Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Shallow posted:

A reminder that I started http://yourterriblehobby.com/ a while back for this sort of poo poo, terrible fanart, and other evidence of hams being terrible human beings.

This rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Ugh, it's so nicely painted too.

I'm pretty sure none of it is painted other than the bases.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Vermintide posted:

How are these guys still doing business? How is it even legal for them to keep and sell and army if the customer is displeased and doesn't pay the last 35 percent? Just how?

Blue Table Painting makes a commission-based painter like myself feel a mixture of pride ("heh my poo poo is SO much better than them") and horror ("oh god they get more business than I do despite painting like literal poo poo what the gently caress").

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I knew BTP were lovely but this is something else. If they were operating in the UK they would be breaking the law with that poo poo. It is blatantly misleading advertising and a product not suited to the purpose. And if they tried to confiscate your goods they would be crucified.

I think the best part is that slowly but surely, people are being warned about their poo poo paint jobs and questionable practices. Still too many clueless people out there giving these dipshits money though.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

You put this in the wrong thread.

edit: The tray is a baking sheet :allears:

There's been several pics in here that sure as hell don't belong in here because they're loving rad as hell.

See:

SRM posted:

Weeeeee

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

he didn't actually pay 28,000 dollars, that's just what it would cost if he chose to have his entire army (9k points of CD) painted up to 'level 7' by BTP

So how much DID he pay for the whole thing?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

I think it was something like 14 bucks per dude in the infantry squads and $250 for the centerpiece monstrous creature stuff. That's what I remember from his thread on Dakka and the first vid is all.

That's insane. It's more than I charge for my services for what is my standard tabletop-ready level of painting.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

People are willing to pay a lot for the brand for whatever reason.

I think that has to do with how aggressive BTP is at advertising itself.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Dark Souls.jpg

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

The Land Raider is especially bad because there's parts of it that are just flat-out unpainted, or clearly only had one coat of paint sloppily put on there.

gently caress, I don't think they even drilled the barrels on the multi-melta.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

Thats a model? -> Terrible -> Poor -> Blue Table Painting -> Average -> Above Average -> Good -> Great -> Amazing -> Is that really a model?

Doc Thunder -> Poor -> BTP -> Average -> Above Average -> Good -> BULBASAUR -> serious gaylord -> SRM

:v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I like how just filling in details and adding blood splatter makes them a drat sight better than BTP.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

moths posted:

That poo poo pisses me right off, while at the same time I'm OK playing historical games that have actual model Nazis in them.

I've been trying to put my finger on why that is - I think it has a lot to do with the person's motivation.

It has to do with context.

Historicals is one thing. There's an acknowledgment that yes, there were Nazis in WW2, so if you're playing a WW2 game then you're going to have to deal with them at one point or another. Playing as them isn't even really seen as weird because well, SOMEONE has to play them, right?

But in 40k it's just jarring because while the Imperium is a xenophobic hell-hole, they are not literal Nazis goose-stepping through the streets and killing jews. Warhamms draw some really weird and terrible people, and when someone is putting Nazi poo poo on their far future space-men you can just tell there's something hosed in their head and that they might just think that Hitler had some good ideas.

Basically anyone putting Nazi symbols on Leman Russes is That Guy to the extreme.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

rkajdi posted:

EDIT: I almost want to start up a real noob painting thread, where there's a serious emphasis on feedback and easy ways to improve your painting. Not sure that would go over well, since it's effectively a "hugbox" where you try to get people up to the internet painting par. But when you have a painting thread where you say the minimal supply buy-in is $25 with fairly nice stuff (for a novice) I can't help but think we should do something directly for the "my first marine" crowd.

I do think that is a good idea, but I wonder if that won't just be kind of redundant with the Miniature Megathread and/or stepping on its toes.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Huh, good point.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SRM posted:

A guy on Dakka, for whatever reason, has enlisted Blue Table Painting after the recent debacle to "show what they're really like!" and white knight the gently caress out of them:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/622435.page

Results are... ehhhhhhhh

If someone appeared in the painting thread with this and said "yeah this is my first real attempt" I'd think "yeah dude you're doing pretty good!"

But this is from a "professional" painting company and it just makes me :smith:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

JcDent posted:

Just hope that Native Americans don't become a thing in Malifaux.

They sorta do. Joss is a native american (and when Wyrd was just making generic models, he was the rather tasteless Injun' Joss).

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

I assumed that commission painters got by doing stuff like what EEB was saying, using airbrushes and stuff to save a lot of time and hopefully not spend as much time working on a mini as you would at home [because you probably don't have an airbrush]. Which is not lazy in my eyes, just a reasonable way to lower your labor cost at the expense of relatively-steep piece of equipment. Still doesn't seem crazy lucrative, but some folks seem to make it work.

Honestly the only reason I do commission work is because I don't have a steady job and it's my only real means of income at the moment.

If I got ANYTHING that paid better you drat well bet I'd stop slaving hours over other people's poo poo.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Whenever I see these stupid, awful pinups I can't help but wonder what they'll look like once their fanbase gets a hold of them and actually paints them. Imagine that model painted up to the standards of THIN YOUR PAINTS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c

What they'll be covered in won't be paint.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

spacegoat posted:

So I was trying to talk myself out of trialing the MWG Vault when I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDrfCI1edcE

Mission accomplished. I challenge you all to make it a minute in.

I watched the Star Wars Holiday Special all the way through without Rifftrax.

Turned that video off after 15 seconds.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

I decided to look up some classic unspiration, only to find it's been updated!

For those who know of them, and those who are new to them, meet The Fighting Tigers of Veda!

Welcome to the Jungle!
http://www.fightingtigersofveda.com/

What gets me about this guy is that he's been doing this for I think a decade if not more, and his skill at painting has not improved at all since then.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

starkebn posted:

Why is it always MLP? where are all the Ben-10 conversions? Or Pokémon out something else cool?

Something something autism crossover something something

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Those remind me of wonky anime fanart

Funny you should say that.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Looks like it was done in 2001.
I Google'd "United States Marine Corps themed Space Marine army" and found this on the first image result:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011209...thanComanse.htm

Individual pics here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040416194732/www.newwave.org/gw/eventscoverage/gtchicago050501/nathancomanse/index.html

Those are loving rad.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Sorry but that rules.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I can't remember if this has shown up in this thread yet

If this was in an early 90's White Dwarf it would not at all look out of place.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Soulfucker posted:

Awaken, my masters!

:golfclap:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I FEEL THE WARP OVERTAKING ME

IT IS A GOOD PAIN

Yaoihoof

I don't even know

And uh some sort of blonde fleshy boob-dragon I guess

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Hold on, is this a Jokaero army?

Yup.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Guess we know where all the REAL augmentation went.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

SERPUS posted:

I hate this thread because most of the paint jobs are better than mine. Am I still free to heckle?

You don't have to be a director to claim that Battlefield Earth is a terrible movie. Go ahead.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

:krad:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Still looks better than Abaddon.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

That's straightup Walmart-shopper-in-sweatpants-butt.

Miniatures of Walmart.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

This counts, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

No question. You're a goon.

I find malifaux super-weird and pretty gross but given the usual reception it gets, I can only conclude I'm a crazy person. I've seen Infinity minis get more outrage than the bizarre poo poo malifaux does.

I'm a fan of Malifaux but there's a lot of stuff that's skeevy/problematic. Zombie hookers being one of them--I get the angle they're going with there, sure, because the guy who raises them is basically Jack the Ripper. But it's still weird and kinda gross. Which, I suppose is intentional.

The Ronin and the Victorias being stripper cheesecake models despite being accomplished and dangerous swordswomen is not really acceptable in TYOOL 2015, though.