Smash then I guess I will never get to play my N64 VC games in Wii mode.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I wrote a dumb thing about the Mewtwo Smash Bros. thing. Come read my dumb thing.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Every Zelda game takes place in its own time period and you really shouldn't worry about where it fits on which timeline, but it will become clear where it takes place in relation to other games.

Every Zelda game except for the ones that don't.

Zelda timeline stuff can be kind of neat to a fan, but you can easily just never think about it and it's fine.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Seeing people talking about Hyrule Warriors I thought I'd just weigh in and say I really love it. For me it's one of the most solid games available on the Wii U currently, and I think it's part of the solid line up that the Wii U needs.

I wrote a full review just very recently if anyone is into reading it. http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/review-hyrule-warriors/

Still, I'm more of a Zelda fan than a Warriors fan, so I guess it could potentially be disappointing if you're a fan of the latter. I've never even played another Warriors game. I do have Dynasty Warriors 6, but my co-worker says it's the worst one.

greatn posted:

Serious post, I had a dream I was in an elevator a few years ago, and instead of using it I just stood in it for several minutes doing nothing. Then Totaka's song began to play. I freaked out and ran out of the elevator screaming at the office "No! We're not real! Its all a game! I heard the song!"

When you hear Tokata's song that's when you know the Reaper is coming for you.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Well, I ordered a Luigi amiibo to get the free hat from the UK Nintendo store.

Guess I have to buy Smash on the Wii U now.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Will there be a Year of Waluigi in our lifetimes?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Yesterday you could not pre-order this Wii U Earthbound product. Today you can. Anyone know what's up with this? Is it a thing?

Earthbound (Nintendo Wii U) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CEUQ9Y0/

CatsPajamas posted:

That website is offensively faux-Japanese but the review was well-written if not really in-depth. You did a good job summarizing some of the main aspects of the game, but I think you didn't have to repeat so often how you haven't played other Warriors games / don't know about Warriors / can't speak for Warriors fans, etc. Though as a side note, if you're having trouble with the giant bosses, you should know you can bait out their weak point exposing attacks by positioning yourself correctly (the guard button helps with that - yes, the game has a guard button). Also there's a surprising amount of undocumented depth to the game, including things like counter attacks and combo/attack variations.

It's great to see the Wii U doing well because there is a solid collection of awesome titles for it, and I want them to succeed so that we get more games like that. Hyrule Warriors really surprised me by being excellent, when before getting it I didn't know what to expect. I actually think there are a number of games like that on the Wii U, I'd count ZombiU too since it's not just a generic zombie shooter but is actually really great. It's neat to be pleasantly surprised by a game every once in a while.

Thanks. Not being familiar with Warriors did make me feel a little bit like I was wearing horseblinders, though my coworker was luckily happy to field my queries. I'd love to check out ZombiU sometime. I like the cute website mascots.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

zfleeman posted:

So I just explained the Wii U, compatible controllers, the gamepad in general, and the smash adapter debacle to a friend, and wow this console is still really confusing to explain to people.

I don't really understand it either and I've had it for a few months now. Top that with me already ordering an Amiibo and still being pretty much baffled at how they'll work outside of Smash and I guess I'm pretty clueless.

--

Here's a thing I wrote about waggle controls in the recent generation: Eight Defining Games of the Waggle Generation. It never bothered me that much, and I think it settled down towards the end of the Wii's life cycle (disregarding Skyward Sword I guess). I wasn't bothered at the waggling in either Wii Zelda but I've always wished I could sit down and play them waggle-less. I'm personally hoping for HD announcements to that effect.

I really like the way the Wii U has advanced the motion controls of the Wii, so that now it's primarily just the subtle, gyro stuff as in Wind Waker HD. I think those can enhance the normal gaming experience without changing it too much, if you know what I mean?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

greatn posted:

Eh, just thrust your stick in the direction of your slash(like a smash attack), click for a stab, tilt around to wiggle your sword around. All the other items would be easily controlled without waggle .

I appreciate like a toggle for waggle game controls.

A waggle toggle if you will.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I have three Amiibo on pre-order. Two for me (Link and Luigi), and one for a friend for Christmas (Diddy).

Say what you will but they really make a great Christmas gift. Good price range, and not the kind of thing everyone can justify buying for themselves, especially not like a whole bunch of them.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

greatn posted:

You're friends with Diddy?

At the end of the day he's a pretty decent guy. The alcohol thing was exaggerated by the press.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Is Nintendont easy and awesome or will it be weird and scary like the Wii homebrew stuff?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I haven't played on any home consoles in a while. Is the Wii U always this kind of loud?

My fans aren't obstructed and I can feel a little bit of air coming from them. Did I just forget how loud home consoles are?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Thanks. I play it at my desk so being this close to the system probably doesn't help.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Is it seriously correct that Kind Dedede Amiibo are already sold out despite not being out yet? Hot drat.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Awesome! posted:

their handling of these things has been ridiculous

all I want in this world is a King Dedede Amiibo

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Crossposting from the 3DS thread for Ninten-chat:

Are Nintendo losing relevance these days? I thought they were doing better the last year or so, but these stats seem to suggest otherwise? Kind of interesting. I did not write this, but I do edit this site. Just wondering why this would be. http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/interest-nintendo-now-time-low-worried/

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

"Should Nintendo be worried?" says idiot website

I had a look on trends myself and it seems that Xbox is a super high search terms compared to Nintendo and PlayStation, even at the moment: http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=playstation%2C%20nintendo%2C%20xbox&cmpt=q&tz=

Though, the console names are more as you'd expect: http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=wii%20u%2C%20xbox%20one%2C%20ps4&cmpt=q&tz=

I think Google Trends can be pretty interesting.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Why do people on a digital publication go by screennames

To be super shady.

I don't know - that's just the way it was done when I started. Do you want to know my real name?

e: It didn't start out with the aim to be super-editorially or anything, it just kind of grew out of a side project. Might be why.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I feel like the current batch of people buying "core" Nintendo products are largely people who grew up with the stuff. Kids today don't care about Mario as much as Minecraft, and gameboys aren't the babysitting tool they used to be when an iPad is like the best possible distraction for a kid.

It does feel like Nintendo games still exist in a whole different era but that's why I really loved getting the Wii U I think.

I booted up SM3DWorld for the first time in a long while yesterday and drat it is just a whole different gaming experience to other consoles. Actually relaxing.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Siochain posted:

I'd argue they aren't. The Wii-U doesn't seem to be considered a part of the "Console Wars". Anecdotal, and within my circle of friends (30-something lifetime nerds, most married/long term relationship, some with kids), a lot of us are still rocking our last-gen systems...except for either a 3DS or a Wii U. PS3 or XBox 360 are both "good enough", but the Nintendo systems are really picking up steam. I have more and more people on facebook commenting on some Wii U or 3DS game they picked up and can't put down than anything about any Sony/MS game. My N64 still sees use, my Wii still sees use, but we sure as hell got rid of our PS1 and PS2 systems.

Yeah, a lot of people I know don't see too much reason to upgrade their PS3 or 360.

Wii U seems to be the most obvious step-up when you take each company on their own. Wii U didn't faff around with cross-gen poo poo and it's been stronger for it I think.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Von Linus posted:

Lots of people I know went PS4. I'm the only Wii U guy I know, and I bought that one second. In fact of the people I know who have or had consoles, all of them bar one (so 6, and not even remotely representative of anything) got a PS4.

I think Nintendo certainly aren't at the peak they were in the 80s and 90s. They were important to kids then and during the Wii boom they weren't important, they were toys for adults, who tend to not to care too deeply about this sort of thing.

Kids still like the poo poo out of Nintendo characters. My daughter screams Princess Peach any time she jumps off something, and plays with her Mario doll. They have the kid pleasing potential, they just need a good platform to grab kids with again. The Wii U isn't it at the moment unfortunately.

The kids I know love the poo poo out of Nintendo IPs on Wii U - Smash Bros, New Super Mario Bros U, Super Mario 3D World. It's a case of making it seem good value for parents mostly.

I think Wii U is probably the most appealing current gen console for a parent for their children - but the issue is "why buy current gen" I think. I've seen a lot of good prices and bundles on Wii Us around Christmas, so maybe that could change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Fremry posted:

The Mario Kart 8 free game was the best. Got New Super Mario Bros. U for free when I bought Mario Kart 8, and then I went to SA Mart to buy a code for Wind Waker HD for $20 and Pikmin 3 code for $18. With the DD promotion, all three of those games gave me $5 codes, and I used that money to get Shovel Knight for free.

It really was. In the end it's what pushed me to get a Wii U.

• Locked thread