Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Ratchu posted:

i dont like the "non canon" stuff. its fanart we know its not canon but why do you need to point it and uh i guess harm your fan
Hi there! Yeah I took the "NON-CANON" off Zach Dewd's guest comic title. You're right, it doesn't really need it. I added that "NON-CANON" part to the title just now for a few minutes because I was in the process of uploading another guest comic that I felt needs the "NON-CANON" part in its title (it's a really awesome 3-parter by Luck Punch, the guy that did the Mark guest comic a while ago. In this new comic he's also going to areas I haven't yet explored in the story.)

I don't mean any disrespect to the artists by pointing out that their guest comics are non-canon. The truth is I was only trying to avoid confusion. When the "Mark in Hell" guest comics came out, there were quite a few people who thought that was a part of the "main story." That *MAY* be partially my fault because an artist asked me to write a Katie comic for them to draw and I did and I pointed out that one as "canon."

I'm open to suggestions on how to point out "guest comics aren't canon unless I write them myself." It may not even be something that absolutely needs pointing out; maybe I'm just being a weirdo. I really don't want to seem like a jerk!

Anyway, guys, I really appreciate your guys' love for IT HURTS. It's a hell of a lot of fun to do and it makes me happy to see people enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Did you find us in the general webcomics thread first?
I did, yeah! My best friend / editor pointed it out to me a while ago along with this thread. I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for me to pop in here and say hi and stuff, but anyway... HI! Please don't mind me.

Araenna posted:

Your comic is awesome and you are awesome.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Hello sir, thank you for making an enjoyable comic that has brought much mirth into my daily life.

Paladinus posted:

Gobolatula, you are cool.
Thank you so much!!!

Literally Kermit posted:

Maybe you making criticisms is what summons Gobolatula to this mortal plane. MAYBE YOU ARE SOME KIND OF CRITIC WIZARD

Where does 'Gobolatula' come from, anyway? I always think of Gobo from Fraggle Rock.
Nah I just didn't want people to get the wrong idea and think I was trying to be mean to my fans or something.

"Gobolatula" is a word my old buddy came up with around '99 or so. He was half-asleep and some Usher song was playing on MTV or something and he said, "This song sounds like... gobolatula." He was trying to express his disgust with it. He said "gobolatula" as if he smelled something awful. I laughed very hard and that afternoon I made it my AOL screen name.

Cat Mattress posted:

Well, maybe, instead of tagging the non-canon ones as [NON CANON] in the title, you could mark the canon ones as [CANON]. That'll imply the others are non-canon without insisting upon it.
That's a really good idea! I think I'll do this.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Leroy Dennui posted:

What's Pasqualo's favorite anime?
Sailor Moon. A bit oldschool, but he basically grew up watching a bunch of VHS tapes his mom left behind.

Hellsau posted:

When can we buy Volume 2?
I'm not sure when I'll put out volume 2. I have up to comic 222 done right now, and almost all the comics I've drawn since comic 101 have been 6 panels or longer, buuuut I think I wanna have even more comics than the first volume in vol 2. Plus I'm trying to find a way to naturally "cap off" the volume like comic 116 did for volume 1 (that's the comic where Ally and Pasqualo walk away from the burning house). I wonder what I should do for the 2nd volume's cover. I was thinking maybe a more elaborate version of the panel where Pasqualo does the elecric cannonball with Trisssh in the pool flailing around but I dunno.

plain blue jacket posted:

glad you did something nice with your cash from it hurts dude
Oh man yeah. Thank you!

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like the Gobcast thingy
Thank you very much. It's pretty fun to record. Kind of a pain to edit, because I pause a lot when I talk because half the time if I'm talking about something that requires thought I try to choose my words really carefully. I'm paranoid of sounding like a dummy.

Wicker Man posted:

Seriously each of your characters, even the smaller ones, are fantastic.

Shadeoses posted:

I love Peeplops.
Thank you thank you!! I like that little guy too. He's so weird. I still don't "understand" him at this point, hehe.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I bought your book and do not regret it even one bit. You do good work, man. Seriously, honestly, unironically good. Which is rare for a webcomic!
I'm happy you enjoy the book! Thank you for the sweet sweet money!

Accordion Man posted:

Yo Gob, thanks again for the sketch of another one of Pasqualo's Dad's masterpieces in my book. It is the best.
My God that was the most fun thing to draw. I have to go to a really strange place to find the things that Mr. Trianglini decides are worth painting.

Okay folks I'm gonna disappear for a bit. I really hope you guys like the next batch of comics I have stashed up. Take care, everyone! Thank you so much for reading!

Gobolatula fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 6, 2014

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

I love that so much! Can I pretty please put it on my site? If so, how would you like to be credited? Do you have a link to more of your art?

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Literally Kermit posted:

(c) S. E. Cave donut steals

Although as someone pointed out, he done hosed up that last one. :mad:
Oh yeah!! Those are great and I'd love to put them on my site if he gives me permission to do so!

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Ahhh, sorry. It should work fine now!

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

mr.capps posted:

Trisssh is played by Tig Notaro
Oh man that would rule. I am all about this. Actually, I'd be into an all Tig cast. Tig playing every single character.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

I hosed up. Here's the corrected version where Tubsy's sexy-rear end skeleton is wearing the correct clothing.

Gobolatula fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 13, 2015

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

ArchetypeBlue posted:

Gob, if you're reading this, you could definitely ask for more money without coming off as a greedy rear end in a top hat, protip.
Eh. I didn't wanna push my luck. Thank you so much for your contribution! I was waking up this morning checking my email on my phone and saw, "Hey! You got a $15/month patron" and I was like "WHOA!" I really didn't expect such generosity so double thank you, dude.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Little Mac posted:

Hi gob. You got my ten bux. Good job good comic man.
Thank you so much! You're seriously awesome!

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

I can't decide if I want book 2 to end after this Hellbeast arc or the arc after it. Most likely the latter to be honest. Either way, book 2 is gonna be a lot thicker than book 1. I'll be getting back to work on the extras pretty soon, so hopefully when I have all the comic content ready I'll just be able to shove it into the book, order a proof, look at the proof, smile, and put it up for sale! I suck at estimating the timing of things, but I'll do my best to have it out before summer.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

gob you glorious bastard was this intentional
Yes and thank you!

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

Yeah, this doesnt seem like a webcomic at all. Gob, have you tried writing novels or short stories?
In high school I attempted to write a super serious novel about a high school boy with powers who was a super cool loner and he was a really deep character because he had girl trouble. And he had a bunch of so-called "FRIENDS" that did all these super terrible things like SMOKING CIGARETTES that he would always be irritated at he'd always make sure to give them a piece of his mind. If I remember correctly, in the end the main character died in a car accident and had a Tetsuo-ish transcendental awakening and the girl he liked cried a lot and I made sure to go into detail about her sad sad tears. I'm a piece of poo poo.

I did write a bunch of silly short stories and used to post them online but I got rid of them because I was embarrassed and I'm not even sure where they are anymore.

Thank you very much for the compliment!

Anyway, I posted these bad boys on Twitter yesterday but I wanted to share these directly with yous guys. It's an 8-part series called "I'll Kill You." I made these laying in bed on my laptop using the line, rectangle, and even the circle tool in Flash. There's a 2-year hiatus I took in the middle. I needed the time to do research and develop the story.

Here you go:

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

I really hope the title is a reference to the oft-underrated track from Danny Elfman's brief solo project. The lyrics really fit, darkness can never laugh too long if you laugh in it's face *creepy Danny Elfman laugh*
It most definitely is!

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Hi folks! Just to let you know, I reached my first Patreon milestone today and I'll be recording my podcast with my friends every month!

We'll be recording our first podcast in a while tomorrow, so if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll answer them!

Thanks a lot for your support, guys!

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Operant posted:

I read this comic and I thought it was kind of bad at first but it turns out it actually is The Tits

Thank you and holy poo poo that is an awesome picture! Is it cool if I put it up in my site? If so, could you pretty please send me the biggest version you got in an email? Gobolatula@yahoo.com

You kick rear end.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

I can't believe your Patreon is actually so cheap Gob. I decided to stop by today and see when i could afford the monthly contribution, and it turns out that's right now. I mean, I can find 3 bucks here and there each month and now I get one comic ahead of all you chumps and chumpettes, plus the behind the scenes posts are super informative. I had no idea you did so much research!
Hahahaha! Thank you very much for your contribution!

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Trisssh's face in the second to last panel is adorable :3:

Hey Gob, are there any decisions you made about the story (that we've seen so far of course) that could have gone in completely different directions?
Absolutely, yes. I talk a little bit about it in the podcast that I'll be putting out later this month. But yeah, the only part of this story that was properly planned was the beginning. Everything after the apocalypse has been made up on the spot mostly. I've had lots and lots of plans but I've thrown lots of them out the window for the sake of something better / funnier. Originally after the apocalypse the whole story was gonna be Pasqualo, Ally, & friends VS Aurora. Like, for the rest of IT HURTS. I totally threw that idea out the window and I'm really really glad I did.

The Hellbeast encounter was gonna happen a lot earlier, too. I dropped little hints as soon as they got back to the school. I didn't feel like dealing with that poo poo so I sent Ally and Pasqualo off on an adventure to find Katie and I figured I'd deal with it later. At one point it was gonna be dealt with by Aurora alone when she returned to the school and neither Trisssh or Mr. Jones knew she was super powerful. In the end I decided to make The Hellbeast thing an Ally story. Her thing with Tubsy, her getting payback, etc. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out for the most part.

Another thing I was gonna do differently was Katie's rescue. Originally, Pasqualo and Ally were gonna have nothing to do with it and completely forget about Katie. Ally and Pasqualo were gonna re-unite with Aurora after a few months of them wandering around aimlessly and Aurora was gonna fly Pasqualo around and show him the world much like Aladdin did to Jasmine. When they were flying around it would cut to two people looking up at the sky. Surprise! It's KATIE! Remember HER?! And who's this mysterious lady that resembles Pasqualo?!

One thing that might upset people: Tubsy was supposed to come back like almost immediately after the apocalypse. I'm sorry!

The vampire girl Judith was supposed to actually be part of the cast. Changed my mind.

With this stupid comic I tend to put tons of thought into some parts of the story and very very little in others.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What was Tubsy going to come back as? Was he going to be a zombie like ally or something even stranger?
Some kind of badass demon. I kept imagining him hatching from a big gross hell egg kind of like Femto from Berserk.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Kgummy posted:

So it turns out Skullcap Frank was in comic 100. And I only found out because it's tagged with him. I'm kind of curious if that tag was always there
Nah the tag was "zombies" until they re-appeared and I asked the dudes on 4chan to name them.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Literally Kermit posted:

I still get a kick out of the meta-joke you did with Judith; even for all the two strips she was in, she still got a tag!

Which is another question! When Ally 'borrowed' Judith's eyeball, it looked like she could move it! Could she 'see' using it as well, or does she just magically 'see' out her eye-socket in general?
Thank you very much!

Anyway, the only eye that Ally can see out of is her remaining original eye. She just stuffed ol' Marceline-wannabe's eye in her socket just to see what would happen and because she found the idea of killing someone and and using their eye as a replacement to be really funny. She tossed it away because she's actually proud of her eye hole.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Hi folks! For anyone who wants to watch me do boring work on the 2nd book, I'll be streaming that for a few hours starting right now. I hope it's okay that I'm posting this here. I don't want to be Mr. Spammy Pants.
http://www.twitch.tv/gobolatula

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

I've started making the extras for book 2 already. Mostly the character info page drawings. I'm sorta working on it here and there each week after I've finished my 3 comics and random Patreon stuff. It's coming along slowly, but we'll get there. Though I still think I wanna wait 'til 1 more arc is finished before getting serious about it. But I dunno, we'll see.

As for Trisssh's age, I'd say she's about the same age as Pasqualo and his buddies. A teenage snake bitch. I didn't give that away at first because I didn't want to explain "where she was" before the apocalypse.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Asgerd posted:

I thought that was Aurora. Aurora Boreanaz, get it?
Yup. I can't take credit for that one, though. I was talking to my friend/editor Josef when I was drawing this sketch and I was like, "Dude wouldn't it be funny if I just gave her the last name "Borealis?" He then suggested "Aurora Boreanaz."

Josef is also the brilliant mind behind the name "Peeplops."

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Quick question about that name: is it pronounced "Pee-plops" or "Peep-lops"?
It is pronounced "Pee-plops," sir.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Oh, dag nabbit.

gibb3h posted:

http://gobolatula.com/ithurts/?p=1916
Thank you Gob, now I can get it in the UK :D
No problem! If you decide to buy it on Amazon, please let me know how it works out for you. Hopefully the shipping isn't horrible anymore.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Gob should post a textless version so someone can get the picture as their av with the text as the words.
Here you go, sir:

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Halfway through Hiatus Month. Hope you're doing okay, Gob!
I'm doing well! Mainly taking it easy and doing some work on the book 2 extras. I'm looking forward to coming back in May!

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Wicker Man posted:

Although, I've been hearing some talk about why some webcomic creators aren't happy about their stuff getting rehosted on other sites, and I'm a little worried. I can understand why, but I wonder if Gob is ok with each release being put up here?
I honestly don't mind. If you want to put up a link to the comic on the site, that would be really cool of you, though!

Here! I made this for you guys. It doesn't really mean anything; I just wanted to try to make something kinda cute.

I hope you guys enjoy the upcoming arc! It's weird and stupid. We'll get to meet some new strange characters who I'm starting to really love.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Blackheart posted:

What does it say in his neck?
"Hot dog bun."

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

Took their bodies off their heads. That is an excellent wording, unironically.
I can't take credit for that one. It used to be "heads off their bodies" but my wife suggested the other way around because it's much creepier.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

I need a png of panel 6 so bad

Here you go, sir.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Pavlov posted:

"Uh, he was like, a black guy, with, uh, short hair and, like, I don't know like a black guy."

Is this the man you're looking for?

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

I woke up this morning and noticed I hosed up the feet and it was really, really bugging me. I couldn't stop thinking about those ugly monster feet! For a second I thought I was becoming Tarantino! BA-DUM-TRISSSH! I deserve to be murdered. Anyway, here's a slightly better version:
http://www.gobolatula.com/ithurts/somechickyellingatatelevision.png

EDIT:

I'd like to take this opportunity to let you guys know that if you have any questions for the podcast, feel free to ask away! We'll be recording tomorrow.

Gobolatula fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 5, 2015

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Blackheart posted:

Wait a minute REUSED PANELS!?
I actually drew a version of the last panel with her holding a banana:

I decided not to use it for artistic and creative reasons, obviously.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Hi guys. To those who are already pledging or thinking about pledging to the IT HURTS Patreon, I want to let you guys know that starting in July, I will not be offering any extras and will be removing the milestones. I'm really sorry about this. If you're a current patron, I understand if you decide to stop donating, that's totally cool with me.

Long story short, things at my job are getting pretty busy and I've decided to go back to school. In the coming months, I wouldn't be able to promise that I'd have the time to draw the sketch requests, do the stream, and make the podcast each month as well as making sure there's a comic update every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

I will also be changing the payments to occur every 14 comics instead of each month. I think this makes a bit more sense, since from time to time I post extra long comics that I'd like to stay on the main page for longer than usual.

To those who have pledged so far I'd like to thank you for helping my dream become a reality: I'm getting paid for making goofy-rear end comics.

I'd like you guys to know what I've been doing with the money I've gotten from Patreon. First of all, I've been giving some of it to my friend Josef who's been my editor / adviser for this comic since the beginning. Secondly, I've been setting some of it aside for when I make an animated IT HURTS cartoon. Odds are I'd need some help making that thing. I'd like to pay everyone that helps me with it. Also I've been giving a bit of my money to my local animal shelter because I love all sorts of stupid critters.

No, I'm not going on hiatus right now. IT HURTS will keep chugging along and I'll keep doing my best to entertain you guys. Me and my buddies will still podcast every once in a while and I still plan on eventually putting out a cartoon.

If I get more free time in the future, I will definitely throw back in the extras.

Thank you for being awesome

<3 <3 <3
gob

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Wicker Man posted:

I think it's Gob's personal friend who also acts as an editor to keep his stuff in line.
Confirmative!

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

On the back of The Principal's neck it says, "hot dog bun."

On the back of his leg it says this:

haha, I'm an idiot.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Ballz posted:

BTW Gob, is there an ETA on when volume 2 will be available. I... I still need to buy volume 1 so I figured I'd get them both in one go.
I'm hoping I'll be able to release it either late this week or next week. Sorry it's taken so long; I've had to iron out couple of silly issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

tlarn posted:

This but the size of a poster

If I remember correctly, I drew this in a stupidly high res in Photoshop. I hope to God I still have the psd file floating around. If I do, I may be able to make this happen.

• Locked thread