Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Sentencing for McDonnell isn't until Jan 6. Isn't that kind of a long time?

I found this kind of odd in the article I found on abc news:

quote:

During the next phase of sentencing, family members and friends will likely contact the judge directly, traditionally by mail, to plead for leniency for the former first couple of Virginia.

Also so they can attempt to bribe and/or threaten the judge I'd guess? I mean, why are we giving them 4 months to beg the judge to not be mean to them? Is the long delay before sentencing to give time for the inevitable appeal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Joementum posted:

In a weird twist, trickle down economics don't actually work and even Kansans get pissed off at their legislators when they have to start cutting critical services and raising taxes on the lowest income bracket.

Yet they will continue to vote straight ticket R every election despite the GOP being the ones who advocate and implement those policies.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

DeusExMachinima posted:

Already covered this and so has the legal system. If it's sincere it's A-OK. Only a threat of violence justifies such a response, ever. And yeah, I have been on a seriously bad receiving end of this before you talk about privilege.

You're late to the party. Everyone else knew I was a fatshamer racist ever since I went to the right of Leon Trotsky. Jinx!

So as long as you are sincere about hating gay people it is already to drive gay teens to suicide. That may be the most lovely opinion I've ever read, and on D&D that is saying a lot.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Conservatives claim that the method of accounting the bank uses is faulty and in reality they lose money. Oddly, the biggest complaint against the bank, and the thing it has been repeatedly sued for, is not properly assessing the environmental impact of projects it funds, and at one point funding a coal plant that it had ruled as too environmentally damaging. I doubt heritage foundation cares about that tho.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Joementum posted:

The Senate just failed to invoke cloture on S.J. Res. 19, the Campaign Contribution Constitutional Amendment by a vote of 54-42.

Totally didn't see that one coming.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

TheGreyGhost posted:

Remember how Republicans convinced everyone that Obamacare would totally just make everyone's hours get cut like Papa John promised to do?

Turns out it's not actually the case because economics is something more than giving a soft handy to business

Too bad the GOP doesn't operate on little things like facts.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Hillary Clinton is an 80s republican. The modern GOP are loonies who should never be given any type of responsibility, let alone allowed to "govern".

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

anonumos posted:

And because the Democratic voters DON'T loving VOTE.

Don't worry, all of those potential votes were statistically insignificant so there was no reason for the Democratic Voters to put in the effort to vote.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Republicans want to force a choice between the US or world economy burning(pass disastrous budget or don't raise debt ceiling). Democrats do not want that. I call that a difference worth voting over.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

SKELETONS posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juanita_Broaddrick , plus the (nonviolent) episodes with Flowers and Lewinsky. In Hitchens' book on Clinton (a shortened version of the relevant chapter is here: http://www.salon.com/1999/03/16/news_195/ ) he claims there was another woman who alleged sexual assault that he considered credible but she was too scared to go public. It's a pretty clear pattern.

quote:

According to Jack Nelson, Washington bureau chief of the Los Angeles Times, many journalists were skeptical: "This is a story that's been knocked down and discredited so many times, I was shocked to see it in the [Wall Street] Journal today.... [E]veryone's taken a slice of it, and after looking at it, everyone's knocked it down. The woman has changed her story about whether it happened. It just wasn't credible."[8] Joe Conason and Gene Lyons' book The Hunting of the President argued that Broaddrick's claim is not credible and contains numerous inconsistencies.

From your own wiki article.

edit:

Joementum posted:

Paul Ryan has a recommendation for his party, "Hey, maybe we should come up with some policy ideas."

He goes on to say that one of those ideas should be repealing Obamacare and replacing it with a Republican alternative. What would be in the Republican alternative, you ask? :iiam:

Didn't they reveal their plan, which was just tax credits towards insurance?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I just would like to say that all you loving assholes who are going "if you don't have a glandular problem and you are fat it is all your fault and you should get insulted and bullied and rejected by society" absolutely loving piss me off. My wife has a fuckton of self esteem issues now because she has gained a bunch of weight as a side effect of all the crap ton of medication she has to take in order to be able to sleep(mid to high doses of an antipsychotic, an antidepressant, and a bunch of other medications that are usually prescribed for mental conditions, but are also useful for insomnia), all because assholes like you are perfectly willing to judge all overweight people the same.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

LolitaSama posted:

On the other hand, a loss in November will rattle the GOP to its very hollow core. They fully expect to win the Senate, and being unable to do so will cause mass hysteria. It'll weaken the sway of Tea Party extremists who have long pulled the party farther and farther right. The opposite viewpoint will become dominant: to win, the Republican party must compromise. Under this scenario, the Congress may actually begin working on some of Obama's more centrist initiatives like a highway bill or restoring the Voting Rights Act.

Oh please, we all know that if they don't gain the senate it means they weren't conservative enough and need to go even further to the right somehow.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They mean ran off. He was arrested at his mom's house a few days later.

This is a common enough meme, but how many insurance policies actually cover erectile dysfunction drugs?

Most of them I am pretty as far as I know. I know both the ones I have been under in the past 10 years did (I know this because I checked when that was brought up previously).

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Trabisnikof posted:

The arguments Republicans use is that things that only Women use shouldn't be covered because Men can't use it. If they weren't insane, they would also argue that things Men use that Women don't shouldn't be covered either. Really, they're just being dumb about the way insurance pooling works to come up with a "witty" argument.

However, the vast majority of posters in this thread range between full healthcare coverage for all to single payer to socialized medicine.

Anything would be better than these HDHPs they are making everyone use these days. Should be loving criminal.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Brannock posted:

I imagine it's also a great argument for increased paid sick leave.

HAHAHAHA, you are funny, you think that US Corporations give a crap about the health of their employees. Have of em die to an ebola outbreak? Meh, hire some more college graduates.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Fried Chicken posted:

In good news, Michael Dunn was just found guilty of first degree murder for the death of Jordan Davis in his retrial.

For those of you who don't recall, 17 year old Jordan was in the back seat of a SUV that parked next to 45 year old Dunn at a gas station. Dunn ordered the teens to turn their music down, when they didn't Dunn screamed "You can't talk to me like that" and drew a 9mm pistol, firing 10 shots at the SUV as it drove off. 3 struck Davis in the liver and lungs, killing him as he drowned on his own blood. Dunn then resumed waiting for his fiancée to leave the gas station, went back to his hotel room and ordered a pizza. He didn't bother mentioning the incident to anyone until the police tracked him down 2 days later, where he invoked the state's "Stand Your Ground". At trial Dunn contradicted his own testimony and recorded evidence multiple times, and maintained Davis had exited the vehicle and pointed a shotgun at him (contradicted by video and forensic evidence). He was convicted of 3 counts of attempted murder for shooting at the other teens in the car, and had a hung jury on Davis, this indicating that the lesson to take from this was he should have killed all 4 for the crime of being teenagers and then he could have walked.

Despite conviction at retrial, Dunn maintains he is the victim here for defending himself from Davis

Were the other teens also black? Because I really wanted to edit your post to "he should have killed all 4 for the crime of being black teenagers" because really, that is why he almost got off the actual murder.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

I'm rather surprised he was convicted of the attempted murder charges then.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

JT Jag posted:

I edited my post to clarify.

Ah, reading your edit I can kind of understand the jury's problem, and that makes them a lot less of racist shitheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Pohl posted:

I think the relevant fact is, it took two trials and two juries to convict him. Sure the first jury agreed that he had committed attempted murder against the other people in the car; but the actual murder... they couldn't agree on that charge. It took two trials and two juries to convict him of murder.

To be more exact, they couldn't agree he had performed premeditated murder. They agrees he performed intentional murder, but not that it was premeditated. Given the difference in punishment between first degree and second degree murders in Florida I can see why the prosecution was aiming for First Degree, but I'm not sure I can 100% blame the jury for not being able to agree that it was first degree.