Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'll throw one of mine from the past.

10 year old me didn't have a desert brown, and a limited budget. Yellow is the colour of sand right?

Camoflauge for the Disco world!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This reminds me that one time Gately did a video at Valhalla with the guy who created Dropzone Commander. They were playing a demo game and the most notable thing about it was Gately routinely commenting on the guy's English accent, to the point where the DZC guy started to get rather annoyed (he even said "It's OK, I don't mind if you mock me" at one point). :v:

Yeah, I had to feel for the Hawk guy, new game, needs publicity. There are some prices you have to make, but that smacked of a deal with the Devil.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

On the plus side, I am now actually feeling pretty motivated to paint, knowing that even my most sloppy, half-assed jobs are at least better than BTP's "professional" standard. :v:

And the thread wins.

I was an average painter back in my you - for a 10-17 year old. I took a break and now I'm painting again, and I used to consider myself an average painter. But looking at stuff from BTP and Mantic and Dakka Dakka threads, I'm willing to upgrade myself to Good.

Current scale reads

Thats a model? -> Terrible -> Poor -> Blue Table Painting -> Average -> Above Average -> Good -> Great -> Amazing -> Is that really a model?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

JerryLee posted:

I can definitely see what I imagine everyone is talking about as far as the shortcomings of that Land Raider but it's still something I'd accept as a "I just painted my first tank to tabletop standards" model. A lot of the colors and edges need to be evened out but I'd still rather see it across the table than the THIN YOUR PAINTS crowd.

But then again, I am a solidly mediocre-to-adequate painter who hasn't ever painted any tanks himself.

By my scale, that puts you at "Blue Table Painting Level" :)

Its not that its a terrible paint job - its terrible for a PROFESSIONAL paint job.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Yo it's interesting to talk about Nazi wargamers, but unless you have images, can you please go and have this chat in the historicals thre-

this owns actually

I Think I painted his mate last year in the Oath thread.......

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The one on the right seems to be dieing of shame as we watch.......

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Its sad when you see a photo and go, "I recognize those form somewhere".

Ten seconds later you click its your brother posting and those are the guys you spent a happy few years killing.

I wonder where the Chaos unit I made from bitz are. some of them were pretty terrible if I remember.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

They look like they are from a group of well meaning but stupid bunch of robotic adventurers, attempting to disguise themselves as Tau by balancing the heads of dead soldiers on their heads...

So many of these bad models seem to have a story behind them....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

JcDent posted:

Well, lucky me that I can't afford any kind of painting service, let alone $720 poo poo-that-barely-looks-better-than-mine. For reference, that's about twice-thrice as much money I spent on food and stuff in university, and it's more than half my current scholarship.

People with disposable cash. :smith:

I always get shocked that people have $700 to spend on getting stuff painted! I'm not poor by any means, but with a normal life I have to justify every purchase and spread stuff out. having a birthday in January tends to mean I get a glut of models at the start of the year then spend the rest of the year painting them, with the occasional purchase in between.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Daedleh posted:

http://www.bluetablestore.com/premium-experiences-and-services/blue-table-painting-buy-the-company

Yours for only $440,000!

It even includes business mentoring and tutoring from the same person who thinks that a webstore is the ideal place to advertise the sale of his business!

Crap! I just thought that was their normal inflated prices. I did think it was a little steep for a Pro painted skeleton.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I have to love the younger officers expression. He has no idea what to do in this situation!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

I neeed to know about your avatar

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699835

We live here.

That's my prowlers swarming his Zeus commander - waiting to inject plasma into him.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

What loving games don't you play?

But seriously thank you all for the answers.

40K or other GW derivitives.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hark, What Light from window break? Tra-la-la, Ta-le doo!

"Is he seriously serenading an orc"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ugleb posted:

I can't believe I forgot this. Oh! The nerd shame! :doh:

Edit - I just asked my wife what she would call a female He-Man and immediately said She-Ra. This is a major reason I married her tbh.

I re-iterate my firm belief that you are not my brother, and my parents are playing a cruel 30+ year joke and raising me with a Chimpanzee.
The Shame.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I **think** That's supposed to be a elder thing from the cthulhu mythos. Starfish shaped at both ends with a barrel like barrel.
I think I just lost San.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The blood coats everything, but still we drive on.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So finding 15mm Hueys is a bitch, so someone has put these beauty's on ebay.

Badly painted yes, but not the worst the tread has seen, and only £20 for 6! wait....

They are converted pencil sharpeners!

The worst part is part of me wants to buy them and see how much work it would be to convert them into usable models. I'd have to figure out how to make a flight stand though.....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Unscrew the blade and stick some brass rod into the screw hole? You could even thread the rod and screw it right in!

Screw it, their a bugger to find and would be £10 each - I'll have a go! and report back - at least bow I have 4 slicks, a dustoff and using the parts left over from the Gunship I got off the wife for Xmas, I should be able to build a Hog as well!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Battlefront makes 15mm Hueys in several configurations. Are they out of them?

Yeah. You can get hogs but a lot of the Vietnam stuff is drying up.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

WYSIWYG is a rough mistress.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So I mentioned these guys a while ago - Huey Pencil sharpeners.

I just finished my rescue project on them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Those flight stands are brilliant.

Cheap tool retrieval tools hot glued to mdf bases. with the metal blade in the pencil sharpener, you have a solid attachment.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Harkonnen?

Yeah, thats the Baron.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I really need to see if I still have that chaos regiment I kitbashed when I was about 14. Any left over sprue, hammered together with no green stuff..

It was glorious....

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

lokipunk posted:

He does have torch feet :swoon:

That and the cloak are an accident waiting to happen.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Really the thread should just be renamed "The best and the worst. The model (UN)insperation thread."

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hamshot posted:

🎜Hello my baby hello my honey...🎜

That was the first thing in my head as well.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

How are you doing?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Great. More cheesy puns. Just so stale.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

DiHK posted:

Honestly I've had a hard time finding ww1/Prussian/biker style iron crosses for my 15mm ww2 Nazi tanks. The best I've found so far is 3rd party Black Templar decals.

It makes me wonder if anyone has ever painted nazis in confederate colours to double down on the stupid.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've got a ton of plastic Golaith guys in my garage. They are all the same sprue that was free on a cover of white dwarf when necromunda came out the first time.
My dad worked at a newspaper distrbuters, and they binned returns bar the front cover. So every time GW gave a free model Ugleb and I got a tonne of them. They were 90% Goliath as the other was the more popular Orlock.

I often wonder if they have any value.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

As his older brother. No comment.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

How did you get my first bloodbowl minis?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It was crazy and violent. Most RnM fans don't actually get the show. Hence the sechane sauce riots. Even though it was obvious to anyone with a brain it was never going to be mentioned again.

Not a terrible model though.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Stole a toothless person's teeth, and a blind person's glass eyes

Grandad lives on in some form.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

"Where is the LZ commander?"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

NSFW, - What happens when the Trojans attack before you are ready for battle.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Pretty sure this is accurate. Naked dudes fighting is pretty historical

Improbable Lobster posted:

In artwork, not really on actual battlefields AFAIK

Yeah, no sane person fights a battle naked. They wrestled naked, but going into battle? Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

When titans are constipated.....