Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I unironicly love this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Holy poo poo, now I want to make a chicken-legged baba yaga hut for my weirdboyz so bad.

Oh my god YES.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I've got no problem whatsoever with female marines. I do have a problem with the quality of the painting and modeling!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Those rhinos are adorable. They look like the vehicles I made for my action figures whe I was in elementary school. :3:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

C-can we go back to Scrunts and adorable cardbord vehicles?

Please?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

She's just a devil woman, with evil on her mind!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I've not been painting super long, but I've already noticed huge improvement in my techniques. The key factor, in my mind, is not being afraid to ask for help. Learn from others. If you see something really cool on the forums, ask how they did it!

If there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that people who are really good at something are usually more than happy to talk about it. Use the mini painting thread. Don't be afraid of criticism--the vast majority of our community wants to see you get better, and will offer CONSTRUCTIVE advice.

Don't be upset if you don't look perfect from day 1. Nobody ever does their best work starting out. Practice. Don't be afraid of 'wasting' a mini. Simple Green/Purple Power/etc are cheap. You can always strip it down the road and paint it with your new skills.

Experiment with new techniques! Ask for advice if you need it, then try it out! Mistakes happen, but in painting they're pretty easy to fix. Just paint. Don't worry about perfection; EVERYBODY can find something to dislike about their paint jobs.

And remember, the camera brings out all the tiny flaws you'll never see on the tabletop. A Guardsman's face that looks a bit sloppy in a high resolution closeup will look fine from tabletop distances.

tl;dr Talk to our more experienced painters, and don't give up. Practice works!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

The Commissar(s) can be Javert!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I got the one with a chainsaw and zombie as a free bonus last Christmas. Need to paint them still, but they're pretty adorable.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

That's hideous and entirely breaks Tau aesthetic. Ugh.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I see absolutely no problems with the wolfnaught.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Those assassins are loving fantastic.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I was looking for a metal Green Knight to buy, because drat that mini is gorgeous. Instead, I found this:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

This is actually good (and proper orky), though!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

I'm laughing at the use of bear guy. But for that money I'll just buy a NIB unassembled kit, tyvm.

Like FOUR NIB unassembled kits. I'm totally down for Bearguy Tau, though.

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm the lady with the whips, whipping other almost naked ladies

Colonial Air Force posted:

Don't kink shame.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 7, 2015

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

JcDent posted:

"Tyrant-san, Hivemind-sensei is away, but don't be sad, I can be your koibito!"

On unrelated, more pathetic news:

Apparently some people were arguing how celestially animated warrior spirits/spirit animated armor/whatever the celestials are can blow a horn with a metal mask - and it turned out that the painter had missed the chin opening, and painted it gold.

drat them all.

EDIT: Lol, heraldor.

Well, to be fair to the painter, that's literally the first Sigmarine with actual skin showing.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Who says there aren't? Have YOU seen under that armor?!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I'm at work right now and can't really go looking, but I'm sure TFWiki.net has a screenshot somewhere of the scene in the 1986 movie with the faceplated Constructicons blpwing trumpets. That's what this reminds me of--goofy animation from an 80s cartoon designed to sell action figures.

Except even then, Transformers had a far more compelling setting than Age of Sigmar!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Yeah. They're absolutely tabletop quality, but for "this is awesome you should buy this RIGHT NOW" they're... lacking.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

The paint job on that Freddy Mercury is incredible.

poo poo, now I want an actual Freddie Mercury mini.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I have two main issues with the tau missilemania mech. One, guns being directly attached to the body don't mesh well with having a head. IMO, it should either have arms or lose the head--I'd lean towards dropping the head. Two, the leg pose does not work at all with that body and armament. It worked alright for the new broadside and the riptide because of their more humanoid shape and the lower mounting of their main guns--it gives the impression of a person bracing to fire a big gun. On this, the guns are mounted like a Battletech mech, but it's standing like a humanoid mech. There's a disconnect there, and it really bugs me.

tl;dr I'm a nerd

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Every one of those would make a fantastic avatar.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

A giant robot that's weak to rain! Also, that has to be hell on the pilots' ears.

I'd be fine with it on an Imperial mech--it fits their 'lovely remnants of the glorious past' aesthetic--but it's totally out of place for Tau.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

JcDent posted:

So, you take the legs off a Knight, and torso without shoulder, add Whirlwind batteries instead of arms, hang tarantulas/bolters under them, and add... some knight weapon instead of a Railgun.

Yes, I see how that would work for an extreme amount of money.

Really, it's basically only the feet and emblem that say 'tau' about this mech. Maybe the style of the big shoulder gun. Overall, it really doesn't look like one of their mechs.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Helen Highwater posted:

The Rob Liefeld of titans.

No way. It has feet.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

No Pun Intended posted:

I was starting to give Mantic the benefit of the doubt then they release chubbs the magic dragon here:

The abyssal dwarf creature's head is better but it still uses the same terrible body

While that dragon is pretty chubby, if you want to see good minis from them check out their hard plastic scifi stuff. It's great.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Also I actually quite like those dragons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't know - personally, I don't think this is bad. Sure, you may not like the style, and it's not a job requiring any particular skill (other than using an airbrush) but for a tabletop standard, it's certainly better than having an unpainted army. The base overspray is particularly bad, but that's likely an oversight before they took the photo.

Hell, I plan on doing my Vampire Counts army in a similar fashion, simply because I don't have time anymore to paint an entire drat army.

This is from ages back, but I'm catching up on the thread and I want to comment on it. It looks to me like it's sitting on the bottom of the pool. If it was on an undersea base, it'd be rad as gently caress.