Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Ghaz posted:

to be fair, total biscuit is dumb as hell

He is actually very good and honest and has the best gaming PC in the world with dual titans, which enables him to play Hearthstone in sweet sweet 60fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

a hole-y ghost posted:

is she balding? that hairline looks pretty high to me lol

e:

goons will put up with that bullshit when there's anime child sex involved I guess :shrug:

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I take back what I said. I'm no prize or anything but yeah, wouldn't.

Jack the Stripper posted:

Lol, they actually wanted to hit that? People sure are loving desperate these days.

Regence posted:

also lol "I'm going to give up all of my journalistic ethics and integrity for a 3/10 who got hosed by her stepdad." I'd understand if she was remotely attractive but she screams missing kidney the morning after.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I fell for the angle :eng99:

Let the record show that I find this woman of acceptable standards to have intercourse with

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Speedboat Jones posted:

I can't wait to see how these unfuckables react when totalbiscuit dies like a bitch from butthole cancer.

Cancer is actually gods way of showing him that there is no shame in accepting baldness.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

looks like an average woman having sex is enough to make 'gaming culture' suffer a 9/11. Neato!

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Jack the Stripper posted:

Tbh I think this along with many other bullshit she's said is just made up. This woman seems like she's literally begging for attention so I would not be surprised.

My modem finally stopped making that awful dial-up noise and I also believe this

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Shadoer posted:

I decided to do an experiment this morning upon hearing that the SJW conspiracy was totally on the forums. Figuring that since the scandal had advanced and more people were informed, I created a thread in the Game Subforum Imp about it called Quinnspiracy: Zoe Quinn and the Main Stream Media Scandal. Got a few replies and I figured "everything's fine, now Imp has it's own thread about it, people were clearly exaggerating about it, all good."

So upon logging back in, the thread is gone. It's not even moved gone, or gas gone, it's simply gone. It's like it never existed... :tinfoil:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660134

It was bad and no one liked it

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

In It For The Tank posted:

Anyway, Polygon.com writer Ben Kuchera has been exposed as having violated the site's ethics policy by writing a story on Zoe Quinn back in March, even though he has sponsored her on Patreon since January. Polygon's ethics policy explicitly states that their writers are obligated to declare any financial investment in the story they're covering (he didn't), and that they do not pay their sources (he did, technically).

Relevant screenshots.

He can probably rule-lawyer out of it but it's still funny.

This is essentially the same breach of confidence any critic reviewing a game they bought with their own money is guilty of if they do not fully disclose it. And polygon never payed any money for an interview. The comedy well is very dry.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

the fixed that for you meme

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Supernorn posted:

It's kinda gross seeing all these anonymous people so eager to air their dirty laundry. All that definitely happened for sure is that she slept with a bunch of people. Everything else is 'proof' provided by a totally impartial ex-boyfriend with no axe to grind and a bunch of anonymous people on the internet.

I've seen first hand how these dumb little things blow up into 'conspiracies'. Cucking definitely happened and she's probably a giant hypocrite at the very least though.

The whole thing would be funnier if involved people was able to able to communicate in other ways than 4-day simultaneous timecube conspiracy screenshots or John Galt length e/n posts

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

juliuspringle posted:

I'm sorry guys, it was me, I bought Gone Home (during summer sale). I just like games where you walk around and explore stuff. :smith:

It's pretty good. There's a lot of fun stuff to find.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Narciss posted:

Her first mistake was treating sociology like a science. It's not a science; Physics, Chemistry, Biology, etc. are science.

Actually, it's just an application of physics studying a very difficult subject.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

horriblePencilist posted:

She doesn't really offer a platform for legit discussion, and she's been confirmed to delete supportive comments, most likely to change the narrative in her favor. YouTube comments can get really awful, but this is closer to censorship.

Why not post another 4-chan screenshot with arrows on it and names underlined to show how bad it is.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

Oh you think that's bad?

These tweets do not invalidate the first statement but JonTron doesn't deserve to get harassed for calling someone retarded which he maybe should refrain from doing but then again it is a very dumb problem since there are people with much more power proposing that every person with trisomy 21 should be aborted and while questions about priority of political focus is sketchy it is still obvious that asking a youtube personality to stop using bad words is like way down on priorities but hashtag activism to defend stuff is really stupid and it's pretty funny to see it abused but then again some of the tweets are really lame but then again some of them are kinda funny but JonTron is also using his twitteraccount for good by getting people to pay attention to the growing power of ISIS but then again how can a guy be so oblivious doesn't he read the news? Probably not.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

the word retarded offends me much more than jontron's other retarded bullshit that he does

The one thing I personally get angry at is that he gets shamed for loving and caring for birds, which imo is about as bad as raping someone (in the Zoe Quinn definition).

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Read my post again, her address was posted in the 2013 story link. So did she evacuate then?

And its hilarispicious that she suddenly decides to proclaim this while the Zoe fallout she herself barged into by supporting her has yet to subside.

HAY GUYS JUST A REMINDER IM GETTIN DEATH THREATS FROM EVIL MEN!

This is a poo poo post.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

horriblePencilist posted:

tbh I think the screenshot is fake but I don't see why she didn't just take a picture of a misogynistic nerd that actually exists.

Ahaha look at this loving horrible conspiracy screenshot 4-day simultaneous timecube poo poo... but seriously guys, it has some good ideas.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Twitter idiots managed to ground a plane by sending bomb threats but I can't even believe people would send detailed death threats to famous youtube person, even though they obsess over said person so much that they make borderline schizophrenic ms-paint pictures with only thermite can melt steel there was no moon landing Paul is dead style rants.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

XK posted:

I know. I just like JonTron, and he seems like a nice guy whose biggest offense is being opposed to any kind of censorship, and thinking it's stupid for people to get upset at meaningless bullshit. A post calling him a "total retard" over a controversy about him calling a gaming service "retarded", combined with made up claims about what he did, was just too retarded to ignore.

If it's any consolation, he really doesn't deserve all that negative attention for one marginally dumb comment.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I hate this thread because all those conspiracy screencaps are hilarious but instead of laughing at them you stroke your chin and go "Hmmmm, those ovens really can't incinerate that many people"

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

FAROOQ posted:

mkes u tink

This guy's got the right idea

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Let's have a long and serious discussion about Anita Sarkeesian in the Zoe is a bad person thread. I want to discuss everything about her personality, all the funny facts such as that a kickstarter asking for $6000 got $160000, that her video output is slow, that she totally broke the law by taking footage from longplays.org and didn't credit them, that she sounds bored in her video, that she's teaching feminism 101. I want all the details about how everyone in the thread feels about her physical appearance, her earrings, how she totally misinterpreted that game you liked. Let's really dig in and open up about how much we adore or dislike her videos, how she totally manufactures death threats and should grow thicker skin. And every picture of her must have a "would" or "wouldn't".

This is funny.

The cuck meme

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

No, this isn't some "true gamer" bullshit that you get from reddit, either, I just think it more than a bit suspicious that a woman makes a poo poo load of money to put forward a feminist critique off video games, releases her videos at an absolute snail's pace and makes no greater critiques besides "Boy, Damsels in Distress are kind of lame, why can't the damsels do stuff instead?" which is like...I dunno...just struck me as a little weak? Especially since she uses Peach and Zelda as examples--Peach, who has been playable in Mario games numerous times and Zelda, who is among the most powerful and important beings IN the Zelda universe, and...

Like, a lack of agency does not diminish nor weaken a woman's importance in the plot by default. Look at Skyler White in Breaking Bad--and ignoring the actress decrying those who disliked her as misogynists, at least for the moment. She has very little agency throughout the story, and by season 5 she is essentially a hostage to the plot that by and large requires her in no meaningful way, but her importance to the show is not lessened because her lack of agency presents a great deal of the emotional angst of the surrounding characters' descent into evil. As she slowly loses her moral high ground and enters into illegal dealings like Walt does--with even LESS actual success--her lack of agency is not a prop to objectify her with poor writing, but an actual literal and metaphorical binding that shackles her to the ongoing train wreck that her life has become.

I thought the points she made about Zeldas rang true: Zelda can only have agency when disguised, not as a herself. While the reduction of agency in itself is not a problem, the pervasiveness of it, and the ways it continues to manifest makes video games tell women: the important women in this story are passive, while the men are active. The listing is important, as that is the quantification of how this message is common. I have not seen breaking bad, so I have no idea how Skyler is portrayed, but showing that there are legitimate ways of using lack of agency as a plot point does not render the structural argument (e.g. video game creators do not write stories well and resort to structural sexism) moot.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I'm not really upset that Sarkeesian gets all that money, since projects with media coverage gets overfunded on kickstarter all the time, but I am pretty drat happy that the only thing I ever donated money to on kickstarter was a drama project.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Acceptable, and there's no arguing against the fact that Zelda was largely relegated to the role of every other primary female role in the 80's--be it your girlfriend or the princess or whatever. However, it is fair to also say that the portrayals of these Princesses have changed dramatically since those days--where a degree of simplicity was required by limitations of the hardware. There were games--like Metroid--who had active women characters too, and numerous games of the subsequent generation featured male or female characters you could choose from. And from Wind Waker onwards, Zelda herself has been a very active character in the game's events.

It's just annoying to suggest that this is a problem pervasive in games, because it really isn't. There are LOADS of kick-rear end girl characters in games. Fighting game rosters tend to have fighters from both genders, as do racing games. Really, the biggest area of "men's club" gaming that I know to exist is in the realm of first-person shooters (and licensed sports games since nobody pays money to see the REAL WNBA, let alone play the fake computer version), and I would not be surprised if the vast majority of these toxic gamers who harass people and poo poo come from the CoD circles.

And this is to say nothing of games where you can build your own character, and thus make a woman to your specifications who is just as able as male characters are.

This is true, but even the latest Zelda Game still features more or less the exact same trope, with Zelda being relieved of agency in roughly the same way as in LTTP. There are definitely an increase in representation, and this is good, and this is why game devs usually have no problem with feminist critique, they recognise the problem, and as any good capitalist, they want to sell games to everyone. But kidnapped women is still very common, and I would agree with Anita that the twist is to make it darker and edgier, in a way that often makes the game suffer.

When it comes to Samus I would agree. She is a woman with agency, in high-profile beloved traditional games. Until Metroid other M.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

blainestereo posted:

Why is Anita Sarkeesian against hooker NPCs in video games though? Being a hooker is Good and Progressive and Empowering Women because hookers Take Control Of Their Sexuality.

Interesting question, if you want we could have a multi-page discussion about feminism and prostitution here.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

XK posted:

:lol: Non Breaking Bad watching newb.

Seriously though, go watch that as soon as possible.

Well, actually I lied like Anita claiming to be a Gamer, I've actually seen season one, and it seemed good but it was like 3-4 years ago. I have so much tv to catch up on.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

As a man, I am motivated by the concept of my girlfriend getting kidnapped and I gotta go save them. Is that so bad? You gotta motivate people somehow--either you kill some old gently caress who like raised you or you kidnap something that you may want to get down with the get down with, y'know? Those are your cliches. It's either Obi-Wan or Leia. You need a goal to go towards that has emotional meaning.

How do you motivate somebody to play your game? Everyone can understand the emotion of having someone you love get taken away from you. It's fundamental and basic to all human beings. I have absolutely no problem with having girls rescue guys, and I object only to the notion that the trope itself is fundamentally bad. I know a lot of girls who think being rescued by a dashing hero is still the definition of romantic. Are they wrong to think so?

This is a very male-centric motivation still. Which is not in itself a problem, but you have here already admitted "as a man" that the motivation is not universal, in a sense. Note that I'm not saying that women do not understand this motivation, but it is in the same way that blaxploitation movies do not carry messages directly aimed at white people, while the message is universal in some sense (oppression is bad). So I believe we agree to a point. The problem is the structure, any single block in the structure is not a problem.

You also mention the fantasy about getting rescued by a dashing hero. That is off course a valid fantasy, similar to the plot of twilight, say. But the games discussed in Anita's videos are not about being rescued, but about rescuing. So those women you know will be excluded. Their fantasy is not necessarily catered to.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

DrPlump posted:

The issue with female agency in video games is that people like Anita don't want female characters with depth. They want make characters that have a female skin and voice. When making a video game about ancient warriors it doesn't make sense to use women because that is not what happened.

People demand female characters with entirely male attributes but are unable to specify why being the NPC with the sword is better than being the NPC that is captured. The captured NPC is only a woman in the first place in an attempt to be inclusive they could easily be replaced with a man or chest of gold.

The reason for the damsel in distress trope is reality. This is actually what happens when a person is kidnapped in real life. A team of male police or soldiers is sent to rescue them. Can anyone name even a single real life situation in which a group of highly trained women stormed a compound to rescue a captured man.

This isn't about sexism it is about broken women who wish they where born men. They want to be the hero in video games since they can't in real life. Instead of pushing for selective service to include women they would rather push EA to reskin the protagonist in the next call of duty.

This is an ingenious argument. It is an argument for realism, while stories are about symbols.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

DoctorStrangelove posted:

In Jurrasic Park: Trespasser you played as a woman who if you look in third person would see that her body was just an upper torso and a right arm. Your health meter in this game was a heart-shaped tatoo on her breasts.

I have no idea if this is sexist or not.

It's an interesting discussion really. While the game shows a capable female lead, and a heart tatoo in itself is a common motif in culture, and a clever way of displaying health, one could make the argument that the game is an example of how to make female protagonists. However the game itself is terrible and therefore

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

DrPlump posted:

The fat disgusting men of gaming have no illusion about themselves being the actual characters. They are fine with the male hero being 6'5" and ripped as hell because they understand it is a story depicting an approximation of the actual hero.

Their version of arguing for the characters to be women would be them arguing to make the characters short, fat, and fueled by mountain dew.

This is a harmful depiction of players as being unfit and unattractive. And still missing the point of video games as stories.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

This would have been cool until i realized it was an mmo. At least they have an actual prototype.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Is Ditto a good rolemodel for genderfluid people? While being a very popular pokémon due to their ability to mate with any other pokémon and thus showing the virtue of being trans* , the general unattractive featurelessness of it could be construed as a criticism of the non-dicothomous nature of the pokémon. I personally believe that it is a discussion from nintendo about the problem of being everything, and that attractiveness comes not from being everything to everyone, but something to someone.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Bolow posted:

wait why would you as a deposed princess seek out those who deposed you so you can ultimately have no power. :psyduck:

Naturally since having no (formal) power makes her identify with the powerless, and thus, while originally motivated by ambition, ultimately acts out of solidarity.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

sword_man.gif posted:

what the gently caress does that even mean

woman wants back crown, meet people not have crown, realize bad thing person with crown does. No want any crown

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Musket posted:

Is depression quest an actual game or a interactive powerpoint?

It has as much interactivity as an FMV game from mid nineties. Which is incidentally the next game she's planning.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

This is hilarious because it sort of goes to denounce the first point. People accuse her of not playing games, she has legitimately stolen game footage, and a stock photo TAKEN BY HER posing beside games and quite clearly NOT PLAYING THEM is the evidence to exonerate her. I...I mean, come on New Statesman. Aren't you better than this?

She has never stolen any footage in any legal sense. You may find it in bad faith not to link to sources of footage, but it is legal. There are also photos of her playing the games, and in actuality she must have played them since she obviously can retell parts of them in great detail.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Gassing and removing sad boyfriends rant

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Alexzandvar posted:

Anita is only lionized because of all the people who hate her, her actual videos are extremely boring and poorly done, as in first year college student quality. She also purposefully generates controversy by refusing to use any nuance what so ever, so her videos end up just coming off as extremely negative and nonconstructive.

Let's have a discussion. What are the points you feel she misses the most?

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

She takes TV Tropes seriously as a resource, instead of recognizing it as a place for broken sexual deviants to do cargo cult media analysis.

This is quite damning, but is the definition of tropes she quotes wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Alexzandvar posted:

Thinking dead woman's bodies are at all attractive to men, or woman suffering as part of a narrative is bad even if it's necessary to help set the tone of the world the game is set in. She also tends to misrepresent the intent of her actually reasonable critics like sex positive feminists who are more concerned with woman's sexual liberation (IE have strong female characters, who cares if they are hot or not) than viewing every hot woman in a video games as an assault on woman everywhere.

But a dead body can still be sexualized. It can have attributes that we recognize as sexualized while not being attractive. Sex-positive feminism is a thing, but I believe Sarkeesians argument is the requirement for women to be sexualized to be allowed power, that is the power arrives only through sexual attractiveness, where sex-positive is about the right for people to embrace their sexuality without judgment, but not the requirement to do so for respect.

• Locked thread