Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

GhostStalker posted:

So I take it that you don't have either of the special Council mission packs enabled, since if you do, the first Council mission you get is a prompt to start one of them, IIRC. Either that, or you turned down the mission to start them when given the option and just did a regular Council mission instead.

No, it's just very likely to give you one of the special ones first. It's still possible to get a normal one first, that happened to me yesterday.

Also, Speedball, this is a wonderful LP so far! You're really great at narrative ones.

Telum fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I'm pretty sure you do. I can't say for certain, because you get XP from just surviving a mission, but I've had troops only stun stuff in a mission and still get promoted afterwards. I've never really payed attention, but I think mission kills and soldier kill count include stunned enemies. Also, according to the wiki, a successful stun counts for In The Zone.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Krysmphoenix posted:

:psyduck: Why would you ever put your sniper that close to the fight?

While I never would, I can kind of see why you might. I think Speedball said we can discuss abilities and such freely, but I don't remember definitely, so I'll tag this just in case: If you're playing without Training Roulette, they're the only ones to get Low Profile, so with Mimetic Skim they could run up unnoticed, stun, and then retreat again. It could certainly be a use for a covert ops sniper, outside of covert ops; I tend to give them some skills I wouldn't otherwise pick for a sniper (gunslinger, battle scanner - not that they're bad, I just prefer the other ones), so I end up never using them after a point.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I've seen a couple different numbers for the overwatch penalty: 20%, +20% (total 40% penalty) if running; or 30%, *30% (total 51% penalty) if running. From my personal experiences, I'm more inclined to believe the former, although I do tend to have a pretty high standard for troops' aim scores, so that could very well be skewing it.

Despite this, there are two main things that make it very useful: first, enemies really don't like to give you a free shot, even if you're likely to miss, so they prefer to stay in place and attack or overwatch; second, they only know you're in overwatch if they have LOS to the troop(s) in overwatch, and they don't always seem to communicate well with each other, so an enemy might take an overwatch shot because they can't see it when they start their move, even if another alien can. Because of the former, you can sometimes pin an enemy against a car that's about to explode, which can be useful earlier in the game when you're not likely to hit, and/or you can't reliably deal enough damage to kill. Also, you could make an enemy stay in half-cover so that your sniper can finish them off next turn (useful when the overwatching soldier has a low chance to hit.) Because of the latter, you can get free shots vs enemies that move into your vision during their turn, and you can set up traps.

A couple more things to note about overwatch:
Overwatch activates when you move out of an overwatched square, not into. This means that corners can prevent overwatch shots, as well as just barely moving into sight. The aliens will make good use of this.
There are a few abilities that effect overwatching, and they're all affected by Training Roulette: (ability spoilers, obviously) namely, snipers normally get Opportunist, which removes the penalty and allows crits, and supports normally get Covering Fire and Sentinel, the former of which allows reaction fire before attacks in EW, after attacks in EU, and the latter of which allows two overwatch shots per turn. Opportunist is great regardless, and all of them can be great (especially in combination) with Training Roulette turned on.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

Considering "We Have Ways" exists is there any reason not to start in South America?

It's the easiest continent bonus to get, as it only takes 2 sats instead of 3 or 4. N.America and Africa get you benefits sooner, as you have to have Arc Throwers and the containment facility before you can benefit from S.America. I usually go Africa, as there's just so much stuff you want to build asap, and more money makes it easier.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Vicevirtuoso posted:

Beat the game last night. Was a little disappointed to see that the game ends up suffering from Civilization Snowball Syndrome -- the game's difficulty just continues to drop as you get more goodies; after about the third month I had only one death aside from the cutscene death of your supreme psychic at the end. Though the last mission was pretty tough. So I have a few questions:

• I had my covert operative get Mimetic Skin near the end of the game -- my only one with that mod, since a lot of my Meld went into making 2 MEC-3s. I noticed that the operative stayed cloaked when moving to new cover. Is that just a visual bug or can you actually run around in perma-stealth as long as you have full cover?
  • Does the end-of-month ranking have any effect? It was a little irritating when I cleaned house on every mission but got a C because I couldn't take down the Large UFOs with my jets while I was working on getting Firestorms.
  • Is Psi Panic ever worth it? All it's ever done has given my enemy free shots.

• Mimetic Skin turns you invisible when you move into full cover (or half with someone who has Low Profile), as long as the move started outside of enemy line of sight. If you're already invisible and enemies can't see your current position, you can move again that turn and stay invisible.
  • I believe getting a high ranking gives a funding bonus. Something like an A being +15%, maybe?
  • Something you could do with psi panic is have an invisible scout use it on an inactive alien. It'll activate them, but they can't see you until after their panic action, and they won't have any actions on their upcoming turn.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

For research:
Outsider Shard by the end of the month, as you can wait to act on it afterwards, keeping it in your pocket for an emergency panic reduction.
Else, I'd probably suggest Lasers because you have a high-aim MEC pilot, so give her an even better gently caress-off gun to more quickly take care of high-health enemies.

For spending:
Sats, they pay for themselves and let you limit the aliens' movements.
Since that's a relatively long-term plan, if you decide to add in some other projects while you're waiting, Foundry Support, if you have enough money. So many things there to improve your capabilities.

Oh, and Shadowrun might be an interesting game for the group to play. It kind of addresses the whole "losing your humanity via changing yourself with technology" thing, which some XCOM staff claim to have concerns about. At least in the latest edition, which is all I've played. Bonus points if the GM is the only person who knows the game, and it takes a month or two to get everyone's characters made and have them gain a basic understanding of the rules.

Gurren Lagann would be good to get everyone pumped up, although they might start pestering the chiefs as to when they'll develop actual giant robots.

Telum fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 21, 2014

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

On topic: I can't decide if armor or lazers are more important. You'll start finding enemies with bags of HP soon, but also those enemies will be capable of one-shotting un-armored units with a crit, even with their leveled-up health.

I'd say it depends on your playstyle, really. If you tend to be pretty cautious, advancing slowly and taking care to activate only one pack of enemies at a time, lasers are probably better, since if you only activate one pack at a time you can more likely kill them on that turn. If you're a bit more aggressive, armor would probably be better, as you're more likely to activate multiple packs at a time and not be able to kill them all before their turn. Both of which might seem a bit counterintuitive at first (i.e. a more cautious player would probably prefer researching armor first, since that seems to be the more cautious, defensive thing to do), but I do think they work well.

Telum fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 22, 2014

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

If Depth Perception counts as a general vision improvement, I would love to never have to deal with glasses or contacts again.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Krysmphoenix posted:

I thought about that too, but I've become rather attached to my glasses. Think I look better with them. It's weird, if given a choice of these ten things, that would be the first thing I cross off the list, while some people would leap straight for the chance.

Yeah, I can understand that. I suppose I misspoke, it's not really the glasses themselves I dislike. I do actually like them, and do think I look better with them (though, then again, I can barely see myself without wearing them); but I hate having terrible peripheral vision, and being all but blind any time I don't or can't wear my glasses. Contacts help, but I've had (very painful) issues with them before, and don't wear them anymore. Prescription goggles help for one of the most prominent situations I can't wear my glasses for - swimming - but they tend to be expensive or of fairly poor quality.

I'd probably wear non-prescription glasses, though, were my eyesight to be fixed.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I think what Speedball was going for was that it's easier to hit, because the plasma has a larger margin of error. The laser's probably about a centimeter across, the plasma shot is probably a couple of inches.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Chard posted:

The fine print says they'll fix you by genemodding you into a snakeperson tho

.....and where's the catch?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

I sometimes envision a sci-fi scenario in which a group of about 100 people is isolated and, by some means, prevented from increasing their number (only as many births as deaths). In a number of ways, I think they'd be happier.

I'm not claiming it's accurate in regards to how people would react to such a situation, but Gurren Lagann presents that kind of scenario, at least for a while.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Major Bureau spoilers ahead.

My guess for Cobra Commander is Carter. He was controlled for almost the entire game by an Ethereal, and was very upset about this. Him wanting revenge against XCOM makes sense.

My guess for XCOM Commander is the scientist you can pick to be the new Ethereal host, I forget his name. His personality seems to fit best; the Commander neither seems obsessed with revenge, nor does he seem to view XCOM's technological advancements solely as military applications.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The only problem with that is he was an old dude fifty years ago. I don't exactly see him surviving to the present day.

Fair enough. I forget quite how far apart the games are. Maybe being an Ethereal host (even for a short time, which could explain both the xcom and cobra commanders) grants unnatural longevity?

......or someone pulled a Mosaic and we just haven't seen the Commander in person because he has no body left.

Oh hey look, we're turning this into a Bureau thread, not only in content but also in form!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I tend to gnaw on some metals, and sometimes I just really throw money into stocking my food, but I would love to know how some people deal with spicy peppers and bitter coffee.

• Locked thread